Facts about football that shouldn't be true - but are

thisisnottaken1

Saidy Janko?

Born and grew up in Switzerland (majority German speaking). played in the infamous 4-0 defeat to MK Dons in the League Cup. He represents The Gambia now, but was playing for Switzerland U21s while at United.
I didn’t even know that he was Swiss nor that he now plays for the Gambia. I remember when he played for us his country was England, I’m pretty sure. I did look up statistics on native languages in Switzerland, and a majority, rather than just a plurality, of people in Switzerland do indeed speak German (over 60% according to the Swiss government website), however I didn’t include it because I did not know that Janko played for Switzerland (and even then, he only played for their under-21s, which doesn’t really count IMO; one wouldn’t really count Jamal Musiala as English even though he played for England up to and including under 21 level because he plays for Germany at senior level) and because of Switzerland’s multilingual nature, with the fact that French and Italian are also official languages, as well as Romansh. In the case of Germany and Austria, German is the sole official language and is spoken by a much wider percentage of the population. According to a 2019 survey of Swiss people, 38% regularly use two languages.

TL;DR: Switzerland, despite being part of the Germanosphere and being a country in which the majority of people (though not a large majority, although by some definitions a supermajority) speak German, wasn’t included because it is also part of the French and Italian speaking worlds, and Swiss children are expected to learn another one of the country’s languages depending on their native one, whereas with German and Austrian children, the only language they will use in regular conversation is German (both dialectal and standard), and will learn foreign languages (especially English) but will not use it in regular conversation. As a Scottish person myself, a lot of this is based on Google Searches and educated guesses, so it might not be entirely accurate.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Didnt he end up joining Celtic?
Yes, we sold him the following summer after that MK Dons game after he had a brief loan at Bolton.

Andy Kellet's name popped up recently, might've even been in this thread. In an unuusal move we took Kellet from Bolton in a loan exchange move for Janko. We'd just loaned out Reece James (not the famous Reece James) to Huddersfield and sold Marnick Vermijl to Sheffield Wednesday. So to facilitate Janko's loan move we asked for a defender from Bolton's reserves to fill a gap in our own reserve squad. They sent us Kellet.

Kelly15

Arsenal were elected into the top division.

For the 1919/20 season, the first season after the First World War, Arsenal were controversially elected in to the first division, despite finishing fifth in the last season before the outbreak of war in the second division. However, they have remained at this level ever since.

Oranges038

Bastian Schweinsteiger is the first, and so far only, German to have ever made an appearance for Manchester United. Marcel Sabitzer is the first, and so far, only Austrian to have ever made an appearance for Manchester United. They are therefore the only two players so far from a majority German-speaking country to have played for Manchester United.

(PS: I do know that German keeper Ron-Robert Zieler was on our books before I started following football; however, he never played for our first team. Similarly, a Finnish player has never played for our first team either, although we had a Finnish guy on our books in the 2005-06 season.)
Markus Neumayr was so close to being the first German.

Had a wee look at some of those nationalities that have played for Utd. 29 Welsh players have made over 1900 appearances for Utd, almost half of them were Ryan Giggs.

Chipper

Adulterer.

For the 1919/20 season, the first season after the First World War, Arsenal were controversially elected in to the first division, despite finishing fifth in the last season before the outbreak of war in the second division. However, they have remained at this level ever since.
Yes, I've heard Spurs fans bring that up from time to time, they thought they were robbed and have sometimes accused Arsenal of bribery etc. Just looking up the details now.

1914/15 season finishes, 20 teams in the league. Two are due to be relegated. These are Chelase who finished 19th and Spurs who finished 20th.

World War 1 breaks out and football is suspended for a few years.

Football is due to restart in 1919/20 and a decision is made that Division One will be expanded to 22 teams. These will be the 18 teams that stayed up in 1914/15, the 2 teams that would have been promoted that season (Derby and Preston) but then they needed to work out who the other 2 teams would be.

Teams were asked to apply and clubs voted for who they thought it should be.

Chelsea won one of the spots so were repreived from being relegated after finishing 19th before the war.

Spurs thought they had a good claim to be reprieved too after finishing 20th as did Barnsley who had finished 3rd in divison 2 pre-war. The other teams who applied were Wolves (4th in div 2), Arsenal (5th in div 2, although they were actually thought to be 6th due to a clerical error at the the time that wasn't even noticed until 1980), Birmingham (6th, but incorrectly awarded 5th in div 2 before the war), Hull, and Forest (7th and 18th in div 2 before the war).

Liverpool's chairman spoke up for Arsenal on the grounds that they'd been a member of the Football League the longest and they won the vote, Spurs get relegated.

Spurs and Barnsley were a bit robbed there. Think I'd have gone Barnsley myself for symmetry after Chelsea's reprieve. Save one club from relegation (Chelsea), promote one extra club (Barnsley). On merit Spurs definitely had a better case than Arsenal by the looks of it.

Last edited:

AndOr Hererra

5 out of the 8 players with the longest bans ever given out for doping bans in football history have played for Manchester United.

