Evan Ferguson

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
That’s the results from his strength. I watched the hattrick he scored and 3 very average goals.
18 year old scores 3 times against one of the best teams in the league, and you're unimpressed because they weren't all worldies.

OK.

Conor

The big downside I can see in him at the moment is how slow he is.

poleglass red

He’s getting overrated fast now. All three goals yesterday were lucky/Pope’s fault. His general play seems pretty good, but he also seems cumbersome at times. He’s nowhere near Rooney’s level of talent.
He's 18, to put that in perspective, Amad is 21, and still hasn't broken into our team, yet we rightly still talk about him being an exciting, raw prospect. This lad is in an exciting team and look like he fits in effortlessly. Like any player he has his strengths and weaknesses. As others have said, your cumbersome observation was levelled at Kane for years. Will he do it over the course of a season, like Hojlund with us, we don't know, time will tell, but both lads show enough ability that if you're a betting man, you'd say they will. Rooney was 18 during the 2003-2004, he scored 9 goals in the league for Everton. If Ferguson stays fit, I'd say he beats that.

Baxquux

Not slower than Kane - in fact, looks more agile than Kane did (from what I remember based on fleeting impressions at least ) when he was appearing in Europe for Tottenham at 18-19 in-between the loans. People who watched more of Kane at the time have said that he still looked quite cumbersome. EF's still 'growing into his body'- De Zerbi and coaches are clearly trying to improve him physically as well as the technical stuff/decisions (which are both already v. good for his age) and that 'll include agility and acceleration.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
United have also been monitoring Brighton striker Evan Ferguson, who plundered his first Premier League hat-trick against Newcastle United earlier this month. The 18-year-old signed a new contract until 2028 earlier this year to protect his resale value and sources believe it is possible Ferguson could be transferred next year.
per Luckhurst.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Which isn’t surprising. I’d say all the top clubs are monitoring him.

Last edited:

Oranges038

The Jason Cundy, Jamie O'Hara bit from talkshite about him was hilarious.

Clueless clowns.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Do these guys not know the rules? He’s played for Ireland in a competitive game so therefore he can’t swap
The rules changed so that anyone who has played only three competitive games before the age of 21 can change their registration, meaning Ferguson would technically have to play one more for us before being locked in.

However, everyone missed a further change of that rule in 2021 which says it doesn't matter if the games are competitive or not. Ferguson has played 6 for us in that case and is therefore ineligible to switch.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The rules changed so that anyone who has played only three competitive games before the age of 21 can change their registration, meaning Ferguson would technically have to play one more for us before being locked in.

However, everyone missed a further change of that rule in 2021 which says it doesn't matter if the games are competitive or not. Ferguson has played 6 for us in that case and is therefore ineligible to switch.
Thanks for that, wasn’t aware of those changes

Bwuk

I think everyone will be in for him when the time comes. He's the next Harry Kane.

Marwood

Yeah and I think his weight is something he'll have to be careful with. Very thick set. It's ok when you're so young but as you get older it'll tell.

I thinl he'll be one of those where his best years happen in the first part of his career. Upto that 27 age.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Do these guys not know the rules? He’s played for Ireland in a competitive game so therefore he can’t swap
It's ridiculous and even if it was possible, he never would, the boy is Irish through and through, there's no chance he would pick England in a month of Sundays ... sadly!

lysglimt

Scout
He is the one we should be targetting next summer - go all in for Ferguson. Him and Højlund could be world-class.

saik

He is the one we should be targetting next summer - go all in for Ferguson. Him and Højlund could be world-class.
Rather go for Sesko. Brighton would demand another record fee for this guy.

saik

I’d rather the better player
I don't think there's much difference between them anyways. Certainly not enough to justify costing 50-60m more than Sesko. Brighton got 115m for Caicedo. They'll easily ask 150m for Ferguson.

lex talionis

If Hojlund lives up to expectations we won't be in for Evan. A shame we can't have both...or can we?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If Hojlund lives up to expectations we won't be in for Evan. A shame we can't have both...or can we?
It also depends on how the season goes. If we have no right wingers left at the club aside from Amad, that position would have to take precisence. Not to mention we will likely want a CB and RB too. A more reasonable second CF can be expexted. Would be a bit odd to spend 180 odd million and end up with two U21 CFs.

lex talionis

I don't think you'd ever ideally pair two strikers with their profiles. Besides, RedCafe declared 442 as dead a few years ago!
Aside from the financial barriers, it does seem implausible in the modern game to deploy two strikers with any degree of consistent effectiveness. You almost literally need two perfect wingers, two perfect fullbacks and two perfect central midfielders -- in the mold of Scholes and Keane -- to pull this off and that's a very tall order.

croadyman

I think everyone will be in for him when the time comes. He's the next Harry Kane.
He's a Utd fan which will definitely help,however we still need to show him we are going somewhere as a club. Also the small matter of being able to actually fund it

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
He's a Utd fan which will definitely help,however we still need to show him we are going somewhere as a club. Also the small matter of being able to actually fund it
A certain ex- Brighton, now Chelsea player was a United "fan" - didn't help

Devil81

He could end up being the player that City believe they can let Haaland go to Madrid for.

You can't accommodate both of them as both will demand playing time when his time at Brighton is done.

cyberman

He could end up being the player that City believe they can let Haaland go to Madrid for.

You can't accommodate both of them as both will demand playing time when his time at Brighton is done.
His dad works for the FAI development over here, there’s a big chance he goes the Bellingham route and refuses to join an oil club

Conor

How much faster than that does he need to be? Kane doesn’t even have that. Lewa hasn’t had it for years. It’s trivial.
It's absolutely not trivial, you've just named 2 of the best strikers in the last 30 years. If you don't have pace as a striker, you need to be incredibly good at everything else to still be elite.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Hes a United fan, so he will happily play at Brighton as a starter until we come a callin
He will be way out of our price range by then, unless we get bought by Qatari. Even with Sir Jim Ratcliffe, it will be too expensive.

Not buying Ferguson alongside Hojlund, to give us proper center-forward depth was a huge betrayal of our aspirations, by our spineless owners.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
That’s the results from his strength. I watched the hattrick he scored and 3 very average goals.
I will gladly take any striker that can score 20+ very average or even shitty goals for us, per season. It will do us wonders, and I would take that over 2-3 amazing goals that our current senior striker, Martial may or may not manage per season.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
It's absolutely not trivial, you've just named 2 of the best strikers in the last 30 years. If you don't have pace as a striker, you need to be incredibly good at everything else to still be elite.
He’s 18 years old, scoring goals in the Premier League. I think he’ll do alright.

Years ago people would tell you that you had to be quick to be a winger too. It’s utter nonsense.

He’s a quick as most centre half’s. Lord knows where this idea comes from that he’s some dawdling lump.

Also, He’s 18. He’ll get faster if he needs to.

Red00012

We’ve just bought Hojlund why would he in a for another under 21 striker and basically tell Hojlund we’re done with him? It’s not happening and that’s not even discussing the whole financial side of it . A 2nd back up striker is needed alright .

RedWilliam

We’ve just bought Hojlund why would he in a for another under 21 striker and basically tell Hojlund we’re done with him? It’s not happening and that’s not even discussing the whole financial side of it . A 2nd back up striker is needed alright .
Ferguson is a special talent. This club should be all over him.
And we shouldn't be limited to only using one striker. We could go with 4-3-3 or some other formation that allows both to play.
Not saying they are similar players, but like Haaland and Alvarez?

Status
Not open for further replies.