Expectations under Ole: 2019/20

AJ10

I - Sell most of our crappy players in the summer.
2 - Buy at least RW/RB/CM/CB/ST
3 - Have a predominant system of playing not just counter attack.
4 - Top 4

Most importantly good progress on above points.

Danish Wizard

Lets see what the transfer window brings of signings and sales.
A good window = Top four + a cup title.
An average window = Top six + out before semis.

But anyway, I want to see progress.

wolvored

Until we see this rebuild it's impossible to say. I think ole will be allowed one season of not finishing top four and unless we do get a lot of shit out and bring in a minimum of 4 really good players in that's where we will end up. You can see the Wanderers and Leicester being around or closer to the top 4 next season as well. The second season will be the all important one where he will be expected to get top 4 minimum, but will have at least 8/9 players of his own bought in and reserves promoted should be perhaps 13-14 of his own players

soapythecat

We will be languishing in the bottom half come December. My expectations will be when we get a new manager in after Christmas who has some relevant experience for us to judge how we will play and where we might end up.

Scriblerus

Top 6. Coherent playing style, with players in positions that suit them (meaning we stop buying square pegs because they have marquee names). Effort and commitment hugely increased. Some flair.
Anyone who thinks we can embark on a major overhaul and win a trophy next season is deluded.

Infra-red

Jesus. Who is going to overcome us? Wolves? Leicester?
I think you could make a case for us, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs all being vulnerable to that.

I wouldn't be that shocked to see one of those four clubs drop below Wolves/Leicester next season.

rotherham_red

I'm expecting a slow burner of a season. We likely won't get any absolutely top quality players in due to being in Europa and we'll probably have a half arsed Pogba who will be sulking because he didn't get his move.

With that in mind, my hope is that we build on the brilliant start we had under Ole and get back to that style of play. In terms of on-field attainment: EL would be the first priority for me as we would be in Pot 1 for the following season's CL group draw, which is better than what we could realistically hope for in the league. And in the league, Top 4.

I hope we win both domestic cups, but wouldn't be fussed if we dropped out in those either.

prateik

Top 4 + some good football..

Be realistic. One step at a time. We arent challenging... Lets just get some good players in and get better as a squad..

Arsenal are ... shit.. and Chelsea have a transfer ban.. If we are sensible, top 4 + improving the style of football is a pretty achievable goal.. No point pretending we are going to challenge for the title.. sacrifice the style of play to make sure we dont drop points..

Be free.. Have fun.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
My expectations will depend on the results of the transfer window.
If we sell DDG, Pogba, Lukaku, Martial (for some odd reason I think it's actually possible) without replacing them then top 6 would be my minimal expectation.

Let's see and wait what happens personnel-wise.

Treble

My expectation: Ole won't achieve what he should achieve in order to stay beyond next season. I'm not sure that the players believe in him any more.

Brophs

The One and Only
CL qualification, whether by means of top 4 or EL. And a proper turnover of an absolutely broken squad.

However, I don’t think he’ll be our manager in 18 months time. Fundamentally, the club is broken. I’ve seen nothing to suggest we’re capable of fixing that under the current ownership and with the current priorities. Plus, though my heart says otherwise, I suspect Solskjaer probably isn’t capable of doing this job. Then again, in its current form, I’m not sure anyone is.

Kemizee

The thread is obviously what our expectations are based on the situation we are in. Expecting to win the league (which means winning 100+ points) with this team and the manager is really deluded.
We are going to make purchases this summer and if they go well, why can't we ?
For all we know, Ole may pick up the steam as much as he did first earlier in his appointment. Nothing is impossible in football.

Pughnichi

No commercial based signings
Focus on attainable targets
Clear the squad
Promote the youth
Wages in order for squad harmony

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Top 4 assuming he's properly backed in the transfer market. If not, same as this season.

