Ex-players you have a stronger respect/affection for

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
That's where you're getting confused, it's not about liking them as players more or less, it's liking them more as people after they left.
This guy has it right. This thread is supposed to be the direct opposite of the other thread. How can that be so hard to understand? To be fair, @Needham should probably have included a link to that thread in the OP for clarity's sake.

It's my wrong bad didn't explanate it it well. Trump told me I meant players you have grown to like more since they retired the oil goes to ISIS in North Korean botty packs. Keown on 606 said Hamsik has the second largest round face in a tragic Liverpool crowd gif although but however so released it to Hansen's family of mercenary terrible defending putinbots. If England use Barkley we'll be tracked on the ridges of China's Afghani mineral extraction geez put a fecking extra man in the wall they pled. In short, Lyon has claart. Bale's freekicks felt up Hart's 80's flicks without a plan B. So what does Hodgson do? He owls saintandgreavsie for his million pound bonus when he kept Fulham up I want that left outside my garage you don't? @Percy17 @Percy17 @Percy17 launch bottles, tables, and chairs at terrified England fans on a Lille backstreet cracking video footage I will get you a pint I promise just lend me one more Euro. Euro? Euro.
:lol: @Percy17 you hardly deserve a serious response at this point.

John Keiler

Yes Terry Paine, ex Southampton, is still alive and well working with Gary Bailey showing Premier League matches in Nigeria, from South Africa.
Bailey still comes across as a red at heart. ''It's Smith, and Bailey has saved' will always cement him in our history.

I will always remember the impromptu chant that went around in the replay after remarks he had made in the run up to the replay - 'Stevie Foster, Stevie Foster. what a difference you have made' - when it was 4-0.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I love all of our ex-players that have been staying at United for considerable time/games. Even the like of Anderson, Heinze, Cleverley and Richardson. Always hoping they do well, except against us.

I disliked Anderson on his later years, but he's given some fond memories when in red shirt. Remembering the good times is also better for your mind.

Last edited:

Scholsey2004

Cantona's kronenburg ads are pretty funny. You wouldnt describe him as being a successful actor but he tends to be quite funny when you see him in stuff.

spwd

Cantona's kronenburg ads are pretty funny. You wouldnt describe him as being a successful actor but he tends to be quite funny when you see him in stuff.
Yup, I love those ads :).

On the thread subject I used to hate David May but after seeing him on mutv he's grown on me and seems like a good laugh.

Art Vandelay

I used to hate Paul Ince, but he annoys me a lot less when he's doing punditry. Mostly because he looks really nervous a lot of the time and I almost feel sorry for him.

Bit of an odd shout as I never had anything against him as a player, but Dion Dublin is a surprisingly decent presenter on Homes Under the Hammer.

SirScholes

Jermaine Jenas, speaks a lot of sense maybe the only one on motd and Seedorf, liked him as a player but he seems a class act along with Canavarro

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Have you seen him playing the baddie in Salvation (2014) ??

Last edited:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Ian Wright - Admire his versatility in eking out a good living in TV/radio since retiring.
Alan Brazil - Always listen to his show on Talksport in the morning.
Paul Scholes - He actually speaks!! He gets slated a lot but he always talks sense.
Gary Neville - Always seems to get the best gigs. Destined for big things I think.
Gianfranco Zola - Always seemed like a really nice guy!

ghagua

Paul Ince - Non stop driving force in midfield when United won the first premier league title.

Roy Keane - Nothing much to say that has not been said already.

Lee Sharpe - Came out of nowhere, but brought a lot of excitement.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Scholes, G. Neville, Evra, Ferdinand, Rafael and Nani from my shitty memory.

RedFish

Zidane. Favorite player of all time, and I consider him to be on the same level as Maradona and Cruyff were. What is even better is that he now won a CL in his first season as a Real Madrid manager, and he seems to be respected by everyone around him. Truly a legend.
Me too.

RedFish

RVN - always respectful and speaks fondly of United and Ferguson. Clearly cares about the club and his time here.
Evra - What's not to like.
Park - Korean Superfan.
Rio - The more time passes by the more I miss him

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Eric.

I went to Old Trafford as a lad back when players didn't arrive together on a coach. Hughes jumped out of a Land Rover defender and went inside and I thought nobody could possibly be more awesome.

Then Eric came walking through the crowd from behind us, signed a couple of autographs, stopped and had a solid yarn with the guy on the door before going in. Made Hughes look snooty.

Cantona'sCollar

A lot of the players from Ferguson's 08 side, and not because of their footballing ability (one could say we won what we won because of the how they were as people, in addition to the quality of the side) - people like VDS, Vida, Rio, Evra, Ronaldo, Park, Scholes, Nani, Anderson, Neville.

