FA-Using United...

WireRed

You are stretching a point if you think Rooney puts bums on FA seats.The FA will make money from matches at Wembley regardless.

This has nothing to do with FA and club politics and everything to do with the FA getting fed up of Rooney's petulant antics.

He behaves like the scummy chav he is
The point I'm making is that had they been consistent and as concerned with respect and all that twaddle last summer, they'd have banned him for his actions after the Algeria game. They didn't because they stood to rake in a fortune had England reached the latter stages of the tournement. Basically, they are willing to ban him when it suits them but no when it potentially harms their coffers.

What Rooney does or doesn't behave like is down to conjecture and individual opinion, what is fact is that the FA do things to suit their own agenda rather than with consistency and for the greater good of the game.

RedRover

I highly doubt it. The media coverage would have been nowhere near as intense for starters. They'd have been given a formal warning at worst, just like Gerrard when he stuck two fingers up at the ref for the public to see clearly.

Fergie has been banned, punished, and made an example of more times than I care to remember. The commitee that imposed the current ban even said so. They even admitted that his profile demanded greater responsibility hence greater sanctions aswell. That is nonsense, and SAF's representative Graham Bean was bang on the money in what he said about the FA...That they use the profile of MUFC to enhance their own credibility, which most would agree has been in tatters for a while now. This whole Rooney situation has yet more evidence of it, hot on the heels of them using SAF and his profile in the same way. SAF has at times in the past been the architect of his own downfall, I agree with that, but what he's been banned for this time is comparatively little and crucially, less severe than what other managers at less prestigous club's have got away scot free with.

No, the point of retrospective punishments is to clamp down on misconduct. That's fine, but when you start taking into account the individuals and the profile they have/the profile their club has, that is not a fair trial. Each case should be examined at face value without any prejudice or agenda to punish one for who they are, instead of what they did. When we start going down the road the FA are going now, we might aswell make one set of rules and sanctions for the majority and another one for the elite. It's garbage, grossly unfair, and a scandal.

Yeah, he has brought the game in disrepute. But he did the exact same thing last summer when wearing an England jersey. Where on earth was the pedantic watchdog that is the FA then eh? The whole point of regulations is to implement them each time they aren't adhered to, the fact is that the FA didn't because it suited them not to, and now it suits them to take action. That is inconsistent, hypocritical, and quite frankly, a disgrace to the code of fair play. They cannot be so morally jumped up when they sold their morals down the river last summer for the sake of their national team and potential to earn more prize money to fund some of the many expensive cock-ups they've made over the years.

They are an organisation that is as bent as a roundabout and needs to be weaned from top to bottom by this government enquiry ASAP. The stench of hypocrisy and conflicting interests is overwhelming.
Again - very little to disagree with, other than your suggestion that Rooney has been made a special case. In the circumstances I don't think it would have been the case that its one rule for him and one rule for everyone else - largely because what he did was aso blatantly stupid they couldn't not take action.

Clearly rules are not applied consistently - we see it every week in the PL. a few seasons ago we had a spate of red cards for players making two footed tackles - it was a hot topic for a few weeks and then dissapeared. Its frustrating but arguably all teams suffer from it at some stage.

As regards Rooney's actions in the summer there could be argued that there's a distinction. I could be wrong (?) but I don't remember him swearing - merely stating something after the game which although clearly ill advised and controversial was not outright offensive. In any event the circumstances were different - what would banning him from playing for England have achieved other than to make a shambolic situation even worse?

It seems we agree that the FA and the way it's run is - fundamentally flawed but the system is the system, as poor as it might be so whats to be gained by fighting it at every turn? Certainly no advantage.

Perhaps every case should be decided on its merits - but it never will be, largely due to media coverage as well as the prevailing political stance of the parties involved at the time.

My point is largely this. The FA are a joke, no doubt about it - but if players behave like adults and managers don't court controversy in the media then you don't face any charges and you can't get stiffed. Its not the FA's fault that Rooney lost his temper on Saturday, it being yet another example of ill discipline from a player who should know better which could cost his team in the long run.

ERICSAGOD

Grumpy Old Git
I thought they should have fined him and warned him about future conduct. The ban seems harsh, but the conspiracy theories mooted on the Caf are a bit pathetic.
A bit, they're bloody ridiculous!

Rooney's got a very big mouth, and unfortunately a very small brain! For which he (and his team mates) are now paying the price.