Kemizee

We won't be anywhere near that in the next two-to-three years (and possibly substantially longer). We are miles off it.
I keep hearing this but let's look at Liverpool. Did a couple of vital signings not see them challenging well this year?

What about when Chelsea got Matic, Costa and Luiz back in 2015 and won the league?

If we were to get a competent CB,RB RW and CM, I beleive we would challenge properly and maybe win .

We cannot keep spending and not demanding progress from our coach and players. I am tired of this top four target season in season out for the last 7 years.

We can do it. We just need the right personel and tactical ingenuity from our coaches.

sugar_kane

1. Restore some pride to the club and make all our players know it's a privilege to play for us
2. Root out the bad apples in the dressing room and be ruthless in doing so
3. Promote youth
4. Sign a handful of exciting young players and successfully integrate them into the team
5. Establish a clear style of play, ideally fast, exciting, attacking football
6. Put in place a strong platform to build on in 2020/21 - results next season are fairly irrelevant right now as we're miles away from being a top team.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
For all we know, Ole may pick up the steam as much as he did first earlier in his appointment. Nothing is impossible in football.
We will make purchases, probably not enough of them and they will not be the quality to all of a sudden turn us into a title winning team.

Infra-red

I keep hearing this but let's look at Liverpool. Did a couple of vital signings not see them challenging well this year?

What about when Chelsea got Matic, Costa and Luiz back in 2015 and won the league?

If we were to get a competent CB,RB RW and CM, I beleive we would challenge properly and maybe win .

We cannot keep spending and not demanding progress from our coach and players. I am tired of this top four target season in season out for the last 7 years.

We can do it. We just need the right personel and tactical ingenuity from our coaches.
But we don't have the transfer market know-how to acquire those personnel, as has been shown repeatedly in the last 6 years. It is going to be another mediocre/poor summer of recruitment.

You can't reasonably expect a title challenge from a weak squad lead by a novice coach.

D4X73r

I would be glad if he get rid of the deadwood and injects the "United spirit" into the team. If he can do this, League position is irrelevant to me

redshaw

Hard to say right now with so much in the balance regarding players coming and going.

Could be top 4 or flitting from 6th to 10th or a sacking. A poor summer and lack of confidence could see the job swallowing Ole up.

I'm upbeat that we can make good signings and Ole can get a pressing and passing style. Will vote after the summer if a poll goes up.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Jesus. Who is going to overcome us? Wolves? Leicester?
Either and possibly both. But that is based on an extreme scenario this summer where we keep hold of deadwood, make dud signings whilst losing Pogba and DDG, and having Rashford as our premier striker all season. So unlikely but you never know with this god forsaken club.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I would be glad if he get rid of the deadwood and injects the "United spirit" into the team. If he can do this, League position is irrelevant to me
A lot of the older fans think the same way.:)

dove

The slight problem here is that we literally need 100 points to win the league as City is a 100 point team and they will do it again next season. We could possibly have a decent season with 80 points or so if we do well in transfer market but that's about it. However I think the most possible scenario is that we sign more deadwood and Ole get's sacked in December.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Either and possibly both. But that is based on an extreme scenario this summer where we keep hold of deadwood, make dud signings whilst losing Pogba and DDG, and having Rashford as our premier striker all season. So unlikely but you never know with this god forsaken club.
You can blame Woody for many things but this kind of downshifting is something that he will never agree to, for better or worse.

johanovic

1. Sell and release: Valencia(gone),Herrera(gone sadly),Martial,Young,Lukaku,Matic,Mata,Darmian,Bailly,Rojo,Jones,Fosu-Mensah,Sanchez
2. Promote and give chances to: Tuanzebe,Greenwood,Garner,Chong,Gomes,O´Connor, Laird
3. Sign players from this group: Sancho, Sessangon, Felix, N.Pepe, Rice, Ndombele,Rabiot,Doucoure,Ndidi,Bissaka,Koulibaly,M.Demele,Piatek,
4. Have a squad of:
GK: De Gea, Romero
RB: Dalot,Bissaka,Laird/O´Connor
CB: Lindelof,Koulibaly,Tuanzebe,Smalling
LB: Shaw,Sessangon
Midfield: Pogba,Rice,Ndidi,Ndombele/Rabiot,McTominay,Garner,Gomes
Attacking mid: Sancho,Pepe,Felix,Rashford,Chong
Strikers: Piatek,Greenwood,Rashford

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Squad rebuilding + top4 position and I'm a happy man. Difficult to ask for more after watching our footie quality.

