FA Youth Cup - 5th Round - United vs. Everton

Mickson

United was fantastic in attack today, especially Gore, Mainoo, Mather, and Garnacho. Good game overall and very entertaining. I wish the first team could be like this.

Bertie Wooster

Good performance and an enjoyable game to watch.

Enjoying watching the development of Garnacho and Mainoo, especially. And they were very good again today.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Just back from Old Trafford...a really entertaining game. Fairly even in the first half but in the second period I lost count of how many chances we had. An excellent team performance.

Moriarty

Just back from Old Trafford...a really entertaining game. Fairly even in the first half but in the second period I lost count of how many chances we had. An excellent team performance.
Are we in with a good chance of winning it this year? Also, what was the crowd?

Mr. MUJAC

Are we in with a good chance of winning it this year? Also, what was the crowd?
When you you get to this stage all the teams are in with a shout.

The QF are:

Wolves/Spurs v Brighton
Blackburn v Nottingham Forest
Manchester United v Leicester City
Chelsea v Blackpool

I have no idea on most of those teams except we have a good record against Wolves in the last two seasons, are capable of beating Blackburn and Chelsea are still strong.

The other teams I have no idea about.

The crowd was maybe 1,500+ which was really poor. Having said that, no other ties reached 1000 and Liverpool v Chelsea only drew 250 fans which is totally crap.

Mickson

The QF are:

Wolves/Spurs v Brighton
Chelsea v Blackpool

I have no idea on most of those teams except we have a good record against Wolves in the last two seasons, are capable of beating Blackburn and Chelsea are still strong.

The crowd was maybe 1,500+ which was really poor. Having said that, no other ties reached 1000 and Liverpool v Chelsea only drew 250 fans which is totally crap.
People are fed up with United, and it, unfortunately, affect the youth teams. Too bad because they are almost everytime a great watch.

Thiagoal

People are fed up with United, and it, unfortunately, affect the youth teams. Too bad because they are almost everytime a great watch.
I have noticed a general apathy towards our youth sides on here recently too- often no thread appears. A shame as there are still some really promising players to keep an eye on!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I have noticed a general apathy towards our youth sides on here recently too- often no thread appears. A shame as there are still some really promising players to keep an eye on!
Think popularity peaked with the Gomes, Greenwood, Laird, Garner and Chong teams.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Fell asleep at half-time then woke up for the last 10 mins, but I was struck by the lack of quality in the game. So many poor passes and touches.

themightyreds1983

United players are the most over hyped due to popularity of the club. We all know the best players are generally at City and Chelsea

Moriarty

The QF are:

Wolves/Spurs v Brighton
Chelsea v Blackpool

My dad used to take me to Youth Cup games in the 60s when the crowds were always big.

OldRed1

My dad used to take me to Youth Cup games in the 60s when the crowds were always big.
My dad used to take me to Youth Cup games from it's inception in 1953. They were always at OT, as were the reserves, and always pulled a good crowd. Because it was cheap we usually went in the stands rather than the terraces. Watched the first final against Wolves (9-3) and in '56 we played Chesterfield and I was amazed by their young keeper, Gordon Banks.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Slept early so missed the game. Is there any highlight available? Cant seem to find it on Mutv

GueRed

Mainoo edges it for MOTM for me.

Did a bit of everything really well. Good link up, got about the pitch and isnt afraid to get stuck in...

Goal was the icing. Showed good determination and timing for the header.

Moriarty

My dad used to take me to Youth Cup games from it's inception in 1953. They were always at OT, as were the reserves, and always pulled a good crowd. Because it was cheap we usually went in the stands rather than the terraces. Watched the first final against Wolves (9-3) and in '56 we played Chesterfield and I was amazed by their young keeper, Gordon Banks.
Fantastic memories. Mine don't stretch back that far but my dad, God rest his soul, loved going to the youth games and would have been at those matches you mention.

Mr. MUJAC

A few were at the Cliff too!

A few of the crowds were over 35,000...two big crowds v Leeds in 1993 also.

