Everton FC captain Phil Neville: I'll never join Manchester City

Chiring

EVERTON FC captain Phil Neville has ruled out ever playing for, or going on to manage, Manchester City.

The former Manchester United defender, who had an 11-year spell at Old Trafford, says his conscience would not allow him to work across the city.

Neville, 32, made his personal feelings known ahead of the meeting between United and Everton FC tomorrow.

He said: “Joining City is not something that will ever happen. When you have got red blood you cannot see yourself with blue blood.

“You go there and they have blue ketchup... it’s just like ’What are they doing?’.

“I am not being disrespectful to City. I grew up a Red, hating City. When I go back I get absolutely slaughtered.

“It makes me laugh in a way because I understand what they are feeling. I think it is fantastic as it makes football special.”

Neville is pessimistic about making his comeback from a serious knee injury on his old stomping ground.

He said: “It was nine weeks ago on Sunday when the surgeon told me I would be out for 12 weeks.

“Then I looked at the calendar and saw it was ten weeks until United and felt it was fate calling. I thought that would be my comeback game.

“But as the time has got closer and closer... (I) have still got to overcome so many obstacles.

“I have managed to start running, kick a ball, twist and turn. But if you are not tackling four days before a Manchester United game it is going to be a miracle to play on Saturday. But you never say never.”

Neville added: “Emotionally, I am fine, and I want Everton to win without a shadow of a doubt. We need the points. When it comes to these games, the excitement to me is running out at Old Trafford again. It is the best stadium in the world.”

apologies if posted before....

I miss Phil...we could have used him about now....with all the injuries and all...
Love the Neville brothers....they are true reds....

Daily Post North Wales - Sport News - Man Utd FC - Everton FC captain Phil Neville: I'll never join Manchester City

Great Hat

'Blue Ketchup'? Great comments though, and that reminds me what a loyal servant Phil was for the club; and how he's clearly still United at heart, even if he does give his all for Everton and is one of their most consistent performers. Most players who've dismissed a move to City have said so because they're apparently not interested in the lure of the money, but Phil clearly has some more personal feelings on the matter, and it's great to see his connection to United is still the same.

It'd be nice to see him make a brief appearance this weekend, and he'd definitely get a good reception at OT; but if he's not fit then I guess there's no point them risking him. Top lad. :D

Justin

"I grew up a Red, hating City."

A lot of hate in the Neville family. :D

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
It's what we all expected and wanted to hear really.

But, whether City wanna bid for him is another question altogether.

unitedgogi

I find this funny considering he plays for a team with blue shirts.

"When you have got red blood you cannot see yourself with blue blood."

Bread

My mate's rugby team mate bumped into him in manc just after the fa cup semi and he joked to him about "i hate you now cos you scored your pen!" and he said it was one of the worst things hes ever had to do cos hes a red through and through

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
I wonder if he'd still feel the same if they offered him a £200k a week contract.

Sir A1ex

That's what is so great about him. He doesn't do the usual bollocks of feigning loyalty to try and win over the fans. Everton fans know he is red through and through, and they kind like it or lump it.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
I wonder if he'd still feel the same if they offered him a £200k a week contract.
You know what... I don't know if things like that would tempt a player like him.

All the players who have gone to City, with paychecks on the mind, you could understand... Phil Neville? Never

Eriku

Love that he's still a Red, and it shows how special this club is to many of its players. Many speak of their time at United as the peak of their career, and many old dogs come home and join our staff.

And harsh comment from the lads about the semi pen... He more than earned himself a score against us then after his heroics in nipping it in his own net in 2007 ;)

<3

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
That's great and all but I highly doubt City have or would consider signing him.

All good comments. I don't know why he decided to say what he did. He should have kept it simple: "Out of the two clubs, United are naturally close to my heart" and ended it right there. Stuff he says is a bit disrespectful to Everton supporters and the club that currently writes his paycheck.

Sir A1ex

Stuff he says is a bit disrespectful to Everton supporters and the club that currently writes his paycheck.
What, you think lying to them and feeding them platitudes would be better. From what I know of Everton fans, they know where they stand, accept it and respect him for it.
He also hates Liverpool which helps.

Widnes

Still a bit confused to how he started talking about City!
Unless City are considering a massive bid for Phil Neville in the range of £40m and Phil was asked to confirm or deny it.
He was probably asked about them with whats going on there and the fact he is a former United player, it's not like he will of just organised a press conference to tell people this.

phelans shorts

My mate's rugby team mate bumped into him in manc just after the fa cup semi and he joked to him about "i hate you now cos you scored your pen!" and he said it was one of the worst things hes ever had to do cos hes a red through and through
you could see it hurt him putting it in straight away, as he turned round he apologised to the fans IIRC and refused to go loopy celebrating at the end, the only one that did!

but does this really surprise anyone, its just like gary saying it they're born reds and love the club

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
What, you think lying to them and feeding them platitudes would be better. From what I know of Everton fans, they know where they stand, accept it and respect him for it.
He also hates Liverpool which helps.
I know, but at least he should keep it short and to the point when asked, and quiet otherwise. Be a professional. We didn't like Ronaldo making noises about Madrid all the time. Fair play to their fans if they put up with it.

I also don't see why city would buy him. He should have just played it down instead of appearing arrogant. I'm sure liverpool and city supporters will have a field day with this interview. I wonder which retarded journo asked this question?

Sir A1ex

I know, but at least he should keep it short and to the point when asked, and quiet otherwise. Be a professional. We didn't like Ronaldo making noises about Madrid all the time. Fair play to their fans if they put up with it.
But unlike Ronaldo, there's no suggestion that he's angling for a move - in fact, he's not even talking about United, just how much he hates City!
If Rio started going on about how, because of his West Ham roots, he hates Charlton. would you get upset?

I also don't see why city would buy him. He should have just played it down instead of appearing arrogant. I'm sure liverpool and city supporters will have a field day with this interview.
Well, maybe you're right, but you would have to be a scouse or city muppet to make anything of it. He clearly doesn't come across as arrogant or imply that he thinks City would try and sign him (though thinking about it, he's just the type of player they need, if a little old now!).
Here's a thing - I also would never play for City or Liverpool. Do you think I'm being arrogant in presuming they want to sign me?

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
But unlike Ronaldo, there's no suggestion that he's angling for a move - in fact, he's not even talking about United, just how much he hates City!
If Rio started going on about how, because of his West Ham roots, he hates Charlton. would you get upset?

Well, maybe you're right, but you would have to be a scouse or city muppet to make anything of it. He clearly doesn't come across as arrogant or imply that he thinks City would try and sign him (though thinking about it, he's just the type of player they need, if a little old now!).
Here's a thing - I also would never play for City or Liverpool. Do you think I'm being arrogant in presuming they want to sign me?
I think you are the epitome of arrogance ;)

Sir A1ex

I think you are the epitome of arrogance ;)
I'm also lying - I'd play for either for £200k a week!

Actually, thinking about it, I'd play for City for free... even with me trying my very hardest, they'd be pretty much guaranteed to be relegated.
This doesn't apply to Liverpool, who only have two players anyway, and could happily swap me in for, say, Lucas, and nobody would notice.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I wouldn't begrudge him at all for taking insane wages if offered. It's not like he's a top class player turning his nose up at United for another club's wealthier offer. It's when mega-talents like Robinho and Adebayor, that one would think would be far more ambitious in the pursuit of medals, take the big money offered - that stinks up the place.

City should be a retirement home for has-beens and never will-bes, not exceptional talents who should be playing for real clubs.