g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Expectations for season 2023/2024

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Here we go again. After last season where, imo we did good, Erik will get players on all 3 positions where he wanted. Mount is done, Onana more or less done and probably Hojlund, ETH will have team according to his wishes. Our first 11 will look very strong and depth could be better but it is not THAT bad with Garnacho, Sancho, Eriksen, Lindelof and AWB.

What do you want/expect from next season? For me, good season would be winning a cup, next round in CL and go above 80 points in PL (which will lead to title challenge i guess).

Last edited:

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Consolidation. Top 4, another cup and quarters in the champions league. With the ownership stuff lingering on I would really value some stability on the pitch.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
If we finish 3rd again it’s fine, as long as there’s an improvement in play and we look more like a top team.

I want us to be in a position next Summer where we’re like okay if we sign X player we have a great chance of the league. A CL run would really help people believe we’re on the way back.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Top 3
At least 80 points
FA Cup / Carabao Cup
Deoendent on draw, reach CL QF

Play attractive football over the entire course of the season.

Tiber

Hard Fight for 4th unless we sign a prolific goalscorer

Smores

Not expecting us to actually challenge for a title but we should be very close to doing so.

Laurencio

Comfortably top 4, a good run in the CL and involved in the title race for large part of the season.

Hopefully.

If we get Kane in August, I expect a title.

Trex

*Highest point tally in the league post Fergie.
*Progression on the style of play developed i.e play on the front foot in at least 85-90% of games.
* UCL quarter final

Eddy_JukeZ

Depends on the window, but I'd say:

-A sizable progression in being able to recycle the ball vs better teams without the need to resort to transitional football
-A clear improvement in away form vs the better teams
-80 points in the league
-UCL quarters
-Another lengthy domestic cup run as a bonus

PoTMS

Minimum expectation is 3rd place, another cup trophy in the bag and quarter-finals of the UCL.

Telsim

What I hope for is a genuine title challenge even we don't up winning it and a good Champions League run. Maybe a domestic cup.

What I expect is a Top 5 finish (new CL quota?), and a definitive end to the abhorrent, passive transitional style of football. And don't get eliminated in the group stage of the Champions League.

CloneMC16

Top 2.
Win a trophy.
Score a lot more goals.
Improve away record.
Control more games.

philippexyz

Top 5(will be enough for UCL starting from next season) and quarterfinals of Champions League. Anything more is not realistic with the Glazer circus still present. There are still a lot of problems in the squad - lots of players that need to leave(be replaced) but won't.

LordSpud

My expectation right now is for Ten Hag to do the right thing and change the club captain to Bruno. Maybe that will encourage Maguire to want to leave.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Basically the same as last season, but better.

Last season we finished in the CL places, but the reality is that the actual level of our performances would have seen us miss out in many other seasons.

This season a CL place finish is again fine, but I want us to do it in a more convincing manner with a better style of play so we look primed to make the big step up to a serious title challenge the season after.

Similarly last season we showed well in some cup competitions and I'd like to see the same again. But in this case the main cup is the CL, in itself a step up in level on last season. A similar showing there (making it out of the group, losing a tight knockout game) will be progress.

Basically a bad season would be missing out on a CL place or not making strides forward in our style of play and performance levels.

Edit: Also, I'd hope to see us avoid any Liverpool style hammerings. Losing is one thing, but barring extraordinary circumstances it shouldn't be like that.

Dazzmondo

I still think striker will be a problem area for us next season if those are our signings. I'm concerned that Rashford's goals could drop a bit next season. He had a poor end to last season imo. That would be a massive problem for us. I don't think it's realistic to expect more than 10 league goals from Hojlund based on what he's delivered to this point in his career. I think Mount could help against smaller teams but I fear we'll have the same midfield issues as last season against the better teams. Still issues with a lack of creativity at rb. Also issues with a lack of depth. Biggest problem is how other teams are improving. Liverpool and Chelsea in particular look like they'll be a lot stronger. Villa and Newcastle seem to be strengthening a lot too. This season is probably just about consolidating CL football based on the players we seem to be targeting. If a Harry Kane or Victor Osimhen comes in the door that would change things significantly.

Irwin99

A title challenge is unrealistic in my opinion. Squad quality is very good but still needs improving over a few more windows.

Top 4, a decent run in the champions league and an FA cup win would be a good season.

Revan

Assumptionman
As things stand, getting top 4 with 80+ points and an improvement on how we play would be a good season.

To challenge for the title, we would need a world class striker (Kane or the Napoli striker), another midfielder, potentially another CB and Voldemort.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Depends on the quality of the CF we end up signing but assuming Onana plus a CF still to come:

Top 2/3 with a fairly serious title challenge;
More on field progress with clear improvement on last season;
UCL QF (assuming we get a reasonable group and/or not a R16 death tie);
Winning domestic cup would be a nice bonus on the above

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Top 4 (though 5th will also qualify for CL) and good cup showings. Depending on opponent, quarter final level feels right for the CL. Don't have the goalscorer to be more (hojlund is young, if he does comes).

Improving the system, more dominance and consistency, better away performances, not being thoroughly outplayed by teams (you can lose, but not get battered). Improve the xG differential compared to last season to show signs of progression towards being an elite club.

Main thing this season is developing from an inconsistent and plucky team into a team that plays excellent football and to get rid of most of the garbage performances. You'll always have some. But we had too many last season. Need to be able to deal with congestion better and if we address GK and CF, then we can't use that as an excuse anymore. The lineup and depth will be good and well rounded.

Adamsk7

Next year will be by far the toughest of any PL season - City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea will be stronger and I expect all those teams to be back in the equation as well as Newcastle who will improve considerably again. Then you have the likes of Villa making good moves in the market with an astute coach.

Consolidate top four and a good cup run. An improvement in our all around play. Anything else is probably wishful thinking unless we get Kane.

nangis

If we are able to get a proper striker: Join the title race, CL quarterfinalist, and a trophy
Otherwise: Top 4 in PL, Last 16 in CL, since the competition this season will be fiercer than ever

Todd

Assuming that the grand total of our summer haul is Mount, Onana, and Hojlund, my expectation will be:

1. Third or fourth in the league
2. Making it to the knockout round in CL
3. Making it to at least the semi-finals in the domestic cups

City and Arsenal are clear of us (assuming we make no surprise signings). Liverpool, Newcastle, and Chelsea will be in the mix with us for third and fourth.

The players we assume we're signing make us a better team, but aren't enough to get us to the next level.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Standards seems to have dropped here at United. It seems expectations at Chelsea is even higher than what it is at United.

Expectations should be challenging for a title. If Ole could come in second and Arsenal could do it, there is no reason we should be able to do it as well.

Other than that, a good run into the champion league and a domestic cup challenge.

Last edited:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Be closer to the top team if not challenge for the title, win another cup and reach the CL quarter final

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
A sustained improvement in points and performance.
And hopefully a good CL result.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
As always
Title challenge or top 4 and a final.