Sea-Cow

United players are the most over hyped due to popularity of the club. We all know the best players are generally at City and Chelsea
Yeah, great point here mate. That's why there is almost no former United youth players in the world's top leagues. In fact, I can't think of one. Most of these current players should probably be looking at other careers.

mavradal

It does but it's UK exclusive.
Really don't know what they're thinking by making them UK exclusive, it's not like they sold the rights to other broadcasting companiea outside UK for academy and reserves matches.

Way to piss on foreign MUTV subscribers.

Mr. MUJAC

The attendance was 2,252 last night. Not great but over double what the next best game had.

Hopefully a bigger crowd at Old Trafford for the 6th Round game v Leicester City.

lysglimt

Scout
There are 2 things that really impress me about this United-side.

1) That they look really solid as a team - whereas many previous United sides in the FA Youth Cup had bigger names than the results they actually produced on the pitch. United have been poor in the FA Youth Cup for many seasons and often gone out against teams we really should have beaten. This side look capable of beating anyone and work together as a unit.

2) The age of the players - a lot of the players in the squad against Everton and Reading can still feature next year (Tom Wooster, Tyler Fredricson, Kobbie Mainoo, Sam Murray, Sam Mather, Dan Gore, Sonny Aljofree, Ethan Ennis, Maxi Oyedele, Louis Jackson and Manni Norkett)

So we really should have a strong team for next seasons Youth Cup as well

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
The attendance was 2,252 last night. Not great but over double what the next best game had.

Hopefully a bigger crowd at Old Trafford for the 6th Round game v Leicester City.
How are Leicester kids? Who will be favourite?

Mr. MUJAC

How are Leicester kids? Who will be favourite?
I've not seen Leicester play this season so I don't know.

They are 4th in their U/18 league with two games in hand which if they win would take them top of the table.

They haven't lost in about 10-12 games.

Given that, they must be one of the best teams in the league and not to be under-estimated.

This will be a really tough game.

Beaucoup

They are 4th in their U/18 league with two games in hand which if they win would take them top of the table.

Given that, they must be one of the best teams in the league and not to be under-estimated.

Ex Utd academy player Chris Popov is joint 3rd top scorer in the league.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.

I see. Thanks for the info!

Bertie Wooster

Ex Utd academy player Chris Popov is joint 3rd top scorer in the league.
Hadn't noticed that. That's interesting / slightly frustrating.

I'd read a bit about him as he came through our youth system and played for Wales at youth levels. I was looking forward to getting to see him at U18 level for us so was disappointed to see him leave. It'll be interesting to maybe get to see him in a game, but a shame he'll be playing against us.

Mr. MUJAC

Hadn't noticed that. That's interesting / slightly frustrating.

I'd read a bit about him as he came through our youth system and played for Wales at youth levels. I was looking forward to getting to see him at U18 level for us so was disappointed to see him leave. It'll be interesting to maybe get to see him in a game, but a shame he'll be playing against us.
It's one of those things I've seen happen for 40+ years now. With wingers it's even more difficult because of the role they play. More than any other position you tend to get incredibly inconsistent performances. On their day they are brilliant...on others they are rarely in the game...and decision making (consistency) is a real problem.

With the likes of Berry, Mather, Sharpe and others coming through, I guess the coaches saw things that fans won't know about.

I hope he has a great career, but it's incredibly rare that we let a player go and he turns out to be exceptional. I can't think of any player since David Platt that we allowed to leave before reaching the first team who turned out to be good enough.

Mickson

It's one of those things I've seen happen for 40+ years now. With wingers it's even more difficult because of the role they play. More than any other position you tend to get incredibly inconsistent performances. On their day they are brilliant...on others they are rarely in the game...and decision making (consistency) is a real problem.

With the likes of Berry, Mather, Sharpe and others coming through, I guess the coaches saw things that fans won't know about.

I hope he has a great career, but it's incredibly rare that we let a player go and he turns out to be exceptional. I can't think of any player since David Platt that we allowed to leave before reaching the first team who turned out to be good enough.
Very true. Maybe Michael Keane, Ryan Shawcross, and Dwight McNeil could've played a part but I can't remember any obvious mistake. That's great cred to the coaching staff.

Bertie Wooster

Yeah, that's all true.

I hadn't realised we'd let him go though. From what I read, I thought we'd offered him a new youth deal but he'd opted to join Leicester instead. Which seemed a shame at the time as he seemed to be one of those being talked about at his age group.