FA Cup | 5th Round | QF draw: Leicester (A)

croadyman

Yep, they’ve been doing a good job of clearing everything going in, so instead they decide to try and be too smart and give them 2 easy chances.

thats the issue with the offside trap it has to be so well drilled, 1 mistake throws it all away.
That sort of thing can happen at a lower league level but they still be immensely proud of their performance and certainly pushed City much harder than I ever thought they would

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Definite foul on the goalkeeper from the corner.
Nah, Konsa going for the ball and didn't even make that much contact or impact on the Darlow punch.

Been as comfortable as I hoped for. Can't get over them thinking Schar swipe played Ollie on for the goal as the defender is trying to clear it. Nonsense if forwards about 3 yards ahead of the defender are going to be allowed goals like that now.

In any case looked to me like Watkins was just behind the goal when it was crossed in.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Nah, Konsa going for the ball and didn't even make that much contact or impact on the Darlow punch.

Been as comfortable as I hoped for. Can't get over them thinking Schar swipe played Ollie on for the goal as the defender is trying to clear it. Nonsense if forwards about 3 yards ahead of the defender are going to be allowed goals like that now.

In any case looked to me like Watkins was just behind the goal when it was crossed in.
Doesn't really matter though... He's not got the ball and has totally taken out the keeper. I mean, if a player heads the ball and opponent jumps into him and wipes him out, it's a foul.

Just because the ball is in the air doesn't mean the rules are different from if the ball is on the floor...

Last edited:

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa

They've definitely set a precedent now for this silly rule. Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Watkins was ahead of the ball when it was sent in. According to them he's still onside because he "received" the ball from the opposition "deliberately" playing the ball.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Doesn't really matter though... He's not got the ball and has totally taking out the keeper. I mean, If a player heads the ball and opponent jumps into him and wipes him out, it's a foul.

Just because the ball is in the air doesn't mean the rules are different from if the ball is on the floor...
There was very little contact between Konsa and Darlow, if anything Lascelles goes more into him so a bit different when Carroll and Martinez clashed a few minutes earlier.

Would be interested if it was deemed another phase of play anyway as ball goes out of the box and then we pass it around. I mention it as Chelsea had a goal v West Brom which was allowed despite havertz handballing even though Tammy tapped it in about 10 seconds later.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They've definitely set a precedent now for this silly rule. Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Watkins was ahead of the ball when it was sent in. According to them he's still onside because he "received" the ball from the opposition "deliberately" playing the ball.
I would have had little issue with him being called off if he'd been ahead of the ball when cross came in. Same as the one he did get called offside for which was the correct decision.

Just feels to me like forwards can deliberately go a yard or two offside and then gamble the defender will slide in and slice the ball as these things happen so quickly it's not like the defender always has time to realise striker is offside and just leave the cross.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I love Bruce. However, if he insists on playing Andy Caroll he deserves to be sacked. He's absolutely finished as a football player (some would rightly argue he never was football player). He'd be a good prospect at bullying League 2 defences.

Lee565

grealish gets all the headlines for villa but traore has looked a real menace this season for villa

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Mings with another attempt to really damage someone.
Trying to utterly go through someone instead of just clearing the ball.

U99ted

If Villa, Everton & Spurs win their games in hand, they all go above Liverpool.

Neo_Mufc

I love Bruce. However, if he insists on playing Andy Caroll he deserves to be sacked. He's absolutely finished as a football player (some would rightly argue he never was football player). He'd be a good prospect at bullying League 2 defences.
I messaged the same thing to a mate. "League 1 striker tops".