Evan Ferguson - Top Irish Prospect

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
They're both raw, promising centre forwards who are about 3 months apart in age. That's what I meant by "similar profile of player".

You're not going to going for Ferguson for the kind of money Brighton will want. Not a chance.
You'd think one would do a quick google before saying this...;)

Zebs

I actually did! Was a year out doh.

Doesn't really change my point though.
A year and a half out! But yes, I don't disagree with the general point.

MegadrivePerson

Another blank today.

20 or so games without a goal is it?

Tá sé overrated if you ask me.
4 months without a goal for club or country.

Missed a penalty for Ireland at the weekend too.

Another example of a player being massively overhyped based on a very small sample size.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Few months ago, fans were happy to spend £100m on him. Another example of why fans are no experts.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Few months ago, fans were happy to spend £100m on him. Another example of why fans are no experts.
Reinforces my view of having a spending cap for individual transfers for the next three years. We need a phase where we develop the team and play style and it won’t happen with expensive and risky splurges.

KeanoMagicHat

It's a story as old as time, second season isn't as good as the first one. He's 19, he'll be world-class one day. That's why it was the right decision to stay at Brighton, should stay there until 21 or 22. Brighton will have patience. If he went to Chelsea or somewhere it would have ruined him.

Some of the same people are acting like Mainoo is going to be the greatest midfielder of all-time when I wouldn't be surprised if he struggles a bit next season too. Success isn't a straight line.

tomaldinho1

I remember saying United offering £50m for him in the summer before we bought Hojlund was a fair bid and many posters feeling it was super low. Everyone can see some potential but he's a kid, it's like our fan base now acting like Hojlund is incredible, everyone wants to think they have the next massive talent but in truth many will be average to good. Mainoo I do think is different - not that he can't fail and might not make it - because his skillset is very different to the usual player coming through. It would be like if Ferguson was in the mold of Lautoro Martinez, a highly technical second striker who can create, press, hold the ball up and dribble and basically isn't usually what the UK has tended to produce and so I feel you have more of a chance as a player.

Edit, and by UK I obviously mean UK and Ireland

IrishMcD

I remember saying United offering £50m for him in the summer before we bought Hojlund was a fair bid and many posters feeling it was super low. Everyone can see some potential but he's a kid, it's like our fan base now acting like Hojlund is incredible, everyone wants to think they have the next massive talent but in truth many will be average to good. Mainoo I do think is different - not that he can't fail and might not make it - because his skillset is very different to the usual player coming through. It would be like if Ferguson was in the mold of Lautoro Martinez, a highly technical second striker who can create, press, hold the ball up and dribble and basically isn't usually what the UK has tended to produce and so I feel you have more of a chance as a player.

Edit, and by UK I obviously mean UK and Ireland
If you mean UK and Ireland, just say UK and Ireland. Because saying UK doesn’t “obviously” mean Ireland as well

tomaldinho1

Appreciate that but it’s not “obvious” that saying UK also means Ireland. Appreciate that ya edited it though, and tried to clear it up. fair play.
I realised it might mistakenly cause offence and I said obvious because I think most people are aware the UK does not include Ireland and Ferguson is not from the UK. Not that it is inclusive of Ireland as well.

Oranges038

Second season syndrome.

He's still only 19 and could yet post double figures in goal for the second season running.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Imagine the pressure on players at the highest level when at 19 you're either Definitely Worth 100 Million, or Actually Shit. He still has plenty of time to develop at Brighton, who are still rightly easing him in.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
If you mean UK and Ireland, just say UK and Ireland. Because saying UK doesn’t “obviously” mean Ireland as well
This.
Edit: Ah was reading through and see subsequent very sensible exchanges

Giggsy13

We need a more experienced option and a forward who adds something different to Hojlund. If budget and financial restrictions weren’t an issue, it’s any easy choice to go for Lautaro Martinez over Ferguson, who is definitely looking overrated.

Oscar Bonavena

Sorry lads, this lad is overrated. Poor hold up/link up play and not much pace. Decent first time finisher if he's on the end of a chance but he's not going to get many of those at Brighton or Ireland.

Noticeable that Adam Idah, who's nobody's idea of a top player, was far more mobile and effective than him as a front man v Switzerland. Ferguson was dropped deeper to accommodate this and was very poor.

I think Irish fans are so desperate for a world class player to emerge that we cream ourselves over any prospect that comes along, and it rarely (practically never) materialises.

Red Star One

Young player has a dip in form in his second season in the PL. It's hardly shocking and completely expected at 19. He's got plenty of time.
I'm less worried about his games without goals than I am about his limited minutes and the fact de Zerbi seemingly trusts duds like Welbeck more than him. Yes, the second season syndrome is a thing, yes, he should be playing a more important role in his team already. I was and I remain extremely hyped about this lad, make no mistake. But he might be lacking something, it might have to do with his physicality, fitness and endurance.

Zebs

Not sure how reliable Ben Jacobs is as a journalist but apparently he's saying Ratcliffe sees Ferguson as the ideal type of signing he'd like to make.

Steve Bruce

Not sure how reliable Ben Jacobs is as a journalist but apparently he's saying Ratcliffe sees Ferguson as the ideal type of signing he'd like to make.
The flat season he's had will hopefully make his fee more realistic. 100m plus is unreasonable. Around half that would be about right

Shark

@NotShark
Ferguson and Hojilund would be two great rotational young and learning strikers to see grow at the club. Think the competition against each other would spur them on to become better.

InfiniteBoredom

Ferguson and Hojilund would be two great rotational young and learning strikers to see grow at the club. Think the competition against each other would spur them on to become better.
Or we will have two expensive, very inconsistent centre forwards on rotation for the foreseeable future.

You can’t have them all, the sensible thing to do now that we’ve bought Hojlund and he’s already shown promises is bringing in an experienced striker to complement him.CR and Rooney didn’t come good by having similarly talented players vying for the same position, they did by playing significant minutes behind more experienced pros until they were ready to take over.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Brighton have just announced they made more profit in a season than any English club ever (and that didn't include the Caicedo sale so they'll probably beat their own record). They aint selling this dude on the cheap.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
It was more a comparison of position reputation and age.
Ahuh, I get that. Just hoping Berrada (and a man on the phone who sounds suspiciously like Ashworth) explain to the rest of the decision makers that £60m-£80m fees should be the exception not the rule. “lads, start low, negotiate” :)

From soundbites, sounds like Ratcliffe doesn’t like the idea of paying big money on one player… which makes sense given the number of holes we have.

In the good old days when we were tweaking a smoothly oiled machine (a bit like City do now), I can see Ferguson makes sense. Just might be the one who gets away because of situation/timing.

Rojofiam

Ratcliffe will not be making transfer decisions. He's putting a whole new structure in place to run the club for him. His personal opinion should hold about as much weight in our transfer related decision-making as yours or mine. Nada.

Regarding Ferguson: He's too similar to Hojlund. Similar profile, similar currrent ability, similar ceiling. Even if we played with 2 strikers, which we won't, it's not a good idea to bring him in.

First of all, we need different options. Flexibility and versatility within the squad. Just like Arsenal having 3 very good, but totally different type of strikers in Havertz, Jesus and Nketiah.

Secondly, neither Ferguson nor Hojlund will be content with playing second fiddle to one another. We play with one striker, just like most top teams around. You can't hoard world class talent for 1 starting XI slot. We need someone like Cavani in 2020 to be a sub for Hojlund. Someone that will accept their role, but be ready to come in and make a difference when needed. Not a world class talent, like Ferguson. Bringing him in is not how you build a squad, especially when you consider how many real gaps in the squad need plugging.

Last edited: