Fantasy Premier League 21/22

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Watkins in then.
He hurt us all so bad last season, missing all those Grealish assists and I'm not quite sure why he's suddenly such a hot choice, even with only 5 games on!
Just because he touched a ball someone did worldly magic with after, and then tapped a 2 yard goal in later :D

However, crap opponent at home, 3pm game so it'll be actually on, and that'll have to be enough this game week!

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Let’s not pretend there’s any skill in a lot of this.
Antonio to Watkins and Dalot to Tierney for a -4?

I’ve only got 7 at the moment, so I think I’ll have to take a hit. I’m worried that I already have ESR and I’m trying to avoid doubling up, but I’m struggling to see any other options.
This gives me a chance to explain why I believe chaos is a ladder. You're right in terms of how late, random postponements are luck based. There is little skill involved there. But there is a lot of skill involved in how you react to the subsequent blank and DGWs.

You've got 7 players and you're debating whether to take a hit or not. For me that's madness. This GW features the top 3 teams plus budget friendly teams like Arsenal and Villa. Question shouldn't be if you should take a hit but how many hits you should take.

Hits effectively only cost -2 if you’re unable to field 11 players. If I had 7 players this GW I would take minimum a -8, possibly even a -12 if it could make sense in terms of budget/nailedness/fixtures. Let's say you take a -8 for 3 players. They'll fetch you 6 appearance points you didn't have to begin with. That means the hits are more or less paid off by appearance points alone. Any returns from any of those 3 players means you've profited from your transfers.

Of course, this depends on nailedness of the players you're buying. Tierney is a slight risk imo, always seems to have his minutes managed and games are coming thick and fast. I'd therefore prefer White in this scenario. Tierney is a luxury you can afford if you've got a full bench available.

There is also the chance of more late postponements. But FPL is about taking calculated risks. Being passive won't take you anywhere.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
It was sod's law for me last week as 2 players had one game bans, coinciding with losing 2 from the Utd call off and Townsend suddenly being out with a foot injury. You can't legislate for that ridiculous mix of things.
From the -8, Dennis was called off, Bilva 1 point in a smashfest game and Rudiger conceded qgagainsEverton's youth team.

However, Watkins in now meaning a full 11 on paper.

Cue 7 starting!!
Honestly last week I brought Dennis in for injured Toney. Then United Brentford called off where I had another 4 players excluding Toney.

On top of that had Cancelo suspended, Hwang injured after 15 and Guaita not playing.

And then this week I had Guaita, Sanchez, Fred, Gallagher, Dennis, Hwang, Ronaldo all out.

Took the -8 gamble though. If Ramsdale can clean sheet then it will pay off.

Had a temptation to go Ronaldo to Kane but with Ronaldos upcoming fixtures I’d want him back in next week so really not worth it for an out of form Kane.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Honestly last week I brought Dennis in for injured Toney. Then United Brentford called off where I had another 4 players excluding Toney.

On top of that had Cancelo suspended, Hwang injured after 15 and Guaita not playing.

And then this week I had Guaita, Sanchez, Fred, Gallagher, Dennis, Hwang, Ronaldo all out.

Took the -8 gamble though. If Ramsdale can clean sheet then it will pay off.

Had a temptation to go Ronaldo to Kane but with Ronaldos upcoming fixtures I’d want him back in next week so really not worth it for an out of form Kane.
I was paro the big Ronaldo signing with the run of games, but now I am wondering if 3 decent choices up front, 4 strong mids and 4 huge defenders, and a good 5th choice in Dalot might mean more points in sheer strength around the team.
You need Ronaldo to get double digit hauls really to make it worthwhile, as otherwise a 6 or so pointer can easily be covered and bettered by the other guys around the team.

Because of this scenario, and Kane being a bust so far, plus De Bruyne not looking totally essential just yet (good haul last week, but not frequent), it's almost the first season I can remember of having money sloshing around!

If Ronaldo, Kane, Bruno, Sterling, De Bruyne, Lukaku or one of Chelsea's expensive mids start blazing it, we'll really have a wide open game!

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
The above post doesn’t consider yellow cards and -1 for conceding 2 goals though.
It’s all about calculated risk though. If you’re bringing in Shelvey or Darlow against City then yeah you may get deductions for those things.

But if you’re bringing in Chelsea players against a Wolves side with Jimenez and Hwang out and their only real attacking threat being Traore with 0 goals and assists; then chances are you’re gonna get some clean sheet bonuses.

saivet

Going to bring Watkins in now, surely that game won't be called off. There is the temptation to bring in a Villa defender as well for a -4 but with Ramsey already, triple of any team probably isn't wise.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
This gives me a chance to explain why I believe chaos is a ladder. You're right in terms of how late, random postponements are luck based. There is little skill involved there. But there is a lot of skill involved in how you react to the subsequent blank and DGWs.

You've got 7 players and you're debating whether to take a hit or not. For me that's madness. This GW features the top 3 teams plus budget friendly teams like Arsenal and Villa. Question shouldn't be if you should take a hit but how many hits you should take.

