Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

JagUTD

:lol: Hate campaign! FFS! :lol:
Give over, at this point it’s nothing more than calling a spade a spade. He’s been very poor and made a high number of errors to concede goals and lose games.
The difference is, even though we are calling out his performances all of us want to see him somehow turn it around.

None of it is personal, unlike it was with a genuine club legend and some of our fanbase.

RedDevilQuebecois

This Onana hate campaign amongst our fanbase is ridiculous, how is he supposed to succeed when his own fans are all hating on him from the second he arrived.

David De Gea was a liability and single handedly cost us a lot of games and got us knocked out of the Champions League in 2020-21 but never at any point was hated by his own fans as much as Onana is.
Are you serious? A hate campaign? :lol: Have you seen how awful Onana has been when it mattered in Europe? I have seen a few awful goalkeepers who had to hold the candle as the designated no. 1 goalkeeper during the Ferguson years (like Mark Bosnich, Fabien Barthez, Roy Carroll, Tim Howard and Ben Foster), but none of them comes close in terms of bad as Onana is. I'm telling it like it is and he's really worse than all of those guys, pants down.

FerociousCorgis

It should be said again that even with his decent games lately you could still see Onana making the same technique mistakes with his saves. Making weird saves with his wrist and rebound coming back in instead of out, feet not set properly on saves etc. Shit like that will result in more blunders like today.

Judas

Open to offers
I just don't trust him, any time someone shoots, which is tragic. I expected blunders, occasionally due to his style, but these aren't even the sort of mistakes I expected.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I’ld still give him the benefit of the doubt.We need to see how he does with a settled back 4 in front of him over a decent number of games.

JagUTD

This Onana hate campaign amongst our fanbase is ridiculous, how is he supposed to succeed when his own fans are all hating on him from the second he arrived.

David De Gea was a liability and single handedly cost us a lot of games and got us knocked out of the Champions League in 2020-21 but never at any point was hated by his own fans as much as Onana is.
This post is the result of Fifth Graders convincing Cartman to play a game...

Dansk

Because our scouting team probably had zero input, Onana is 100% a pure ETH signing and not someone that we’d have looked at over an extended period of time.
I mean, he was one of the more promising keepers before he came here. Neuer and (I believe) Buffon are both on the record saying he was their favourite. It's not as if he was some total nobody that we blindly flung a fortune at. While the money wasn't well-spent in hindsight, there's a reason Inter were able to demand €50m for him.

But as happens about 80% of the time that we sign a player, he mysteriously forgot how to do his job the moment he arrived at Old Trafford.

Andersons Dietician

It’s like he messes up basic keeping but is better at the harder ones. Also has a tendency to Hollywood dive rather than just shuffling and catching
This is the thing that bugs me the most about him. There are plenty of occasions where it’s an easy take. Just shuffle and get behind the ball. However for some reason he has to make super easy saves look dramatic as hell.

There is a good keeper there I think but he really needs to start doing the basics correctly.

Will Singh

Regardless of if he’s good or if he’ll turn it around the fact of the matter he can’t be trusted and that ripples through the team which is a NO NO. Back to the drawing board for a new keeper….!

UnsungHero

Monitoring the preparation of the Vidal bid
Peter Schmeichel said he's got the most bizarre technique of any keeper he's seen - and I agree.

He's nothing special when it comes to passing, so it is indeed like we're playing with an outfield player in goal.

Disastrous signing, I had high hopes for him too. :(

JagUTD

Wonder if Onana would be performing much better if De Gea was still here in a back up role. Or if being dropped for a few games then being forced to earn his place like De Gea often did would benefit him.

Todd

I like the guy but he's just too prone to mistakes to be trusted as a #1 at a big club. We need to put some other GKs on our radar for the next couple windows.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
:lol: Hate campaign! FFS! :lol:
Give over, at this point it’s nothing more than calling a spade a spade. He’s been very poor and made a high number of errors to concede goals and lose games.
Probably…ahem….a poor phrase to use

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Hard to see a way back already from so many howlers. Not to being a trusted first choice keeper for United at least. It obviously can be done, lots of players start badly at a club, but for a keeper - who will almost always cost you literal goals and games when they’re in terrible form, rather than just coast somewhat invisibly through - I can’t think of a good example. I mean a shit striker can cost you a point or two in tight games, but they aren’t running down the other end and kicking it in your own net!

I don’t think he is, but you could probably make a shout for him being our worst ever signing at present pound for pound, considering the direct impact he’s had on results. He’s almost single handedly knocked us out of the CL. Karius never recovered, not to mention several England keepers whose one high profile mistake basically ended their top level chances. Just a real madness of a debut season so far. And the last thing a defence with Maguire & Lindelof still in it needs is even more reason to be perpetually nervous. You’ve gotta hope he’s got incredible confidence to recover.

Also doesn’t help that De Gea is just sitting on a beach somewhere without a club, making us look even sillier (even though letting him go was the right call at the time)

goalscholes

He’s been worse for us than Taibi was at the same point of his United career.

