g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Being chipped from half way during pre-season didn't help his confidence either.
Yes, but the thing is that he's supposed to be above that. As per his profile, if you will. One of the big selling points was his mentality. He fecks up now and then (as all keepers do to varying degrees), but he doesn't let it get to him. *

If some of the mistakes he's been making (and it would be absurd to explain these away - he clearly should have done better on several occasions, system issues notwithstanding) are down to him being a bit rattled, not quite comfortable, whatever...that's worrying. Because - again - mentality was always one of his major selling points. He shouldn't be rattled. Being able to step up and perform under immense scrutiny should be bread and butter for him - if it ain't, why did we spend that much money on him?

It's early days and he has obvious qualities that could serve us very well once - hopefully - we start performing close to the level we're supposed to be at. But the idea that he's making basic mistakes because...it's a confidence issue, well: it doesn't sit well with me. Because that was supposed to be one issue he didn't have - and that seemed like a reason to pay that much money for him at the time.

* That has always been a trait of great keepers.

RedDevil@84

He is the Bailly of keepers. He can be good occasionally and shock you in other moments.

Diego_Milito

Supports
FC Internazionale
I can understand why you'd feel disappointed in Onana.
I'd be livid too, in your position.
Just, in my opinion, don't turn him into a scapegoat.
He is a brilliant goalkeeper, as hard as it might be difficult for you to believe right now.

The United

The exception to prove the rule?
Keepers who play as sweepers or last defenders require more agility and other athletic abilities, and I would think those would be at their peak around 30. Even in pure goalkeeping ability, shorter keepers seem to lose their ability sooner than the taller ones because they rely more on their agility, which is going down rapidly after 30. Onana would probably fall into that category. Or suppose to be.

He just seems to lack a lot of basics, and he is already 27. I really doubt his peak age matters much at this point because we probably won't see much difference in terms of shot stopping, catching football, or whatever you know those keepers do.

And if it is mental issue, it won't probably fix at whatever age if he keeps making weird mistake or judgement every other game.

Last edited:

dinostar77

Simple fact is a successful Utd keeper need to be a great shot stopper. Schmeichel, Van Der Sar, De Gea all were. Onana isnt.

But its only been a few months, lets see how he is towards end of season.

Personally i dont give two hoots about keepers playing out from the back, i care more about clean sheets. Jan Oblak is my type of keeper.

Donut

Looks like he’ll go down as ETH’s worst buy, and he bought some proper shite.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Simple fact is a successful Utd keeper need to be a great shot stopper. Schmeichel, Van Der Sar, De Gea all were. Onana isnt.

Personally i dont give two hoots about keepers playing out from the back, i care more about clean sheets. Jan Oblak is my type of keeper.
Agreed. Those salivating about the playing out from the back thing didn't seem to take this into consideration. When we signed him, I heard the host of a prominent United podcast say "next year we will finally have a keeper who gets assists".

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC

You’re associating your successes back in the day with the rigid can’t leave their line or make a decent pass kind of keepers who got away with being shit in every aspect other than making reaction saves from behind a packed low block defence back in the day.

You’ve slept through the last decade haven’t you?
It must be a shock to you to find that DeGea, still youngish for a keeper and still possessing the limited speciality skill that once kept him gainfully employed, is walking around with a sandwich board on that says ‘good stopper free to good home’.
And he gets sympathy aplenty but he can’t get a taker because the world’s moved on and he can’t cut the mustard in the modern game.

You need to watch lower league football mate. The lower you get the more teams have keepers who still can’t distribute / command their area / get off their line etc.
I should know, I’m an Alport supporter.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

I am like you. I care for clean sheets and with Onana you can't use that "it is only few months" excuse. He is 27. He was never good in shot stopping and he surely will not, all of sudden, become good at that.
He is what he is. Gk who is not good in shot stopping or claiming crosses/controlling his area. He is world class with the ball and that ability masks his other abilities.

It is amazing how fans were so blinded about his playing skills that they didn't notice how poor he is in his main job; saving bloody shots.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

This is a clip about his best saves. Even here you can see how dodgy his style is. Use of hands is so wild for gk and he basically never catches a ball.

IncyWincySpider

Can't wait to see what he has in store for us when we play City in a few weeks. Maybe he can try nutmegging Haaland or scorpion kicking their corners if he gets bored standing around with his foot on the ball.

ti vu

De Gea in his full glory

Who made this compilation wanted to highlight all DDG's weaknesses including rooted on his line, not claiming cross, making his body small in 1 vs 1. However, Onana positioning is questionable in a different. He's not exactly always getting off his line. Seen stuck on his line too. He's not aggressively rushing out in 1 vs 1. Diving too soon in 1 vs 1 making shooting decision for opposition. His claiming crosses is hit and miss, because his judgement of the flight of the ball is questionable. Wolves potential penalty controversial, Burnley Sanders Berg header is kind of reminder of Darwin Nunez goal against Ajax. He's not immune from hoofing the ball habit nor making bad pass as seen yesterday for the sequence leading to Casemiro red.

