Fabinho | Al-Ittihad player

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Because World Cup will end on 15th July and the transfer deadline day this year will be on 9th Aug ? That's less than one month after World Cup to finish the deals. All the clubs will stop negotiation with anyone during this period, except the players not playing in it. It'll get very congested post World Cup.

In 2014 I remember Mourinho finished almost all his important deals with Chelsea prior to World Cup. In the year of World Cup, it matters, especially when it's ever a shorter transfer window this year thanks to FA agreeing on closing the window on day 1 of the season.

After World Cup, we'll have enough time to sing 2 players at best, so we'll need to get 1-2 also prior to it.
No they won’t. The players won’t be joining up with their teams for a while. Negotiations aren’t done by players, they’re done by agents who certainly don’t stop working for a month because the World Cup is on. Deals will be struck, or at the very least require only a few confirmations from the player before being struck, and it’s just a case of signing on the dotted line and performing a medical.

There’s, what, 4 PL clubs that have confirmed signings so far? Are we just to assume they’re all using shits who can’t negotiate for toffee too? Chill out.

2 players at best? What’s this based on?

Son Of Sam

Well it kind of is both reactionary (you're reacting to a transfer made by our rivals and not a particularly worrying one in all honesty) and hyperbolic (you're envisaging the absolute worst scenario imaginable with the whole 'we're going to end up with a team of no-marks because Woody is to slow to get business done).

That said, you need to relax and be patient. The transfer window hasn't even opened yet and already you're flying off the handle. You will never make it through the summer at this rate ;)
You are not well-informed. PL clubs voted that the window must close by August 9th. FIFA rule states summer transfer window must open for 3 months. The summer transfer window opened May 17th in case you didn’t get the memo.

ROFLUTION

I'm not gonna do the "didn't want him anyways" - He'd be the perfect fit for us and it seems like Ed Woodward has been sleeping. Not even expensive in today's prices. Great buy.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Damn. I guess that's our hope of a League Cup dashed...

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You are not well-informed. PL clubs voted that the window must close by August 9th. FIFA rule states summer transfer window must open for 3 months. The summer transfer window opened May 17th in case you didn’t get the memo.
...I know that... I was just testing you.

:nervous:

Son Of Sam

I'm not gonna do the "didn't want him anyways" - He'd be the perfect fit for us and it seems like Ed Woodward has been sleeping. Not even expensive in today's prices. Great buy.
According to the experts here, we are dodging a bullet or we were never in for him. And if you have a contrary opinion to theirs, you are a WUM.

AXVnee7

Until Fred signs for Chelsea or City and the folks here would come out with the usual line “we were never really in for Fred, the media made it up” and we start pursuing Gueye or Mark Noble aggressively.

This is the only football site fans want to taste shit before they know it’s shit. Looking at it from afar or even smelling it from a distance is not enough evidence. It must be tasted before they are sure it’s fecal matter.

We are not serious yet about winning the league title. Serious contenders enter the market quickly and complete all the deals . We already know our deficiencies - what the heck are we waiting for? For £ to appreciate against the €??
I think that is highly unlikely at this point. Fred to us has been reported by some reputable sources. Usually under Mourinho, we usually get the player we want, with probably the exception of Perisic.

It's also worth mentioning that neither City or Chelsea have made any signings of note yet either.

Finally, there's also the possibility that we want to see what unfolds in the WC. It is not unusual for new stars to emerge, and a WC does often change the landscape of the market. If we did all our business early, and then a top player becomes available later- we might regret filling that position in early/spending the budget.

Ban

Or I dont know, crazy, but he has been working on some other transfer.

Or god forbid transferS. Plural.

PoTMS

Annoyingly, all of a sudden their midfield looks nearly as good as their front three this summer. Keita and Fabinho would get into most top teams in the world. Just need to bring in another centre back and a decent keeper in goal and they've got one hell of a team.

Coxy

We need a player like Fred more.

But it’s a good signing for Liverpool and their fans can’t complain about the board not investing in the team. Time for Klopp to start delivering trophies.
Why is it? They’ve not spent as much as others - and were starting from a lower quality squad.

SteveJ

Scout
Emery: "I nearly signed Fabinho".

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Or I dont know, crazy, but he has been working on some other transfer.