Can't imagine Scholes or Giggsy acting in this unprofessional loutish manner.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
How fecking hard is it for Rooney to play along with what the media expect, it's not like they told him not to feck his wife or something, swearing infront of the camera where millions watch it is just plain wrong and unnecessary.

I know you and I we all swear everyday, and it's not a big secret or heresy, but if he happened to be in the position to have the luxury of being seen by millions perhaps he should learn to act a little classy about it.

Imagine your 8yo thinks it's cool to swear because he see his idol swearing on TV and the next day swearing at this teammates at school, i know i did that before, and the media imposed some restriction on contents for a good reason albeit how much we know it's hypocrisy.

Passion does not have to be expressed in swearing foul language.

Amir

This has nothing to do with FA and club politics and everything to do with the FA getting fed up of Rooney's petulant antics.

He behaves like the scummy chav he is
Now let's assume you're right, does that make THEM right in doing so?

WireRed

A bit, they're bloody ridiculous!

Rooney's got a very big mouth, and unfortunately a very small brain! For which he (and his team mates) are now paying the price.

Can't imagine Scholes or Giggsy acting in this unprofessional loutish manner.
How is it ridiculous when we get punished for the same things others get away scot free with? They didn't ban Rooney for screaming "feck sake" into a TV camera last summer when on England duty did they? If that's not enough to question the integrity of their disciplinary system, maybe SAF getting pinged with a 5 match ban for saying something far less severe than Pulis, Di Matteo, Redknapp, and Wenger(who all got off without a dickie bird from the FA)is enough to question them? Then there is the Ferdinand missed test saga and getting banned for longer than someone who actually got busted using drugs like Mutu, is that not an odd judgement?

WireRed

No

That's as balanced as it gets
You'll be campaigning for Szczesny to get a ban then, I assume? He has after all, just slagged a referee off on Twitter and basically shown disrespect has he not?

That lad is as big a cnut as you'll find in the PL. Not achieved a thing yet he's got more lip than Leslie Ash.

Make sure your own back yard is clean before passing judgement on others.

Rooney did wrong, we get that. But the sanction is excessive and inconsistent in relation to past incidents of a similar nature.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
Anyone with half a brain can see that the FA are using Manchester United to make a point or a stand. No other clubs' manager would have been punished like Sir Alex was and no other player would have been punished like Rooney.

To be fair, as long as the FA continue with the same sanctions against other clubs, managers and players from now on, I have no big issues with them using United to make a point. But, I don't think thry will show any consistency, due to 1) this has been media-led, and the media highlights and blow anything United out if proportions, positives and negatives, and 2) because they have made their point now. That's what I think they care about. Not to govern the game in a fit and fair manner.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I have no sympathy for Rooney

Time and time again he fails to control his temper

He's got previous for swearing at refs, lashing out at opponents, punching corner flags when he gets sent off and spiteful tackles

Isn't it about time he learnt not to behave like a lout?
of course a liar like you would say that. You are not honest. you have an agenda.

You hope Rooney gets banned and thus United are handicapped in the two matches.

run before you miss your flight.

AgainstAllOdds

As a distraction from the current government enquiry into their governance of the game IMO. Being probed and having your organisation doubted can't be good for their image, so they've come up with a nice little plan to take the focus off that and make themselves look useful in the process...chuck the book at the biggest club in the land and use the publicity to aid your own cause. Very big of them :rolleyes:

The sooner the government declare them unfit for purpose the better, maybe then we can have the structural changes needed within the FA to prevent nonsense charges like we've seen against SAF and Wayne recently, not to mention the staggering incosistencies in which each case is reviewed.

No wonder nobody voted for them and their bid for 2018, I wouldn't vote for a bunch of puppets controlled by the media, and who are a disgrace to their nation either.

Rant over!
The government cannot interfere otherwise UEFA and FIFA will ban the country from all competitions for government interference in FA Affairs. This is how the people at these powerful institutions hold their power, they protect themselves and they protect those who vote for them by abusing the power they hold!

Everything is corrupt. I had the answers to the FIFA Player's Agent exam the night before it was taken in all the countries (last Thursday). It was bought for 2500 Euros by someone I know in Germany.

AgainstAllOdds

He just gave me the questions for fun, I was going to forward them to BBC but I didn't bother as it's no use. The most it would do is some outrage and maybe an exam cancellation or retake, losing some people money, but feck all else.

