Film Fantastic lessons about art from Ratatouille's amazing ending

matbezlima

I love the evolution of Ego. He is a bitter and extremely demanding culinary critic who accepts nothing but the extraordinary. In his own words: "I don't like food, I love it and what I don't love, I don't smallow!". He takes the art and technical craft of culinary extremely seriously and critically and that's why he disdains of Gusteau's motto "anyone can cook". He is also such a respected critic that his reviews can single-handedly make or break a restaurant's reputation. He is easily the most feared critic by all chiefs in France.

What we should learn from this film's fantastic ending is, above all, to never forget the primal feeling of bliss, delight and pleasure in art in my opinion. Rémy serves Ego ratatouille, a peasant's dish. Ego tastes it and evokes memories of his mother's cooking. Ego loves the ratatouille and proceeds to eat it with a big smile on his face and ends up disregarding his pencil and notes' block that he was previously ready to write in and probably make all sorts of extreme scrutiny of every small detail of the food. Ego had a point before in demanding utmost excellence, but he mistook that for threatening the artist and allowed himself to become too cynical and bitter. But from this moment on, that changed and exactly because of how much he values excellence and is passionate about it.

So, here is Ratatouille's full ending. Let's learn from that. Of course, it becomes even more impactful after watching the whole film, Ratatouille is a film that has total sincerity and heart from start to end. And really thoughtful. In a somewhat unrelated note, I think that this is the only instance of a great climax and ending in a Pixar film without some sort of action and chase scene, which became a trite and uninspired cliché in many Pixar films. They seem to have trouble in making different kinds of climaxes.

Also, this wonderful video essay about Ratatouille's lessons about art and art critique. It's in portuguese, but I think that the automatic subtitles translated to english seem to be serviceable.

Also, I love the scene from the film in which Gusteau says that anyone can cook, but only the fearless can reach greatness, the people who don't let others tell their limits based on their origin. Your own soul is the only limit.

This is Anton Ego's review in the ending and I freaking love it.

Anton Ego: In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations. The new needs friends. Last night, I experienced something new: an extraordinary meal from a singularly unexpected source. To say that both the meal and its maker have challenged my preconceptions about fine cooking is a gross understatement. They have rocked me to my core. In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto, "Anyone can cook." But I realize, only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist; but a great artist can come from anywhere. It is difficult to imagine more humble origins than those of the genius now cooking at Gusteau's, who is, in this critic's opinion, nothing less than the finest chef in France. I will be returning to Gusteau's soon, hungry for more.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I also love the fact that the room he works in is shaped like a coffin (suggesting he's dead inside) and his being transported back to his childhood when he takes a bite of the food references Proust. Pretty typical of Pixar to have that depth and complexity in such a superficially simple story. Great film.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
One of my favourite animated films. My kids and I have watched that one loads. One of the most good hearted films ever!

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
My kids love this film, it's a great example of how a story so surreal (rat becomes chef) translates into a film with depth and meaning and that seems so 'normal'!

The best Pixar film undoubtedly.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Nah. Brad Bird is a weirdo. He's like this creepy Calvinist aesthete, glorifying and condemning his characters through predestination.

Hoof the ball

Fantastic thread. Matbezlima is well on his way to being in the running for poster of the year at this rate. Just the sheer effort, presentation and detail on almost all his threads are great.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Ooohhh, big call.

Inside Out, Wall-E, Finding Nemo and Toy Story (maybe even Toy Story 2 as well) are all equal to, if not better than, Ratatouille... and I’m a huge Ratatouille fan.
It's a big call ...but one I'm keen to shout from the rooftops

Always thought Wall-E was a hipsters film, one to appease the art lovers, when really Ratatouille was the true art house film of the lot.
Toy story has aged badly in my opinion, seems twee now.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

Always thought Wall-E was a hipsters film, one to appease the art lovers, when really Ratatouille was the true art house film of the lot.
Still better than Finding Nemo though.

matbezlima

Disagree, it's nowhere near as basic as Walt-era Disney classics and those Disney classics are still great in many perspectives.

Also, the first 40 minutes of Wall-E are probably Pixar's artistical pinnacle.

OleBoiii

I wasn't a huge fan of the film, but I loved the ending. Great writing.

I wholeheartedly agree with the message. I don't think it's wrong to dislike a creation. I don't even think that it's wrong to mock it. But be aware that what you just criticized probably is the result of hard work and honest effort. Also: not everyone may agree with your opinion. As a critic you are essentially just a tastemaker. There are no clear cut objective standards, and if there was, then you would not have a job.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I wasn't a huge fan of the film, but I loved the ending. Great writing.

I wholeheartedly agree with the message. I don't think it's wrong to dislike a creation. I don't even think that it's wrong to mock it. But be aware that what you just criticized probably is the result of hard work and honest effort. Also: not everyone may agree with your opinion. As a critic you are essentially just a tastemaker. There are no clear cut objective standards, and if there was, then you would not have a job.
I agree with this to be honest. I rewatched the film last night having read this thread, and I felt similarly about the film as I did when I first watched it:

- The film didn't charm me as much as other Pixar films have. I found Remi, his brother and his wider family not particularly entertaining company early on, but the setting-up of his highly trained nose and sense of artistry is well done, as is the foreshadowing of the family v passion conflict that comes later
- However once we meet Linguini he is an absolute pain in the arse; irritating voice, foolish character, parachuted into the kitchen because of who his mother and father are. OK he works his way from the very bottom, based on a morally good decision he takes to spare Remi's life, but again I didn't find him charming or funny and didn't care when he was up and when he was down
- Not being fully engaged with the drama led me to continually question the ridiculousness of the premise, but while a rat who has somehow managed to cook better than anybody in Paris is one thing the mechanics of how he controls Linguini by grabbing his hair and turns into a master puppeteer overnight took me even further away from engagement with the story. I'm aware suspension of disbelief is a must during any Disney/Pixar but the fact I kept coming back to the wobbly mechanics of the whole thing was a sure sign I was disengaged from the drama
- I like Colette's character, but again didn't buy the romance between her and Linguini. Obviously there are shades of Aladdin/Jasmine going on, and as an adult I must admit I find Jasmine trusting Prince Ali for a carpet ride after he's been pretty much a total prick all the time they've been together jarring, but I had much more trouble believing Colette would fall for this particular snivelling tit in these circumstances
- Anton Ego is a fine villain, and as the OP said it is refreshing that his 'defeat' comes not from an action set piece but from an awakening brought about by a reconnection with artistry. A nice touch and a very engaging ending in spite of me struggling with most of the rest of the film

So overall not one of my favourites. For me Pixar's masterpiece is Up, a film that emotionally pummels me within the first 10-15 minutes, sells me a floating house and talking dogs and makes me understand each of the characters' motivations in ways very few films manage.

Last edited:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Put 5 people in a room and you'll get 4 or 5 different answers about best Pixar film, which speaks volumes about the quality that they've produced but also makes any argument about which is one is best unwinnable, but worth having all the same.

Ratatouille is my personal favourite. I've seen it a few times now, my kids adore it, and its probably the one that I most often end up watching to the finish if I happen to stumble across it. For me it has the most original and satisfying ending of a Pixar film.

Great OP by the way

diarm

Yeah great thread and a wonderful movie!

I made the ratatouille (it's called confit byaldi) from the film a couple of months ago and it was unbelievable - there are a few great recipes for it on youtube.