Others would be Best, Keane (maybe many fans who are young like me will disagree), Sir Bobby, Irwin, OGS, RvN, Cantona, Bruce, Beckham, Rafael, RvP off the top of my head. There are many more, too many to name - it says a lot about our club, I think.

Oyibo

On non-United ex players,

Don Hutchinson and Leroy Rosenior are both good pundits on the Premier League Programme we have out here, hosted by Kenny Dogleash's daughter.

Gives me a reminder of home :)

vk20legend

Ole - My all time favorite player. His debut was also the first ever United match I ever saw and I became a fan of the club and Solksjaer from that day forward.

VdS
Schmeichel
Rio
Vidic
Evra
Park
Beckham - Loves the club. Always speaks about us as one of us.
Scholes - Some of our fans might not have been happy with his punditry, but he has the club's best interests and wants us to succeed. I can get behind that.

tomaldinho1

I used to hate Paul Ince, but he annoys me a lot less when he's doing punditry. Mostly because he looks really nervous a lot of the time and I almost feel sorry for him.

Bit of an odd shout as I never had anything against him as a player, but Dion Dublin is a surprisingly decent presenter on Homes Under the Hammer.
haha True!

John Keiler

Big Norman and Jimmy Ryan. Both gentlemen.
An absolute gent. I was at a corporate day a couple of years ago and he was one of the ex players in the room [so was Jimmy Greenhoff - gorblimey he enjoys a pie now]. Sitting next to me was a French guy with his 10 year old lad and Norm stopped and started chatting to the table. I was explaining to the lad who the guy chatting to his dad was and was eulogising about the '85 final goal. He whipped out his iPad, looked it up online and started shouting to him 'Monsieur, it ees you yes, it ees you?' whilst showing him the screen. Norm was politeness and charm personified with him, explaining the build up to the goal and exactly what he was thinking as he lined up the shot. I know he is paid for the corporate stuff, but the lad left with virtually every bit of paper within reach signed and at least 20 different photos. The young lads day was made completely.

My mate [not a United fan] who is the same age as me also sneaked a quick autograph thinking I did not see him do so- sad old bugger at 59. :)

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Patrice Evra is the main one for me. His personality is larger than life. I hope he comes back one day in some capacity. He'd make a great ambassador for the club.

Solskjaer too seems very likeable. I quite like that Solskjaer has a real Manc twang in his accent too.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Paul McGrath
George Best
Eric Cantona
Class of 92
Evra
Rafael

worldinmotion66

I really liked Shinji Kagawa and was a bit disappointed that he didn't really get a fair crack with us. Glad to see him doing well for Dortmund again.

Ivor Ballokov

Ole used to shop at the Waitrose my sister worked in when he was Cardiff manager, she said he was quiet but very polite. I'd say he and Edwin come across as thoroughly decent fellows.

Full bodied red

I'd say Denis Law, but if I understand the thread correctly, I can't becuse I idolised him when he was still playing for us.

Same goes for Eric, Rio, Vida, Patrice, RVN, Sparky, Gabby Heinze and OGS - couldn't love any of them any more than I already did.

So, of those who I've grown to like / respect MORE since they LEFT us or STOPPED PLAYING for us, Gary Bailey is a great shout; Gerard Pique - was really angry that he decided to leave us, but thrilled for him now at how his life and career has been so successful; and John Aston who was the exact opposite of the Crerand / Best / Law / Charlton glamour but had the best game of his life in the most important match of his life v Benfica 1968, then got badly injured and had left the club by the middle of the following season before he had a chance to finally win the affection of the OT crowd.

In years to come, I think I'll look back on Fellaini as a great tryer who gives everything he has, every match; who never complained despite the abuse he gets at OT; and like OGS, seems to be 101% professional when it comes to not being a regular first choice.

Last edited:

klayton88

Not sure I've seen G. Nev get a mention yet so he's my pick. Clearly loves United when you see him on sky but not so much it blinds him and makes him biased. I think he suprised a lot of other teams fans in his first stint on SkySports with just how honest and clued up he was from a tactical point of view and wasn't a biased Red as most thought he would be. Would love him back at OT in some capacity but will settle for him back at Sky.

Loon

:lol:
It's tough to look past Robson, but I loved him then, now, and forever.

Evra has gone from a disastrous debut to a bloke I just love to bits with a genuine affection for United.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
So many but if I had to choose one, it would probably be Nicky Butt. Hated it when he left but understood why he did so, was so glad when he returned to the club.

Davs

I've read the majority of posts on this thread and have seen a surprisingly minimal amount of Cristiano posts.

The guy has held amazing respect for our club since leaving and always talks highly of us. Massive respect for the guy.