Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

Yakuza_devils

Hopefully it's only the Man Utd pressure that gets to him. Once he settled down and have more confidence, hopefully everything will change. At the moment, he is performing worse than Championship GKs. He can't be that bad who played for Inter and was a star player in CL final. We need to give him time because we have invested so much in him.

mintyred

We used to have very good goalkeeping coaches, I'm not sure who they are now, but I'm sure he'll improve or be demoted next season. I do feel bad, but at the end of the day, he is in control of his future.

SirCactus

He's been dreadful. I genuinely didn't think he'd be this bad. We are cursed as I think everyone was happy with his signing.
Onana needs a bit more time before we jump to the conclusion that he is a flop. Utd paid a high price, yes, but I think the vast majority of fans were happy and we know that his formnin Serie A was impressive. Ok, the performances so far raise question marks but I think we need to persist and hope for the best. Pointing the finger at him alone won't bring us anywhere. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Avero

So is the new narrative that Onana is too fat?
I never said he's fat, but it might explain why he looks a bit slow in certain situations compared to someone like DDG.

I don't really know the ideal weight for the perfect goalkeeper, but if I was to guess I would say higher than DDG and lower than Onana.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Onana needs a bit more time before we jump to the conclusion that he is a flop. Utd paid a high price, yes, but I think the vast majority of fans were happy and we know that his formnin Serie A was impressive. Ok, the performances so far raise question marks but I think we need to persist and hope for the best. Pointing the finger at him alone won't bring us anywhere. Just my opinion.
It was a good price considering we went in for him after the finals and he was only a year into his contract, Inter had already agreed to the departure of Handanović and now needed replacing two goalkeepers.

He won’t be a failure at United but he has his limitations and our defenders will learn to compensate for them. Basically, just developing a greater understanding with the team.

Shanghai Red

It’s very early days for him. The history of football is littered with goalkeepers who started off atrociously but ended up as great goalkeepers. That said, I thought that DDG was a great goalkeeper. He saved us more times than I care to remember during his time and whilst he had a few ‘off seasons’ and made a few howlers, he was still better than the vast majority of goalkeepers.This fixation with ‘playing out from the back’ will disappear as quickly as it arrived when the next successful manager chooses not to adopt it. However DDG is over and done with and since the goalkeeping position is probably the most important when it comes to confidence, Onana needs the fans behind him.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It’s very early days for him. The history of football is littered with goalkeepers who started off atrociously but ended up as great goalkeepers. That said, I thought that DDG was a great goalkeeper. He saved us more times than I care to remember during his time and whilst he had a few ‘off seasons’ and made a few howlers, he was still better than the vast majority of goalkeepers.This fixation with ‘playing out from the back’ will disappear as quickly as it arrived when the next successful manager chooses not to adopt it. However DDG is over and done with and since the goalkeeping position is probably the most important when it comes to confidence, Onana needs the fans behind him.
What's early. It's not like this his first senior season. He's 24. He's been playing like 200 games? 100 at least?

Shanghai Red

What's early. It's not like this his first senior season. He's 24. He's been playing like 200 games? 100 at least?
Early in his career at Utd. New league, new team, new Country etc. I think any player should be given half a season before a judgement is made. Maybe he won’t work out, but having spent what we have on him, RTH won’t be changing him anytime soon, so like every single other player on the books. ,the fans should get behind him.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Early in his career at Utd. New league, new team, new Country etc. I think any player should be given half a season before a judgement is made. Maybe he won’t work out, but having spent what we have on him, RTH won’t be changing him anytime soon, so like every single other player on the books. ,the fans should get behind him.
Style of play.. chemistry.. yes maybe

But he fails at the basic saves. Which has nothing to do with adapting.

Glorio

I never said he's fat, but it might explain why he looks a bit slow in certain situations compared to someone like DDG.

I don't really know the ideal weight for the perfect goalkeeper, but if I was to guess I would say higher than DDG and lower than Onana.
I was actually thinking the other day, he's quite heavy-set compared to most keepers, which could affect his agility and speed. Now I don't know whether it's his typical weight, or if he may have added a few pounds, however, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that this could be a hindrance

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Fun fact:
Onana is very good, you bunch of inpatient clowns. :cool:

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
If this is the turning point and many of us (very much myself) has to eat their words, so be it. I hope I am proved horribly wrong

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Right, so he saved the penalty which was great and very happy for him and the team.