Jaap Stam
Rio Ferdinand
Mark Bosnich
Andre Onana
Paul Pogba

Ole'sgunnarwin

Rooney, Van Nistelrooy, Giggs, Keane, Scholes and Ronaldo only started one match together and we lost

Gopher Brown

5 out of the 8 players with the longest bans ever given out for doping bans in football history have played for Manchester United.

Jaap Stam
Rio Ferdinand
Mark Bosnich
Andre Onana
Paul Pogba
Always thought it was somewhat fishy that Jaap Stam got caught shortly after leaving suddenly, all of us like to think Man Utd players aren’t doping/have never doped. My conspiracy theory is that Stam was caught internally and SAF decided to get rid asap.

Pughnichi

Hugo Sanchez scored 38 goals for Real Madrid in the 1989/90 season. All 38 goals were scored with a one-touch, first time finish.
That is unbelievable. this one…above all the others stands out for me!!

just crazy to think there was no instinct for a first touch to set himself to strike.

In a top league as well

IRN-BRUno

CF's that played for England (Ollie Watkins), Wales (Kieffer Moore) and Northern Ireland (Jamie Reid) last week were all born in Torquay.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Memphis Depay paying bail to get the convicted rapist Dani Alves out of prison.

IRELANDUNITED

Liverpool have never won the Premier League title in a season where a global pandemic didn’t bring the world to a standstill.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Saidy Janko?

Born and grew up in Switzerland (majority German speaking). played in the infamous 4-0 defeat to MK Dons in the League Cup. He represents The Gambia now, but was playing for Switzerland U21s while at United.
Owen Hargreaves? Fairly sure he was a fluent German speaker

chomsky89

As of 2012, the most-viewed Premier League game ever on TV was Everton-city in Matchweek 22, in 2003.

Reason: Both teams started with one Chinese player each and the game was shown on a free channel in China.

Last edited:

MDFC Manager

Can they be retrospectively charged and docked points this season? :wenger:

The league attendance record was set by us at City's stadium.
Would be fitting if we were to break this at our new stadium

lysglimt

Scout
Markus Neumayr was so close to being the first German.

Had a wee look at some of those nationalities that have played for Utd. 29 Welsh players have made over 1900 appearances for Utd, almost half of them were Ryan Giggs.
I am no expert - but I am sure there were germans before Markus Neumayr. We can go back several thousand years, and there were german tribes wandering across Europe :)

Oranges038

I am no expert - but I am sure there were germans before Markus Neumayr. We can go back several thousand years, and there were german tribes wandering across Europe :)
I believe the first German to make it to England was Rudolf Hess, he flew to Scotland hoping to get a contract with Hamilton Academicals, but unfortunately for him, he wasn't very good at football and they couldn't take him on, so he ended up being sent to jail instead for being a war criminal.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Bert Trautmann is a City legend, isn't he? It's not like no German players played in Manchester, they just did for the other club there.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
Fans often gloat about how absolutely massive their club is and how their club is the biggest in the world, and subsequently the club is supported by fans all over the world, and then complain when fans from all over the world come to watch their massive club play, nicknaming them 'tourists' derogatively, when that is exactly, literally what they are.

lysglimt

Scout
For those not getting it - I was making fun of the sentence : "Markus Neumayr was so close to being the first German. "

I am sure there were billions of germans before Markus - most of them probably lived in Germany :)

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Fans often gloat about how absolutely massive their club is and how their club is the biggest in the world, and subsequently the club is supported by fans all over the world, and then complain when fans from all over the world come to watch their massive club play, nicknaming them 'tourists' derogatively, when that is exactly, literally what they are.
I don’t think you know the difference between a fact and an opinion. You’re not wrong but you gave an opinion.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
I don’t think you know the difference between a fact and an opinion. You’re not wrong but you gave an opinion.
I've been on this forum and social media long enough to know the above is a stone cold fact. This literally happens.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
For those not getting it - I was making fun of the sentence : "Markus Neumayr was so close to being the first German. "

I am sure there were billions of germans before Markus - most of them probably lived in Germany :)
:lol: good one, I actually didn't get it. The question "who was the first German" however likely breaks the scope of this forum, along the question "what even is a German?" :nervous:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
If Mikkel Arteta, Steve Bruce, and Paolo di Canio were in a 4-way Skype call with Francis Jeffers, he could tell them how it feels to play for a national team. He could also tell them how it feels to score for a national team.
Legend @Cheimoon

Oscar Bonavena

When Thomas Muller missed his penalty in the shoot out v Italy in the Euro 2016 QF, it was the first shoot out penalty missed by a German in a major tournament in 34 years, a run that included 5 penalty shoot out victories and 25 consecutive successful penalties (the last previous miss was Uli Stielike v France, 1982 (yes, Germany still won that one)).

Having not missed a single shoot out penalty in 34 years, Germany went on to miss 3 penalties in that one shoot out v Italy.

And still won.