Who are the most pointless team in England to support?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Playing Football Manager the other day and I was trying to think of a team to start a new save with and it got me thinking who in English football are the most pointless team to support?

Personally, I'm ruling out all Premier League teams because I feel being in the Premier League alone makes it exciting enough even if you're a mid-table side. I've also ruled out League One, League Two and National League teams because they've got the Bristol Street Motor Trophy/FA Trophy, which basically anyone can potentially win, or at least make the final and a trip to Wembley..

That leaves just the Championship teams. So we're looking for a side, who every year make a few loan signings from Premier League clubs and their fans start to think they may have a chance but they get picked off in the early rounds of the cup competitions and don't quite ever make a push for the playoffs but are usually safe from the relegation battle.

Therefore, in my opinion, the winners of the most pointless team to support in England at this moment in time:

Pointless PP? Preposterous position.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Rename thread to championship teams... Why all the restrictions...

It's a stupid question because there are lots of different kinds of supporters and no one has to justify why they support a particular team.

Can be glory hunters, or because it's the local team, or because your parents support them plus a multitude of other reasons...

noodlehair

"It's like..."
MK Dons - Not a real team. Not really a real place. Its a cross between Wimbledon, which isn't where the team is, and Milton Keynes, which has just stolen Wimbledon's team, and also in itself isn't really a real place. More just a collection of roads and a ski slope. Can't really have any real support because technically it isn't Milton Keynes local team, and its not like anyone not local is going to support them due to their success or history. The only people who would potentially actually support them are people from Wimbledon/former Wimbledon fans, but they just created their own new team instead...which is now above MK Dons in the league system and has a higher average attendance, even though surely the whole point of moving the team to Milton Keynes was to boost attendances and not have to drop down the league system by starting over. So they literally might as well not exist

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Rename thread to championship teams... Why all the restrictions...

It's a stupid question because there are lots of different kinds of supporters and no one has to justify why they support a particular team.

Can be glory hunters, or because it's the local team, or because your parents support them plus a multitude of other reasons...
Notice the words "in my opinion" and "personally"? Yeah. You're free to choose who you want, or nobody at all.

In fact, you seem to have just got annoyed about a heap of things I didn't say. Everything ok?

Last edited:

OleGunnar20

Birmingham City have to be in with a shout. Never relegated or promoted. Just seem static.
Rubbish club, horrible bigoted fan base (in my experience)
My old man was a Blues fan and a lovely man. We had a few season tickets there when I was young though and yeah, bit of a grim club overall.

He had grown up in Uni watching the likes of Trevor Francis. By the time i came around you were lucky to watch the likes of a 35 year old Mario Melchiot throwing in a crunching tackle.

When I think back I'm sure every game was a 1-1 draw with Middelsborough in the pissing down rain. Or at least it felt that way. Still, it was nice making fun of Zigic, Horsefield, Walter 'The Rifle' Pandiani et al. Such a bag of shite.

I'll always have a soft spot for their eternal shambles of a club. But they did win that league Cup not so long ago AND played in Europe for maybe a game or two I think? So surely can't challenge the likes of MK Dons here.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It's harsh as I have a really soft spot for them given their history in the game but Preston North End in terms of what they haven't achieved (sorry didn't see the spoiler!)

They haven't had a single season in the top flight since the mid 1960s. :houllier:

Also have no real tradition of any cup runs. I think playing Man. United in 5th round of FA cup in 2017 is the best they've done in decades. You had Sheffield United in the SFs just last year and Coventry and Boro are two examples of championship sides having really good runs this year.

All of Blackburn, Burnley, Wigan, Bolton spent endless years in the prem in 90s/2000s and made cup finals and even Blackpool had their own season so baffling PNE can never have one season where it all works out for them.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I went to uni there and worked the turnstiles at Ricoh for two seasons. I have a soft spot for them. Nice club, locals aren't the most enthusiastic bunch about their club though, you could walk around Coventry and meet people and ask who they support and it would be 50/50 whether they said Coventry or some other club like Villa or United and the Cov fans you do meet, half of them aren't that passionate about their club. Pretty bleak now that I think about it.
Plenty was to do with SISU and also having to play away from the Ricoh for a couple of years. They've been on their way back for a few years and have an exciting young team and decent investment so think they'll be back in the premier league sooner or later, had 27k at the Ricoh for the Maidstone game.

OldSchoolManc

Nobody mentioned QPR?
Their most famous moment was when their players conspired to help Man City win a title

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Bit small minded to suggest any team is pointless. These are in most cases institutions of 100+ years who have positive effects on families, dads, sons etc. for generations.