It wasn’t like it was unknowable either. Basically every YouTube scouting channel said his weakness was shot stopping, which feels fairly important for a GK

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Also doesn’t help that De Gea is just sitting on a beach somewhere without a club, making us look even sillier (even though letting him go was the right call at the time)
It just wasn’t, it was a misguided gamble. It’s clear that David is a far superior goalkeeper.
It wasn’t like it was unknowable either. Basically every YouTube scouting channel said his weakness was shot stopping, which feels fairly important for a GK
You wouldn’t have thought so reading the transfer forum in the summer. :rolleyes:

JagUTD

It just wasn’t, it was a misguided gamble. It’s clear that David is a far superior goalkeeper.

You wouldn’t have thought so reading the transfer forum in the summer. :rolleyes:
Modern keeping. More how many keepy uppies than can he stop the ball going in.

For the record, Onana can do 3. 4 if you allow for one bounce.

Tarrou

given our transfer track record we could be in for another post-Schmiechel-esque period

Onana's confidence looks proper fecked now, and we're in a really tough situation

el3mel

Probably because De Gea carried the team on his back single handedly for years before his form dropping.

fallengt

Idk why every season, a player deceives "Yep, this time for me to be the jester" and take the spotlight. Maguire, Ronaldo, DeGea, now Onana.
Look I don't ask them to be world class consistently, just average 6/10 would be enough. Is it too much to ask from these millionaire footballers?

Manchester United's pressure? does it even exist nowadays since no one expect us to win big anymore. Just fecking save damn freekick that even a schoolgirl could save.

DownRiver

Bimbo genes will always come up in the worst times. Even if Onana has a great rest of the season, that stupid gene that you find with Antony will always surface up.

We will stick with him, but we will come back in this thread and all say we can’t win anything with him. Furthermore, we are not even utilising his best asset which is to pass from the back, as we do not have the back four to do so.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
City and Liverpool suffered with keepers, quickly realised it, and brought in top draw replacements. I know it’s not easy but we need to be doing the same. It’s all down to recruitment.

RedinIndia

Give bayindir the matches, can't be worse than this clown.

These are the sort of matches where you expect top teams to stroll through and dictate from the word go.

Turns out we aren't even Turkish league level.

SirMonteyne

Probably because De Gea carried the team on his back single handedly for years before his form dropping.
It's disappointing that the club and some of the fans fail to appreciate and respect our one and only true legend from the post-SAF era. The way the club and the manager handled David's situation was unacceptable and hurtful. I personally felt very bad during the whole situation and it's still unacceptable to me, I'm certain that some of our players also lost their motivation due to this.

Lexicon Red Devil

It's easy to forget that as good as De Gea became eventually, he was still rotated in his first season to take some pressure off when he had made a few howlers.

Onana has cost us a place in the CL knockouts and that has to be blamed on Ten Hag, unfortunately. If he's such a character as we've been told then being dropped wouldn't be a problem and he'd be up for the challenge of fighting to win his place back. There's just no conceivable way any another keeper could have been any worse tonight.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Ashamed to say you’ve lost me. Did I say something wrong?

edit - I googled the phrase and holy crap I had no idea. I’ve edited my post. Thanks for the heads up and apologies to anyone I may have offended. :nervous:
No worries…..I could see the post reported - accusations - public execution timeline unfolding :lol:

AnotherLondonManc

Ashamed to say you’ve lost me. Did I say something wrong?

edit - I googled the phrase and holy crap I had no idea. I’ve edited my post. Thanks for the heads up and apologies to anyone I may have offended. :nervous:
Is Plant0x84 about to get Cavanied?

parmenio

we spent terrible in the summer. DDG could have had another season easy. We still don’t play out from the back and our shot stopping is far worse. The £50m could have bought a decent CH. team would be far stronger. where are all the experts saying this chap was amazing with ball at his feet? No good if he can’t keep the ball out the net which is his job. The team actually looks to be improving but his howlers came at a terrible time. No confidence and Newcastle next. I’d fancy us against them but how you account for these howlers

AFC NimbleThumb

My biggest concern isn’t even the blunders, he’s going through a bad run of them. It’s more so how he fumbles simple crosses or mishandles random catches creating moments of panic needlessly. You can tell he’s mentally shot cause even his footwork is becoming shoddy. He can gain back confidence but he just creates a tad too much panic unnecessarily.

I did think he’d look better if we became a 60/70% possession, 2-0 up in 20 minutes team but he actually makes his worst blunders at the least pressurised moments it feels like.

This guy is a massive worry.

The Irish Connection

Hard to see a way back already from so many howlers. Not to being a trusted first choice keeper for United at least. It obviously can be done, lots of players start badly at a club, but for a keeper - who will almost always cost you literal goals and games when they’re in terrible form, rather than just coast somewhat invisibly through - I can’t think of a good example. I mean a shit striker can cost you a point or two in tight games, but they aren’t running down the other end and kicking it in your own net!

I don’t think he is, but you could probably make a shout for him being our worst ever signing at present pound for pound, considering the direct impact he’s had on results. He’s almost single handedly knocked us out of the CL. Karius never recovered, not to mention several England keepers whose one high profile mistake basically ended their top level chances. Just a real madness of a debut season so far. And the last thing a defence with Maguire & Lindelof still in it needs is even more reason to be perpetually nervous. You’ve gotta hope he’s got incredible confidence to recover.

Yup. I think he needed to get to Christmas at least without a howler, and he had two tonight.
I’d say Maguire is feeling hard done by as well as he’s actually playing well and not making errors but now the keeper is.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Well we're stuck with him for now so may as well make the best of it. Maybe he'll come good? If not bye bye in summer.