Expectations for season 2023/2024

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Top four, either with a points increase on last year or with another trophy. I crave stability at this point, I'm not ready to deem maintaining our position as failure, that can come later. Curse my low-expectations all you want.

Oh and more goals, yeah. 80 would be a dramatic improvement but a good few more than 58 please.

Teja

Higher points total, more goals, better underlying metrics, no blowout losses.

Feel like you need close to 80 to get top four this year and the top 10 are really strong.

captain666

Hopefully far more positive football,no more square passing across the back line,would expect top 4,good UCL run and a domestic trophy final.

Andersonson

Top 4 is a minimum requirement to stay in the job. We also should advance from the CL group stage.

Kag

I really want us to play better football and score more goals. Do that and the points tallies take care of themselves.

Ten Hag still needs another four or five players.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
As we cant control what other do in the market and right now, i feel there are 3 teams better than us, i would like to see: top 4 finish, better away performances, close to 80 points and a lot more goals.

James35

With a few more quality signings and the deadwood sold, 4th, currently I’d say 5th.

Think the league will be so much more difficult next season with Liverpool and Chelsea back in the mix. Arsenal are going nowhere and City will win it.

Maybe another cup run if the draw is kind and hopefully into knockout stages in CL.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Better football, less hammerings. Matching last season would be acceptable given the level of competition.

AFC NimbleThumb

People already building in excuses for regression should head to an Arsenal forum.

As above we need to play better week in week out & establish a style, I’d also like to concede no more than 3 goals in any one game - the capitulations have to stop.

al tuna

More goals
More aggression, ruthlessness
Top 3
Get out of the group in CL

Just...enjoyment. Dare I say...have fun? Show a bit of style? Play to win by 10 not 1.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Consistency on the pitch, clear signs that we are still ascending with a clear style of play.

The results will work themselves out if the above takes place.

TomSkalle

When i look at the summer transfer window, and the failed sale of the club i feel we are at the back foot allready, so i have no high expectations for this season.

- Top 4/5 securing CL play next season.
- ETH continue to build his project, and hopefully get his players to play ETH fotball.
- Good runs in both cups.
- Quarter Final CL.

I cant see us challanging for the title this year either.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
Not to get thrashed off Liverpool
Play much better attacking football and score more goals. Our goal difference last season was nowhere near good enough compared to the other teams around us.

scottser

Not to get thrashed off Liverpool
Play much better attacking football and score more goals. Our goal difference last season was nowhere near good enough compared to the other teams around us.
i'll go one better and predict that we'll beat liverpool home and away next season.

Doracle

I’d take treading water this season - so about 4th with 70-75 points - with the current suggested signings. I think anything above that is unrealistic. In the CL, getting out of the group and hopefully a QF at least.

slored1

Top 3, a Champions League quarterfinal and a deep run in one of the cups. Consolidated style of play and clear progression of some players (Sancho, Antony, Malacia). That would make me satisfied.

userman

If we sign Mount, Onana and Hojlund we’ve addressed the 3 most important needs in our starting 11 with clear upgrades.

With that outcome this window I predict that we will be genuine challengers come April, semifinal in CL and a domestic cup-title.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I expect....

Top 4 (although that's not guaranteed these days and will be tough this season with Chelsea and Spurs only having to focus on the league, a stronger Arsenal and Liverpool to contend with and obviously City) EDIT: and Newcastle

Reach the knockout stage of the UCL.

It would be nice to be in the title race (if there is one) and not be completely out of reach by April/May, but I think that might be asking too much.

JagUTD

Everyone hoping for top 4 must be expecting a comfortable season rather than the traditional battle for top 5

mark_a

100% what we need is a prolific scorer, our goal difference last season was poor. I realise that was at least partly down to those drubbings, but either way we won't get what we want (title challenge) without scoring more.
So my hope is a decent showing in the CL, top 3 in no doubt & a title challenge. Plus repeating some of the better performances of last season on a regular basis, which hopefully now that Erik has settled in we will have. It would be good to see us really killing games off & properly beating teams too.

On the other hand, what I expect (if we don't sign that striker/scorer) is that we'll be fighting for top 4 & making a meek CL exit. Unreasonable focus will be on both Mount and the new keeper and the media will be all over either of them at the first sign of any negatives. I hope I'm wrong of course! Hopefully, Erik's approach and training regime will be even more effective now it's had a season. I fear expectations from many "fans" will be unrealistic, given that an earlier post implied that we had to play beautiful football every game! Even FFP-cheats City with their media-adored football don't do that!

CM

We need to get better at controlling games and scoring more goals. I'm expecting progress on the style of play now we don't have De Gea in goal and plodders like Ronaldo or Weghorst up front for the majority of the season. I'm not wholly convinced the midfield situation will change dramatically, but we'll see.

If we can consolidate our progress from last year that would still be a positive season, I think. If we can put a decent run together in the Champions League and keep teams like Chelsea and Liverpool at bay then I would be happy with that.

ScholesyTheWise

Assuming Sancho, Antony, Marital stay at the same frustrating level,
and with Rashford not necessarily repeating his wonderful season...

There aren't enough goals in this team, also after we sign someone like the Atalanta striker whose name I can't spell. and if Mount is the only addition to our midfield I'm also worried about that.

City

Arsenal/United/Liverpool/Chelsea/Newcastle all competing for the 3 remaining spots.

I expect us to drop to 4-5th place for some reason. can't shake the feeling.
hope I'm wrong.

Cole9

Top 4 is a must, and stop getting spanked by 4+ goals in multiple games.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
I want us to really have a go at the CL. Beating Barca shows this team has the capability to knock out big sides and if we get a decent run to the final (like Inter this time) then you never know.

I wouldn't say it's an expectation, but would rather focus on the PL and the CL.

I do love the domestic cups, but my one concern with ETH is his lack rotation and we ran out of steam last season. I realise our reserves aren't great, but you could see Casimiro, Rashford etc playing against the likes of Rochdale at home in the cup.

Todd

If we sign Mount, Onana and Hojlund we’ve addressed the 3 most important needs in our starting 11 with clear upgrades.

With that outcome this window I predict that we will be genuine challengers come April, semifinal in CL and a domestic cup-title.
It would probably take Hojlund immediately being a 20-goal scorer in the league to achieve that and the odds of that are extremely low.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
It’s difficult / impossible to state expectations while an absolutely crucial transfer window is still wide open.

We haven’t got a GK or CF ffs.

Imagine if a proper, ready to rock PL striker was brought in AS WELL AS Hoijlund, suddenly expectations would go from 4th to 2nd.

Imagine if the Glazers were removed and Kane came in - the club would be absolutely, fecking buzzing like you probably can’t even imagine. A title challenge would start being talked.

It’s a huge window for Man Utd, the biggest since SAF retired imo.

The season ahead could see a title push with no Glazers, it could see a repeat of last season, or it could see a capitulation and ETH on the verge.

Any of the above could easily happen.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
We will finish above Arsenal for sure.
Liverpool you can't tell. Klopp usually has the off season then bang on season.
We will finish above Spurs & Chelsea.

But as usual whoever will finish above City will win it.

So we will see the kind of City and Liverpool team we will have next season by game 6. Then a clear prediction can be made.

fergosaurus

Top 4 and quarter final of the CL. If we challenge for the title it would probably be because of ETH's brilliance more than anything else. We're not quite there yet but if we sign a world class striker I might change my mind.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Top 3
Good run in the CL
A domestic cup would be good
No more drubbings