Or god forbid transferS. Plural.
Every player that a rival signs is 'perfect' for us. We'd go bankrupt in one window if we thought like that. Luckily we have scouts that do a better job than fans.

El-Manos

Smart signing. Would be a solid signing for any top club. Let’s just hope we get into second gear soon, since we need more reinforcements than Pool and City.

Coxy

Cause he'll finally run out of his excuse of having a bad team and being an underdog.
Excuses? He got a midfield of Milner and Henderson to the champions league final. He doesn’t need to start delivering trophies at all - he’s doing just fine.

el3mel

No they won’t. The players won’t be joining up with their teams for a while. Negotiations aren’t done by players, they’re done by agents who certainly don’t stop working for a month because the World Cup is on. Deals will be struck, or at the very least require only a few confirmations from the player before being struck, and it’s just a case of signing on the dotted line and performing a medical.

There’s, what, 4 PL clubs that have confirmed signings so far? Are we just to assume they’re all using shits who can’t negotiate for toffee too? Chill out.

2 players at best? What’s this based on?
The agents won't work on deals while the players themselves are with their NT and they will surely not call them to ask them about their opinion on getting this transfer done or how much will they want from the new teams while they're playing with their national team. No player will play in WC while his future is getting distracted on the other side. When had you seen a transfer getting done and sealed with a player already playing at the same time of the World Cup ? Only the players who aren't playing in it will be those you can target.

Why are we assuming that our needs = the needs of other clubs so all should work on the same time ? A club like City for example can sign nobody the whole summer and it won't be a problem.

Because it'll be only about 3 weeks before closing the window ? How many players will be able to sign in this period even if we did it as fast as possible, while all the other clubs will enter the market at the same time ? It'll be very congested period at this time and if we didn't get our deals already sealed off, we'll be in a problem.

As I said, we're currently in May so most will believe there's still loads of time so no need to panic, but at one point time will start to run out quickly. If Ed didn't calculate it from now and before the World Cup, we'll have a hell of a job to do in the last 2 weeks before the season starts.

Ban

Excuses? He got a midfield of Milner and Henderson to the champions league final. He doesn’t need to start delivering trophies at all - he’s doing just fine.
Oh ok then. So he's a class B manager then I guess.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Arsenal put in a late bid for Fabinho, according to Sky News.:lol:
Sky News had no idea about the transfer before RMC wrote it and now they knew about a possible offer from Arsenal. Yeah, of course.

Ban

Klopp the only top manager that doesn't really win all that often. Strange how that works.
It's funny. He had a midfield of Milner and Henderson so it was all 'he was underdog anyway no wonder he lost the final.'
But now he's getting some quality players he doesnt have bring in trophies cause top 4 and a CL final is tops.

Zoo

Yes but now he needs to kick on, he is being backed more then his predecessors probably. The last trophy they won was over 6 years ago and Klopp cane with a reputation who would change their fortunes.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
It's funny. He had a midfield of Milner and Henderson so it was all 'he was underdog anyway no wonder he lost the final.'
But now he's getting some quality players he doesnt have bring in trophies cause top 4 and a CL final is tops.
All the top managers get slaughtered when they lose: Conte, Guardiola, Mourinho, Wenger

Klopp gets praised when he loses.

SteveJ

Scout
'Feck's sake...they sign Fabinhioioioio while we're stuck with Failaini and Static. :(

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
All english teams are improving which puts a lot of pressure on managers since even by improving their own team it might not be enough to do better than in the previous year.

I think the next step for Liverpool has to be winning trophies. Not necessarily the Premier League or Champions League but even winning one of the cups or the Europa League would be very important for clubs like Tottenham or Liverpool who need something to show for this improvement. It will bring confidence to the club and make it easier to challenge for the big trophies which is the point of all of this work. Getting top 4 after top 4 isn't good enough and as much as Klopp does a good job if he doesn't win trophies then he'll start getting pressure because of it.

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City
Holy feck that came out of nowhere. When did Liverpool get this efficient?

