Everybody hates us/ABU etc

Spoony

The People's President
Theres some truth in that. The only real hatred directed towards United is from the fans of Liverpool and City. United were more widely hated when you were successful under SAF, partly because of that success and partly from the graceless belligerence of SAF who bullied referees into extracting advantage in decisions which often happened.

Now United are less successful and SAF long gone, other clubs fans don’t have anything like the same animus but instead enjoy the occasions when you’re beaten by ‘lesser clubs’.

Given the year on year dominance of City and the feeling they cheated to get to where they are, I’d say City are probably most hated now followed by Liverpool. The latter tends to be hated for their fans’ self imposed victimhood and sense of entitlement and because they have a tendency to become completely obnoxious whenever they win anything.

Those are my personal views. As a Gooner, I really only hate Spurs and with a vengeance. No other club comes near to that.
No one believes you. Non United fans are still suffering from trauma thanks to the Fergie years. I've heard journos admit it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Great post. I think the reason for apathy towards City is twofold:

1) they don't really have any natural rivalries, and they buffer true rivals from winning things (Spurs fans would rather see City win vs Arsenal or Chelsea, and vice versa, same with us and Liverpool)

2) we know they buy the media with favours, access, etc. They are a PR machine.

Also, i think everyone knows their "achievements" come with a giant asterisk.
Yeah this is a good point. They'll say they don't care but I wonder how they feel being the club everyone would rather win something than the team they actually feel passionately against.

tomaldinho1

What's mad to me is that whilst understandable to hate us because we dominated, at least we did it fairly. The buying the refs stuff is conspiracy pish oppo fans say to make themselves feel better and everyone knows it. We definitely put pressure on officials during games but so did most clubs. We won things on merit, with a blend of youth, smart purchases and also some lavish ones with money we earned.

Yet then you've got City, who have one hundred and fifteen financial charges and have clearly cheated and astroturfed their way to the top and the amount of hate they get pales in comparison to us even when we're shite.
I guess it was the longevity. I think people also just care less these days, the younger generation seem to follow players now just as much as clubs. Lots of kids now support multiple teams as well which is a bit odd.

Posh Red

Theres some truth in that. The only real hatred directed towards United is from the fans of Liverpool and City. United were more widely hated when you were successful under SAF, partly because of that success and partly from the graceless belligerence of SAF who bullied referees into extracting advantage in decisions which often happened.

Now United are less successful and SAF long gone, other clubs fans don’t have anything like the same animus but instead enjoy the occasions when you’re beaten by ‘lesser clubs’.

Given the year on year dominance of City and the feeling they cheated to get to where they are, I’d say City are probably most hated now followed by Liverpool. The latter tends to be hated for their fans’ self imposed victimhood and sense of entitlement and because they have a tendency to become completely obnoxious whenever they win anything.

Those are my personal views. As a Gooner, I really only hate Spurs and with a vengeance. No other club comes near to that.
Absolutely no chance City are disliked more than United.

CallyRed

Great supporting a club that's hated. Means more when there is a success.
Imagine supporting Fulham. No one cares.

Ryan_

Sky Sports currently running a story with the headline "The 110 PL players fouled more than Fernandes". Not even trying to hide any bias at this stage.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
No one believes you. Non United fans are still suffering from trauma thanks to the Fergie years. I've heard journos admit it.
The ABU goes way before the Fergie years, it was a thing when I was a kid at school in the 70's and we were pretty shite most of that decade

Tecumseh

Supports
Arsenal
I‘m stating an opinion, whether you believe me or not is irrelevant. I doubt you speak for everyone. The idea non United fans are still suffering from Fergie induced trauma is just plain silly, ludicrous nonsense.

Glorio

Sky Sports currently running a story with the headline "The 110 PL players fouled more than Fernandes". Not even trying to hide any bias at this stage.
I came here to post that. How petty and small time could they be? They've sunk to some depths recently, including making it seem like EtH saw the Fulham video and reacted to it, however, this is particularly silly

Interestingly, they don't offer their views around whether the chap who grabbed Bruno's throat should have received a red.

glaspalast

Supports
Crystal Palace
Another thing is "maximisation of misery" . I want fans of other clubs to suffer as much as me, or better, suffer more,

If you lot get your shit together and win the League again, you'll all be as happy as dogs with 2 dicks.

But when qatar win the league again, they will be merely mildly pleased

Therefore, I -sort of -back citeh to win, out of sheer misanthropy.

Spoony

The People's President
I‘m stating an opinion, whether you believe me or not is irrelevant. I doubt you speak for everyone. The idea non United fans are still suffering from Fergie induced trauma is just plain silly, ludicrous nonsense.
Your opinion is full of shit.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Another thing is "maximisation of misery" . I want fans of other clubs to suffer as much as me, or better, suffer more,

If you lot get your shit together and win the League again, you'll all be as happy as dogs with 2 dicks.

But when qatar win the league again, they will be merely mildly pleased

Therefore, I -sort of -back citeh to win, out of sheer misanthropy.
Can’t argue with that :lol:

The Irish Connection

Listening to Today FM in Ireland, Matt cooper is so ABU it's annoying.
Mark Lawrenson with him too, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Hope we get back to winning things soon to shut these langers up.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
What does ABU stand for again? Didn't he work in the Kwik E Mart

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool

Agree with this, though I think you guys and United run us bloody close in the old 'sense of entitlement' thing

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Maybe because of our success under Busby?
I don't think so, I may be wrong but I think it has something to do with the hooligans in the 70's, that's really when the tribalistic nature of football really started, Busby finished in 1971 and united were in a downward spiral by then, the only successes were a Div 2 title and a couple of FAC wins, the 80's aren't a whole lot better either.

