Who are the most pointless team in England to support?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I did hope more people would reply with their own views on what a football club should represent, if they actually have any, but as with here it was mostly just an excuse for people to dunk on drab English towns, and Tottenham.
To answer the question you posed:

There aren't really any pointless clubs as they'll all mean something to someone, but I suppose the most pointless a club can get is competing at a national level, while doing basically nothing (of note) except representing a slightly more local area than another club from the same town/city. At least in the regional leagues the more local aspect makes a bit of sense.

As a (perhaps poor) example, what exactly is the point of Bristol having both Rovers and City? Neither have won anything of any note, their stadiums are about fifteen minutes away from each other, and they barely even get a derby these days because they haven't been in the same division for over two decades (in fact, the last derby was a decade ago).

However, I can concede there that the logic could quite quickly descend into just having teams representing increasingly large areas to maximise their chance of winning something (if only by having less competition).

Outside of that, MK Dons, because why the feck would anyone support them?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
MK Dons are a soulless club.

If they'd have just started at the lower levels of the game and worked their way up, I'm sure they'd have so much more support (even if they wouldn't be filling out their 30k stadium).

I think a town that size getting their own club to the football league would have drawn a lot of interest. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of football fans from the area who might otherwise have ended up supporting them, or at least having them as a local/second team are just ashamed to have them associated with the town. The whole episode is a stain on the game.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
If they'd have just started at the lower levels of the game and worked their way up, I'm sure they'd have so much more support (even if they wouldn't be filling out their 30k stadium).

I think a town that size getting their own club to the football league would have drawn a lot of interest. The whole episode is a stain on the game.
It was a mental decision. Slightly less mental than the proposals to relocate them to Dublin or Belfast, but mental nonetheless.

There as obviously room for a club in Milton Keynes, but without it forming organically to represent the area, it was always going to be a husk.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It'd have to be any club in the lower divisions who sing the song about there being tits, fanny and their team in the town/city/hamlet they dwell.

What they don't know if that tits and fanny exist everywhere, the fools.

Ole'sgunnarwin

If I was still in uni I'd definitely put off doing an essay to try and work out which club had spent the most time in the middle of their respective division without getting a sniff of silverware.
If you were going back 50 years, I'd say it would have to be Coventry. They've only had 2 relegations I believe and last year was the only top 6 finish they had in that time period

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
If you were going back 50 years, I'd say it would have to be Coventry. They've only had 2 relegations I believe and last year was the only top 6 finish they had in that time period
They've had three relegations since the turn of the millennium, and subsequently, last year was their third top six finish in the same time period.

They got relegated from the Premier League in 2001, spent the next decade bouncing around the bottom half of the Championship, then were relegated to League One in 2012. They then spent the next five years largely in the bottom half of League One, before being relegated to League Two in 2017, but were immediately promoted back after finishing 6th and winning the playoffs in 2018. They then won League One in 2020, and obviously finished 5th in the Championship last season. They even won the Papa John's Trophy (or whatever it was called back then) in 2017.

Their most "pointless" period came in the 30 odd years between their promotion to the top flight and their relegation in 2001. They won the FA Cup in the 80s, but that was basically it. They just existed as a top flight side for three decades.

Before that promotion, they'd bounced between the second, third and fourth tiers.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
The "pointless" club Wimbledon are going to be top of the sports news after what just happened at Plough Lane. Last minute winner for us, then there was a load of handbags between the players and coaching staff and now the mk fans are trying to destroy the stadium.

thisisnottaken1

I think a town that size getting their own club to the football league would have drawn a lot of interest. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of football fans from the area who might otherwise have ended up supporting them, or at least having them as a local/second team are just ashamed to have them associated with the town. The whole episode is a stain on the game.
They’re the Man City of the lower leagues.