Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

redIndianDevil

I haven’t watched the match, just watched the highlights. Can his poor passing and shakiness come from still not being accustomed to the wet, cold and windy UK weather? I don’t know what’s the weather like in Italy but it’s quite hard to pass in rain and wind and Manchester has a ridiculous weather.

I’m not defending Onana. He looks like an average shot stopper but he can’t be this bad in passing.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
I do not recall De Gea making so many blunders and looking this incompetent in his first few months. Hopefully, Onana can overcome this phase and turn this around but he doesn't inspire the defence with any confidence and nor the defence him.
What defence?

DLE

Ddg was a kid then, Onana is meant to be an experienced keeper. Also ddg was really good at shot stopping from the off, just iffy and intimidated on crosses from what I remember
Fair point on the age.

DLE

Dave was 21, pretty much a kid for goalkeeping in that era. Onana should be at his peak now.
Agree. That said, defence is broken at the same time he is adjusting to the league and the club. I say he geta more time. The entire team is struggling.

Mwooyo

Lets try Bayindir and ETH need to bench Onana.
By all accounts Bayindir is worse. This guy has a fail comp that makes onana look really good. Even his former clubs fans where happy to see him go...no fuss. Unless he massively improved somehow, we are in for a ride. We actually needed to have kept kovar

Yakuza_devils

By all accounts Bayindir is worse. This guy has a fail comp that makes onana look really good. Even his former clubs fans where happy to see him go...no fuss. Unless he massively improved somehow, we are in for a ride. We actually needed to have kept kovar
In this case, Murtough really have to go first. How can we offload DDG and Henderson and signed 2 worse GKs to sabotage the team?

acnumber9

In his performance thread I was told the reason he takes so long on the ball is to bait the press and then he’d spring us into attack. Galatasaray pressed him and all we got were hopeless humps up the pitch.

Ted Lasso

Awful start for him. I absolutely adore De Gea so that doesn't help.

JB7

Awful start for him. I absolutely adore De Gea so that doesn't help.
You may as well adore King Charles, he's played the same amount of football as De Gea this season.

The fascination our fanbase has with a player who that no club in world football wants is completely fecking insane.

L1nk

In his performance thread I was told the reason he takes so long on the ball is to bait the press and then he’d spring us into attack. Galatasaray pressed him and all we got were hopeless humps up the pitch.
It's because nobody makes themselves available for a pass, the midfield is terrible at linking the play from back to front

RikRuud

I don't think he's a top class goalkeeper and never did. Its not been a good start for him and I have major concerns over Bayindir too.

Troubling times ahead.

lex talionis

No one could have predicted how bad Onana would be. I certainly didn't and I was highly critical of the decision to go all in for Onana over the summer. We had higher priorities than a keeper, but I actually did believe that he would be a steady hand in goal. How wrong I was about that.

But what I was not wrong about is laughing off the idea that a goalkeeper -- whether his name might be Yashin or Buffon -- could somehow transform our attack. A poster here pelted me the other day for laughing off that suggestion while at the same time claiming that Onana would help us structure our attacks better by strengthening our ability to recycle possession.

Far too much was expected of Onana, he felt the pressure and he cracked under that pressure. We should never have expected him to improve our attacks or even merely recycle possession. All we should have demanded of him was to not make the mistakes that De Gea undeniably made last season. Just be a steady keeper who does what is expected of a keeper and keep the expectations of transforming our attacking to a minimum, if not to oblivion. Onana was shit today and he's been incredibly poor since pre-season but he's not as bad a keeper as he's been the last few months since he got lobbed.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
You may as well adore King Charles, he's played the same amount of football as De Gea this season.

The fascination our fanbase has with a player who that no club in world football wants is completely fecking insane.
Such an insane fascination the fanbase has with a player who was their club's player of the year four times in ten years, most recently a year ago, and left a few months ago with a golden glove.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Onana would be like Weghorst for us.

A striker who is good in pressing but couldn’t score a goal

vs

A keeper who is good in ball playing/passing but couldn’t save a shot

PaudieG91

Supports
Liverpool
David Raya made much more sense for United in the summer. I cannot understand how a premier league proven keeper like him was not priority.

JB7

Such an insane fascination the fanbase has with a player who was their club's player of the year four times in ten years, most recently a year ago, and left a few months ago with a golden glove.
Most recently in 2017/18. And he also left last season having cost us our place in Europe and any chance of winning the FA Cup final. Short memories and all that. There's a reason we are now into October and he's still sat at home on his arse despite several top clubs needing new goalkeepers over the summer.

It is an insane fascination because while Onana may or may not be the answer longer term, we know more than enough about De Gea to know that he isn't the answer.

York

We've downgraded our keeper for 50MM. Dave's still available, right?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Most recently in 2017/18. And he also left last season having cost us our place in Europe and any chance of winning the FA Cup final. Short memories and all that. There's a reason we are now into October and he's still sat at home on his arse despite several top clubs needing new goalkeepers over the summer.

It is an insane fascination because while Onana may or may not be the answer longer term, we know more than enough about De Gea to know that he isn't the answer.
He got player's player in 2021-22 - a year ago, like I said. He's got both the fans and the players award 4 times, 3 for the same seasons (13-14, 14-15, 17-18) and once each for different seasons (15-16 and 21-22; Smalling and Ronaldo got the other awards in these two seasons).

Also, others may have different memories and different interpretations of what we saw from him and the team last season, additionally coloured by the privilege of watching the unreal shot-stopping of his peak years.

Ted Lasso

You're one for hyperbole huh. No one can pay his wages.

But let's forget De Gea for a minute and just reflect on how absolutely gobshite Onana has been. He doesn't add anything to our playing out of the back that $5M keepers aren't doing in the league or in Europe. Complete waste of money that ought to have been spent elsewhere.

