Fantasy Premier League 23/24

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Which keepers should I go for?
I think you only want one starter and then a 4.0 on your bench.

I think Onana is the pick of the 5.0, but Flekken has good fixtures and Johnstone is nailed as Palace number 1 if you fancy a 4.5

I think one of those is enough and you just play him every game. It’s always a dangerous game trying to decide who will get points if you rotate. You just never know when a GK will get sabe points and come out on top.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Do people think it's better to start with Pedro then switch to Jackson after GW2 or simply start with Jackson and hope for the best?
Basically every Chelsea player is a risk right now. We just don't know how they are going to perform. With Liverpool in town, I would definitely avoid. (Atleast that's what I have done)

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Haven't played this for a long time, was no good then and don't anything about strategies or the like. Was roped into a work league so here's what I've gone with:

First draft I’ve seen with no Haaland. All I can say is good luck! Also need to sort your bench out. You don’t need so much money sitting there with those players who aren’t going to play every week. Weaken your bench and strengthen your playing XI.

Maluco

Alright, new Kane draft. Flekken's going to be Brentford's number 1 this season and I really want to keep hold of Maddison. Otherwise there's not much creative happening, but as someone else said, given everyone's got Haaland you need someone else scoring goals.

These dickheads need to sort out his transfer situation though.
What is your opinion on Liverpool assets? Do you think either Diaz or Jota would be good punts?

I am tempted by both as they will be amongst the goals every time they are on the bench and are both too good to bench for any extended period of time.

Do you think they both might start?

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
You call yourself a Liverpool fan without having Salah or any Pool assets?
Dunno if it's worth it really. TAA's scores are going to be hurt by our awful defence shipping goals. We're going to score them for fun ala Brendan Rodgers's team but it's not clear which players are going to score them and I'm not sure picking Salah makes more sense than picking Kane given the glut of high scoring midfielders.

I did post a Salah draft earlier. Just not convinced by it.

RDCR07

Dunno if it's worth it really. TAA's scores are going to be hurt by our awful defence shipping goals. We're going to score them for fun ala Brendan Rodgers's team but it's not clear which players are going to score them and I'm not sure picking Salah makes more sense than picking Kane given the glut of high scoring midfielders.

I did post a Salah draft earlier. Just not convinced by it.
Salah is worth it over Kane cause I’m case you want to switch out it’s easier to jump to a midfielder since there are so many options. Unless Nkunku and Jesus come back there aren’t many forward options.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
What is your opinion on Liverpool assets? Do you think either Diaz or Jota would be good punts?

I am tempted by both as they will be amongst the goals every time they are on the bench and are both too good to bench for any extended period of time.

Do you think they both might start?
I don't think Jota will be a good punt as he's not in our best XI and shouldn't be IMO. Diaz is a good punt as he's a cracking player who scores and assists and he's managed 62 and 64 points in the last two seasons with slightly under 1000 minutes in each.

I think he'll be a regular starter for us and don't see anyone displacing him. But I don't want to punt on him just in case Klopp does something unexpected, and I also don't trust players who've had a long-term injury the previous year.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
Salah is worth it over Kane cause I’m case you want to switch out it’s easier to jump to a midfielder since there are so many options. Unless Nkunku and Jesus come back there aren’t many forward options.
Hmm interesting. Food for thought. To be fair, I've thought about nothing else for about a week.

I'll probably stick to the team I had without either of them tbf. But maybe I won't. And if I did, what if I shouldn't? feck FPL.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
Haven't played this for a long time, was no good then and don't anything about strategies or the like. Was roped into a work league so here's what I've gone with:

I like your squad as it's almost entirely made up of players I've picked in my 85 or so drafts so far, but it's a bit nuts picking a team without Haaland. 80% of players have him so anytime he scores you're already behind.

Also I think the idea is to pick really cheap squad fillers for your bench so you can spend the money on starters.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool

Think I’m settling for this. Thoughts?

0 itb, shit subs
Don't think Jota's our first choice on the left or through the middle. It's most likely Salah-Gakpo-Diaz. Darwin might displace someone, but Jota's not likely to start all season even if he gets some starts early on.

