Everybody hates us/ABU etc

Rolaholic

I'll stop believing there's an agenda if Arsenal and Brentford also get charged for their late match scrap just now...

I don't expect them too though, even though Ben White had his arm around someones neck. No red

OrcaFat

If you think that means an FA executive who grew up a Liverpool fan will quite simply act like a Liverpool fan in a professional capacity, you can't know a lot of professionals. They'd be the sort of people who take care to be extra scrupulous to stick to objective standards in such cases, because they know that if any of their colleagues got the impression they are influenced by personal club affiliation, their credibility would be dead, and so would their career prospects. Which unsurprisingly matters a LOT more to them than whether something good happens to Liverpool or something bad happens to Man Utd. FA executives might be fans, but they'd be right stupid to act like ones on the job.
Oh dear. Professionals are not some squeaky clean, infallible breed. I know that because I am one and don’t claim to be either. I also know a great many professionals and probably more than half of them are crooked to some extent. They don’t seem to worry much about what their colleagues think and tend to respond to any sort of criticism with denial and counter blame.

GueRed

It peaked in the 90's
I'll never forget during England games in 1997 & 1998 where United players were scapegoated by England fans and the 'Stand Up if You Hate Man Utd' chants were regularly sung at Wembley.
Put me off supporting England for a while after that.

These days judging on social media the biggest abu clowns are within our own fanbase.

Rooney, Young, Fellaini, Maguire, Rashford and just recently Garnacho on the receiving end of most of the dispicable abuse and disrespect.

Who needs abu's when you got fans like ours.

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
"Incompetence is at the root of the decision, not some deep seeded institutionalised hatred of United like someone would have you believe."
Sorry that isn’t “incompetence” at all there is numerous videos and pictures all over the internet of Fred having his throat grabbed. There is no reasonable way anyone could watch the footage and decide United was violent and palace wasn’t.

You could 100 people in a room to watch the video and 100 would say both where being violent

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Sorry that isn’t “incompetence” at all there is numerous videos and pictures all over the internet of Fred having his throat grabbed. There is no reasonable way anyone could watch the footage and decide United was violent and palace wasn’t.

You could 100 people in a room to watch the video and 100 would say both where being violent
That's literally incompetence....

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
That's literally incompetence....
No it’s a choice they made, there is no way they made a mistake after watching that footage. A toddler could tell you that Fred’s throat being grabbed was also violent.

There is no way this was an inability it was a choice.

Zen86

ABU is definitely a thing. There's a long list of teams who seem to think they're our rivals and many of the scouse gloryhunters from their golden period are in media positions these days, and obviously look to undermine us at every opportunity. There's also City who've bought up their fair share of journalists.

LordSpud

Luke Ayling swinging at Malacia yesterday with nothing said. Shambles.

predator

Youth NITK
Having the biggest fanbase, biggest stadium, most PL titles, best players that have played in England is why and if I was born in Leeds and supported leeds for example, I would also despise United. SAF as a man is bigger than most clubs in the PL.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Any fan of Manchester United who doesn’t feel that there is clear and obvious bias against the club by the FA and Referees must have Stockholm Syndrome.
I honestly think it was due to the minute of the game. It was the 100th minute, the full time whistle was due to blow in 30 seconds, so they reckon it's not worth the drama of giving a player a 3 game domestic ban. Maybe I'm giving the officials in the VAR room the 'benefit of the doubt', and I use that term loosely because obviously they should judge every incident the same regardless of what minute it occurred, however that seems more logical to me than being intentionally biased against United.

Absolutely no excuses for this though when they have all those replays at their disposal. I would've been fuming if they went up the other end and scored immediately afterwards.

Bertie Wooster

I honestly think it was due to the minute of the game. It was the 100th minute, the full time whistle was due to blow in 30 seconds, so they reckon it's not worth the drama of giving a player a 3 game domestic ban. Maybe I'm giving the officials in the VAR room the 'benefit of the doubt', and I use that term loosely because obviously they should judge every incident the same regardless of what minute it occurred, however that seems more logical to me than being intentionally biased against United.

