Expectations for the season

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
So, its obvious its going to be another car crash of a season and I have no expectations we'll get far in the CL, I think we'll get eliminated in the group stages.

In the league, we're already 6 points behind from top 4. City, Arsenal and Liverpool we have no chance to keep up with. So its a fight between us, spurs, brighton and newcastle for that 4th spot. I think we'll be 5th or 6th.

The domestic cups, the luck of the draw will determine how far we get.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think we should just aim for top 5. Anything else is a plus.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I was hoping for a more "comfortable" top 3 finish this season. Looks like we'll be in a top 4 battle again. We might still win a cup if we get a decent draw.

Devil81

Starting the season it was 2nd and a cup, after 5 games I'm looking and thinking top 6 might be difficult.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I have no expectations whatsoever. A top half finish and a decent Europa League run after we inevitably get booted out of CL by Galatasaray is probably our ceiling anyway.

JuriM

Top 4 in Premier League, Quarter Final in Fa Cup, Quarter Final in Champions League - w/e in Carabao

Chumpsbechumps

My only expectatons for the season are to get rid of our owners.
That’s it for me, until that happens, the club will continue to fumble on ,wasting money , split fanbase and basically employing players/managers as human shields for the incompetent owners

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Don’t think there are any at this point.

we aren’t getting top 4
we will likely be pumped in Europe and out at group stages
the one and only thing we can hope for is a cup run of sorts but I have zero confidence of that happening.

gajender

Comfortable top 4 with decent points tally but with good football and clear progressive direction .

I would be okay with missing out on top 4 as long as we move towards defined way of attacking and progressive football which is reflected on the field .

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Expecting a similar season to 21/22 at this point. Absolute mess.

Josep Dowling

Comfortable top 4 with decent points tally but with good football and clear progressive direction .

I would be okay with missing out on top 4 as long as we move towards defined way of attacking and progressive football which is reflected on the field .
If you think we will be playing good football with a clear progressive direction I don’t think you have watched any games this season.

Jacob

Will owners change the situation considering FFP?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
That’s it for me, until that happens, the club will continue to fumble on ,wasting money , split fanbase and basically employing players/managers as human shields for the incompetent owners
I agree we need new owners obviously but we had the same owners last season when we finished 3rd and won a cup. At this point you’ve got to start questioning the manager… he needs to keep players onside, he’s the one that started the whole Sancho thing by discussing it in public which was a massive distraction leading up to yesterdays game. He’s has got to be progressing from last season, we don’t even see a clear style of play yet.

gajender

Don’t think there are any at this point.

we aren’t getting top 4
we will likely be pumped in Europe and out at group stages
the one and only thing we can hope for is a cup run of sorts but I have zero confidence of that happening.
We will get the top 4 I am not even concerned about that let's revisit this by Early January but I am more interested to see whether we evolve and develop into the team that plays progressive and Attacking football because that's the better pointer to gauge whether we can compete for bigger trophies maybe in future and whether Ten Hag should be given time or not .

Skills

Snitch
Will owners change the situation considering FFP?
Unless they come in with inflated sponsorship deals - I'll say no. I genuinely don't think there's much room left for us. We've gone all in on ETH.

Maybe we should add a "back the manager" surcharge to the season tickets for next season's renewals for some more revenue?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We’ll miss out on UCL football next season, I reckon it’s a 6th placed finish.

UCL - last 16
FA Cup - quarter finals
Carabao Cup - 4th round

gajender

If you think we will be playing good football with a clear progressive direction I don’t think you have watched any games this season.
That's the expectation and that would influence my support for Ten Hag going forward .

I am still in the camp of giving him time atleast till January to see what he can do with fully fit squad and less of noise surrounding the Club .

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
The reality has hit us hard this season. In the summer we expected to make the next step towards challenging for the title, yet it seems like we've made two steps backwards instead and at the moment it doesn't seem like we'll be in the mix for anything bigger than a Europa League place battle in the league, which is depressing. I know it's early in the season but can't see us turning it around like last year as many clubs have got it together this year compared to the last one.

Battle for top 6 with constant rumours about Ten Hag's future is what I expect. In the cups you never know. I still expect us to go past the CL group stages and will be hoping for favourable draws in the domestic cups like last season, but at the moment it's all a big meh.