So to answer the question, MK Dons.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Birmingham City have to be in with a shout. Never relegated or promoted. Just seem static.
Yeah currently Birmingham are a good shout... they're the team in all of the EFL (bar the Prem) that's gone without a promotion or relegation... they've just been in the Champo for over a decade, never getting anywhere near promotion and usually flirting with relegation (without actually getting relegated).

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Middlesbrough, nothing club in a nothing town.

Gator Nate

Everton. They'll never get relegated, they're not gonna finish in a high position. Fans are always angry. Always lose to Liverpool. Complete waste of time.
Hmm... on that first criteria, I'd say Crystal Palace. And I don't even think their fans are angry about it.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
NONE, I'm an old fart, you were born being a fan from a team and you'll die being one, no matter succees or anything.

dazjoe

West Brom. Their history is just the same 10 year cycle repeated into infinity.

Be in the Championship (or the 2nd division, whatever you want to call it). Be quite good, spend 5 years sitting around the play offs until finally getting promoted, then spend a few years in the top flight being utterly inconsequential, having no quality players, just being there, doing just enough to stay up for a bit then finally going down, and repeat.

What an existence.

thisisnottaken1

NONE, I'm an old fart, you were born being a fan from a team and you'll die being one, no matter succees or anything.
I didn’t start following football until I was 11.
It used to be Oldham, spent like 25 years in league 1 without threatening promotion or relegation
It’s actually really sad that they fell into non-league football.

glaspalast

Supports
Crystal Palace
Even the rubbishest clubs have a point

MK Dons -at least serve as a warning and stop other clubs 'franchising' away

Millwall siphon off scumbags who otherwise could infect other clubs .

So, Man Utd. Pointful to the good people of Salford but the glory hunting rest of yous should give up and support your local team.

Hakara

Supports
Bayern München
MK Dons. Rubbish plan, no history and a stupid name.
Milton Keynes is a bizarre shithole who couldn’t have their own team so they stole someone else’s. Nobody gives a flying feck about MK, they are the RB Leipzig of English football.

I know you said not PL, but (dis)honorary mention for Crystal Palace, a team who always managed to be far less than the sum of their parts.
Grandmother of a guy I grew up with supported them because they had a "pretty name".

JediSith

MK Dons. Rubbish plan, no history and a stupid name.
Milton Keynes is a bizarre shithole who couldn’t have their own team so they stole someone else’s. Nobody gives a flying feck about MK, they are the RB Leipzig of English football.

I know you said not PL, but (dis)honorary mention for Crystal Palace, a team who always managed to be far less than the sum of their parts.
Honourable mentions goes to Palace. Winner over the last decade goes to Man Utd

Pughnichi

Playing Football Manager the other day and I was trying to think of a team to start a new save with and it got me thinking who in English football are the most pointless team to support?

Personally, I'm ruling out all Premier League teams because I feel being in the Premier League alone makes it exciting enough even if you're a mid-table side. I've also ruled out League One, League Two and National League teams because they've got the Bristol Street Motor Trophy/FA Trophy, which basically anyone can potentially win, or at least make the final and a trip to Wembley..

That leaves just the Championship teams. So we're looking for a side, who every year make a few loan signings from Premier League clubs and their fans start to think they may have a chance but they get picked off in the early rounds of the cup competitions and don't quite ever make a push for the playoffs but are usually safe from the relegation battle.

Therefore, in my opinion, the winners of the most pointless team to support in England at this moment in time:

I was gonna suggest Preston before seeing your link hahaaa

they’ve been in that league for a while now and only occasionally pushed for playoffs but always seemingly fall to mid table towards the back end of the season. This season they do look a bit stronger…hopefully for them they can make it to the playoffs this time around

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
If I was still in uni I'd definitely put off doing an essay to try and work out which club had spent the most time in the middle of their respective division without getting a sniff of silverware.

GL21

Palace, Blackburn, Wigan, Sunderland, Gillingham.
forever worse than pointless. the way they behaved in 2012 when we played them in the last game up there, I'll never forget. celebrating like they were anything when the got news of Agueros winner. useless

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I was gonna suggest Preston before seeing your link hahaaa

they’ve been in that league for a while now and only occasionally pushed for playoffs but always seemingly fall to mid table towards the back end of the season. This season they do look a bit stronger…hopefully for them they can make it to the playoffs this time around
They were relegated in 2011 and won the League One play-offs in 2015, so that's something, I guess?

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Some good replies in this thread.

Calling a club ”pointless” screams ignoring ones privilege to me.
I did hope more people would reply with their own views on what a football club should represent, if they actually have any, but as with here it was mostly just an excuse for people to dunk on drab English towns, and Tottenham.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
It'd have to be a club in an area with a lot of other options, who themselves have no real prospects of winning anything and no particularly fierce rivals.

Possibly somebody like Leyton Orient or Crewe.