If anything, when a GK who should be entering his prime is not overall clear cut better than a GK is well known for a long time on the decline, it's a worry. Bigger issue is we paid a big fee and wage for a world class in his prime GK, so if it doesn't work out it may greatly hinder us. Onana should be judged by the standard, not silly comparison in the race to the bottom.

Last edited:

fps

What the heck was that for the 3rd goal.
Might as well have just run away and left it open.

He can't save shots. That's a slight flaw even if you're Beckenbauer on the ball.
Keeping for the third goal was very FIFA, sorry, EA Sports 24.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Amazing how when you highlighted concerns over Onana the anti-DDG mob came out in full force. Now their boy is whiffing on basic shots and sitting down for strikers, they're digging out decade old mistakes videos of DDG.

It's amazing to see.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

Yes, he has only had 10 games and people are writting him off.

Its not easy playing in goal when the defence in front of you arnt doing their jobs.
Mate, ffs in ten games we've face liked 15 shots on target and he's let like 10 in.

The defence is allowing 1.5 shots on target a game! That's pretty good.

His confidence is low after a bad start, but it’s very early days. Hopefully things steady down for him. Every goalkeeper makes mistakes; more so when low on confidence. He just needs a run of quiet games in which he does the basics and doesn’t make a howler.

USREDEVIL

His confidence is low after a bad start, but it’s very early days. Hopefully things steady down for him. Every goalkeeper makes mistakes; more so when low on confidence. He just needs a run of quiet games in which he does the basics and doesn’t make a howler.
Well at least he has a decent run of games over the next few. Let's hope he can turn it around.

RedDevilQuebecois

Well at least he has a decent run of games over the next few. Let's hope he can turn it around.
Nope. There's nothing left to get from that dead horse.

I prefer giving Bayindir and his 1.98 m (6'6") frame a go, knowing that he will have to take the job come January anyway.

USREDEVIL

Nope. There's nothing left to get from that dead horse.

I prefer giving Bayindir and his 1.98 m (6'6") frame a go, knowing that he will have to take the job come January anyway.
I posted before the Galy match to start him in place of Onana because Onana looks shook AF. And i don't know shit about Bayindir.

miked99

I can understand why you'd feel disappointed in Onana.
I'd be livid too, in your position.
Just, in my opinion, don't turn him into a scapegoat.
He is a brilliant goalkeeper, as hard as it might be difficult for you to believe right now.
This is what we need, some optimism! Tell me more :D

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Has he made a good save yet?

ti vu

Weird way to put it. I meant you basically asked for everything.

It's like asking opposition to not do something as well as our outfield players doing well as well as Onana himself playing well. Onana already had some quiet game like against Crystal Palace in League Cup. Outside of Sander Berge header, Onana had a decent game against Burnley. Perhaps, outside of passing, distribution, it doesn't seem like confidence issue with him regarding other aspect of overall goalkeeping. He's very much the same. He's never that great a shotstopper.

JediSith

The biggest problem with Onana. Is that he’s not stopping shots. But also he’s not greatly doing the sweeper keeper and ball playing keeper thing. How many attacks or goals have come from him?

Let’s say the defence is letting him down. And every pass he makes gets ruined by the outfield players. Then it’s really on ETH.

What I do think. Is Onana is going away to AFCON. The second keeper is genuinely crap. In January we need to sign De Gea on a 2 month contract while Onana is away. Maybe when make it until the end of the season so Onana has proper competition when he returns. At Inter he had a top quality keeper behind him.

gaffs

@Raees called this in his Pythagoras in Boots video.

I linked to the 1v1 section and he says.....

"Mixed bag on one on ones"
"Not the same level of presence as Nauer or Allison"
"Passive and over cautious with leads to him being too static and not closing down with intensity."
"Leaves himself strandard in no mans land"
"Needs to become more decisive and aggressive."

Spot on from what we have seen so far.

RedRocket9908

Mate, ffs in ten games we've face liked 15 shots on target and he's let like 10 in.

The defence is allowing 1.5 shots on target a game! That's pretty good.
In 10 games the opposition have had a total of 50 shots on target and Andre has conceeded 18 goals.

In his 7 Premier League games this season he has 2 clean sheets 1 more than Allison who many including myself believe is the best goalkeeper in the league.

Last season he got more clean sheets than any other keeper in the Champions League because he had a proper defence in front of him.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

In 10 games the opposition have had a total of 50 shots on target and Andre has conceeded 18 goals.

In his 7 Premier League games this season he has 2 clean sheets 1 more than Allison who many including myself believe is the best goalkeeper in the league.

Last season he got more clean sheets than any other keeper in the Champions League because he had a proper defence in front of him.
So teams have a 1 in 3 chance of scoring if they get the ball on target.