Already 9 points behind City with 5 fecking games played. They're the best team in the world, but this is completely unacceptable.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I can understand this.
But in reality, they are just the owners and don't really have much to do with the day to day running of the football side.
I dislike them as much as you.
However, the people who are in charge are the CEO, DoF, Ten Hag, coaching staff and of course the players are responsible for their own performance.

Yes the sale of the club can have a destabilising effect, if you let it.
But they should be professional enough to focus on their jobs first of all.
Too often the owners situation is used as an excuse.

Telsim

Things will probably improve, but if we are getting eliminated in the group stages, then let's at least finish last, so we don't go for another season of Thursday night football.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
At best it's looking like we're in a six way battle for 4th spot with Spurs, Newcastle, Chelsea, Brighton and Villa.

All 5 have better teams.

MegadrivePerson

Things will probably improve, but if we are getting eliminated in the group stages, then let's at least finish last, so we don't go for another season of Thursday night football.
Winning the Europa might be our only chance of playing Champions League football next season though.

CallyRed

If get top 4 it will be a bloody miracle. I think we will finish 6th-8th.
In the cups you never know what can happen, so there is always hope to go far in one of the domestic competitions.
I won't be surprised if we end up in the Europa League either.

Redstain

6th-8th. I predicted 6th before the season started. The transfer window hasn't improved the quality of the first team enough. Didn't predict the performances being so bad however. In many ways this team and manager are going backwards. They need to lock in but by way of assessing the players body language I reckon they are either losing confidence in ETH or something has happened behind closed doors.

Telsim

Winning the Europa might be our only chance of playing Champions League football next season though.
We are not winning the Europa League. There are teams with orders of magnitude more desire and hunger in that competition. They will go through us easily, like Sevilla did last season.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
I said this at the start of the season and before it started.

We won’t get top 4 or 5, we will struggle to be top 10 , there are 10 better run better facilitated clubs in the pl and the only reason we won’t be bottom 5 is because we just about have better talent than the clubs down there.

Make no mistake those clubs are closing the gap also.

EvRedMist

Qualifying for Champions league. On our current performances, that will be a big enough challenge for the club. I wouldn't expect us to get very far in the cups either as we have two issues that will hold us back; we concede often and can't score enough!
I don't particularly feel that other teams in contention for top four have better teams, but they do play better football, and I really think we have issues with our current coaching and instruction for games. I'm hopeful that having a proper striker is going to help us, but just as we find a piece to finish the jigsaw, we lose another two pieces. We need to string a run of results together to get some belief and confidence back.

Buckle up, because it's going to be a very long season. It's going to be hard, but that is now the United way.

Manutd GOGOGO

I can understand this.
But in reality, they are just the owners and don't really have much to do with the day to day running of the football side.
I dislike them as much as you.
However, the people who are in charge are the CEO, DoF, Ten Hag, coaching staff and of course the players are responsible for their own performance.

Yes the sale of the club can have a destabilising effect, if you let it.
But they should be professional enough to focus on their jobs first of all.
Too often the owners situation is used as an excuse.
I wish this was true but the Glazers are micro-managing all the staff and players transfer for some reasons... Ten Hag wanted his own physio from Ajax but was rejected by the Glazers...

Just found another excerpt fromTheAthletic

An agent says this approach has seeped into the football side, with chief negotiator Matt Judge, who worked with Woodward at JP Morgan, allowed minimal latitude: “The Glazers micro-manage everything. That’s why it all takes so long to sign players or offer new contracts. It’s no coincidence numerous players have got down to the final year of their deals. It goes from Matt to Ed to Joel to Ed to Matt. It’s excruciating. And in that time, Liverpool have signed a player.”

Von Mistelroum

My initial hope was for an improvement (as I wasn't sure we'd really strengthened much) in terms of play, but I also thought that we'd be battling for a top 4 spot at best due to the significant improvements to other teams versus our modest signings.

Now with the turmoil around the club, the issues the manager is clearly facing with figuring out how to play this team, and the regression of players like Rashford, McTom and Lindelof, I very much expect us to finish roughly where we are right now. We're extremely vulnerable at the back, and even if we look like we're dominating the play it's very unlikely we'll score, and much more likely that the opposition will break away and score with any chance they get.

I expect us to at least get a style of play and look like a premier league football team by the end of the season. I would also like to expect that any players including the likes of Rashford and Bruno who don't perform will be dealt with in the same way that Sancho was rightly dealt with, but that won't happen.

Gopher Brown

Fight bravely against relegation

But seriously, Top 6 now needs to be the aim. I think that will be a struggle