Falcao

Jacob

Colombian Star A United Target

Manchester United are tracking £15million-rated Colombian goal-scoring sensation Falcao as an alternative to Tottenham striker Dimitar Berbatov. United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has received glowing reports on the prolific River Plate forward - full name Radamel Falcao Garcia Zarate. Falcao, 22, is similar in style to United striker Carlos Tevez, and has scored 38 goals in 58 games for his Argentine club. His strike rate has also attracted interest from Real Madrid and Juventus. Berbatov remains United's top summer transfer target but Spurs are reluctant to sell to another English club, which is why they have quoted a fee of £30m for their prized asset. Falcao, nicknamed El Tigre, is renowned for his lethal finishing and has stated his ambition to move to a big European club.

David McDonnell, Daily Mirror

The Daily Express claims United will give Cristiano Ronaldo the chance to prove his commitment to the club, by offering the winger a further two-year contract extension.

Sir Alex Ferguson was in court on Tuesday, providing a glowing character reference for former Reds trainee Ben Collett, who is seeking damages for a career-ending challenge from Middlesbrough's Gary Smith.

According to the Daily Mail, Sir Alex's right-hand man, Carlos Queiroz, is weighing up an offer to manage the Portuguese national team.

Finally, PFA chief Gordon Taylor has advised Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton to follow the lead of Eric Cantona if he wants to overcome his off-field problems.

manutd.com

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Colombian Star A United Target

Manchester United are tracking £15million-rated Colombian goal-scoring sensation Falcao as an alternative to Tottenham striker Dimitar Berbatov. United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has received glowing reports on the prolific River Plate forward - full name Radamel Falcao Garcia Zarate. Falcao, 22, is similar in style to United striker Carlos Tevez, and has scored 38 goals in 58 games for his Argentine club. His strike rate has also attracted interest from Real Madrid and Juventus. Berbatov remains United's top summer transfer target but Spurs are reluctant to sell to another English club, which is why they have quoted a fee of £30m for their prized asset. Falcao, nicknamed El Tigre, is renowned for his lethal finishing and has stated his ambition to move to a big European club.

David McDonnell, Daily Mirror

The Daily Express claims United will give Cristiano Ronaldo the chance to prove his commitment to the club, by offering the winger a further two-year contract extension.

Sir Alex Ferguson was in court on Tuesday, providing a glowing character reference for former Reds trainee Ben Collett, who is seeking damages for a career-ending challenge from Middlesbrough's Gary Smith.

According to the Daily Mail, Sir Alex's right-hand man, Carlos Queiroz, is weighing up an offer to manage the Portuguese national team.

Finally, PFA chief Gordon Taylor has advised Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton to follow the lead of Eric Cantona if he wants to overcome his off-field problems.

manutd.com
Do we need him then? If we go for a striker I would of thought we'd go for someone who would offer us something different to Tevez / Rooney?

born&raisedred

carrying on from last years debate, if tevez is a carbon copy of rooney and falcao of tevez, do we need 3rooney's? or considering (in my opinion) 2 rooney's were beter than 1, would 3 be better than 2, or as some proffered 'we need a target man not another rooney, we only want the 1 rooney and saha is a better player than tevez anyhow irrespective of the number of rooneys people want to bring in'.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
carrying on from last years debate, if tevez is a carbon copy of rooney and falcao of tevez, do we need 3rooney's? or considering (in my opinion) 2 rooney's were beter than 1, would 3 be better than 2, or as some proffered 'we need a target man not another rooney, we only want the 1 rooney and saha is a better player than tevez anyhow irrespective of the number of rooneys people want to bring in'.
That last sentence has a painful amount of clauses in it.

But I'm with you, FWIW. Two Rooney's is better than one and three Rooney's is better than two.

Been some interesting articles in the press last season (from a couple of the more well-informed journos) pointing out how we've developed a style of play that negates the need for an old-fashioned, out-and-out striker.

I still think we need an option off the bench, mind you, to give us the option of a more direct approach. But Manucho might be the man to fill that role. Or Saha, if he stays fit (that's a very big 'if', in case you're wondering).

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think that opinion is wide of the mark. Lose Ronaldo's goals and you'll see just how wide.
That reminds me of one of those daft comedy sketches from years ago, with two blokes whaffling on about some footballer "great player, clinical finisher, but if you ran up to him and cut off both his legs, at the knees, just before he kicked the ball, then he wouldn't look so clever, would he?"

(no idea which show it was on and it wasn't very funny anyway)

Of course Ronaldo scored shit-loads of goals, of course he'll be hard to replace (if we have to replace him, which seems unlikely at present) but the fact remains that we created shit-loads of opportunities, playing without an out-and-out striker. If Ronaldo isn't around to takes these opportunties, someone else will. Like, for example, an in-form Wayne Rooney.

Longlivekeano

Reminds me of Marcelo Salas the Chilean forward we were once interested in but who eventually signed for uventus. Strong in the air & good finishing with both feet

Name Changed

weso26
I've seen him play on numerous occasions and he doesn't really play similarly to Tevez. He is more of a predator than Tevez and his heading is excellent.

cockneyred

i thought we had a big old fashioned centre foward in manucho, still cant see saf spending big money on a striker with manucho saha tevez rooney campbell

RedRover

i thought we had a big old fashioned centre foward in manucho, still cant see saf spending big money on a striker with manucho saha tevez rooney campbell
Fergie has said he'll likely bring in only one player - I'm ccertain that player will be a centre forward.

Saha will be sodl if we can find a buyer. It'll eb interesting to see how manucho gets on - he'll have to get a work permit first though.

i cant see Campbell getting much game time if he stays. He'd be beter loaned out to Hull again to see fi he really does have the class to make any sort of impact in he PL.

Brophs

The One and Only
I can't conceive on any possible way SAF will buy someone so unproven, after all he has Campbell and Wellbeck for that. This guy may be the nuts in Argentina, but that has been shown in the past to be no guarantee of success over here.

Name Changed

weso26
I can't see this happening. If it was as the 4th striker though I'd be delighted but it won't happen.

Robbie Boy

Well they did pay 47m Euros for him.
They sure did. Chelsea paid £50 million for Torres, so that really means nothing, they lost both Aguero and Forlan and Falcao has come in and had a really impressive start to his career at Atletico.