Treble

The bit bold is all this thread should be about.
Fair point. It's difficult to tell the expectations without seeing first the transfer activity and pre-season. If the board backs him up and we sign 4-5 star players worth, say, 250m, the expecations will be top 4 at least and obvioius signs of progress regarding work rate and style. If the transfer summer is poorish and Ole uses youngsters next season, top 6 will be enough. Right now top 4 (or CL place via the EL) is probably seen as a must as 2 years in a row without CL footy might be too much.

Skills

Snitch
Minimum should be top 3 because we'll massively outspend Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea this summer and have done for the last few years.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
You can blame Woody for many things but this kind of downshifting is something that he will never agree to, for better or worse.
It is less about him agreeing to it and more to do with his incompetence. I have never been on board with this the Glazers want to bleed the club dry and Woody wants to drag us into being a top 4 only club - but they’re incompetent as feck even if their heart has been in the right place for the most part.

Phil Osophy

Many things in the air right now from the top to the bottom to say anything concrete in terms of results or achievements. What I expect regardless is a more fresh and energetic team, closer to his first games in terms of display and intentions on the field than to the current crap. More presence of young players, a team better prepared physically, improving our game on the ball as the season goes by and the new signings gel.

I don't expect any miracles short term but I'd like to see the basis of a more dynamic team in the making, so we can keep building from it the following season, and the next one and so on. I just had enough of these conserative dinosaurs and their overcalculated tactics while the rest are flying on the field, pressing high and showing attacking intent, so I'd like to see us for once building in that direction. No matter if it takes more or less time, I think that should be the goal not just for Solskjaer but for the club as well.

So I hope that technical whatever we are going to appoint has this ambition for the long term, and Woodward doesn't interfere in that plan. We've seen that changing from one style to another one after a pair of seasons is leading us nowhere, so I think it's time to build around a long term strategy until we reach our goal. If at some point we are a mess and Solskjaer is sacked then bring someone who fits the plan, instead of going for some uninspiring dinosaur who won a lot of trophies 5 or 10 years ago.

Of course I'd like to see us getting top-4 at least and winning a cup, but I won't judge next season based on a ball hitting the post or going inside. Our main problem right now is that everything is totally undefined, so next season for me is mainly about drawing clear lines, laying the foundations and seeing the club operating better than before. Once everything gets shape I'll have more clear expectations, but by the moment these are the 'goals of the season' for me.

Skills

Snitch
Net spends from last two transfer windows:

United = £42.6m
Arsenal = £67.6m
Chelsea = £133.4m

(City = £20.7m, Liverpool = £129m)
Interesting. Not going to bother with City and Liverpool but I'm guessing the Countinho fee isn't included in the Liverpool figure.

I guess if outspending us by 20m and 90m for one season was enough for Arsenal and Chelsea to overcome us, outspending them by similar amounts should be enough for us to overtake them next season.

Chelsea have a transfer ban and Arsenal will probably spend as much as last season. And I'm sure Spurs will be penny pinching again this summer, so them too.

While we're meant to spend a record amount this summer.

MoskvaRed

I’d like to see evidence of some genuine sense of direction, starting with a recognisable, modern system of playing and concrete improvements to the squad (starting with low hanging fruit like Young and Sanchez). Momentum is also key - if we are noticeably better in December than in August, and then better in May than December, then he’d deserve another season, even if we finish fifth or sixth and fail to win a cup.