Again, I have concerns over technique, the way he saves the ball with his wrists, forearm, which blocks the ball down and backwards towards either the goal or back into danger.

His handling and save technique seems to be off.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Right, so he saved the penalty which was great and very happy for him and the team.

Again, I have concerns over technique, the way he saves the ball with his wrists, forearm, which blocks the ball down and backwards towards either the goal or back into danger.

His handling and save technique seems to be off.
He also so nervous right now that he's overreacting to shots. The first corner we conceded was because he tried to save a shot that was quite off target. The opposition knows this too and taking quite speculative shots, because they're hoping he fecks up.

Stll, has to be said that he won us the game.

FortunaUtd

I agree with this but I believed in DDG because I believed in SAF and didn't believe he'd make a mistake like that. I was confident DDG would come good because the manager thought he would. I've no confidence in the people recruiting the players now.
Pardon the late reply.
I understand that sentiment, don't get me wrong. But then it also encapsulates perfectly the problem that players joining us currently are facing:
Instead of having credit with the fans - credit to take time to bed in, credit to make mistakes, a credit of patience and goodwill as you would expect new arrivals to be granted - players that transfer to Utd actually arrive with a debt loaded onto them, by virtue of the discontent and mistrust our fans have developed over the years towards our own club, the people running it, and the squad.

I think that is a huge problem in the mindset of our fanbase, not that I do not acknowledge the reasons for it. But it runs danger of spoiling the relationship of fans towards their players by default.
That debt is especially high if the players were expensive (due to circumstances none of their fault, unless you want to call great performances at their previous clubs as 'their fault'). Then they basically individually have to prove to the fans that they are not overpaid duds, divas, or flops. Which eerily becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, as too many fans seemingly cannot accept that a club and a team can struggle, as our club and team does, without there necessarily being individual culprits.
It could be felt with Pogba, it could be felt with Sancho, and it can be felt with Casemiro, Onana and Mount.

Not that some of the above mentioned names should not carry any blame to the disappointments they have offered.
But if we wonder why our club seems to be a place where players go to turn shite, a mindset of loading all decade-long accumulated frustration onto new arrivals, and filing all the various and discreet problems any of our players might have -bad games, poor form, misfortune, instances of indiscipline or even injuries and off-field troubles- into the same folder of 'all that goes wrong at our club' might be something that we should be trying to change. To put it differently, you can hate the Glazers, be fed up with a decade of decline, and still unequivocally support our new goalkeeper through a couple poor performances without mixing up those things.

Looking at this thread it is frankly shocking how little credit our fans on here are prepared to give to a new player who arrived on the basis of having played an excellent season at top level with Inter and after having previously played successfully for our very manager. It is like we transfer in players by hostile takeovers. And we are the Glazers in this scenario. We put our debt onto them.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Love the way so many fans are suddenly experts on goalkeeping technique :lol:

Pickle85

Was really good today. Couple of heart in mouth fumbles bit sooner good saves too.

Heardy

Thought he had a good game. Made some good saves, needs to try and avoid blocking/parrying to their players though.

Sad reflection that his performance was one of our better ones when he let 3 in.

Stadjer

He has no control over his saves though. Another game another parry to a striker. Lucky mainoo was aware and dropped back in to clear it off the line.
I think Maguire got in Onana his way. Besides that, he had to fully stretch to reach that. Keeping it out was already very good goalkeeping. I doubt any keeper makes that saves and claims the ball at the same time.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Only the Sheff Utd keeper has made more saves this season. Says more about how bad we than him but fair play.

arnie_ni

I think Maguire got in Onana his way. Besides that, he had to fully stretch to reach that. Keeping it out was already very good goalkeeping. I dont any keeper makes that saves and claims the ball at the same time.
I wouldn't expect him to claim it defo not, just palm it out and away. He palms it right in front of him alot. It's at least the 3rd time he's done it, none have resulted in goals though. It's my only real criticism of him.

Pickle85

Was decent today but think 'superb' is ott. Still worries me with where his parries end up and I am still not seeing the quality with the ball at feet that was supposed to transform us. That said, good performance: made some good saves and, importantly, looked calm and a calming influence on the team.

mu4c_20le

No errors, made the saves that were expected of him. Happy with that. Now if he can consistently claim high balls and sweep up around or just outside his box like he used to, as we play a higher line, then that'll be money well spent.