FA Youth Cup - Chelsea vs Manchester United

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think this is a bit of wishful thinking. A league 2 team can beat a PL team on a given day. In the u18 league last season City got 42 points and United 23. There's a gulf of difference in quality in my opinion when you look at the squads. That's not to say that United aren't better at bringing through the few talented ones in their squad into their own first team but I do think that United youth watchers over rate quite heavily a lot of our youngsters.

If you look at the number of City and Chelsea players that feature for England, just from this group of players that featured in this FA Youth Cup campaign both sides have hoarded the best domestic players

Chelsea

Livramento
Lawrence
Colwill
Bate
Peart-Harris
Anjorin
Humphreys
Simons
Vale
Soonsup-Bell

City

Harwood-Bellis
Egan-Riley
Luke Mbete-Tabu
Doyle
Delap
McAtee
Rogers
Knight
Robertson

Sadly these days its a big achievement if United can get 2 or 3 from a group in the England set-up. I do think it's a bit naive to put the domination of these two sides simply down to coaching.
I think the gap is gonna close significantly in the coming seasons. David Gill neglected the academy for too long and it wasn't until Ed Woodward replaced him that we got the ball rolling and revamped the structure and made the correct appointments in key roles. But I fully believe under our current recruitment drive at youth level we will match the likes of City and Chelsea in the very near future.

The coaching at United under Neil Ryan is too basic IMO and from my observation of watching the lads play whether that be on TV or attending the game (I live 15 mins away) he doesn't seem to have a good enough understanding of transitioning play against a organised press or closing the space via enforcing pressure. And I believe when it comes to Semi-finals etc we will be found wanting like we saw against Chelsea who pressed high and Ryan predictably had no clue on how to get the team to transition out of the press which isolated our forwards. The difference between Ryan and Mckenna is day and night from a technical/tactical pov.

Sea-Cow

Definitely but I'm sure it's easier to blood youngsters in a side like ours than a team vying for the league every season.
Exactly, there is more margin of error here. But even our youngsters get ripped!

Having said that, I am surprised that Foden hasn't played more of a role at City. I know he is getting more minutes each year, but it seems like his progress has been glacial. And he is brilliant!