top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Tuesday 21 January 19:00 GMT
Carrow Road
Live on MUTV 18:30 GMT

Last edited:

khoazany

I think Stanley will start on the right in place of Wellens. The rest should be unchanged.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Going by eligibility criteria
Only those players between the age of 15 and 18 on 31 August of the current season are eligible to take part.

Greenwood, Garner, Levitt, Brandon Williams are all eligible to play, Gomes missed by 1 day.

Shows how young our squad is, 2 of them are regular first team players .

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Going by eligibility criteria
Only those players between the age of 15 and 18 on 31 August of the current season are eligible to take part.

Greenwood, Garner, Levitt, Brandon Williams are all eligible to play, Gomes missed by 1 day.

Shows how young our squad is, 2 of them are regular first team players .
That isn't the rule, it is must not have reached 18 by 31st of August. It is the same rules as the u18s league. Only Greenwood is eligible.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That isn't the rule, it is must not have reached 18 by 31st of August. It is the same rules as the u18s league. Only Greenwood is eligible.
Thanks. Not sure if they reported it wrong or I read it wrong.

top1whoisman

Scout
Manchester United Under-18s lead coach Neil Ryan is eagerly anticipating tonight's return to action in the FA Youth Cup.

The Reds face Norwich City's youngsters at Carrow Road in a 19:00 GMT kick-off, which will be shown live on MUTV.
The victors in the fourth-round tie will meet Leeds United at home in the next stage of the competition.

United defeated Lincoln City 2-0 in the previous round, with Dutch striker Dillon Hoogewerf scoring both goals.

“It's a historic trophy for us as an Academy, and as a club with the youth system,” Ryan told us.

“I think, regardless of what you try to do to protect the boys from that, at times, the hype that comes with it is hard to hide from. It becomes a big thing for them - obviously the families, all the club staff and first-team staff come to watch, and some of them can build it up in their heads a bit too much. But that's the whole process of it.

“It's what you want. You want them to get used to big ties and the big fixtures and go and perform on the night, that's the important thing.

“We want to get them in as many stadiums and play in these games under the floodlights. It's a cup tie, anything can happen. Regardless of what their form is in the league, a lot of players in the Under-23s go back to play in the youth teams. You've seen the same with us, as a couple of players have done that. It's exciting to play in a league ground.

“Hopefully, it will be a decent-sized crowd and we just want to put our boys in, not a pressured environment, but take them out of their comfort zone and put them in that cup-tie feeling and see how the boys perform under that pressure.”
In terms of the squad, it is possible some of those who have gained Under-23s experience will be involved on the night, and the injury situation is improving.

“We'll see where we are at with that,” he added. “With young players that are pushing on to the Under-23s, most top clubs bring back their best players. One player we could have had would be Mason Greenwood but I'm pretty sure he'll be ruled out due to being with the first-team squad!

“All the rest are up for consideration for the team. The experience that they've got at Under-23s level should hold them in good stead as a number of our boys have gone up and played up there.

“We've had quite a few boys out with long-term injuries which has been really frustrating for them. But we've got a couple coming back now who have started non-contact training. They will go into full-contact training to build up their fitness levels over a period of time and get back into the games programme.

“So the numbers become bigger again with the squad. Everyone is challenging for a position to play but we still have a few players out. We'll still have to be patient with them but it's part and parcel of being a footballer but the signs are encouraging with the boys coming back.”

top1whoisman

Scout
4th round results from elsewhere:

West Brom
4-1 Middlesbrough
Wigan 2-0 Tottenham
Millwall 3-1 Fleetwood
Derby 1-2 Brighton
Arsenal
1-0 Southampton
Leeds 2(5)-2(4) Sheffield Wednesday (pens)
Bournemouth 1-0 Cardiff
Man City 2-1 Aston Villa
Birmingham 2-1 Barnsley
Sheffield United 1-2 Fulham
Chelsea
5-0 Bradford
Wolverhampton 2-1 Crystal Palace
Mansfield 0-3 Burnley
Preston
2-0 Oxford
Blackburn 1-0 Charlton

top1whoisman

Scout
5th round draw:

Bournemouth vs Millwall
Arsenal vs Brighton
Blackburn vs Preston
Wigan vs Birmingham
United vs Leeds
Chelsea vs Wolves
Burnley vs West Brom
Man City vs Fulham

Ties to be played between February 4th and 8th.

