Far Cry 4

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink

Just been announced on the following: PS4, Xbox One, PC, PS3 & 360.

Planned Release: November 18th 2014

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fa...box-360-xbox-one-ps3-ps4-and-pc/1100-6419659/

As part of Ubisoft's earnings report today for the year ended March 31, the French publisher officially confirmed Far Cry 4, the next entry in the action series. It's not much of a surprise, as Ubisoft told GameSpot last year at E3 2013 that a follow-up to Far Cry 3 was a sure-thing based on the sales of that game.

"The year's performance will be led by five games--Assassin’s Creed Unity, Far Cry 4, Just Dance, The Crew, and Watch Dogs," Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot said in a statement. "Watch Dogs' pre-orders are at record levels and it is perfectly positioned to become the industry’s most successful new IP in history."

Far Cry 4 is coming to Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PC on November 18. Today's confirmation of Far Cry 4 comes after a flurry of leaks. Here's how Ubisoft sets up the story for Far Cry 4:

"In Far Cry 4, players find themselves in Kyrat, a breathtaking, perilous and wild region of the Himalayas struggling under the regime of a despotic self-appointed king. Using a vast array of weapons, vehicles, and animals, players will write their own story across an exotic open-world landscape."

"Following the success of Far Cry 3, we wanted to take the franchise to the next level and create a game that will surprise players and exceed fans' expectations," executive producer Dan Hay said in a statement. "Given the unique setting, we feel Far Cry 4 will stand out as a top first-person shooter and we're eager to reveal more about the game in the coming months."

If you preorder Far Cry 4, you'll receive a limited edition version of the game that includes Hurk's Redemption, a three-part single-player mission pack featuring the character Hurk from Far Cry 3. You'll also receive Hurk's main weapon, the harpoon gun called The Impaler, if you preorder.

More information about Far Cry 4 will be shared during Ubisoft's E3 2014 briefing next month, to be held Monday June 9 at 3 p.m. PDT.
Quite enjoyed 2 and 3, despite not completing either due to the slight repetitiveness, I still may return to 3. Fantastic looking games that are quite well made (barring 2's multiplayer) and also pretty fun to play. Looking forward, as with other titles, what they can do with it on PS4/Xbox One.

Last edited:

Leg-End

Far Cry 3 was a nice surprise after 2 which was shocking. Interested in this.

Cross gen though, blah.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Really looking forward to it! 3 was brilliant fun.

More of the same I hope.

Last edited:

walsh

Excited for it but announcing DLC along with the actual game leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. fecking modern gaming industry...

Shark

@NotShark
Looking back on Far Cry 3, the game still looks amazing two years later. It actually wouldn't look out of place on a next gen machine IMO. It'll be great to see what they come up with graphically this time around.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Loved far cry 3, this should be even better on next gen too. Hopefully they make the most out of the graphics.

PvsNP

Good news. I loved Far Cry 3. I hope the graphics will be just as fantastic as 3 was at the time.

Hal9000

The weird colors in the background... I suspect mystical drug trips again.

Redo91

What is with all the cross-gen games coming out? Fair enough for the first few months of a new consoles cycle but when this comes out the PS4 will be out nearly a year. I don't remember many games coming out on both the PS2 and PS3 besides the likes of Fifa.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
What is with all the cross-gen games coming out? Fair enough for the first few months of a new consoles cycle but when this comes out the PS4 will be out nearly a year. I don't remember many games coming out on both the PS2 and PS3 besides the likes of Fifa.
What's wrong with it? Not all of us can afford next gen consoles

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What did you expect though? They're not gonna abandon approx. 180 Million... and they shouldn't. Not just yet anyway...

Redo91

What's wrong with it? Not all of us can afford next gen consoles
The games would be much better if they were exclusive to the PS4/Xbox One rather than being held back so they can be playable on the last generation. There are still plenty of great games on the PS3/Xbox 360 whereas there is a lack of quality on the newer consoles. I won't be getting a PS4 until the end of this year at the earliest as I'm still happy with the PS3 so there would be no harm in games like Far Cry 4 and Watchdogs being only on the current gen.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
The games would be much better if they were exclusive to the PS4/Xbox One rather than being held back so they can be playable on the last generation. There are still plenty of great games on the PS3/Xbox 360 whereas there is a lack of quality on the newer consoles. I won't be getting a PS4 until the end of this year at the earliest as I'm still happy with the PS3 so there would be no harm in games like Far Cry 4 and Watchdogs being only on the current gen.
People who make these decisions don't make them in a whim. They try to estimate possible gains based on actual research. PS4 is prohibitively expensive for many players around the world. In Portugal it costs a minimum wage, in a country with 20% unemployment. Huge low-middle class markets like Brazil probably have an immensely greater share of PS3's than PS4's, and it will stay like that for quite a while.