Absolutely no excuses for this though when they have all those replays at their disposal. I would've been fuming if they went up the other end and scored immediately afterwards.
As you say, the trouble with that attitude, if that was the case, is there was still a chance Forest could equalise and take the game to ET. They won the ball back and had one last attempt at putting the ball into our box after the incident - just look what happened v Fulham on Saturday, and in our mad finish v Wolves.

So VAR's decision not to intervene on a blatant red card could have ended up effecting the result. To say nothing of the next few opponents of Forest who the player will now get to face.

So they really shouldn't opt not to bother doing their job just because it's late on in the game. There could have been repercussions in the remaining time, and as it is it still allows them to pick him in upcoming games that he should have been banned for.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

As you say, the trouble with that attitude, if that was the case, is there was still a chance Forest could equalise and take the game to ET. They won the ball back and had one last attempt at putting the ball into our box after the incident - just look what happened v Fulham on Saturday, and in our mad finish v Wolves.

So VAR's decision not to intervene on a blatant red card could have ended up effecting the result. To say nothing of the next few opponents of Forest who the player will now get to face.

So they really shouldn't opt not to bother doing their job just because it's late on in the game. There could have been repercussions in the remaining time, and as it is it still allows them to pick him in upcoming games that he should have been banned for.
I 100% agree. It's one of the many flaws of VAR. It will always be open to human error (some will go further and say 'unconscious bias') which means mistakes are still happening every game, and it is essentially the same level of PL refereeing as we saw pre-VAR. Meanwhile what do we, as fans, get in return?? Not being able to celebrate pretty much any goal that goes in, for fear of it potentially being ruled out. Mint.

GazTheLegend

I'd ask anyone in the thread, if someone did this to you how would you react? The FA don't want players to respond to provocation and will get reds for reactions, but if they are allowing people to literally grab Bruno's throat and doing nothing about it what chance have we got.

ForeverRed1

But city are amazing, best team ever.

let’s face it, it’s because they are stopping us.

doesn’t matter how they got there, How unauthentic they are, it’s the noisy neighbours putting a stop to our dominance because let’s face it we would of won more titles if they weren’t a thing.

There doing exactly what we did (winning most trophies and smashing teams) but it seems to be ok?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
It peaked in the 90's
I'll never forget during England games in 1997 & 1998 where United players were scapegoated by England fans and the 'Stand Up if You Hate Man Utd' chants were regularly sung at Wembley.

These days judging on social media the biggest abu clowns are within our own fanbase.

Rooney, Young, Fellaini, Maguire, Rashford and just recently Garnacho on the receiving end of most of the dispicable abuse and disrespect.

This

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
But city are amazing, best team ever.

let’s face it, it’s because they are stopping us.

doesn’t matter how they got there, How unauthentic they are, it’s the noisy neighbours putting a stop to our dominance because let’s face it we would of won more titles if they weren’t a thing.

There doing exactly what we did (winning most trophies and smashing teams) but it seems to be ok?
Personally I hate Liverpool and Arsen during success and when success is not there. I quite like City in comparison :lol:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It peaked in the 90's

Yep, out fans are by and large a bunch of wankers

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What's mad to me is that whilst understandable to hate us because we dominated, at least we did it fairly. The buying the refs stuff is conspiracy pish oppo fans say to make themselves feel better and everyone knows it. We definitely put pressure on officials during games but so did most clubs. We won things on merit, with a blend of youth, smart purchases and also some lavish ones with money we earned.

Yet then you've got City, who have one hundred and fifteen financial charges and have clearly cheated and astroturfed their way to the top and the amount of hate they get pales in comparison to us even when we're shite.

tomaldinho1

I think the issue we have now is United doing poorly/having controversial moments against them probably makes people a huge amount of money. Just like that journos slip in the interview with ETH a few months ago, people are invested in us doing poorly.

On social media it’s hard to know who are fans, there are definitely people out there who prey on the fan base and it’s frustrations and this kind of narrative (there’s a conspiracy) then just feeds into that.

Then you add in stuff like refs getting paid by the UAE and the same refs giving ridiculous penalties against us when we play the team whose owners pay them (which by the way, where are all the other penalties like that given it set a precedent?).