Gutted he joined them. He would have played backup RB and DM, and been good at both. I know for a fact that most Caftards had him in their teams for this season. I don't know if he turned us down or if we were never in for him (probably the latter), but you can't deny he really adds steel to their defence. VVD, Keita, Fabino and a definite GK signing. Klopp is addressing the right areas. I hope we do, too.
They need 2 actually, since neither goalkeeper is good enough to play for him. As for the 2 in question which they need, I would suggest Oblak as a first choice signing and Leno has a second choice signing. Sure it would cost well over £100+ million in total, but it is something they can afford (even if they keep Salah) and more importantly (as De Gea has shown with United) it goes a long way to shore up their defence.

What next? Neymar/Bale to City?
Would love to have one (or even both) under certain circumstances. But in terms of Wingers that City should sign, I would personally prefer Hazard and Salah instead. Firstly because they are among the best in the league and secondly because it helps weaken 2 of our potential (on paper) title rivals, as well as make
it less likely that Liverpool will knock us out of the CL of course...

They'll challenge City and most probably win the league.
Not unless they improve their defence, half of wholm are quite frankly (as the CL Final and many other games of the previous season have shown) not good enough to play for them.

A player I rate but as a DM, one of the few positions we are well set for. Matic is Jose's No1 and I doubt he'd want a £40m player as cover. Yes he can play RB but Valenica is good enough there unless you're finding a specilaist RB in the elite bracket.
So who is going to going to cover for Matic when he is either injured or fatigued now that Carrick has retired? Likewise considering the way transfer fees have gone, £40 million these days seems to be going rate of a Top 6 "Squad" Player (1)

Note

(1) Even under Jose's United or at least not too far off that figure. For example Lindelöf cost £30 million, Mkhitaryan cost £26 million and Bailly (who are sometimes been treated as such) cost £30 million. So him spending £40 million on such a player does not seem unrealistic to me.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Alright, we're not signing the Mark Noble's of this world.

Coxy

Yes but now he needs to kick on, he is being backed more then his predecessors probably. The last trophy they won was over 6 years ago and Klopp cane with a reputation who would change their fortunes.
I agree he needs to kick on. However I would argue someone who gets them to the final of the champions league is ‘changing their fortune’.

I get the Liverpool hate - I have a massive soft spot for Forest too so I have extra reason to hate them - but christ is everyone OTT on here.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
feck them. But if I'm being honest, they're transfer business under Klopp has been pretty fecking good. Just like a lot of City's has been. Ours has probably been the worst transfer business over the past 5 years that I've ever seen at any club. Hopefully that improves this summer, because even the last 2 under Mourinho havent really been great.

Fabinho wouldve been perfect for us last summer and still now wouldve been a very good signing with him being quality in midfield (matic isnt the youngest anyway) or at right back. Naby Keita wouldve been perfect for us. Sadie Mane wouldve been perfect for us. Salah I understand because of Mourinhos style, totally not suited, but they got Keita, Mane and Fabinho for pretty cheap tbh. Just wish you'd see us do that at least once in a while! Instead of complaining about a lack of funds when we pay way over the price for any player we go for.

Anyway. With him and Keita coming in and you'd be amazed if they didnt get a goalkeeper, theyll definitely be hugely improved next season. Just means we need to get our shit together and have a big window and really see improved performances.

Coxy

All english teams are improving which puts a lot of pressure on managers since even by improving their own team it might not be enough to do better than in the previous year.

I think the next step for Liverpool has to be winning trophies. Not necessarily the Premier League or Champions League but even winning one of the cups or the Europa League would be very important for clubs like Tottenham or Liverpool who need something to show for this improvement. It will bring confidence to the club and make it easier to challenge for the big trophies which is the point of all of this work. Getting top 4 after top 4 isn't good enough and as much as Klopp does a good job if he doesn't win trophies then he'll start getting pressure because of it.
Good post, and I mostly agree.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Not unless they improve their defence, half of wholm are quite frankly (as the CL Final and many other games of the previous season have shown) not good enough to play for them.
They looked good in the CL final and they've looked ok since Van Dijk signed. They definitely need a new goalkeeper but I think it would be a smart move to trust in players like Trent and Robertson. Lovren could use an upgrade, not sure how Matip has looked for Liverpool.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I agree he needs to kick on. However I would argue someone who gets them to the final of the champions league is ‘changing their fortune’.

I get the Liverpool hate - I have a massive soft spot for Forest too so I have extra reason to hate them - but christ is everyone OTT on here.
Liverpool's last champions league final definitely changed their fortunes. 1 league cup in 11 years.