Fantasy Tournament: The Next Generation

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
A current players draft would end up being swayed by flavours of the month. The 70s would be a good decade to do as most will have retired and we can judge all their careers as a whole
I don't agree. No one would pick Ramsey over Modric or Pirlo. I don't see what flavors will have that strong of an impact.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
If Pol wins VP, is it too much to ask to tell a 3rd party our two picks for the final and have him tell Pol after Pol's made his picks?

Polaroid

If Pol wins VP, is it too much to ask to tell a 3rd party our two picks for the final and have him tell Pol after Pol's made his picks?
If you have not noticed, when I am the tournament organiser, I post my own team's formation and tactics openly in the main thread.
When you are done with your analysis, picks, formation and tactics, we can start the match, preferably today, thanks

Tactics in briefThe key is fluidity in movement and pace in penetration with Neymar, Hazard and Lucas pulling and stretching defences, opening up space and openings which Thiago, Kroos and Ramsey will relish. De Sciglio and Carvajal can provide additional support when the opportunity arises. The versatility, mobility and technique of this team are tailor-made for this fluid, dynamic and incisive style that reminds one why it is called the Beautiful Game.

David De Gea
D.O.B: 7 Nov 1990
Nation: Spain
Club: Manchester United
In short: The successor to Peter Schmeichel and Edwin van der Sar

Daniel Carvajal
D.O.B: 11 Jan 1992
Club: Real Madrid
In short: Talented right-back with stamina, work-rate, speed and technique. Scored 1 and assisted 8 goals in 32 league matches for Leverkusen last season. Selected by Bild newspaper as the best right-back in the Bundesliga.

Mattia De Sciglio
D.O.B: 20 Oct 1992
Nation: Italy
Club: AC Milan
In short: Gifted all-round defender who is seen as the future mainstay of Milan's and Italy's defence.
Maldini on De Sciglio: "I like watching Mattia play, I like the way he runs down the flank and keeps his position, he has the advantage that he can play on both the left and the right. He has the style to play for Milan and the personality for Milan."

Raphaël Varane
D.O.B: 25 Apr 1993
Nation: France
Club: Real Madrid
In short: Prodigious talent who looks set to become a defensive colossus for club and country

Matija Nastasić
D.O.B: 28 March 1993
Nation: Serbia
Club: Man City
In short: Unflappable centreback with huge promise

Aaron Ramsey
D.O.B: 26 Dec 1990
Nation: Wales
Club: Arsenal
In short: Developing into a fabulous all-round midfielder, if only he had chosen United....

Toni Kroos
D.O.B: 4 Jan 1990
Nation: Germany
Club: Bayern Munich
In short: Rolls Royce of a midfielder who is fast becoming the first name on the team sheet for club and country
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/apr/04/playmaker-toni-kroos-mesut-ozil

Thiago
D.O.B: 11 Apr 1991
Club: Bayern Munich
In short: United fans' wet dream

Lucas Moura
D.O.B: 13 Aug 1992
Nation: Brazil
Club: Paris Saint-Germain
In short: Immensely gifted player with potential off the charts

Neymar
D.O.B: 5 Feb 1992
Nation: Brazil
Club: Barcelona
In short: A match-winner of the highest order and already a legend in the making for the Selecao Brasileira

Eden Hazard
D.O.B: 7 Jan 1991
Nation: Belgium
Club: Chelsea
In short: Wizard with magic in his boots

NM

I'm putting tgether my team and tactics now, but am at work. Give me a little bit.

NM

Profiles:

Jeroen Zoet: PSV's number 1. The future Dutch national Goalkeeper

David Alaba: Bayern Munich's starting left back - a complete footballer who can play multiple positions. He is great both defensively and going forward, and has the ability to dominate a flank.

Juan Jesus: Inter fans believe Jesus will be their Messiah (sorry - couldn't resist that!). He is already starting for them, and is getting Brazil caps. Fans have compared him to Lucio. In his prime, the expectation is that he will be Brazil’s starting CB and a rock for Inter.

Kyriakos Papadopolous: Papadopolous has been starting CB for Schalke and Greece whenever fit. As a center back, he has no real weaknesses.

Rafael: Our very own talented right back.

Ilkay Gundogan: Not much to say – perhaps the best, most coveted young midfielder in the world today.

Marco Verratti: Verratti is an extraordinary passer with exemplary vision. He will sit back and run the game with his passing skill. He is the best deep lying play-maker in this draft.

Julian Draxler: One of Germany’s many bright young attackers. He is already a star in the German league, and will be one of the world’s premier attackers in his prime.

Mario Götze: The best young player (and biggest prospect) in the world today.
Oscar: is a truly gifted play-maker who also has an incredible work ethic. Jose has left Mata out of the side to accommodate his genius.

Romelu Lukaku: The Belgian beast. He is already scoring goals for fun in the Premier League, and is arguably the top center forward prospect in the world today. He's very good now - and will be an absolute monster in his prime.

Tactics:
A true 4-2-3-1 with dynamic full backs, a midfield that will control the game, and 3 creative players who will swap positions fluidly - pulling Pol's players out of position, and playing Lukaku in for easy opportunities.

