Everton's Disallowed Goal

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
No it's in there.. from the FA website.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

- making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

Nothing to do with line of sight or vision. He has made an obvious action, and it has impacted De Gea.
I just don't see how De Gea's ability to play the ball has been impacted here. His vision has not been compromised and the thing stopping him from reaching it is the deflection off our player and his lack of rubber-like extendo arms.

I'd be fuming if we had a goal chalked off for it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I just don't see how De Gea's ability to play the ball has been impacted here. His vision has not been compromised and the thing stopping him from reaching it is the deflection off our player and his lack of rubber-like extendo arms.

As I said before...

"It is not up to De Gea to know whether or not he is offside... what if someone has gone rogue and is playing him on at Right Back? As a footballer you should never just assume someone is offside.... thus De Gea should not be expected to know that Gylfi is going to move his feet out of the way and avoid contact with the ball. For all he knows, he could stop the ball, get up and put it in... and if he did that and De Gea had already dived to the right he'd have looked like a total tit."

"Basically, as soon as he moves his legs he is changing the outcome of the ball and its destination... that is impacting how De Gea should attempt to play the ball."

You are looking at it based on whether or not De Gea would probably have saved it - the referee however can't look at this. If De Gea had been out of his goal then fair enough, but he's not.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Still can't believe this is causing as much debate as it is. Must surely be because we are United?
I think people are just looking at De Gea and the fact that it is highly unlikely that he would have saved it... it feels like that should impact the decision, but it doesn't.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think people are just looking at De Gea and the fact that it is highly unlikely that he would have saved it... it feels like that should impact the decision, but it doesn't.
Aye you're right. It's hypothetical whether or not he would have saved it, the fact of the matter is that his chances of saving it were influenced by a player sitting on his arse in his line of sight. Of course the goal shouldn't have stood.

Lentwood

I think we were lucky to get the decision to be honest. I don't think DDGs view was obscured and I don't think it altered his ability to make a save.

It's one of those were had it been the other way, I'm sure 90% of Utd fans would argue it should have stood

GGT

why was it deemed offside, after the deflection?
Surely once the ball hits Harry, Sig is then onside?
For sure de g was not looking at Sig before the deflection

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I think we were lucky to get the decision to be honest. I don't think DDGs view was obscured and I don't think it altered his ability to make a save.

It's one of those were had it been the other way, I'm sure 90% of Utd fans would argue it should have stood
So you're saying it's on De Gea to know that Gylfi would definitely get out of the way of the ball? Surely he can't know that?

It's a deflection, so its still offside.

It's like how you can be offside from the save from a keeper, or from the ball hitting the post.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

Siggurdson is very obviously obstructing DDG's view. He even has to move his feet out of the way to let the ball past, which makes it impossible for the 'keeper to know what's going to happen next and react accordingly (ie. the second of the bullet points I posted).

It's offside by any measure.
Bingo. This is the correct answer to this entire discussion. He was in the balls path and very much a part of the play. This is a offside even if its the 90th minute of the CL 3-3 final and Phil Jones retracts his leg after a Rashford screamer from 30m out.

Rafaeldagold

Nope I look at decisions on their merit not change my opinion as it’s my team it affects.

It should be disallowed every time for every team & id fully accept why as it’s so so obvious an offside

Spaghetti

Mom's
It was obviously offside. However, I think that Sigurdsson was only there because he had been wiped out by Wan-Bissaka. It would be a free kick anywhere else on the pitch so it should be a pen, which De Gea wouldn’t have saved because he never does. He saved one from Van Persie in 2011, can’t remember one since. Off topic, sorry.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Was the Red given to the Brugge player the correct decision? I am just asking, in the spirit of the debate going on here.
Yes.

Though I’ve never been a fan of the double punishment that is a red card and a penalty.

Never going to happen, but I’d rather see;

- Yellow if the penalty is scored.
- Red if it’s missed.

The offended team can choose to do what they like. Miss on purpose to play against 10 men, or attempt to score.

That would Correct the original crime of ‘Denied a certain goal’.

It’s one of the only match situations that almost always ends the game as a contest if it happens early. The other one being a goalkeeper being sent off which isn’t quite as bad.

arthurka

He was clearly interfering with the game play. He was right in the keepers face when the shot was taken. It is pretty clear, even though I can well understand Everton's reaction. It was the correct decision.

cyberman

DDG doesnt need to have his view completley obscured for the offside player to be in his line of vision.
Even though the still Sky used has him directly in front of DDG when the shot is taken. You cant get any more in the way that that.
It seems him laying down has confused some people on here

LVGSdive

I agree. I thought it should have been given.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Such an easy decision for me.
If he wasn’t lying on the ground, De Gea could see the path of the shot trickling towards near post. Because he was there, De Gea had no clear sight of ball and by the time it past Sigurdsson it was already heading near post.

A clear definition of influencing play.

Emrethis

Was the Red given to the Brugge player the correct decision? I am just asking, in the spirit of the debate going on here.
Of course it was a red. He deliberately used his arm to block a shot that was going on target. Doesn't get any more red than that.

ReddBalls

Why are som many presumptive United fans so hellbent on this being wrongly disallowed?

Foxbatt

I would say this would be the same as a player standing or sitting in front of the keeper when a free kick is taken. If the Everton player had curled it into the far post I feel the goal would have stood. The fact Siggy was in front of DeGea and he also moved his legs out of the way makes it that he was interfering with the play. If he did not move his legs, the ball would have hit him and would not have gone into the goal either. As for DeGea not saving it, how can anyone say he may not have saved it? He has saved many in cases where everyone says he has no business saving them. I am sure that never was taken into account in this decision.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

I find that extremely hard to believe. Even in this thread many United-fans seem to be so hellbent on feeling injustice for the opposition that they blindly ignore simple rules. I'd bet that if they had the rule on their side they wouldn't even care. They would have been too busy to berate the club for losing instead. We deserved to win that game and would have done so if it weren't for the ref and Everton's extremely lucky goal.

