Fans must act now - or risk seeing the club waste another 8 years in abyss

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I have put a fair bit of thought into this, and it's not a result of blind emotion. Some posters have adequately described the incompetence, such as below:

This doesnt feel like incompetence, its more like being hoodwinked. You cant fail this spectacular unless its by design
It's always been on our minds, when is it enough? A scatter-gun approach to hiring managers, to completing transfers, to promising DoF before changing direction, to throwing ridiculous sums on players never meant to work out. We've seen this cycle with our club every 2 years like a broken record, where we are at optimum outrage before a false dawn appears with a new manager.

It's a team effort, but is anyone aware of any orchestrated actions which the fanbase can take to put pressure on infrastructure changes? I do not buy the idea that we are helpless as a collective. The Glazers & Ed Woodward, they depend massively on the Manchester United brand, and unanimous fan outrage is terrible for the brand.

I feel the issue is we are not showing our discontent in tandem. There is limited scope in the current environment, and in my opinion we really wasted opportunities to voice serious discontent pre-pandemic.

But what can be done now? Is it organised protests? Is it a united front of unfollowing social media, getting hashtags to fire Ed Woodward trending? What can reasonably stoke the fire in the board? On the surface it sounds stupid to point to social media like some keyboard warriors to show our rage, but I think it can be a powerful weapon of raising the awareness of the discontent, and flag it to a top level. If anyone gets wind of orchestrated action, I have created this thread to share. Because it looks like all we need as fans is traction to get something going and force a change.

I want to make it clear in this thread that no one should condone violence of any form, nor any personal attacks on the board/Ed Woodward.

Last edited:

TehRed

It's everything.

Unfollow on social media.
Get negative hashtags trending.
Stop buying shirts & merch.
Don't return to games when able to do so.
Don't renew season tickets.

Limit the cash flow coming in, minimise attendance, spread negative press. If the on-field performances remain poor and dressing room unrest begins to stir, Ole's position comes under fire. If the commercial side is failing, then that's Ed under the microscope. If it all persists, that's when the Glazers start to think about abandoning ship.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I always thought a mass walkout during a televised game would be powerful. It'd have to be 20,000 odd fans and not all scattered around. Yes, they've still got the money but it's a message, first big step in many years.

For a club who does boast about social media, boycott their socials. Stop buying merchandise. But stuff like that won't work because there'll always be plenty of fans who do buy/pay/follow.

I think the next best chance we have coming up is renewing our two biggest sponsors. Kit manufacturer and kit sponsor. Both are due soon. And logically I can't see any way we command a world record deal like we have been doing over the last 2 decades. And seeing as thats what Ed has always done well, maybe it'll be the straw that shows the Glazer he and they have neglected the most important part of a football club, the actual team.

Maybe, maybe that'll show the Glazers that on pitch failures DO affect off pitch 'successes'.

Or maybe they'll say the manager hasn't done his job and we need a new one?

The Original

I think fans need to come to terms with the fact that the Glazers own the club. It's theirs to do with as they please so the sense of outrage is understandable but seems misplaced to me. You cannot do anything other than boycott the club.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Won’t happen. The fan base is way too divided. Some people think what you’re suggesting means you’re “not a real fan”

Roboc7

No one return to the stadium once Covid restrictions are lifted, if that happened the owners are gone.

It never will happen though football means too much to people and that’s why football clubs are popular investments, fans keep coming back for more, look at Arsenal.

Kaos

The protests need to start again and they need to get nasty. You might argue the Glazers don’t care and you may be right, but what it does do is generate a very hostile and toxic narrative around the club, something sponsors I’m sure won’t be too fond of. That has the potential to hurt them financially.

We also need to directly hurt them financially. For the love of all that his holy, stop buying official club merch - If you really must get your toddler a kit for Christmas then there’s plenty of convincing fakes to buy online, or better yet buy a classic retro jersey.

Barry Red

The responses so far are fair enough, but just how much financial damage would a UK based campaign do? Does anyone know just what percentage of the club's total revenue is generated in the UK? I fully agree that the only thing that would worry the Glazers is a significant drop in revenue but it seems to me that with the revenue stream being global, unlike that of smaller clubs, a UK only action would be symbolic rather than effective.
Rob

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I always thought a mass walkout during a televised game would be powerful. It'd have to be 20,000 odd fans and not all scattered around. Yes, they've still got the money but it's a message, first big step in many years.

For a club who does boast about social media, boycott their socials. Stop buying merchandise. But stuff like that won't work because there'll always be plenty of fans who do buy/pay/follow.

I think the next best chance we have coming up is renewing our two biggest sponsors. Kit manufacturer and kit sponsor. Both are due soon. And logically I can't see any way we command a world record deal like we have been doing over the last 2 decades. And seeing as thats what Ed has always done well, maybe it'll be the straw that shows the Glazer he and they have neglected the most important part of a football club, the actual team.

Maybe, maybe that'll show the Glazers that on pitch failures DO affect off pitch 'successes'.