Last edited:

Chipper

Adulterer.
Can see why.
First draft I’ve seen with no Haaland. All I can say is good luck! Also need to sort your bench out. You don’t need so much money sitting there with those players who aren’t going to play every week. Weaken your bench and strengthen your playing XI.
I like your squad as it's almost entirely made up of players I've picked in my 85 or so drafts so far, but it's a bit nuts picking a team without Haaland. 80% of players have him so anytime he scores you're already behind.

Also I think the idea is to pick really cheap squad fillers for your bench so you can spend the money on starters.
Right, gonna completely re-jig that. Told you I didn't know what I was doing!

Haaland will be coming in. Going to drop some of those expensive squad players and focus on starting XI players almost exclusively.

The thing is, and I know it means this isn't the game for me, I'm not sure I can be arsed manging the squad as the season progresses or even picking my starters on a weekly basis.That's why I chucked in a bunch of reliable players, all of whom will score quite regularly. Not sure how good if it all my competition is at work, there's only 7 or 8 in it and it's only a tenner each. Always preferred the score prediction games over Fantasy truth be told.

Looks like I'm going to be forced into keeping on top of things if I want to do well.

Maluco

I don't think Jota will be a good punt as he's not in our best XI and shouldn't be IMO. Diaz is a good punt as he's a cracking player who scores and assists and he's managed 62 and 64 points in the last two seasons with slightly under 1000 minutes in each.

I think he'll be a regular starter for us and don't see anyone displacing him. But I don't want to punt on him just in case Klopp does something unexpected, and I also don't trust players who've had a long-term injury the previous year.
Thanks for that mate, that really helps actually! I would have assumed Jota would start after preseason.

I love Diaz as a player, I think he is great, but you are right about the injury! One to watch!

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
Thanks for that mate, that really helps actually! I would have assumed Jota would start after preseason.

I love Diaz as a player, I think he is great, but you are right about the injury! One to watch!
Look, he might tbh, but Gakpo's a better player and he was great leading the line in our good run last season. And Diaz is a far, far better winger than him. Even if he starts the early games he's not going to last all season. I wouldn't be going near him.

Apologies to anyone whose season I might have ruined if I'm wrong about this. :nervous:

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
Right, gonna completely re-jig that. Told you I didn't know what I was doing!

Haaland will be coming in. Going to drop some of those expensive squad players and focus on starting XI players almost exclusively.

The thing is, and I know it means this isn't the game for me, I'm not sure I can be arsed manging the squad as the season progresses or even picking my starters on a weekly basis.That's why I chucked in a bunch of reliable players, all of whom will score quite regularly. Not sure how good if it all my competition is at work, there's only 7 or 8 in it and it's only a tenner each. Always preferred the score prediction games over Fantasy truth be told.

Looks like I'm going to be forced into keeping on top of things if I want to do well.
FPL is life.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Double Brighton defence, Trossard, and Jota would be no go's for me. Garnacho is 50/50.
Maybe having all three is overkill, but isn't there something to be said for lads who are risks when it comes to starting, but will definitely get minutes in attacking teams considering games could go 100+ minutes now.

I really like Garnacho, even if he's not going to start. He's going to get points.

Anustart89

Changed my team about four times in the last two hours.

Right now:

Ramsdale-Areola
Shaw-Gabriel-Estu (Porro, Gusto)
Diaz-Saka-Rashford(Vice)-Bruno-Mitoma
Haaland-Jackson (Joao Pedro)

Thinking of taking a chance with starting Pedro considering they have Luton and Jackson has Liverpool, and in case he doesn't feature then Jackson can come in. On the other hand, if he gets subbed on for a 1 pointer then I'll be fecked.

Edit: Could also go for a downgrade on Porro to a 4.0 defender and go Watkins instead of Jackson, what do you reckon?

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Mitoma / Watkins or Maddison / Jackson ?

Currently on the former but it’s the most template team ever, and quite tempted by Maddison who should do well in an attacking Spurs side.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Think I’m settling for this. Thoughts?

