Fantasy Football 2017/18

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Eurgh, wanting to wait till after the international break but with both Mooy and Alli looking likely to drop my hand might be forced. Annoying thing is both have decent fixtures next and could score well.

IrishRedDevil

I might have to contradict everything I said yesterday :lol:

Morata is about to drop in price tonight and Jesus will rise at least another 0.1 before the next game. Silva is about to rise also and I wanted him as well. If I wait any longer I'll be priced out.

Price changes are a killer.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I might have to contradict everything I said yesterday :lol:

Morata is about to drop in price tonight and Jesus will rise at least another 0.1 before the next game. Silva is about to rise also and I wanted him as well. If I wait any longer I'll be priced out.

Price changes are a killer.
Who are you going for Silva?

I'm thinking of selling Mkhi so will probably go Sterling (can't afford Silva).

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
The price change mechanic doesn’t sit that well with me. Being so reactionary isn’t a good thing but because everyone else does it you’re forced into the same thing or you face being priced out.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Is Alli going down in price? Balls... Wanted to keep him one more have them switch him for hazard

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Tempted to wildcard, but only real player that looks essential to bring in is Jesus. Silva/Sterling/Sane could be decent, with 2 easy homes up next. Could rotate though, and who to take out?

Kane-Lukaku-Firminho up front
Salah-Eriksen mid
B Davies, De Gea in the back 5.

Only real problems are Redmond doing nothing, and the 2x4.5m mids, but you don't expect much of them anyway.
Firminho could easily get amongst the points playing most games up front for Pool, and taking Eriksen out for a home to Bournemouth could be dangerous, even with the early Wembley jinx. They hadn't smashed 2 teams away before their last home game though

May do Salah to Silva tonight to get Silva's rise. But may just as likely leave it and see how we sit in 12 days time!

IrishRedDevil

Who are you going for Silva?

I'm thinking of selling Mkhi so will probably go Sterling (can't afford Silva).
I'm thinking about selling Mkhitaryan for Silva. Sterling is also an option I'm just concerned about him being rotated, but probably not with Aguero out.

To make it and Jesus possible I'll have to sell Cedric for Ward (Burnley). Annoyingly he raised 0.1 to 4.6 last night also. Seems to be a good option at that price though as Burnley are doing ok as a unit.

All this makes me think I should have just wildcarded yesterday and saved myself the -4 hit.

coolredwine

lameredboots
I'm thinking about selling Mkhitaryan for Silva. Sterling is also an option I'm just concerned about him being rotated, but probably not with Aguero out.

To make it and Jesus possible I'll have to sell Cedric for Ward (Burnley). Annoyingly he raised 0.1 to 4.6 last night also. Seems to be a good option at that price though as Burnley are doing ok as a unit.

All this makes me think I should have just wildcarded yesterday and saved myself the -4 hit.
Wildcard just to protect the -4 hit isn't such a good idea, imo.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands

All hits get cancelled out when you wildcard :)

Edit: Agree with the above that you should not wildcard to save a -4, but it sounds like you are looking at another three or four transfers which would be a -16 to -20 which is worth a wildcard.

IrishRedDevil

All hits get cancelled out when you wildcard :)

Edit: Agree with the above that you should not wildcard to save a -4, but it sounds like you are looking at another three or four transfers which would be a -16 to -20 which is worth a wildcard.
Really? Even though I confirmed the -4 last night with 2 transfers?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Thanks for that, I had no idea.

Big decision time before bed then :lol:

Hate the thought of using wildcard so early though as I was very happy with my team before that damn Morata injury.
It isn’t really that early considering you get another one in January. The right time to play a wildcard is totally individual.

coolredwine

lameredboots
I still don't understand how the price rises work though.

Look at Kane for example. Before GW4, his price was 12.4. After GW4, he had a net change of 207,021. His price remained at 12.4. For GW5, he scored 2 points and had a net change of -149,834. Yet, his price went up by 0.1. Then, after GW6, he had a net change of 292,373. And again, his price went up by 0.1 to reach 12.6. And he is at 12.7 already, and it's only been 3 days since he last played.

IrishRedDevil

My new team;

......................Foster
.... Davies ...... Jones ...... Ward
D.Silva .. Salah .. Ritchie .. Richarlison
..... Kane ...... Lukaku ...... Jesus

Time to log off for 2 weeks and stop overthinking :lol:

IrishRedDevil

Tempted to wildcard, but only real player that looks essential to bring in is Jesus. Silva/Sterling/Sane could be decent, with 2 easy homes up next. Could rotate though, and who to take out?

Kane-Lukaku-Firminho up front
Salah-Eriksen mid
B Davies, De Gea in the back 5.

Only real problems are Redmond doing nothing, and the 2x4.5m mids, but you don't expect much of them anyway.
Firminho could easily get amongst the points playing most games up front for Pool, and taking Eriksen out for a home to Bournemouth could be dangerous, even with the early Wembley jinx. They hadn't smashed 2 teams away before their last home game though

May do Salah to Silva tonight to get Silva's rise. But may just as likely leave it and see how we sit in 12 days time!
I kept Redmond for 5 weeks and he done nothing despite easy fixtures so I dumped him and went with Richarlison.
If I was you I'd keep Salah, or change him to Coutinho who will rise tonight.
The other is possibly Vardy for Firmino, if you don't want to double on the Liverpool attack since it's misfiring.