We weren't lucky to get the correct decision, and we wouldn't be unlucky to have it given against us. Imagine Phil Jones sitting on his ass in front of De Gea, nobody in world football would even question the situation or talk about the rule they would just make memes of Jones for ruining our goal. This is what VAR is for, not applying tainted logic to standard decisions.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Whats stopping a player from goal hanging in one corner and just moving out of the way when someone shoots into that corner?

Rafaeldagold

The offside rules have been tinkered with so much it is little wonder different people interpret them differently. No need to be offensive if others don't agree with your interpretation.
It’s not being offensive. It’s just facts. Sometimes their are just plain facts

It’s offside & clearly. No debate should be necessary.

montpelier

Am I right in thinking that there were a couple of seasons when this kind of goal was being allowed and that they then tweaked the rules?

A non interfering player has to be clearly out of the way now, basically.

montpelier

The offside rules have been tinkered with so much it is little wonder different people interpret them differently. No need to be offensive if others don't agree with your interpretation.
What makes me ratty is that there seem to be people here that seem to be very close to thinking or wanting it to be, that offside is just kicking the ball when you are offside.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Am I right in thinking that there were a couple of seasons when this kind of goal was being allowed and that they then tweaked the rules?

It's a much easier decision to make with VAR. I can't see how the officials don't come to the same decision here with VAR 99% of the time. As the shot is taken, an opposing player is in an offside position and commits an offside offence by being so close to the goalkeeper by interfering with his view. The ball could have flown straight in the top-left corner for an unsaveable worldie, and it would still be offside. I think people are missing the point by suggesting he was offside because he had to move his legs for the ball to go in. That makes no difference. It's the player being so close in front of the goalkeeper and impairing his view that is the only thing that matters.

I had no nerves whatsoever that the goal was not going to be ruled out.

UnrelatedPsuedo

No. Harry didn’t play the ball.

montpelier

It's a much easier decision to make with VAR. I can't see how the officials don't come to the same decision here with VAR 99% of the time. As the shot is taken, an opposing player is in an offside position and commits an offside offence by being so close to the goalkeeper by interfering with his view. The ball could have flown straight in the top-left corner for an unsaveable worldie, and it would still be offside. I think people are missing the point by suggesting he was offside because he had to move his legs for the ball to go in. That makes no difference. It's the player being so close in front of the goalkeeper and impairing his view that is the only thing that matters.

I had no nerves whatsoever that the goal was not going to be ruled out.
That's well explained.

For me I'd lost confidence in the ref and I don't really trust VAR either.

Wal2Fra

Still can't believe this is causing as much debate as it is. Must surely be because we are United?
It's because VAR was involved.

It was an easy call but the linesman either failed to see it (failing at his job) or allowed VAR replays to make the decision for him (cowardly avoiding any controversey)

It is the sort of incident that called out for VAR when linesman or referees missed it. But now they just avoid the call and fall back on VAR.

UnrelatedPsuedo

No. You’re wrong.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't know about anyone else but I love the fact it's apparently controversial and I love the fact people are salty about it. You know why? Cause theres nothing the little cnuts can do about it. Lap it up.

UnrelatedPsuedo

From the Weekend Review - Chris Foy
As much as I hate that ‘Close Thread’ nonsense....

There’s enough common sense in this vid to close the thread.

I don’t understand people arguing. There’s not one to be had.

montpelier

For fairness, if Sigurdsson is trying to leave the general area of play I'd be more sympathetic inclined to allow the goal. Why should he benefit from just sitting there?

In common sense terms?

UnrelatedPsuedo

It's because VAR was involved.

It was an easy call but the linesman either failed to see it (failing at his job) or allowed VAR replays to make the decision for him (cowardly avoiding any controversey)

It is the sort of incident that called out for VAR when linesman or referees missed it. But now they just avoid the call and fall back on VAR.
I agree, and disagree.

I think that gets disallowed 95% of the time pre-VAR. The 5% is contingency for a badly positioned Assistant Referree.

The fact that VAR has given all Refs a safety net is part of the problem in the aftermath. “Let’s just check” is clearly their standpoint. Why make a bad decision and risk damage to your reputation when you can just kick it out to a faceless VAR team.

Referees were fallible before, but empowered. What ref in his HIGHLY QUALIFIED right mind is going to wear that decision, possibly get reprimanded, demoted, admonished, rather than send the decision elsewhere and get off scot-free?

We are not creating better referees.

montpelier

I agree, and disagree.

I think that gets disallowed 95% of the time pre-VAR. The 5% is contingency for a badly positioned Assistant Referree.

The fact that VAR has given all Refs a safety net is part of the problem in the aftermath. “Let’s just check” is clearly their standpoint. Why make a bad decision and risk damage to your reputation when you can just kick it out to a faceless VAR team.

Referees were fallible before, but empowered. What ref in his HIGHLY QUALIFIED right mind is going to wear that decision, possibly get reprimanded, demoted, admonished, rather than send the decision elsewhere and get off scot-free?

We are not creating better referees.
I think the 2 of you are very much on the same page and are pretty much bang on right, too.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I thought they were standing offside at free kicks to distract the keeper and then it got changed so they couldn't do that.
Hmmmm. I don’t know if that’s true. Would have to check. I’d back myself, but not across all leagues admittedly.