g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

'False' positions

Bwuk

Wide playmaker. Young and Valencia were the two tasked with providing width that game. Mata was allowed to come inside and cut in. Similar to what we've been doing before that when AdM was on the right and Young on the left, although I think this role suits Mata more. Di Maria is too direct for it.

dsch

This. False winger, inside right, inverted-winger, wide playmaker, it's all the same.
They mean different things.

- Inside-right is a historical designation and implies a particular system and the inside-right's relationship to the other players in that system.

- Inverted-winger is specifically a winger who plays on the side opposite his stronger foot, usually to allow the fullback to exploit the space out wide. The position still demands certain of the traditional qualities associated with wingers like speed, dribbling, and agility.

- False winger, going on the analogy with false nine, is a term that emphasises the intention to cause uncertainty in the opposition, whether the fullback tracks the winger or not and who should pick him up. You can play Mata on the left as a false winger, but he wouldn't be an inverted winger.

- Wide playmaker I haven't heard so much about, but it seems to imply an opposition to winger, i.e., a wide playmaker is not the fastest, he doesn't run down the flanks and get to the byline, he drops back to pick up the ball from deep, etc.

- You missed the inside-forward, which is a goalscorer who starts out wide/in the channel and comes in looking to score, like David Villa during his last good period.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Utterly ridiculous:

- Inside-right is a historical designation and implies a particular system and the inside-right's relationship to the other players in that system.

- Inverted-winger is specifically a winger who plays on the side opposite his stronger foot, usually to allow the fullback to exploit the space out wide. The position still demands certain of the traditional qualities associated with wingers like speed, dribbling, and agility.

- False winger, going on the analogy with false nine, is a term that emphasises the intention to cause uncertainty in the opposition, whether the fullback tracks the winger or not and who should pick him up. You can play Mata on the left as a false winger, but he wouldn't be an inverted winger.

- Wide playmaker I haven't heard so much about, but it seems to imply an opposition to winger, i.e., a wide playmaker is not the fastest, he doesn't run down the flanks and get to the byline, he drops back to pick up the ball from deep, etc.

- You missed the inside-forward, wihich is a goalscorer who starts out wide/in the channel and comes in looking to score, like David Villa during his la
st good period.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Just struck me that Fellaini actually plays as a false #10. Very false infact, as he plays so many different roles and positions during a match.

Macern

Pee pee pants

- You missed the inside-forward, which is a goalscorer who starts out wide/in the channel and comes in looking to score, like David Villa during his last good period.
Raumdauter would be a more accurate word. A raumdauter, Thomas Müller for instance, mainly looks for goals, while an inside forward creates just as much as attempting to score goals.

dsch

Raumdauter would be a more accurate word. A raumdauter, Thomas Müller for instance, mainly looks for goals, while an inside forward creates just as much as attempting to score goals.
Raumdeuter. I guess I tend to think of Müller as the only Raumdeuter in existence.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Mata is apparently playing as a false right winger according to LvG.

Someone will have to explain that too me.
That's an inside forward.

Annahnomoss

Haha yeah there aren't many. Moussa Sow would be another one.
I'd actually say that Ronaldo is a raumdeuter.
Difficult. I wouldn't consider Ronaldo/Stoichkov as raumdeuters because of the fact that their runs are more often made just for their own good. If they think they can receive a ball they'll make the run - a Raumdeuter would play with the zonal marking and force space to be created where they want to for their teammates.

As well as of course making runs in to space for themselves.

Macern

Pee pee pants
The question is what a "false-Raumdeuter" would be.
It was mostly a joke. Given the fact that "false" means that the player moves around making space in his original position while playing other positions/roles at times, a false raumdeuter would be a raumdeuter who moves in to he striker position playing as a #9 (at times) or something like that.

prarek

Just struck me that Fellaini actually plays as a false #10. Very false infact, as he plays so many different roles and positions during a match.
Stop making false accusations against Fellaini mate.

prarek

It was a compliment on his versatility :)
I know mate. I was just falsely accusing you of making false accusations on Fellaini who was indeed very much a false 10 as you said taking up so many false positions. Ok ill get my coat now.

Macern

Pee pee pants
I know mate. I was just falsely accusing you of making false accusations on Fellaini who was indeed very much a false 10 as you said taking up so many false positions. Ok ill get my coat now.
:lol: Stop making false accusations. Stop being such a false poster.

Irrational.

Stampy G is a false landlord. He has the freedom to raise Brentan's rent however much he wants after being left out yesterday.

Squirtle is a false Pokémon.