Is there a conspiracy, probably not, but I’d bet refs are making money somewhere on the side through creating drama and we, being a big fan base, are a big part of that.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I think it was John Cross who i heard say that they need united to either be super successful or terrible for them to sell papers. If we're somewhere in the middle, its just not the same. This is why every win and every loss are exaggerated.

On the other hand, after all our success, if i was a rival fan, i would also be having a field day with our current state.

Gordon Godot

I think it was John Cross who i heard say that they need united to either be super successful or terrible for them to sell papers. If we're somewhere in the middle, its just not the same. This is why every win and every loss are exaggerated.

On the other hand, after all our success, if i was a rival fan, i would also be having a field day with our current state.
yep, I find the constant ABU whining about pathetic. We are a big club and a big target. The Glazers have managed the club appallingly, made some terrible managerial appointments and wasted billion plus on transfers. of course thats new. Fans need to get over it.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

30 seconds before the whistle blows, they've already got their headphones off and are discussing where to go for dinner, not even looking at the monitors.

OldSchoolManc

Dalot and Michael Oliver in time added on in the Liverpool game would like to say hello

LDUred

ABUs love a good old witch hunt - now it's Bruno's turn.

You'd think this would galvanize the players a bit more than it does.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Tell that to Dalot. Doesn't matter if it's in field decision/VAR. If there's no bias, same set of punishment should be ensued.

NICanRed

It may be a consolation to many of you that we may soon be in the position of being under-dogs. Then maybe the commentators, pundits, neutrals and refs will lean towards us.
Is this what you really want?

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
It's a compliment, Utd are huge, and were very successful, now that they are going through tough times, opposition fans are going to enjoy it while they can. As others have said also, because of how big they are, stories are always going to generate money and again is why so much is written and generally covered on them.

Threads like this certainly don't help though, can argue just a fun thread but it smacks of ignorance and a real poor understanding of football life outside the Utd bubble,
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/who...ngland-to-support.481677/page-2#post-31687012

NB: the Abú in my name is not ABU

sugar_kane

It may be a consolation to many of you that we may soon be in the position of being under-dogs. Then maybe the commentators, pundits, neutrals and refs will lean towards us.
Is this what you really want?
Not going to happen until a good 30/40 years after we last won the league, if ever. We've scarred entire generations with our success, and that hatred has been passed down from parents to children who didn't even witness it first hand.

Tecumseh

Supports
Arsenal
Every set of fans think everyone hates them.
Theres some truth in that. The only real hatred directed towards United is from the fans of Liverpool and City. United were more widely hated when you were successful under SAF, partly because of that success and partly from the graceless belligerence of SAF who bullied referees into extracting advantage in decisions which often happened.

Now United are less successful and SAF long gone, other clubs fans don’t have anything like the same animus but instead enjoy the occasions when you’re beaten by ‘lesser clubs’.

Given the year on year dominance of City and the feeling they cheated to get to where they are, I’d say City are probably most hated now followed by Liverpool. The latter tends to be hated for their fans’ self imposed victimhood and sense of entitlement and because they have a tendency to become completely obnoxious whenever they win anything.

Those are my personal views. As a Gooner, I really only hate Spurs and with a vengeance. No other club comes near to that.

Fridge chutney

What's mad to me is that whilst understandable to hate us because we dominated, at least we did it fairly. The buying the refs stuff is conspiracy pish oppo fans say to make themselves feel better and everyone knows it. We definitely put pressure on officials during games but so did most clubs. We won things on merit, with a blend of youth, smart purchases and also some lavish ones with money we earned.

Yet then you've got City, who have one hundred and fifteen financial charges and have clearly cheated and astroturfed their way to the top and the amount of hate they get pales in comparison to us even when we're shite.
Great post. I think the reason for apathy towards City is twofold:

1) they don't really have any natural rivalries, and they buffer true rivals from winning things (Spurs fans would rather see City win vs Arsenal or Chelsea, and vice versa, same with us and Liverpool)

2) we know they buy the media with favours, access, etc. They are a PR machine.

Also, i think everyone knows their "achievements" come with a giant asterisk.