Gillespie

Pitying all you northerners doomed to a life of cu
of course a liar like you would say that. You are not honest. you have an agenda.

You hope Rooney gets banned and thus United are handicapped in the two matches.

run before you miss your flight.

I am not a liar.

Rooney will only miss one premiership match against Fulham and I don't think that will make a United win any less likely, so I don't have an agenda

WireRed

I think SAF's latest charge is yet another example of them cracking down on us to suit their own agenda ie. to make themselves look useful and use us as a deterrant.

It's bollocks and could it be coincedence that this has occured during the week they've had yet another round of government scrutiny about their fitness to serve their purpose? I think not. It's funny how all these charges seem to crop up at such convenient moments from their POV isn't it?

Doesn't help that they are run by a bitter either. He was probably a little piqued that his club's little moment could be relegated to the middle pages by United winning the league this weekend.

Levi_Jm

I think SAF's latest charge is yet another example of them cracking down on us to suit their own agenda ie. to make themselves look useful and use us as a deterrant.

It's bollocks and could it be coincedence that this has occured during the week they've had yet another round of government scrutiny about their fitness to serve their purpose? I think not. It's funny how all these charges seem to crop up at such convenient moments from their POV isn't it?

Doesn't help that they are run by a bitter either. He was probably a little piqued that his club's little moment could be relegated to the middle pages by United winning the league this weekend.
Yep

Stick

Supports
Liverpool

SAF was warned about previous comments and banned and now he has gone down the same road again. I dont see this as defensible.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Ancelloti made almost identical comments in the build up to the very same game.

It's getting quite embarassing now. It's like having the game run by a bunch of bitter little children.

Are they still upset at United sacrificing the FA Cup semi a couple of years ago to prepare for a CL game? It must be something along those lines. It's the only way this kind of behaviour makes sense.

Still, let the baby have it's bottle. Doubt Fergie will care too much when he's lifting the trophy at OT in a couple of weeks.

WireRed

SAF was warned about previous comments and banned and now he has gone down the same road again. I dont see this as defensible.
You serious? He was banned because he criticised a ref after a game(albeit very accurately IMO). In this instance, he's been asked about the choice of ref and answered in glowing terms, I really don't see what he's said that merits a charge.

If the FA are so keen to have the refs unspoken about pre or post-game, they should instruct the broadcasters and media not to invite a manager to dicuss these issues. But they don't because they know somewhere along the way one of them will trip up and say something they percieve to be wrong about a ref, then they can swan in and look useful and not to mention pick up another few grand to pay off the debt for their concrete bowl of an HQ.

The FA are driven by an agenda to help themselves and their image rather than an agenda to do what's right for the game. They are a disgusting organisation, cleaner only than FIFA in the incompetence stakes.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
You serious? He was banned because he criticised a ref after a game(albeit very accurately IMO). In this instance, he's been asked about the choice of ref and answered in glowing terms, I really don't see what he's said that merits a charge.

If the FA are so keen to have the refs unspoken about pre or post-game, they should instruct the broadcasters and media not to invite a manager to dicuss these issues. But they don't because they know somewhere along the way one of them will trip up and say something they percieve to be wrong about a ref, then they can swan in and look useful and not to mention pick up another few grand to pay off the debt for their concrete bowl of an HQ.

The FA are driven by an agenda to help themselves and their image rather than an agenda to do what's right for the game. They are a disgusting organisation, cleaner only than FIFA in the incompetence stakes.
Do you think maybe that SAF is just getting into the headlines in the build up to the Champions League final to take the heat off his players and the press hounding them? Maybe ala mourinho? He knew the FA would react like this to his comments.

Excal

Do you think maybe that SAF is just getting into the headlines in the build up to the Champions League final to take the heat off his players and the press hounding them? Maybe ala mourinho? He knew the FA would react like this to his comments.
Rednev not wumming hard enough for you?

WireRed

:lol: Wow. And in the process rid himself of another £50,000? Get real.

His comment was a casual, throw away sort you'll see in every press conference. If he really wanted to stir some headlines, he'd have backed Jose's opinion up or slammed UEFA referees or something like that. This is nonsense that the FA have nitpicked from their own arse, I'm afraid. Nothing more, nothing less.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict

Yea but you're a Liverpool fan.