Suarez is a false human being.

Etc.

Seriously, I think there's too much tactical terminology these days.

Bape

Inverted winger right? Left footer on right side business

goin4glory

The name of a role isn't at all important the actual function the player performs is what matters and since all players are fairly unique and have different pro's/cons in every position it can lead to certain sterotypes being mashed together. I mean Messi is called a false 9 but his actual position is traditionally much more like a 10 it's just that his finishing and ability in the final 3rd mean Barca have played with no striker or put the likes of Villa/Henry on the left to let Messi be central which leads to false 9.

Listar

Just putting out there.. Can we say people like Chris Ramsay and Tim Sherwood considered false managers? promoted from assistant but never really considered as full fledge managers (I guess they are already called caretaker manager)?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

The inside-left/right position is very relevant in today's game. The space traditionally occupied by the winger or outside-left/right is now typically used by the overlapping full-back. The inside-right/left is now part of a different system but it's still a clear part of the game. The main reason the term has fallen out of favour is because of wannabe tactical gurus indulging the new FM/FIFA/PES lingo.

Needham

Agreed. And a sweeper is a false goalkeeper. What happened to sweepers? Bring back sweepers!

dsch

The inside-left/right position is very relevant in today's game. The space traditionally occupied by the winger or outside-left/right is now typically used by the overlapping full-back. The inside-right/left is now part of a different system but it's still a clear part of the game. The main reason the term has fallen out of favour is because of wannabe tactical gurus indulging the new FM/FIFA/PES lingo.
You are absolutely right about the importance of the position, but it is precisely because the position is important that there are more specific terms describing different ways of filling that position.

I also like how people are attributing the proliferation of technical language to "wannabe tactical gurus indulging the new FM/FIFA/PES lingo." Where do you think that lingo came from? Which "wannabe tactical guru" used the phrase that led to this thread?

SalfordRed1960

Mata is apparently playing as a false right winger according to LvG.

Someone will have to explain that too me.
From the web.

Tactics and tinkering has resulted the theory of “False Wingers”. Unlike conventional wingers the only time they hug the touchline is when their names are put out on the team-sheet. They are a breed between wide men and trequartistas. They have an incredible passing range and love to roam infield and play some intricate passes with the other midfielders and forwards to ultimately release a player on the run with a through ball.

With possession the name of the game in modern day football, teams tend to play with False Wingers who roam around in the space between the opposition’s midfield and defence in the inside left/right channel which makes it difficult for them to be marked out of the game

montpelier

I 'd best retire from coaching at the highest level I don't think I can tell my 'false 9' from my '10', tbh.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
You are absolutely right about the importance of the position, but it is precisely because the position is important that there are more specific terms describing different ways of filling that position.

I also like how people are attributing the proliferation of technical language to "wannabe tactical gurus indulging the new FM/FIFA/PES lingo." Where do you think that lingo came from? Which "wannabe tactical guru" used the phrase that led to this thread?
On the whole though the new language is largely coming, not from the managers, but from either the gamer side or through the tactical blogger side (Wilson/Cox/Williams/etc). With the latter it's often good debate and a damn sight better than what you typically get in most of the papers. At the same time, there's a vested interest in there around creating new tactical concepts and positions to further their own careers, rather than re-using existing terminology.

dsch

On the whole though the new language is largely coming, not from the managers, but from either the gamer side or through the tactical blogger side (Wilson/Cox/Williams/etc). With the latter it's often good debate and a damn sight better than what you typically get in most of the papers. At the same time, there's a vested interest in there around creating new tactical concepts and positions to further their own careers, rather than re-using existing terminology.
New tactical systems, new terminology. They're ways of understanding and describing what is happening. Once you understand chemistry, you no longer use alchemical terms. And systems are also changing. Trying to adapt the term "inside-right" to fit all the ways of playing that position now would be like trying to define modern corporations and companies in terms of mediaeval guilds; possible, sure, but why bother when there are more precise and appropriate terms available?

Blackwidow

Haha yeah there aren't many. Moussa Sow would be another one.
I'd actually say that Ronaldo is a raumdeuter.
Maybe Ronaldo is a false traumdeuter...

The terminology Raumdeuter comes from Müller to discribe what he does on the field.

The interview from January 2011
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/thomas-mueller-im-gespraech-ich-bin-ein-raumdeuter-1.1043798

It is not about positions but about strengths.

His position at that time was the shadowstriker or shadow peak - that was how van Gaal named the position for him and Litmanen even if Litmanen was much more a playmaker.