SirMattBugsby

I think you should sit tight, keep the team you have for now and WC instead after GW 12 when fixtures start to turn. If necessary, do Mkhi to Silva but that's it.

No point trying to get Jesus for possibly two weeks if he costs you so many points.

IrishRedDevil

I think you should sit tight, keep the team you have for now and WC instead after GW 12 when fixtures start to turn. If necessary, do Mkhi to Silva but that's it.

No point trying to get Jesus for possibly two weeks if he costs you so many points.
Too late. See post above.

I sold it to myself using this logic...at a pure guess I think Morata will be out for 4 weeks (based on nothing, but a hamstring seems to be 4-6 weeks), so he will miss at least 2 games after the international break scoring 0 points. If Jesus does the bare minimum in those 2 games he will score 2 in each game, so 4 points in total. The change cost me -8 but really it'll be -4 if Jesus plays both games, and he should since Aguero is out. Also if he scores or assists v Stoke or Burnley, both at home, I'll have cleared the -8.

*Sits back and watches my plan implode* :lol:

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Too late. See post above.

I sold it to myself using this logic...at a pure guess I think Morata will be out for 4 weeks (based on nothing, but a hamstring seems to be 4-6 weeks), so he will miss at least 2 games after the international break scoring 0 points. If Jesus does the bare minimum in those 2 games he will score 2 in each game, so 4 points in total. The change cost me -8 but really it'll be -4 if Jesus plays both games, and he should since Aguero is out. Also if he scores or assists v Stoke or Burnley, both at home, I'll have cleared the -8.

*Sits back and watches my plan implode* :lol:
That's a no brainer IMO

You can't have a 10mil+ striker on the bench for two / three game weeks scoring zero points while Jesus plays Stoke (H) Burnley (H) and West Brom (A). He could realistically get 30 points in those three games.

SirMattBugsby

Eurgh, wanting to wait till after the international break but with both Mooy and Alli looking likely to drop my hand might be forced. Annoying thing is both have decent fixtures next and could score well.
The price change mechanic doesn’t sit that well with me. Being so reactionary isn’t a good thing but because everyone else does it you’re forced into the same thing or you face being priced out.
Market forces guys.. Either show faith or go with the flow. I'd personally keep Alli if I had him and didn't have Kane.

It's wildcard season so these numbers are not completely reliable.
I was thinking the same. There must be WCers who'll be buying just to get a double rise and then sell. If that is the case, their purchases ideally shouldn't be counted. They are creating an artificial demand, which is illegal in stock exchange.

VivaJanuzaj

Need thoughts on two wildcard options, with Liverpool, United & Spurs on tough fixtures next While Arsenal, City, Chelsea & Leicester have easy runs. I'm pretty set on the attacking spine of Hazard-Vardy-Jesus-Lukaku and thinking of how to build around it:
Option 1: The Alexis option:
Getting Alexis to bolster that attacking spine, will result in a fairly low amount of money put in my backline and supporting cast, but I feel I can get decent players with it.

Option 2: Heavy at the back:
Defenders have been getting many points this far, and I can invest heavy in top defenders who are supposed to get big points, making the midfield a bit weaker but with solid good fixtured budget options:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Need thoughts on two wildcard options, with Liverpool, United & Spurs on tough fixtures next While Arsenal, City, Chelsea & Leicester have easy runs. I'm pretty set on the attacking spine of Hazard-Vardy-Jesus-Lukaku and thinking of how to build around it:
Option 1: The Alexis option:
Getting Alexis to bolster that attacking spine, will result in a fairly low amount of money put in my backline and supporting cast, but I feel I can get decent players with it.

Option 2: Heavy at the back:
Defenders have been getting many points this far, and I can invest heavy in top defenders who are supposed to get big points, making the midfield a bit weaker but with solid good fixtured budget options:
Option 2

Edit: just saw it again, why don't you balance it out. You don't need Alonso and Walker. Get average defenders like Daniels then upgrade MF a bit.

Last edited:

ROFLUTION

Players in my current team who have risen by 0.2 or more are: Mkhi (0.5), Salah (0.2), Grob (0.2), Kane (0.3), Morata (0.4), Davies (0.2).

Then Jones, Naughton, Ritchie, Lukaku have all risen by (0.1).

So that is an increase of 2.2m just on current players.

Then in terms of players I have sold I have banked (which is the much more important part when it comes to value) 0.1m from: Firmino, Aguero, Bailly and Lukaku.

That is the other 0.4.
Nice. Any strategies on when you bank/swap them out? Id think it would compromise ones points too? If for instance Aguero is peaking and have a good run of futures ahead

I use fantasyfootballfix myself - good little tool

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Nice. Any strategies on when you bank/swap them out? Id think it would compromise ones points too? If for instance Aguero is peaking and have a good run of futures ahead

I use fantasyfootballfix myself - good little tool
Yeah I use fplstatistics to keep track of price changes.