We're probably the most watched sports team in the world. Companies care about exposure so we will probably get a great deal .
The fans have to take action, especially the Manchester based ones. You don't need a walkout, a silent protest sends a powerful message. It happened here during the Stockholm derby.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Won’t happen. The fan base is way too divided. Some people think what you’re suggesting means you’re “not a real fan”
This was a good point maybe a year ago. But now even those who were on the brink of joining the protest side would likely have crossed over.
The proportion of supporters who think it's still OK at the club is thinner today than it ever was.

MDFC Manager

This doesnt feel like incompetence, its more like being hoodwinked. You cant fail this spectacular unless its by design
This is absolutely, 100% spot on. We've been hoodwinked without doubt. Played like a fecking fiddle.

clarkydaz

this was going to happen last season but it was Brunos debut, and the 58 munich anniversary. So it was an uneasy topic. But i agree this is the most visual and powerful message.

Andy_Cole

During Covid - so us not in stadiums. How can we react? The glazers have hit the jackpot with Covid. They can rinse the club with no reaction.

The Irish Connection

Yeah, the mass walkout would be good. If that could be organised, but difficult.
Also, maybe a crowdfunding campaign where everyone is refunded, to show how many United fans around the world are willing to put their money on the line to buy a chunk of the club.
Could influencers reach out to the likes of Jim Ratcliffe stating that fans would like to go halves with him on buying the club? Beckham, Neville and co? The red knights group?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Just be ready for when matches come back. We probably have months to plan. Unfollow all official platforms. Get all supporters platforms signing from the same hymn sheet. Reddit, here, Twitter and get something going. Seriously, feck these guys. It’s like giving a monkey a gun at this stage

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
It's sad really. The only thing that will fix the club is to fail so badly that the Glazers and co. leave. That's it. They have no interest in success or even hiring people to bring success. They're in their end game of milking the club until they end up leaving us with massive debt and zero pedigree.

Siorac

Unfortunately, the things that would put serious pressure on them are simply not possible during the pandemic. Match day boycott, mass demonstrations around Old Trafford - these things are impossible but these are the highly visible measures that cannot be ignored. Imagine if fans were allowed back in the stadiums and United fans collectively decided not to bother. Never going to happen but that would be powerful.

Until then, yeah, social media campaigns and don't buy merchandising.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Just be ready for when matches come back. We probably have months to plan. Unfollow all official platforms. Get all supporters platforms signing from the same hymn sheet. Reddit, here, Twitter and get something going. Seriously, feck these guys. It’s like giving a monkey a gun at this stage
As hollow and effortless as the idea sounds, I genuinely think a trending # can do a lot of damage on social media. Journalists pick the discontent up quite quickly that way, where momentum can then be kicked on to on other mediums

clarkydaz

Yeah, the mass walkout would be good. If that could be organised, but difficult.
Also, maybe a crowdfunding campaign where everyone is refunded, to show how many United fans around the world are willing to put their money on the line to buy a chunk of the club.
Could influencers reach out to the likes of Jim Ratcliffe stating that fans would like to go halves with him on buying the club? Beckham, Neville and co? The red knights group?
i got an email from i think MUST about the walkout on 58 minutes. it was all a bit rushed close before the game, but it was certainly being considered among the matchgoers. A few people actually did walk but was clearly awkward for the occasion

Bubz27

We're probably the most watched sports team in the world. Companies care about exposure so we will probably get a great deal
Surely this can only carry on for a set amount of time before we become less relevant.

There are 10 year olds now who'll never have remembered United even challenging for a league title.

VanGaalyTime

The protests need to start again and they need to get nasty. You might argue the Glazers don’t care and you may be right, but what it does do is generate a very hostile and toxic narrative around the club, something sponsors I’m sure won’t be too fond of. That has the potential to hurt them financially.

We also need to directly hurt them financially. For the love of all that his holy, stop buying official club merch - If you really must get your toddler a kit for Christmas then there’s plenty of convincing fakes to buy online, or better yet buy a classic retro jersey.
Exactly. One negative is that we're a global team. But that's also a positive. We can also protest in Tampa. We can go after their businesses around the globe. Go after sponsors. Let's dig into them and find out as much as possible about Glazers and Woodward. No violence needed. We can change the narrative.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Surely this can only carry on for a set amount of time before we become less relevant.

There are 10 year olds now who'll never have remembered United even challenging for a league title.
Yes, but that's at least a decade away.
Liverpool were shit for most of the last 3 decades and still had a massive worldwide following. I just hope it doesn't take us as long to become good again.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
As hollow and effortless as the idea sounds, I genuinely think a trending # can do a lot of damage on social media. Journalists pick the discontent up quite quickly that way, where momentum can then be kicked on to on other mediums
I understand everyone is tired and confused with the boom bust nature of things at the club but if we were truly organised to that extent that would be big step in the right direction. The club are just going to paint the fans as “emotional” and the club are “relaxed” about the constant failures. Something has to give. Small steps could turn into something a lot bigger. I’ve unfollowed utd across the platforms and won’t be going back. I’m Irish and I’ve been to matches up to recently enough. I won’t be spending my cash at OT again until something big changes behind the scenes.