Fergie could make a £1m donation to Unicef and your fans would turn it into a negative, and probably write to the FA asking for him to be charged for bribery or something.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
[/B]
Yea but you're a Liverpool fan.

Fergie could make a £1m donation to Unicef and your fans would turn it into a negative, and probably write to the FA asking for him to be charged for bribery or something.
Not saying what SAF said is negative at all. I quite agree with him. I think refs should be given technology to get their decisions right and then SAF wouldnt have to come out with his comments. I just think SAF is excellent with the media and suggest that he knows how to detract attention from his players and allow them to prepare properly prior to a major tournament final. Just a suggestion which you all clearly dont agree with so fair enough.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Rednev not wumming hard enough for you?
Not wumming in the slightest just think that SAF would know what to expect from the FA. I agree with all that SAF has said but feel for the refs too.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
:lol: Wow. And in the process rid himself of another £50,000? Get real.

His comment was a casual, throw away sort you'll see in every press conference. If he really wanted to stir some headlines, he'd have backed Jose's opinion up or slammed UEFA referees or something like that. This is nonsense that the FA have nitpicked from their own arse, I'm afraid. Nothing more, nothing less.
I presume the 50k is hardly coming out of his pocket. I'm just observing that united have massive game coming up against Barcelona and SAF is in the press because of a casual throw away comment. Quite clever in my view.

Excal

Not wumming in the slightest just think that SAF would know what to expect from the FA. I agree with all that SAF has said but feel for the refs too.
Yeah. It must've been quite a strain for Webb to be praised so vociferously by both managers. Clearly Fergie's was too much, hence his refusal to send Ivanovic off.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah. It must've been quite a strain for Webb to be praised so vociferously by both managers. Clearly Fergie's was too much, hence his refusal to send Ivanovic off.
Still think refs would be helped by technology and they could justify their decisions at the time with a quick replay and if they were wired in they could explain it live.

Levi_Jm

Even if he's being charged for breaking rules, Ancelotti said pretty much the same thing and this is the first charge of this nature ALL season. Are we to say that no other manager said anything about a ref before a match, putting on pressure on him to make the right call or whatever....OR even worse..... THIS IS THE FIRST TIME ALL SEASON SIR ALEX HAS DONE IT????

Try and be objective will ya!

MrK

I presume the 50k is hardly coming out of his pocket. I'm just observing that united have massive game coming up against Barcelona and SAF is in the press because of a casual throw away comment. Quite clever in my view.
I think the flaw in your theory is the fact that SAF didn't say anything controversial. I don't doubt that what you suggest is a tactic that Fergie has used in the past, but in the press conference in question he was asked a question directly about the referee, and rather than dropping in a controversial thought or two he just said what everyone else has been saying about Webb for the last year. He refereed the two biggest games in the world football calendar last year, how can saying he's the top referee in the country be worthy of condemnation!?

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Even if he's being charged for breaking rules, Ancelotti said pretty much the same thing and this is the first charge of this nature ALL season. Are we to say that no other manager said anything about a ref before a match, putting on pressure on him to make the right call or whatever....OR even worse..... THIS IS THE FIRST TIME ALL SEASON SIR ALEX HAS DONE IT????

Try and be objective will ya!
Pot meet kettle. You cant be objective because you're looking at it in Red tinted glasses.

Aaron

Pot meet kettle. You cant be objective because you're looking at it in Red tinted glasses.
How is pointing out the offense was committed by other managers this season, having 'red tinted' glasses on?

If having a bias excludes all football fans from opinion, you'd be a hypocrite if you ever opened your mouth again.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
How is pointing out the offense was committed by other managers this season, having 'red tinted' glasses on?

If having a bias excludes all football fans from opinion, you'd be a hypocrite if you ever opened your mouth again.
But this isnt the first time SAF has given an opinion on a ref this season and he had been banned previously. He knows the score.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool

I was making the same point when I said pot meet kettle to regarding opinion. Of course I'm biased but so is everyone else here!

Aaron

But this isnt the first time SAF has given an opinion on a ref this season and he had been banned previously. He knows the score.
Giving an opinion on a referee isn't against the rules. His previous punishment were not for just giving an opinion, it was the opinion he gave.

The FA do not charge people for giving opinions on referees after the game and I've never heard of them charging people for speaking of the referee before a game either, until now. As others have said, Ancelotti also broke this rule.

Ferguson's previous charges are irrelevant as he isn't been charged for the same reason.