Tecumseh

Supports
Arsenal
The ABU goes way before the Fergie years, it was a thing when I was a kid at school in the 70's and we were pretty shite most of that decade
I‘m finding these comments bizarre, it’s as though you need to preserve the notion that United is hated more than any other club. It might have been under Fergie but that’s certainly not the case now. Even when you and us were fierce rivals in the Fergie/Wenger years, I still hated Spurs much more than United.

Tecumseh

Supports
Arsenal
Agree with this, though I think you guys and United run us bloody close in the old 'sense of entitlement' thing
It’s difficult to have a sense of entitlement when we haven’t won the league in 20 years

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I think the hatred of rival fans has abated, but it's a simple fact that United are treated differently by the media, and that drives the narrative. There are almost unlimited examples of United players/coaches/issues being reported on and with an intensity that simply doesn't happen for other English clubs. That isn't my opinion, it's very easy to show the number of stories, clicks and so forth.

Similarly, I became a bit obsessed for a while on the Guardians reporting on United, particularly under Jamie Jackson. His articles are almost univerally negative on United, even when we were quite good. Similarly, ESPN's reporting particularly under Mark Ogden are an absolute sh*tshow of how bad can we paint united this week. Even when United win, the articles are about negative pieces of the performance, or Fernandes as a bad captain, or Rashford. While at the same time, there are about 4 pieces up there right now praising Klopp's nursery.

United are treated differently. I'm not sure why. But we are.

georgegroves

I thought its a pretty well known fact united are the most hated club in england. Ask any football fan. You should take a look on twitter from
The FA Cup final last season when united got a penalty, the whole country was having a meltdown. Doesnt really prove your point that city are more hated now.

Bertie Wooster

I think the hatred of rival fans has abated, but it's a simple fact that United are treated differently by the media, and that drives the narrative. There are almost unlimited examples of United players/coaches/issues being reported on and with an intensity that simply doesn't happen for other English clubs. That isn't my opinion, it's very easy to show the number of stories, clicks and so forth.

Similarly, I became a bit obsessed for a while on the Guardians reporting on United, particularly under Jamie Jackson. His articles are almost univerally negative on United, even when we were quite good. Similarly, ESPN's reporting particularly under Mark Ogden are an absolute sh*tshow of how bad can we paint united this week. Even when United win, the articles are about negative pieces of the performance, or Fernandes as a bad captain, or Rashford. While at the same time, there are about 4 pieces up there right now praising Klopp's nursery.

United are treated differently. I'm not sure why. But we are.
This is it.

And the problem, post Fergie, is that we don't have enough about us as a club or playing group to cope during spells when that false media narrative begins to effect referees decisions against us.

When we were in a dominant era under Fergie, we could stand up for ourselves more, and had the unrelenting mental strength and winning mentality to win regardless of it. We were the biggest and the best, and could cope with the bitterness and hatred that that brought.

Nowadays, we don't. We might still be the biggest, but we're far from the best. But the hatred and bitterness of our dominant era remains. And when the false media narrative influences referee's against us nowadays, it makes a bigger difference.

On our side, it's for us to get good again so that it's not such a significant factor. But it's also ridiculous that it is even allowed to be a factor and that the media are so blatantly allowed to try to influence referee's against us in the way that they do.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Says a lot about United fans nowadays that we even care what anyone else thinks about us?

Bertie Wooster

Says a lot about United fans nowadays that we even care what anyone else thinks about us?
If it has a deliberate / subconscious influence on the ways the officials or FA deal with us compared to others, then why wouldn't fans care about a false narrative with an agenda (that seems to be working!)?

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
If it has a deliberate / subconscious influence on the ways the officials or FA deal with us compared to others, then why wouldn't fans care about a false narrative with an agenda (that seems to be working!)?
Is it though? This is shite that RAWK and Bluemoon come up with.

Bertie Wooster

Is it though? This is shite that RAWK and Bluemoon come up with.
I wouldn't know about that as I've never been on there to read them. But I do see that comment on here a lot every time anyone complains about any decision that goes against us so I get the point.

I think anyone would have a tough time trying to argue that there isn't a strong anti-United attitude in the media, far more so than any other club. And I'm confident that a part of their regularly highlighting decisions that go in favour of us, and ignoring those that go against us, is an attempt to influence future officials decisions.

Whether that narrative works, consciously or subconsciously, on the officials is the part I'm happiest to say I'm less sure about. But I'm inclined to think it's only natural that at times it'll make giving a controversial decision in our favour become a bigger thing knowing there'll be a bigger fall out to it

wolvored

There was an article about 7/8 years ago on the BBC saying their reporter McNulty always did a piece on Utd, even if there were other big stories and he responded by saying (paraphrasing) a nothing story on Utd would almost always get a bigger interest than any other clubs story, due to the shear number of fans country and worldwide. To the 'bean counters' as well as the reporter, this made more sense to report due to this.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I‘m finding these comments bizarre, it’s as though you need to preserve the notion that United is hated more than any other club. It might have been under Fergie but that’s certainly not the case now. Even when you and us were fierce rivals in the Fergie/Wenger years, I still hated Spurs much more than United.
You are an Arsenal fan, of course you hate Spurs more, that's logical, whether United is hated as much as they were I don't know, but the notion we were hated so much because of our success in Fergie's time is wrong, it predates his time at the club

ColvaleGoa

Everyone is rubbing their hands in glee at the prospect of massive hammering we are going to get tomorrow. It's ridiculous how bad some of the takes are.

Thank you Glazer's.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It’s absolutely true, you obviously being one of them!