Why I will win:
  • A better balance - I believe Gundogan-Verratti-Oscar is a much more balanced 3 than my opposition - Kroos, Thiago and Ramsey (to me) isn't a balanced midfield. I don't think any of them will relish having to track Oscar/Gotze/Draxler when they drift in. Who sits? Who supports the attackers? It confuses me - and probably will confuse his team too - leading to multiple chances for my attackers.
  • A proven team - every one of my players is playing every game for their clubs.
  • Better personnel in the key areas:
    • Gotze is (IMO) the biggest talent in the draft - with Gundogan, Rafael, Oscar , Alaba and Verratti being the best in their respective roles
    • Lucas Moura has stagnated at PSG and there are rumors that he is going back to Brazil. He is the weakest attacker on the pitch. See the Moura thread!
    • Ramsey is (clearly IMO) the weakest of the central midfielders on show today.
    • Pol has a better GK prospect than me, but I simply don't see him troubling my keeper as much as I will his

NM

If you have not noticed, when I am the tournament organiser, I post my own team's formation and tactics openly in the main thread.
When you are done with your analysis, picks, formation and tactics, we can start the match, preferably today, thanks

I am on EST in the USA, so it would be good it if you could hold off starting the game until afternoon UK time so I am awake. I'll be at work regardless, so hope Snow is around.

Good luck!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Why is Oscar on the right? Oscar is better than Gotze, internationally and club wise, so the team has to be build around him. Not the other way around. Even Klopp put Gotze on right to accommodate Kagawa.

NM

Why is Oscar on the right? Oscar is better than Gotze, internationally and club wise, so the team has to be build around him. Not the other way around. Even Klopp put Gotze on right to accommodate Kagawa.

Disagree mate.. If multiple people think so, I'll change it - but I think the consensus is that Gotze is the biggest young talent in the world today.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
For a current draft, how about a draft with a full 18 man squad - the caveat is that you are only allowed to pick one player of a certain age - 1 20 year old 1 thirty year old and so on.
And at what stage would they be considered? Peak? Giggs would be immense in that.

Too much hard work involved in finding out people's ages and making lists by age (assume year of birth or it would be a downright pain). It is a rather boring factor to dedicate so much time to, tbh.

NM

And at what stage would they be considered? Peak? Giggs would be immense in that.

Too much hard work involved in finding out people's ages and making lists by age (assume year of birth or it would be a downright pain). It is a rather boring factor to dedicate so much time to, tbh.

I didn't give it enough thought. That's why I play drafts, not plan them!

Forget that - what are your thoughts on my team for the final?

antohan

Forget that - what are your thoughts on my team for the final?
Better left for the thread, don't you think?

It should be quite close. You raise some valid points, but I'd argue you have focused too much on negatives about your rival without really getting across what you have to offer. It comes across as defensive/:wenger: which it need not be.

NM

Better left for the thread, don't you think?

It should be quite close. You raise some valid points, but I'd argue you have focused too much on negatives about your rival without really getting across what you have to offer. It comes across as defensive/:wenger: which it need not be.

I was asking more about the Oscar/Gotze question that Iso brought up. I don't want that to be an issue in the thread

antohan

I was asking more about the Oscar/Gotze question that Iso brought up. I don't want that to be an issue in the thread
I mentioned before the pick that taking Lukaku presented you with that issue. I wouldn't be concerned about width as you have Rafael and Oscar can play effectively out there. I do however feel you've weakened the three in the middle as a unit when you are working on recovery. It's one of those where you'll be damned if you do and damned if you don't. Shift Gotze to the right and people will tell you he should be central to everything you do...

I do find you are not making a big deal of having taken on Lukaku and how differently you are set up now relative to Pol. You seem primed for getting tied up in knots over this Gotze-Oscar business while not exploiting the upside you've made all this rejigging for (or the fact that having Oscar and Gotze is far from being "a problem").

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I'd play Götze out wide and Oscar in the middle. Against Pol's midfield you need your AM to do a lot of work in CM, so Oscar is probably the better player for that role and Götze is better suited to the wide playmaker/winger position. Don't think it's that important with Lukaku in the team and brilliant fullbacks providing width in possession though.

The draft is about potential peak and not who was the better player so far, so 18 year old Götze playing on the right in his first full season doesn't really matter . Do you really think Oscar will be the better player at his peak?

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker

If I had to be picky, I'd say Gotze provided more of the sort of threat you'd want in terms of dribbling from a winger, and that Oscar, given the way he's played in particular under Mourinho, would be ideal to press people like Kroos in deeper areas. The difference between the two teams is so marginal that I suppose that's the sort of thing that has to be looked into.

Dunno who I'll vote for here, to be honest. Very closely matched.

NM

I'd play Götze out wide and Oscar in the middle. Against Pol's midfield you need your AM to do a lot of work in CM, so Oscar is probably the better player for that role and Götze is better suited to the wide playmaker/winger position. Don't think it's that important with Lukaku in the team and brilliant fullbacks providing width in possession though.

The draft is about potential peak and not who was the better player so far, so 18 year old Götze playing on the right in his first full season doesn't really matter . Do you really think Oscar will be the better player at his peak?
If I had to be picky, I'd say Gotze provided more of the sort of threat you'd want in terms of dribbling from a winger, and that Oscar, given the way he's played in particular under Mourinho, would be ideal to press people like Kroos in deeper areas. The difference between the two teams is so marginal that I suppose that's the sort of thing that has to be looked into.

Dunno who I'll vote for here, to be honest. Very closely matched.
I mentioned before the pick that taking Lukaku presented you with that issue. I wouldn't be concerned about width as you have Rafael and Oscar can play effectively out there. I do however feel you've weakened the three in the middle as a unit when you are working on recovery. It's one of those where you'll be damned if you do and damned if you don't. Shift Gotze to the right and people will tell you he should be central to everything you do...

I do find you are not making a big deal of having taken on Lukaku and how differently you are set up now relative to Pol. You seem primed for getting tied up in knots over this Gotze-Oscar business while not exploiting the upside you've made all this rejigging for (or the fact that having Oscar and Gotze is far from being "a problem").

switched Gotze out wide. I have some more ideas for the game thread, but won't mention them here until the game starts.