European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ludens the Red

Because they both make bank from a competition formed as a breakaway that has caused enormous damage to the leagues below, and they take every opportunity to rip fans off for every penny they can.

They’re only outraged because they sense financial ruin
Did either of those entities attempt to remove very specific clubs from divisions (not based on merit) and place them into a newly formed league?
Because unless they did it’s not the same.

Also, I don’t think the Pl caused enormous damage to the leagues below. The championship is the most lucrative second tier division in the entire world. More lucrative than some top divisions.

Bad and incompetent owners caused the financial ruin we’ve seen in lower league clubs. If anything the Pl and FA were irresponsible in the sense they just allow people to freely take over football clubs in this country.

For all the horror stories of Wigan, Bury etc. There’s many football league clubs with competent owners who have benefitted from the structure and financial merits of the premier league and football league system in this country.

Spoony

The People's President
You're absolutely right mate. I don't think that anything set in stone but nevertheless im fecking trembling, not less because United is sadly all I have and id fecking hate to lose it.
If it happens folk who support these clubs like us and most here will probably lose their passion (yet still follow...)but the majority of football fans are probably casual therefore would gladly tune into a super league weekly. And that's the cash cow. But I'm confident it won't happen.

Schneiderman

They won't give the slightest toss what "local" fans think. The international market will lap it up and they're a much bigger source of revenue these days. Your average Chinese fan isn't going to complain about more "big" games. Most of the people who protest it won't actually stop following the club/football altogether either. It'll go the same way as the green and gold brigade did, with a big outcry followed by a gradual return to normality as people realise nothing's going to change, bar a few real hardcore people (which, again, the people who run these clubs couldn't care less about).
Yeah you're right there, the global fanbase won't care. Maybe it'll lose popularity though if the matchgoers stop, and there's no atmosphere. Fake crowd noise to become permanent.

Personally I'll be done with it though, and go follow my new local team. And I'm by no means hardcore.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Anything that hurts UEFA and FIFA is good. Two organizations who are only functioning because of decades long corruption. Can't trust them to have a readonable view ob that.

We barely do anything in the Premier League these days, do we think we're going to do anything good in a European Premier League? God i HATE these owners, greedy American capitalists
They won’t care about winning it, if even finishing last will double their profits that’s all all that matters to them.

Don't Kill Bill

I would hope the Govt intervenes. It is deliberately anti competitive. Just ban any club who signs up to this from playing in England.

jesperjaap

If this happens, people will moan a bit then still renew their season tickets.

They keep making changes but get away with it because, in normal times anyway, the grounds are still full.
Yes, sadly truth in this. If things progress and they break away with out the premier leagues consent, the fans in Europe can easily destroy the whole thing by boycotting the channels with rights for the games, boycotting the matches at the stadiums and not buying any club merchandise......but I would expect ther would bee a lot of numbers of "Well it has happened now, and we are playing Barcelona after all and this is my club so I will buy the shirt with pride" etc etc.

Personally dont know enough about the whole system and breakaway to personally comment. There is always an initial outrage to change and of course from initial reactions it sounds dreadful, purely greed and a huge danger in financially straining times for most league clubs but would need to here more.

I dont get it anyway. Isnt always a bad thing to update systems and rules, they can be good. The ending of the back pass rule for example was a god send and the restructuring of the champions league was a success.....but on the same token there have been a lot of daft rule changes, especially to the judging of pjysical sliding tackles that are making the game poorer...............but the premiership and la liga are brilliant leagues and the champions league is a great competition......why on earth would anybody think changing or leaving those is a good idea, isnt needed.....at all

Bertie Wooster

I really hate the sound of this, if it means United won't compete in the domestic competitions any more. That, to me, would make supporting United something very different. And not something I'd enjoy anywhere near as much.

At the moment, from a competitive level, the balance is just about right for me. I love the European competitions, but only as an addition to the domestic season. Not instead of it.

I get that, from a business level, all clubs are wanting more - and the big clubs are the ones in a position to do something about it. And I can understand the threats / bluffs from both sides.

But if the Super League really does come at the cost of domestic involvement for the top clubs, and international involvement for the best players, then that would be a really sh*tty development in the ever evolving sport and would be the biggest change I've ever known in it - and by far the worst.

SwedishFish

Arguing with another member
Or perhaps it’s just a massive football fan speaking openly. He gets slated by cnuts like you for sucking up to the glazers but when he’s condemning them in a passionate speech he’s doing it for his own interest/sky’s interest.

By the way, these super league games will still be shown on TV you know?
They will control the revenue which is what this is about you tosspot.

I'm not sucking up to anyone you idiot.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Great idea. United being so rich and now no longer in a position to pick and choose players, as other lower placed teams also got rich. With super league they can get the players again. Is just good thinking IMO

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
There was only one way to stop the European Super League and that was to ban any clubs including the likes of United and Madrid from participating in any UEFA competition the moment they spoke about the super league idea. Since UEFA didn't have the balls to do that, theyt have no leg to stand on now. They can go cry in a corner it won't do shit now.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
What’s this announcement at 9:30? Just in the title here and people on about it on Twitter but not seen anything official

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Did either of those entities attempt to remove very specific clubs from divisions (not based on merit) and place them into a newly formed league?
Because unless they did it’s not the same.

