Fabinho (Liverpool)

Red4Life_#7

Fabinho was a player we were heavily linked with and I remember an interview where he is we were a great team, that he would play for.

Liverpool signed him in the end.

My question... (I wanted to ask it in the old thread but I was instructed to create a new one) I haven't seen a lot of him for Liverpool, only the matches when we played them. Have we missed out on another top player? Has he been preforming? or were we right not to sign him?

Skills

Snitch
We signed Matic instead of him, because the managers always right.

Who we now need to replace.

tomaldinho1

Put it this way, they signed him & Alisson and then they pretty much played every game they were fit and they won the CL, next season the PL.

People talk about VVD as if he was the only difference but it was that last window which elevated them to the next level.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
With Klopp, sometimes it's hard to know if the player is that good by himself or if Klopp makes him reach that level.
I've always liked Fabinho at Monaco but I never thought he'd improve like that

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I saw him in the CL a few times with Monaco and without doing anything outstanding (compared to Bakayoko, Mbappe, etc) he would always somehow manage to stand out. Chelsea went for the wrong midfielder.

His signing was so out of the blue and secretive yet it gave me an unexplained excitement. Seeing him move to CB and effectively becoming top three in that position already in the PL I don't think anyone saw coming. Seems like he has no ceiling regardless of how good we think he already is.

Trequarista10

He's very good. Would have been a good signing, but there are alot of players in that position who would have been good signings. We signed Matic, which was okay, but surely the plan should have been to sign Matic and then within a year or two sign a younger alternative/replavement. But we didn't, as Ole seemed to be happy with the high energy midfielders we have instead and doesn't want to play with a holding midfielder. Demonstrates our lack of consistency and planning when it comes to transfers, rather than Fabinho himself individually being someone we "missed out on". The sooner we get a director of football who can work with the board, scouting department and manager the better.

PoTMS

Of course there were a few geniuses on RedCafe that thought he wasn't good enough for a piss poor Manchester United side. Just like Mane, Shaqiri, Otamendi, Gundogan, etc. You see the same thing being said about Pochettino now by same geniuses.

RUCK4444

Fabinho was a player we were heavily linked with and I remember an interview where he is we were a great team, that he would play for.

My question... (I wanted to ask it in the old thread but I was instructed to create a new one) I haven't seen a lot of him for Liverpool, only the matches when we played them. Have we missed out on another top player? Has he been preforming? or were we right not to sign him?
We should have signed him, yes. Top player in his preferred position and looks one of the best defenders in the league since he's been forced into CB.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Extremely annoying how seamlessly he has replaced Van Dijk for them.
It's such a shame he has such unreliable, fitness-wise, partners to work with (Gomez, Matip, even Alisson behind him). Will probably have a YTS apprentice for the next few weeks without breaking a stride.

PoTMS

It's such a shame he has such unreliable, fitness-wise, partners to work with (Gomez, Matip, even Alisson behind him). Will probably have a YTS apprentice for the next few weeks without breaking a stride.
It really is such a shame.

Steve Bruce

Of course there were a few geniuses on RedCafe that thought he wasn't good enough for a piss poor Manchester United side. Just like Mane, Shaqiri, Otamendi, Gundogan, etc. You see the same thing being said about Pochettino now by same geniuses.
Did you seriously include shaqiri, he's a wooden one & glad he never came to old Trafford.

Mane & Gundeguan(sp) fair enough, we missed the boat their.

Otamendi, not fussed on missing out here

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

He was excellent at Monaco and has been even better at Liverpool

Cnuts

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I wanted to sign him for RB at the time because he could play multiple positions. I never thought he’d become one of the best around thought. Which he is by the way.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Yes, he was an absolute no brainer of a transfer that we fecked up on in pursuit of other players (think it was Matic). It was really annoying to have that + Mkhitaryan over Mane in our decision making.

meamth

We weren't signing players based on potential during that time, it was all Mourinho's preferred players.

Since Ole came in, we changed the transfer approach of signing money ball players, like Liverpool.

GMoore23

Put it this way, they signed him & Alisson and then they pretty much played every game they were fit and they won the CL, next season the PL.

People talk about VVD as if he was the only difference but it was that last window which elevated them to the next level.
Fabinho took an age to bed in. He was a bench player for pool for a good few months before Klopp trusted him.