They probably realized that they'd make more money overall by selling a slightly inferior game to a much wider market. A few new generation gamers won't buy it because they won't figure it good enough, but they'll more than make up for that with the old generation sales.

Recently released consoles are luxury toys for the show of it, it takes a couple of years until they develop a better library of games than the previous ones. They are put out there for users with low price-discrimination, like any new gadget is. It was exactly that which happened with the PS2 and PS3. A few months from now it's when the big share of people will be jumping into the PS4, buying it a lot more cheaper, and possibly more ironed out hardware, with a better library of games. The smart consumers :)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think this time it's different. For starters the leap between generations hasn't been as big from what I can see. I also think there wasn't as much hype around the new consoles as when I was younger and buying the others. Maybe that's just because I was younger though. I haven't really felt any need to get the newest gen though and I don't think I would even if they stopped bringing out games for the 360.

PlayerOne

Ubisoft: Far Cry 4 on PS4, Xbox One Equivalent to PC Ultra High

Ubisoft has shared some details about Far Cry 4 and how it handles on the new consoles, the PS4 and Xbox One, even going so far as to confirm that the game will look like the PC version on Ultra High quality settings.

Far Cry 4 was revealed to the world last month and, at E3 2014 last week, Ubisoft finally presented some gameplay footage with the gorgeous first-person shooter, showing off the stunning visuals, the new environment of Kyrat in the Himalaya mountains, not to mention the various enemies and animals.

As opposed to Far Cry 3, which came out in 2012, Far Cry 4 will debut on the PS4 and Xbox One, besides the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

While talking in the latest Major Nelson podcast, Ubisoft's Alex Hutchinson has gone in-depth about the differences between the game's current-gen and last-gen editions.

First up, the creative director said his team wanted Far Cry 4 to play the same on all platforms, but at the same time, it also wants to show off the game's beauty on PC, PS4, or Xbox One.

"We want the gameplay experience to be the same on all platforms so we're leaning on technical differences. Everything you see, whether it’s the fur on the animals, the grass on the ground or the leaves on the trees. All these things are bumped up a huge amount in the next gen version," he said.

Hutchinson has also mentioned that Far Cry 4 is developed primarily on PC, unlike other Ubisoft games, i.e. Assassin's Creed. However, on the PS4 and Xbox One, the studio was able to get it running at ultra high quality immediately.

"We develop on PC primarily, which is actually unusual. With Assassin’s Creed, we develop on console, so we start at that and we push the boundary of the console as hard as we can. But because we develop on PC, you’ve never really seen on console the ultra-high PC version before.

"So even out of the box, even day one, we just stuck the code on the new consoles and we were able to dial it all the way up. So as a console player you’re already getting by far the best version we can ship."

Far Cry 4 is set to debut this November on PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One platforms and you can bet that Ubisoft will show off the game in action until then through videos and screenshots.
Link

Lance Uppercut

even going so far as to confirm that the game will look like the PC version on Ultra High quality settings.

I will believe that when I see it.

walsh

Indeed, interesting claim though. If I hadn't seen gameplay footage this would make me dubious about the quality of the games visuals but it does seem to look fantastic, just like FC3 did.

PlayerOne

Ubisoft might be talking crap, but the game not coming out on the last gens consoles does help.

PlayerOne

It is coming out on last gen.
You're right, that was a brainfart from me! It's mostly like being developed with the current gen in mind, so that should help. Still, I don't buy those claims from Ubisoft.

nimic

something nice
Scout
There is no chance in hell that the game will look as good on consoles as PC Ultra high quality. Not even if they do what they did with Watch Dogs, where they deliberately downgraded the graphical fidelity for the PC. It still looked better on PC than consoles.

Hal9000

Considering Ubisoft throttled the PC version of Watch Dogs, it's not surprising that PS4, Xbone and PC ultra high will all look the same.