No overall strategy as such, I just make sure to keep an eye on price changes and factor it into my approach. As an example, when I decided I wanted to go with three premium strikers (nothing to do with price changes I just think that is the best point-scoring strategy this year) then I had to downgrade Alli to a cheap midfielder - when I was looking who to pick it was clear that Grob was going to rise by at least 0.2 in the coming weeks and that was one of the main factors in selecting him.

My likely strategy with that 4th midfielder is to downgrade them to Loftus-Cheek and run two 4.5m in midfield (to try and bolster with wingback defenders like Alonso) - so the fact that Grob was going to rise and make some money was a factor. In terms of Loftus-Cheek, he is another good example of price rises influencing strategy as I expect him to drop to 4.4m at given Palace's fixtures, which is when I would look to pick him up. Long term I think he'll be a solid fantasy asset and should start generating some points, in which case he should rise in value long term (and will be good value as a purchase at 4.4).

ROFLUTION

Yeah I use fplstatistics to keep track of price changes.

No overall strategy as such, I just make sure to keep an eye on price changes and factor it into my approach. As an example, when I decided I wanted to go with three premium strikers (nothing to do with price changes I just think that is the best point-scoring strategy this year) then I had to downgrade Alli to a cheap midfielder - when I was looking who to pick it was clear that Grob was going to rise by at least 0.2 in the coming weeks and that was one of the main factors in selecting him.

My likely strategy with that 4th midfielder is to downgrade them to Loftus-Cheek and run two 4.5m in midfield (to try and bolster with wingback defenders like Alonso) - so the fact that Grob was going to rise and make some money was a factor. In terms of Loftus-Cheek, he is another good example of price rises influencing strategy as I expect him to drop to 4.4m at given Palace's fixtures, which is when I would look to pick him up. Long term I think he'll be a solid fantasy asset and should start generating some points, in which case he should rise in value long term (and will be good value as a purchase at 4.4).
Nice. I run the same strategy myself with two low budget midfielders. My strategy was to emulate that of last year's winner. Only changing players every second week to save up two transfers. That mixed with being patient with underperformers (Alli, but subbed De Bruyne earlier) mixed with having two midtable teams that I can rotate between, West Bromwich + Newcastle.

Not completely following it anymore, as I've tried to buy players due to upcoming price-changes; Davies, Otamendi, Naughton. But it seems I'm in a good spot so far with money and squad.

Foster - Elliot
Otamendi - Hegazi - Davies - Naughton - Moreno
Fellaini - David Silva-Alli - Loftus Cheek - Field
Lukaku - Kane - Jesus

Total squad value: 101.9

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I kept Redmond for 5 weeks and he done nothing despite easy fixtures so I dumped him and went with Richarlison.
If I was you I'd keep Salah, or change him to Coutinho who will rise tonight.
The other is possibly Vardy for Firmino, if you don't want to double on the Liverpool attack since it's misfiring.
Yep. Sound sensible.
I think i'll hold my wildcard unless some injuries occur.

It's a long game, and Salah or Eriksen out now I think would be dangerous. Firminho too.

If no injuries, Redmond is the biggest challenge, so to either your Watford man, the other Watford guy who is 5.3m, but who plays deeper, or even Atsu at 5.1m

Until Sanchez, Hazard, Pogba and Aguero are back in the mix, the wildcard might be very useful!
Will just have to hope City don't go ape v Stoke next up.

SteveTheRed

Just gone with the swap of Morata to Jesus. Messed up waiting for the transfer so lost 0.1m :annoyed:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not sure how many transfers I made this season. I'm finding it difficult to settle with a team. Added Morata and then traded him for Aguero. Morata scored Hat trick, Aguero also got decent points. Then Aguero was injured, so added Jesus. Now Morata is injured, so I said feck you all and went with Lukaku, Kane and Wood.

SteveTheRed

:D I have Jesus from GW 1 so lost the 0.1 on him twice and got it back twice already :lol:
I forgot that I bought Morata at 10.2 and had made profit. Hoping Jesus can be the main man at City for at least 3-4 GW's.

I think a very smart move might be bring in Sterling if you want to take a punt, I think pep will line up with them two both as strikers

VivaJanuzaj

I forgot that I bought Morata at 10.2 and had made profit. Hoping Jesus can be the main man at City for at least 3-4 GW's.

I think a very smart move might be bring in Sterling if you want to take a punt, I think pep will line up with them two both as strikers
Yeah seriously considering it on a wildcard

ROFLUTION

First season in FPL - How does the wildcard work?:

If I use it now and buy Kolasinac, Countinho, Fabianski before they rise in price in a few days, will I then be able to transfer them out again before this gameweek starts and NOT deduct points?

Or in other words: Do I have unlimited free transfers all the way to the gameweek's start, or just this one time I make the big swap-around?

AgentP

I brought in Sane and Sterling for Mkhi and Alli taking a 4-point hit. I'm pretty sure it won't work out so regretting it now! Should have just brought in one City player but couldn't choose which one.