Facts about football that shouldn't be true - but are

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
When Thomas Muller missed his penalty in the shoot out v Italy in the Euro 2016 QF, it was the first shoot out penalty missed by a German in a major tournament in 34 years, a run that included 5 penalty shoot out victories and 25 consecutive successful penalties (the last previous miss was Uli Stielike v France, 1982 (yes, Germany still won that one)).

Having not missed a single shoot out penalty in 34 years, Germany went on to miss 3 penalties in that one shoot out v Italy.

And still won.
That one was madness

chomsky89

Nigeria has won the under-17 World Cup 5 times and finished second three times as well in only 12 attempts. By far the most successful nation in that tournament. Brazil is number two, with their 17 attempts resulting in 4wins/6finals.

If they ever brought along anyone too old or not I don't know, but it is a bit suspect to me that they reach the final more often than not in a sample size of 12.
Yes, I know they have got very many to choose from but still, they are not a football powerhouse.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Fans often gloat about how absolutely massive their club is and how their club is the biggest in the world, and subsequently the club is supported by fans all over the world, and then complain when fans from all over the world come to watch their massive club play, nicknaming them 'tourists' derogatively, when that is exactly, literally what they are.
Only two sets of fans do this. United‘s and Real‘s. Real‘s are correct in doing so.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
When Thomas Muller missed his penalty in the shoot out v Italy in the Euro 2016 QF, it was the first shoot out penalty missed by a German in a major tournament in 34 years, a run that included 5 penalty shoot out victories and 25 consecutive successful penalties (the last previous miss was Uli Stielike v France, 1982 (yes, Germany still won that one)).

Having not missed a single shoot out penalty in 34 years, Germany went on to miss 3 penalties in that one shoot out v Italy.

And still won.
That’s the one with the legendary Zaza penalty yes?

JackRowley

I believe one team has won PL and I think it’s the only time a team actually would have lost it under the old two pints for a win. Blackburn in 1994/95 would have been second on goal difference.

thisisnottaken1

Ronaldinho stopped playing in Europe when he was 30.
I believe one team has won PL and I think it’s the only time a team actually would have lost it under the old two pints for a win. Blackburn in 1994/95 would have been second on goal difference.
Sir Alex Ferguson for us and Kenny Dalglish for Blackburn are the only managers from the British isles to have won the premier league.

chomsky89

Paulo Diogo lost one of his fingers in a game because he decided to play with his wedding ring on.

Jumped on the metal fence celebrating a goal, did not realize the ring got stuck, and jumped down.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Paulo Diogo lost one of his fingers in a game because he decided to play with his wedding ring on.

Jumped on the metal fence celebrating a goal, did not realize the ring got stuck, and jumped down.
I was sure the same thing happened to a goalie who caugh his wedding ring in the hooks that held the nets onto the crossbar. Just googled it - Nery Pumpido, former Argentinian international 'keeper.

It's unclear if he actually did or not. Wikipedia says he almost lost his finger, other reports say he did but it was sewn back on again. The year is unclear too.

https://uni-watch.com/the-curious-case-of-nery-pumpido/

1990 is the first World Cup I properly remember. Whatever the truth of the incident, I recall it being mentioned during the tournament as something that had previously happened to him.

Last edited:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Strange to think Peter Shilton began his career the same year England won the World Cup and retired a year before Cantona did.

thisisnottaken1

This is the first season since 1930-31 in which one of Stanley Matthews, Peter Shilton, and Gianluigi Buffon has not made an appearance.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Nigeria has won the under-17 World Cup 5 times and finished second three times as well in only 12 attempts. By far the most successful nation in that tournament. Brazil is number two, with their 17 attempts resulting in 4wins/6finals.

If they ever brought along anyone too old or not I don't know, but it is a bit suspect to me that they reach the final more often than not in a sample size of 12.
Yes, I know they have got very many to choose from but still, they are not a football powerhouse.
I mean, you say Nigeria aren't a football powerhouse, but football is their national sport. And more importantly it's the sport that the kids play growing up.

