Famous Football Moments You Haven't Seen

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
For years I had no idea why people called it a Panenka. It didn't seem to be a thing at all from the late 80s and throughout the 90s. I swear nobody took a single penalty that way in all that time before it became trendier again in the 2000s/2010s. :lol: If they did I don't think it got called a Panenka in UK media, probably a chipped penalty or something.

When I first heard it I assumed it was the word for chipping, lobbing, dinked or lofted in another language for ages.

Edit: Even reading the Wikipedia article on that style of penalty there are no other examples until Totti in Euro 2000, barring one miss from Gary Lineker in 1992 that I don't remember at all. Probably in a friendly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panenka_(penalty_kick)
Aye struggling to remember many from the 90s, aside from Dwight Yorke who did a couple:

led_scholes

For years I had no idea why people called it a Panenka. It didn't seem to be a thing at all from the late 80s and throughout the 90s. I swear nobody took a single penalty that way in all that time before it became trendier again in the 2000s/2010s. :lol: If they did I don't think it got called a Panenka in UK media, probably a chipped penalty or something.

When I first heard it I assumed it was the word for chipping, lobbing, dinked or lofted in another language for ages.

Edit: Even reading the Wikipedia article on that style of penalty there are no other examples until Totti in Euro 2000, barring one miss from Gary Lineker in 1992 that I don't remember at all. Probably in a friendly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panenka_(penalty_kick)
Same :lol:
I thought it meant chipping or something in some language. Like the elastico refers to a specific dribble.

I only saw the original (and learned that it was named after that player as well) from a YouTube shorts a year ago.