Television Fallout TV Series

Spark

Some serious similarities in the story line to Silo (books), must be an influence.

Can’t remember the in game story line at all, bar Fallout 3 (which was class).

Great show, glad it came out in one go.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
What is going on in TV adaptations land when video games like this and The Last of Us are getting better adaptations than historically significant IP's?
Like @WI_Red says, having a showrunner who is a big name in the business having respect for the source material, working with the original creators and caring about the project makes a big difference. For too long adaptations have been nothing more than nods to the games even when they don't make sense (I'm looking at you, Resi movies) and a quick and easy way to cash in. And they used to fall flat because A) they didn't give a shit about some stupid game and B) they didn't bother trying to properly adapt it to the new medium.

For me TLoU and this show work so fecking well because they take the essence of the games to heart whilst ensuring that it works for TV. And having an amazing cast helps alot as well.

On another note I'm surprised so many people don't like the Maximus actor (Aaron Moten) because I think he's brilliant. A proper old school theatre actor. His scene with Michael Cristofer, Brotherhood Elder, an even bigger heavyweight of the stage, is absolutely amazing and just goes to show what happens when you take a project seriously. If you're getting the ladeedah proper thesbian actor twats on board with your video game adaptation then you know you're doing something right.

I can't wait for season two. They'll probably get more creative freedom and a bigger budget to really nail the batshit insane/endless panic of the games, and it's going to be beautiful.

Bobski

Its very good and as someone who has played the modern games but wouldn't call myself an obsessive they quickly got me onside with all the little touches and how recognizable it was as Fallout, the quirky humour, the music, you can tell it comes from a production team who were showing some care for the source material, which as I nodded towards up the thread is not reproduced in so many other adaptations.

I like Maximus, don't get the criticism, bit of an eejit but a likeable one.

sepulturite

Its very good and as someone who has played the modern games but wouldn't call myself an obsessive they quickly got me onside with all the little touches and how recognizable it was as Fallout, the quirky humour, the music, you can tell it comes from a production team who were showing some care for the source material, which as I nodded towards up the thread is not reproduced in so many other adaptations.

I like Maximus, don't get the criticism, bit of an eejit but a likeable one.
Yeh people don't seem to be understanding Maximus' character, he is the way he is because he was raised in the brotherhood, so the way he is and his knowledge (or lack of sometimes) makes sense.

sepulturite

Shall I watch without playing the game?
Yeh it's safe enough to watch without playing the games, there's a few things that might confuse you that fans of the games will only get, but these are easily looked up and answered afterwards.

Simbo

Also liked Maximus. It didn't start out that way so no surprise some don't. That permanent dumb childlike look on his face is a good portrayal of the character though I think.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Thought this was terrific. As good as an adaption from a video game you are likely to see.

And my missus loved it too and haven't a clue about the games. In fact, she's encouraged me to play through Fallout 4 again so she can learn more of the world. Suits me.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Why are people looking to Maximus to be a lead character? He’s not. He’s a foil and device for others. I think the character was ace to link various plot lines together.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Shall I watch without playing the game?
Yes! I knew nothing about the games going in and I really enjoyed the series. I did start watching game cutscenes after getting into the series because it made me curious about the universe but I definitely think it's great without playing any of the games.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Zach Cherry is basically a younger version of Stephen McKinley Henderson. And combined they are in every Sci-Fi thing possible.

James_42

If anyone is interested in playing Fallout 4 again because of this show, the DLC is currently on sale on the Playstation store but it ends today, with the new next gen update arriving tomorrow.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Finished this at the weekend, having never played the game.
Really enjoyed everything about it. Thought the way they did flashbacks was well done and you didn't feel like you were just jumping around struggling to keep up.
Some good comedy moments and reveals.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Finished it today. It’s good fun.

The stuff in vaults 31-33 was some of the most interesting and they intertwined the flashbacks well and connected it all nicely.

I also really enjoyed Thaddeus. Had some great moments :lol:

nimic

something nice
Scout
Finished it today. It’s good fun.

The stuff in vaults 31-33 was some of the most interesting and they intertwined the flashbacks well and connected it all nicely.

I also really enjoyed Thaddeus. Had some great moments :lol:
I recognized Thaddeus from the Jump Street films and thought "isn't he a bit young to play this role", but then I realized the first film was 12 years ago and that he was already 30 at that point.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Finished it.

It was great, I thought they absolutely nailed the look and feel of the games, with the perfect amount of comedy, gore, and drama. Hard to imagine a more perfect adaptation really?

Lucy and Cooper are great characters. Maximus, yeah I dunno, I’m mixed on him, but I get that’s what the character should be.

Precaution

Fallout 4 update released today, so finally going to get into that, i started Fallout 3 which is good, Fallout 76 is woeful mind and New Vegas is incredibly dated.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Fallout 4 update released today, so finally going to get into that, i started Fallout 3 which is good, Fallout 76 is woeful mind and New Vegas is incredibly dated.
New Vegas is very dated, but it's newer than Fallout 3 which is even more dated. Fallout 4 has a lot of gameplay improvements, but the writing is a very clear step down. Also it's locked at 60 fps, which annoys me.