List of countries by population and their national sports (or "the sports the kids play")

1. China - Various (Table Tennis, Badminton, etc)
2. India - Cricket
3. USA - Various.
4. Indonesia - Badminton
5. Pakistan - Cricket, Hockey , Soccer
6. Nigeria - Soccer

I can kind of believe that Indonesia can field very strong teams at U17 level.

Plus like you said maybe they're a bit older sometimes

chomsky89

Zlatan has more career assists than Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, Iniesta and Ronaldinho.

And if we take away the 4 seasons in Ligue 1 + MLS stats, he still has more assists than Zidane.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
Zlatan has more career assists than Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, Iniesta and Ronaldinho.

And if we take away the 4 seasons in Ligue 1 + MLS stats, he still has more assists than Zidane.
Is that really surprising?

When you play closer to the goal, the chance of your pass resulting in a shot from the receiver is bigger. Zlatan was especially technical for a CF(much more than Lampard or Gerrard), so that is even less surprising. Also, he probably has more than twice as many game minutes as Ronaldinho.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

When you play closer to the goal, the chance of your pass resulting in a shot from the receiver is bigger. Zlatan was especially technical for a CF(much more than Lampard or Gerrard), so that is even less surprising. Also, he probably has more than twice as many game minutes as Ronaldinho.
It shows that he played less selfish than his egomaniac personality would suggest, so in that way it is surprising.

chomsky89

When you play closer to the goal, the chance of your pass resulting in a shot from the receiver is bigger.
The average assist comes from outside of the box and strikers are 8/10 times not among the top two assist providers after a season. 8 players had more assists than the highest assisting striker last season.
Demba Ba played 100 PL games and had fewer PL assists than David Seaman and another goalkeeper.

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
The average assist comes from outside of the box and strikers are 8/10 times not among the top two assist providers after a season. 8 players had more assists than the highest assisting striker last season.
Demba Ba played 100 PL games and had fewer PL assists than David Seaman and another goalkeeper.
Yeah, but even strikers are out of the box most of the time and, if you're not a poacher in the mold of Inzaghi, you'll have the ball in the edge of the box many times. Despite the stats(I won't check it out, but I'm sure you got them right), conceptually is not that insane to conceive a technical striker who gets the ball more than your average CF, like Ibrahimovic, Henry, Bergkamp, Suárez etc, having more assists than technical midfielders.

chomsky89

conceptually is not that insane to conceive a technical striker who gets the ball more than your average CF, like Ibrahimovic, Henry, Bergkamp, Suárez etc, having more assists than technical midfielders.
Maybe not, but I'm guessing very few would have guessed that assist kings like Lampard(3 times most assists in a PL season) have fewer career assists than Ibra.

Especially considering how little Ibra played for a career that lasted that long. Although Lampard had many injuries he still played a lot more than Ibra did in their recorded careers. 72150 minutes vs 63791 minutes.

Last edited:

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
Maybe not, but I'm guessing very few would have guessed that assist kings like Lampard(3 times most assists in a PL season) have fewer career assists than Ibra.
I was a bit of a prick tbh. I have to get rid of this habit asap.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Ajax is currently without a shred of doubt the worst run and organized club in Europe..

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I mean, you say Nigeria aren't a football powerhouse, but football is their national sport. And more importantly it's the sport that the kids play growing up.
my take would be that they prize winning thise competitions so call up players based on physical development rather than footballing talent. This often results in a man vs boys scenario which would explain their success and why they never come close to it at more senior levels. Happened a lot in Italy with the academy of Inter in particular being especially guilty of this
It shows that he played less selfish than his egomaniac personality would suggest, so in that way it is surprising.
Did you ever watch him play? He was always a playmaker. He had to learn to become a goalscorer, and only really started to score consistently in his mid-20s. Playmaking is what came naturally to him

grahamo

Mark Hughes played 2 games in 1 day in November1987. The 1st a midday kick off for Wales v Czechoslovakia. Then a quick flight to Munich where he was used as a 2nd half sub for Bayern

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Roy Hodgson managed his first game in the same season that Carlo Ancelotti made his debut as a player.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Mark Hughes played 2 games in 1 day in November1987. The 1st a midday kick off for Wales v Czechoslovakia. Then a quick flight to Munich where he was used as a 2nd half sub for Bayern
And they complain about schedules these days!