Evan Ferguson - Top Irish Prospect

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Atalanta was going to accept £50m and we opened with £60m so….
Yeah I’ve heard that rumour too. I’m not saying it was the right amount, but most clubs in world football by now know we are often desperate and have more money than sense at United.
Personally I’d rather spend big on a Ferguson/Hojlund than a Casemiro or Zlatan for example.

InfiniteBoredom

Yeah I’ve heard that rumour too. I’m not saying it was the right amount, but most clubs in world football by now know we are often desperate and have more money than sense at United.
Personally I’d rather spend big on a Ferguson/Hojlund than a Casemiro or Zlatan for example.
I’m not following this, so because we’ve had our pants pulled down repeatedly and developed a reputation for overpaying, that means we should keep overpaying in the future?

Rojofiam

Is this actually true?
It’s paper talk you never gonna get confirmation one way or another but it was widely reported by late June/early July that they wanted €50m base with add-ons taking the whole package to €70m so there’s some credence to that story.
From an Athletic piece from December 2023

"Atalanta had told Hojlund he could leave for £50m, and United communicated they would draw the line at £60m, but then agreed a fee worth £72m during all-day talks in Bergamo that lasted until 3am. Atalanta had demanded £86m for a player they signed for less than £15m just 11 months earlier."

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

"Atalanta had told Hojlund he could leave for £50m, and United communicated they would draw the line at £60m, but then agreed a fee worth £72m during all-day talks in Bergamo that lasted until 3am. Atalanta had demanded £86m for a player they signed for less than £15m just 11 months earlier."
That needs pinning up in the office whoever now does the negotiating to show how not to negotiate.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Is this actually true?

That needs pinning up in the office whoever now does the negotiating to show how not to negotiate.
The same article also states Murtough walked in knowing we had a ceiling price set for Mount at £42m, and that we had a good chance given his contract situation and how he was set on leaving.

He left paying £55+5m.

Plant0x84

I’m not following this, so because we’ve had our pants pulled down repeatedly and developed a reputation for overpaying, that means we should keep overpaying in the future?
Sorry, seperate points that kinda crossed over.
To be clear, I don’t think we get Ferguson for £40/50m because young talent doesn’t come cheap. Just last season he was quoted at twice that.
I also think the ‘United tax’ will make players more expensive for us, as will the perception of being owned by the UKs richest man.
I admire Sir Jim’s notion of not overpaying for players but given the last 11 years he will struggle to break that preconception without missing out on big talents.

DomesticTadpole

Sorry, seperate points that kinda crossed over.
To be clear, I don’t think we get Ferguson for £40/50m because young talent doesn’t come cheap. Just last season he was quoted at twice that.
I also think the ‘United tax’ will make players more expensive for us, as will the perception of being owned by the UKs richest man.
I admire Sir Jim’s notion of not overpaying for players but given the last 11 years he will struggle to break that preconception without missing out on big talents.
Ferguson was playing when those prices were quoted, now he can barely get a start. Brighton might have to wind their necks in a bit.

Plant0x84

Ferguson was playing when those prices were quoted, now he can barely get a start. Brighton might have to wind their necks in a bit.
I doubt they are desperate to sell him to be quite honest. With that contract extension he signed any interested party will have to pay Brighton’s price to get the player.

DomesticTadpole

I doubt they are desperate to sell him to be quite honest. With that contract extension he signed any interested party will have to pay Brighton’s price to get the player.
Probably, which shows we never think to contact agents and see if they are interested before they go and sign long contract extensions, therefore screwing ourselves over.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Showing real signs of a consistent injury record, surely our scouts have seen this and we can get him in ASAP?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Strange season for him. Full of promise last season, £100m transfer fee plastered on him, and he's been injured for what feels like 75% of the season.

Hammondo

Strange season for him. Full of promise last season, £100m transfer fee plastered on him, and he's been injured for what feels like 75% of the season.
He's not been good when he's played, too many people jump to a high price conclusion.

He could become good, but he's not shown anything amazing.