The Irish Connection

i got an email from i think MUST about the walkout on 58 minutes. it was all a bit rushed close before the game, but it was certainly being considered among the matchgoers. A few people actually did walk but was clearly awkward for the occasion
Yeah, if they put serious effort into spreading the word it could work. Unfortunately, there are all different types of fans in the stadium on any given match day, as you know, many who are there for the first time and it’s a day out, so it’s difficult.

El Zoido

Excuse me for being old and cynical but we can’t stop it. Get more ex-players to speak out, perhaps. This would keep it in the public eye at least, but as soon as performances pick up (and they will), any complaints will dissipate. Maybe you’d better hope we take a few more big beatings like yesterday.

As far as I’m concerned the only way this ends is when we drop far enough that they just want to cash in, or if they get bored. No amount of protesting will work.

BR7

Start off by saying it’s a nice change we’re not talking about ole. The glazers are blood sucking leaches. The biggest crime here was the sports minister at the time who authorised the sale of the club to be bought by debt and for the debt to be ladened on the club. I’m pretty sure the sports minister at the time got involved, could be wrong. The sports minister at the time (if I’m right) needs to be included in a fan writ for authorising the biggest football club in England to be bought by debt.
We also need to start a funding page and we all need to donate to it (those who can) and have a plane flying over every home game with a Woodward out banner. That will do it I think as long as we do it every home game eventually the glazers will have to get rid of him. His only use, which is making money will dry up soon enough. He is in just as difficult a position as ole and ole will take the fall. We just have to make sure Woodward’s gone as well. Can we start a go fund me type page? If so let the entire caf know and we’ll start chipping in. I for one guarantee I will put money in that pot.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
When the stadium re-opens, hold up banners for Nike, Mercedes and every other rival to our sponsors.
Woodward will likely get a phone calls from the sponsors within minutes, to ask what the hell is going on.

Zen86

Excuse me for being old and cynical but we can’t stop it. Get more ex-players to speak out, perhaps. This would keep it in the public eye at least, but as soon as performances pick up (and they will), any complaints will dissipate. Maybe you’d better hope we take a few more big beatings like yesterday.

As far as I’m concerned the only way this ends is when we drop far enough that they just want to cash in, or if they get bored. No amount of protesting will work.
Yep, a Sancho size transfer and this thread disappears overnight. We’ve seen it time and time again. Once the pressure mounts, just dangle a shiny new toy to keep the masses at bay.

diarm

A petition outlining a willingness to boycott anyone sponsoring United would be a good start. If we could get a few hundred thousand signatures on such a letter, that we could then send to Adidas, Chevrolet, Kohler, Aon and the rest, that could begin to put some pressure on them in the only place they care about. The club claims to have 650 million fans worldwide and they use those boasts to help secure big commercial deals - let's start using those numbers against them.

diarm

Yep, a Sancho size transfer and this thread disappears overnight. We’ve seen it time and time again. Once the pressure mounts, just dangle a shiny new toy to keep the masses at bay.
Well that sort of signing isn't going to happen today, so we have a 3 month window at least in which to build some momentum.

United Hobbit

I just wish yesterday's "performance" had happened in front of a full Old Trafford. That would have been VERY interesting to see what the crowd did, especially as Ed was there and with the cauldron already bubbling over the shambolic transfer window...

Bubz27

Yes, but that's at least a decade away.
Liverpool were shit for most of the last 3 decades and still had a massive worldwide following. I just hope it doesn't take us as long to become good again.
Yeah but they weren't securing any record breaking deals or close to it. New Balance and feckint Warrior sponsored them until not long ago.

And it's clear the Glazers care about the money sponsors bring in. I think, or am very hopeful, that sponsors will not be offering us record breaking deals next time round and this might do something to the Glazers. Might.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
To think that the difference between this and peace on earth was paying 120m for Jadon Sancho.

youngrell

I don't think you can make a dent on the commercial side because it's impossible to control other people's spending habits and to even get the message across the globe.

The only possible action would be boycotting OT when fans are allowed back. When that will be, who knows. But a more regional approach such as that is more achievable and will also create headlines as it's visible.

sunama

Baghdad Bob

Bizarrely, even though we haven't won a title for 8 years, we are still watched by a big audience. This is why sponsors pay to advertise their brand name with us.
You seem to think that we will become less relevant - I've heard this a lot - but so far this has not happened and in say 15 years it does happen, The Glazers will sell up and move on. But until then, we will remain relevant and The Glazers will stay.

Bubz27

Bizarrely, even though we haven't won a title for 8 years, we are still watched by a big audience. This is why sponsors pay to advertise their brand name with us.
You seem to think that we will become less relevant - I've heard this a lot - but so far this has not happened and in say 15 years it does happen, The Glazers will sell up and move on. But until then, we will remain relevant and The Glazers will stay.
We'll just have to wait and see. Why did Adidas have the CL clause though? If we'll be watched anyway, why does CL qualification matter?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
To think that the difference between this and peace on earth was paying 120m for Jadon Sancho.
It really wasn't. incredibly naive to think it was down to that. We were fecked before and were fecked even if he joined.