Last edited:

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
It's easier to get info out of Albania or North Korea than get squad news from Manchester United when it comes to youth football, so providing everybody is fit i'd go with this lineup tonight:

Mastny
Bejger Fish Mengi Devine
McCann
Mejbri Helm
Stanley Hoogewerf Sotona

Mee, Hughes/Neville, Hockenhull, Wellens, Shoretire, Forson, Svidersky/Iqbal on the bench​

Last edited:

Thiagoal

We seem to have a decent defence and midfield on paper but I think the attack hasn't got the x-factor to take us much further in the competition this year.

top1whoisman

Scout
We seem to have a decent defence and midfield on paper but I think the attack hasn't got the x-factor to take us much further in the competition this year.
Hopefully Mejia is match fit soon (if we progress tonight).

Mickson

Hopefully Mejia is match fit soon (if we progress tonight).
Mejia has played 42 minutes of U18 football in England. Don't think he will make that big a difference this season. Pretty unfair to expect that too!

I agree with @Thiagoal . I'm more excited by Forson, Shoretire, maybe Iqbal and a couple of others. I think Forson in particular has looked excellent the little I've seen of him.

top1whoisman

Scout
Mejia has played 42 minutes of U18 football in England. Don't think he will make that big a difference this season. Pretty unfair to expect that too!

I agree with @Thiagoal . I'm more excited by Forson, Shoretire, maybe Iqbal and a couple of others. I think Forson in particular has looked excellent the little I've seen of him.
Due to injuries. Think quality-wise he could feature, and judging by his numbers in Zaragoza, make a difference, in the next round. If needed, Hoogewerf can bang in some goals too. And probably Emeran, when fit.

Mickson

Due to injuries. Think quality-wise he could feature, and judging by his numbers in Zaragoza, make a difference, in the next round. If needed, Hoogewerf can bang in some goals too. And probably Emeran, when fit.
Yeah I don't doubt their ability, I just don't think Mejia will come in and bang two against Chelsea. He had some (understandably) difficulties in his first match. Emeran is yet to feature and I'm not convinced at all by Hoogewerf. Maybe Hoogewerf will grow as a player and as a human next season, but he's looking pretty mediocre so far.

top1whoisman

Scout
Nicky Butt:

"Some young kids can be a bit scared of losing and apprehensive and you'll get one or two standout players who'll go out and play their normal game - which end up being the best players.

"So it's a mindset for them. It's a knockout cup game, we have to go out and perform, express ourselves and do what United do."

top1whoisman

Scout
United XI: Mastny; Bejger, Mengi (c), Fish, Devine; McCann, Wellens, Helm; Mejbri, Shoretire, Hoogewerf

Subs: Hockenhull, Mee, Forson, Stanley, Svidersky, Neville, Sotona.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Be interesting to see how Daniel Adshead, who was strongly linked to United before he moved to Norwich City from Rochdale(£300,000) get's on, and Josh Martin who scored a hat-trick in the last round against Newcastle.

Half their team regularly play for the 23s so this is gonna be tough.

top1whoisman

Scout
Nice footwork from Shoretire, started losing balance before he got the shot away. Mejbri passes back to Hoogewerf who should've hit the target there. Nice atmosphere at Carrow Road tonight, good experience for the lads.

lysglimt

Scout
Hoogewerf has been absolutely awful in the first 10 - he should have finished the game already

top1whoisman

Scout
Good press from United which results in Wellens testing the Norwich keeper from a distance.

lysglimt

Scout
Oh dear - Hoofewerf again. It's not just that he is missing - his efforts are AWFUL.

Drz

Mejbri so far looks a cut above everyone else on that pitch technically. For all the good I've heard about Hoogewerf, he has wasteful to say the least after being presented good chances to put us ahead.