Pintu

He is bad the moment, but we’ve seen De Gea give Pool a historic 7-0… Onana might turn out to be the wrong choice, but we certainly improved on the clown of the last few years.

Fabio Rochemback

De Gea had to go. Onana may very well not be the answer but that doesn't change this fact. It's like saying we should have kept Weghorst if Hojlund flops.

U.N.C.L.E

This club continues to be a graveyard for about 90% of our transfers.

How do you get a mediocre player at United?

Easy - buy a good one and they become shit as soon as they pull on the jersey

Devil77

It’s just a Frankenstein team, a goalkeeper with those strengths needs a clever defence infront of him, unfortunately for him, we haven’t had that for about 15 years now
No more excuses. We said the same about DDG. What makes a good keeper is also his/hers ability to organise the defence (and stop a shot now and then).

Hughie77

Didn't need a new keeper this season? No other club went in for Onana as far as I know.. the priority was to get a goal scorer on not a up and coming one, Mount wasn't needed Imo either so the Money for him and the Keeper would have been £100 million ..there's a chance for a top striker there with Hojlund... then next season change keeper.... Onana may sort himself out??

Saf had problems with Keepers after Big Pete.. then settled with Edwin.. then DDG... imo Onana isn't and hasn't been a good keeper at all..

Oranges038

But let's forget De Gea for a minute and just reflect on how absolutely gobshite Onana has been. He doesn't add anything to our playing out of the back that $5M keepers aren't doing in the league or in Europe. Complete waste of money that ought to have been spent elsewhere.
More a case of nobody wanting to, because he ain't worth it.

RedChisel

Like most of our recent signings he has turned to shit as soon as he has pulled on the cursed shirt.

Savlehest

David Raya made much more sense for United in the summer. I cannot understand how a premier league proven keeper like him was not priority.
Couldn’t agree more. I thought Onana would be better, but Raya would have been cheaper and had proved himself. We need stability not that kind of crazy passes, when we already got Fernandes. It’s just too many easy ball lost. A long and sad time incoming.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
In this case, Murtough really have to go first. How can we offload DDG and Henderson and signed 2 worse GKs to sabotage the team?
Spot on. The whole purpose of getting rid of DDG and signing Onana was his distribution skills would allow us to play out from the back.
But first and foremost he is supposed to be a GK who's primary job is to stop goals.
Ok. Lets give him a bit more time.
Personally I quite liked Henderson.
But as of today, the whole goalkeeping situation is a total mess.

Swordsman

Didn't need a new keeper this season? No other club went in for Onana as far as I know.. the priority was to get a goal scorer on not a up and coming one, Mount wasn't needed Imo either so the Money for him and the Keeper would have been £100 million ..there's a chance for a top striker there with Hojlund... then next season change keeper.... Onana may sort himself out??

Saf had problems with Keepers after Big Pete.. then settled with Edwin.. then DDG... imo Onana isn't and hasn't been a good keeper at all..
he didn't play that bad when he was with inter or was it because inter milan defense was rock solid in front of him.

Norfolk Enchants

I honestly don't know what the answer is with him right now. Does Ten Hag keep putting him into the team and pray that he can play his way into form? Or drop him and potentially kill what little confidence he had left? By the sounds of it, Ten Hag is intending to stick with him for now but if he makes another howler on the weekend, surely it gets to the stage where ETH HAS to bench him? Now in fairness to Onana, the whole defence is looking shakier than an alcoholic that hasn't had a drink in days but I do think that his mistakes mean that those playing in front of him have ZERO faith in him whatsoever at the moment and that's a terrible thing. It's telling how low on confidence that he is that his real strength, distribution, has even left him right now and he's just hoofing the ball up field to get rid of it.

I understand that it was time to move on from de Gea but I'm not sure Onana was the right man....I don't want to write him off completely but it's going to be very difficult for him.

Bobade

No one can pay his wages? What wages? This isn't like when a player is mid contract and the buying club needs to cover the amount of his current contract to attract the player.

The guy is literally out of contract and, if he isn't willing to accept the offers that presumably are being made, then that's on him. Clearly nobody wants him at the level of pay he is demanding, and there's a reason for that.

I don't even understand what De Gea has to do with the Onana conversation anyway, to be honest. Whether he is better than Onana or not is pretty moot as surely no one wanted us to offer Dave a new contract? I could understand the comparisons had we sold Dave in favour of Onana.

Mwooyo

Nah, fans saying we should have kept de gea have selective amnesia. We did the right thing but maybe got the wrong player. Even guardiola, klopp and arteta immediately replaced the GK at the first opportunity. For mancity, they replaced the england number one, got a worse shotstopper dude Barca but then fixed the error by going back and signing the right GK. United made the right decision to move on from de gea 100 percent. The real money we wasted was the 55m on mount...and not paying for a loan for raya or sanchez from Brighton. Instead we paid money for Bayindir. Thats our real problem

Josep Dowling

Spot on. The whole purpose of getting rid of DDG and signing Onana was his distribution skills would allow us to play out from the back.
But first and foremost he is supposed to be a GK who's primary job is to stop goals.
Ok. Lets give him a bit more time.
Personally I quite liked Henderson.
But as of today, the whole goalkeeping situation is a total mess.
We signed a goalkeeper who also needs defenders who can play out from the back. Shaw and Martinez are out injured and so was Varane . We’re gone back to defenders who now cannot play out from the back or defend so it’s a double whammy.

We cannot expect to play out from the back with no natural LB, Lindelof and Dalot as regular starters. That is making Onana look far worse.

Onana has made some big individual errors but his distribution is meant to be a strength. Yet when he comes to United that’s also an issue.