0 itb, shit subs
Jota had 80 points last year. He is a sub in Pool. Yes, he will haul then and there but for that money you can buy someone who will start every week (and deliver). And Trossard is a sub too.

Chipper

Adulterer.
New squad! More like it after my last one was laughed out of the place?

Could still re-jig a little. Might bin bin off any/all of Luiz, Maddison, Pedro, Darwin.

Last edited:

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Just a general thought about FPL this year: there's probably going to be less clean sheets all round with there being longer injury time, eh?

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Just a general thought about FPL this year: there's probably going to be less clean sheets all round with there being longer injury time, eh?
You would definitely think so. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out - wingbacks I’d imagine will be more prone to getting subbed off, which could protect a clean sheet vs CBs who tend to play the whole game.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Maguire could turn into a decent asset at West Ham, McTominay even more so if he makes the move as he will probably be a little more advanced - however with the abundance of good midfield options he will probably not be a viable choice.

Baldock seems to be nailed for Sheffield and plays quite high, he was great a few seasons ago when Sheffield had that surprisingly good year so he might turn into a decent option to not just stick on the bench but also occasionally place in the first team. Between him and Beyer I don’t feel like I need much more depth in my defense.

Moby

Dick

Currently on the former but it’s the most template team ever, and quite tempted by Maddison who should do well in an attacking Spurs side.
There's no hurry to get Spurs players given their opening fixtures and the new management. I'll wait and see who is the better pick between all their midfield options and then can replace someone like Bruno for one of them.

Anustart89

Could still re-jig a little. Might bin bin off any/all of Luiz, Maddison, Pedro, Darwin.
One thought is that if you want to go for Rashford then downgrade Luiz to a 4.5 mid and Darwin to Jackson (Darwin likely to be rotated and Jackson likely to play in Nkunku's absence) and then get Rashford in for Maddison. Then if you want to triple up on United's attack in a few weeks once Højlund's integrated into the team you could switch out Onana and get him in for Jackson at 7.0

RDCR07

Mitoma + Watkins. People are underestimating this Villa team and especially Watkins. He has been one of the best strikers in England in 2023.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool

I'd shift out Darwin as he's not a starter at this stage. You can buy him later if he starts scoring and nails down a place.

Mings might to go as he might have actually been replaced with Pau Torres who is a left footed centre back who plays Mings left CB spot. The Guardian season preview says as much. Apparently he's a better ball player than Mings which is more in line with Emery's preferences. I decided not to include him based on that.

Otherwise I think you've done well signing Turner after his move to Forest.

Many of us are signing Baldock as one of the 4.0 cheapies as he's nailed on to start for the Blades. Also Kagore might be a good chance to start for Luton. You could sign one of them or find your own 4.0 players who might start for their teams. Fair play if Bell and Beyer turn out to be regulars.

stretford_oslo

I'm happy with this

Onana (Areola)
Stones - Estupinian - Gabriel (Chilwell, Beyer)
Saka - Martinelli - Rashford - L.Diaz - Mitoma
Haaland - Watkins (Maboma)

Going with Luis Diaz as a small differential as I'm pretty sure he starts and have a great fixture in gw2.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
New Main draft vs. Kane draft. Still feels boring though:

Onana
Gabriel, Estupinian, Chilwell
Saka, Rashy, Maddison, Bruno, Martinelli
Haaland, Jackson

Subs: Areola, Mubama, Kabore, Beyer

(0.5 in the bank)

Or:

Onana
Gabriel, Estupinian, Saliba
Saka, Rashy, Eze, Mitoma, Mbuemo
Haaland, Kane

Subs: Areola, Mubama, Kabore, Beyer

(0 in the bank)

Any thoughts? @Maluco @RDCR07 @Sandikan @Moby @CassiusClaymore @anyone
First one. Think it's good percentage play to have 3 of Utd and Arsenal, biasing attacking players from the off.

I liked the Mitoma Mbeumo double but think I'll only go Mitoma now Jesus is out and Martinelli comes in.

Striker Is what I'm still pondering. Don't like Chelsea v Liverpool but they have a great run week 3 in. You'd think someone at Chelsea will go big it's just who.