Also, I don’t think the Pl caused enormous damage to the leagues below. The championship is the most lucrative second tier division in the entire world. More lucrative than some top divisions.

Bad and incompetent owners caused the financial ruin we’ve seen in lower league clubs. If anything the Pl and FA were irresponsible in the sense they just allow people to freely take over football clubs in this country.

For all the horror stories of Wigan, Bury etc. There’s many football league clubs with competent owners who have benefitted from the structure and financial merits of the premier league and football league system in this country.
Situations don’t have to be 100% identical to make those involved hypocritical.

Re the bold, the only reason that’s true is the value of promotion to the PL which is the problem itself.

As a very high level overview of the financial situation in the Championship take a look at the Deloitte annual review of football finance, those clubs have to pile in enormous amounts of money to chase the PL dream and it causes big issues.

Mr. Ant

Sky will quickly chnage their tune when they buy the exclusive rights
I doubt there will be a middle man like Sky or BT if this Super league goes ahead. It will most likely work like football version of netflix. Either as a pay per view or a season pass but it will much more expensive because why not?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I doubt this will actually happen for a variety of reasons but the hypocrisy of Sky and the PL is highly amusing.

In the unlikely event it does happen it’ll probably be the final straw for me.
Yes, it’s worth it purely to see the pant-wetting on display from sky and others

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I mean, the FA were against the formation of the European Cup 'as it would damage the integrity of the English game', refused to adjust kick off times and threatened to ban us from the league if we delayed a kick off (bearing in mind that air travel was more difficult back then)
The difference being, the European Cup was being pushed for by people like Busby, who viewed it as the ultimate test of domestic sides against Europe's elite and not a glorified SPL being pushed by oligarchs to guarantee income at the expense of sporting values.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Sorry but can somebody tell me what's the format of the new league if it's already known or proposed? Is it a Champions league or Premier league rival league, Does it mean we are dropping out of Premier league and other teams out of their respective leagues?

RedMarcus

If this means no longer playing in PL or domestic cup competitions then I'm done with watching elite football and will move to watch national league and below.

If it is a replacement for the Champions League and Europa League then it becomes less of an issue. Whilst is strongly dislike many things about the current format of European football - in particular the way the draws and league phases are rigged to keep big teams apart, I would probably still prefer the existing set up to this new Super League (further details pending).

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
If it happens folk who support these clubs like us and most here will probably lose their passion (yet still follow...)but the majority of football fans are probably casual therefore would gladly tune into a super league weekly. And that's the cash cow. But I'm confident it won't happen.
Hopefully you're right. Hopefully this is a rattling of cages but nevertheless it's still seismic .

Coops73

T

They did the same in 92...well sort of.
Yes but it wasn’t a 1 tier system, clubs can come into and operate and compete in the premier competition and those clubs that are relegated are compensated. From what I’ve read it’s not even remotely close to being competitive and inclusive.

I can't wait for this announcement. If our clubs, of all clubs, says it is willing to leave domestic and UEFA competition, in order to form a separate league, there will be total meltdown. I'm going to hold it together until the details emerge.

El Zoido

It benefits us though, better we’re part of it than not. Game died when we allowed billionaires to make nothing clubs like City in to world-beaters. Anyone against this is basically saying they’re happy with Man City and PSG being the only clubs with money. Because this is the only way anyone else will compete. These clubs are just being smart and realising that if they don’t protect themselves then they become a footnote in football history to state/oil clubs.

Ludens the Red

Yup...
Said this in my last post. FA and PL should have done more to stop these owners coming in and doing what they want. For all the benefits clubs like Chelsea and city have had, there’s tonnes of other clubs on their knees because of the Pl, FL and FA not protecting clubs from snake owners. I mean look at what happened to Wigan.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The premier league allowed our takeover, despite us opposing it. They allowed the takeovers of Liverpool and most importantly Chelsea and City...because obviously those takeovers were dripping in sports washing. Seems a little bit after the hose has bolted to be whining now.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I can't wait for this announcement. If our clubs, of all clubs, says it is willing to leave domestic and UEFA competition, in order to form a separate league, there will be total meltdown. I'm going to hold it together until the details emerge.
There is zero chance we will leave the PL. We’ll give them a share of the tv revenue and all will be good again.

RedMarcus

Sorry but can somebody tell me what's the format of the new league if it's already known or proposed? Is it a Champions league or Premier league rival league, Does it mean we are dropping out of Premier league and other teams out of their respective leagues?
My understanding is that the Premier League would have to agree to any team wanting to break away and play in the new competition (which is highly unlikely to happen) so teams would have to leave the existing domestic league and cups and european cups altogether if they chose to play in the new Super League instead

Ixion

I can already imagine the games played in dubai, quatar and saudi arabia
Your Season Ticket which used to get you a seat at Old Trafford will now be access to a streaming service you can watch all the games online with.