Hits effectively only cost -2 if you’re unable to field 11 players. If I had 7 players this GW I would take minimum a -8, possibly even a -12 if it could make sense in terms of budget/nailedness/fixtures. Let's say you take a -8 for 3 players. They'll fetch you 6 appearance points you didn't have to begin with. That means the hits are more or less paid off by appearance points alone. Any returns from any of those 3 players means you've profited from your transfers.

Of course, this depends on nailedness of the players you're buying. Tierney is a slight risk imo, always seems to have his minutes managed and games are coming thick and fast. I'd therefore prefer White in this scenario. Tierney is a luxury you can afford if you've got a full bench available.

There is also the chance of more late postponements. But FPL is about taking calculated risks. Being passive won't take you anywhere.
I think it’s more complex than that. Every hit is a -4 for a single player. For every hit, I think you have to be convinced that you’ll earn > 4 additional points from making that transfer.

With the exception of getting in a premium player who returns in every other game, I therefore don’t think hits are worthwhile in the majority of cases.

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
I was paro the big Ronaldo signing with the run of games, but now I am wondering if 3 decent choices up front, 4 strong mids and 4 huge defenders, and a good 5th choice in Dalot might mean more points in sheer strength around the team.
You need Ronaldo to get double digit hauls really to make it worthwhile, as otherwise a 6 or so pointer can easily be covered and bettered by the other guys around the team.

Because of this scenario, and Kane being a bust so far, plus De Bruyne not looking totally essential just yet (good haul last week, but not frequent), it's almost the first season I can remember of having money sloshing around!

If Ronaldo, Kane, Bruno, Sterling, De Bruyne, Lukaku or one of Chelsea's expensive mids start blazing it, we'll really have a wide open game!
I was exploring the option of switching Ronaldo this week but there just isn’t good alternatives right now. And like you said with the upcoming fixtures I just think it would be foolish to get rid of him just yet even if he is wasting on the bench.

At the end of the day aside from Salah none of the other 10 million plus players are hitting double figures every week and he’ll hopefully go to AFCON soon.

Harry Kane is long overdue a run of form though and I think a few weeks rest will have done him good. If they weren’t playing Liverpool this week I would have been tempted.

Dan_F

Appreciate the feedback. I was more worried about bringing in another Arsenal player, rather than taking a -4.

I got stung already by transferring in Ronaldo and Dalot for a -4 two weeks ago, both of whom played one game then ended up missing two. Now I’m looking at taking Dalot out so I’ve effectively taken a -8 to transfer Dalot in and out in the space of three weeks. Absolutely nothing to do with skill or decision making.

I don’t think it’s as black and white as you’re making out and honestly I think anyone considering a -12 is mental. You could end up with City, Chelsea off next week and need another -12.

Now all I need to do is mull over Tierney or Tomy.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Guaranteed 90 minutes man and cheaper White vs the more explosive but less secure Tierney?

Please someone help. I can't decide.

kps88

Might actually get white now haha
I went from Cash to Tierney to Davies and am now leaning towards White. Tierney excites me the most but I feel like there is a small chance he gets rested for Tavares and I can't risk taking a hit for a non playing player.

IrishRedDevil

Can’t believe Watkins is up 0.2 this week. People have feck all patience. Paying even more for a transfer I don’t want.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I went from Cash to Tierney to Davies and am now leaning towards White. Tierney excites me the most but I feel like there is a small chance he gets rested for Tavares and I can't risk taking a hit for a non playing player.
Thanks mate. Might just go safe with white

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Guaranteed 90 minutes man and cheaper White vs the more explosive but less secure Tierney?

Definitely White. KT can’t stay fit and I’d expect to be rotated over the Christmas fixtures. White has played every minute since the start of September.

Tomiyasu would be another option, position is similarly secure.

Dan_F

I’m in the same position. Tomiyasu is a bit more exciting than White as well, but I just can’t help thinking that if Tierney plays in the next two he could return big. Week gap between the fixtures too.

DannyDash

Is De Bruyne definitely nailed on to play tmrw? Mentioned that hes still feeling covid effects

TheGerz

Supports
rangers
It’s all about calculated risk though. If you’re bringing in Shelvey or Darlow against City then yeah you may get deductions for those things.

But if you’re bringing in Chelsea players against a Wolves side with Jimenez and Hwang out and their only real attacking threat being Traore with 0 goals and assists; then chances are you’re gonna get some clean sheet bonuses.
Jimenez is available?

IrishRedDevil

No love for Wolves defenders? Coady is 4.5.

I know they have a rough fixture run but they have kept 4 clean sheets in 6. The 2 clean sheets they lost was 1-0 to a City penalty and 1-0 to Liverpool in the 94th minute.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Wouldn't mind Villa off. Only game I don't have players in and I'd still have 11 players if the other games go ahead.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That is a shocker. To thought it seemed the only safe game as it was the first one!

Takes me down to 9 with Brownhill too and had lashed my extra cash into Watkins so can't upgrade elsewhere really now.

Suck it up with 9 men? Or risk -4 to Laca?