Kick-off
Thu, 28 November 2019 @ 3:50pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    VS............

Date - Thursday, November 28 2019

Kickoff Time - 1550 Hrs GMT
    Venue - Astana Arena, Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan

Europa League form guide

Manchester United: WDWW

Astana: LLLL

Previous Meetings In All Competitions

Manchester United 1— 0 FC Astana

All-Time Record

Manchester United wins: 1
    Astana wins:
    Draws:

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Roman Hryhorchuk

N/A

Team News

Manchester United

Timothy Fosu-Mensah, Eric Bailly, Paul Pogba, Diogo Dalot, Scott McTominay and Nemanja Matić ruled out. Luke Shaw doubtful.

Astana

Firmin Ndombe Mubele ruled out.

Know the opposition

Astana Football Club (Kazakh: Astana Fýtbol Klýby) is a professional football club based in Nur-Sultan. They play in the Kazakhstan Premier League, the highest level of Kazakh football, and are members of the Astana Presidential Club, an association of the main sports teams in Astana supported by the Sovereign Wealth Fund Samruk-Kazyna.

The club was founded on 27 December 2008, as football clubs from Almaty Megasport and Alma-Ata announced they would merge to found a new organisation. The club was named "FC Lokomotiv Astana" as the National Railway Company Kazakhstan Temir Zholy became a general sponsor, and Vakhid Masudov became the first head coach in the club's history.

The short history of the club already boasts five league titles, three Kazakhstan Cups and three Kazakhstan Super Cups. The club's strongest rivalry is with Kairat, among fans their matches are known as the Two Capitals Derby. The club's home ground is the Astana Arena (Kazakh: Астана Арена).

Referee

Donatas Rumsas​

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
    Scout
    We should send reserves for this game, along with reserves manager.

SER19

Romero
    Tuanzebe
    Jones
    Rojo
    Young

Garner
    Fred
    Mata

Lingard
    Greenwood
    Gomes

0-1

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
    Staff
    Romero (though with Grant on the bench against Sheffield United it might be him instead)

Young
    Tuanzebe
    Jones
    Shaw

Garner
    Matic
    Mata

Chong
    Greenwood
    Gomes

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
    Romero
    Tuanzebe
    Jones
    Rojo
    Young

Garner
    Fred
    Mata

Lingard
    Greenwood
    Gomes

0-1
    Never thought I would say this but we can't risk Fred in such a nothing game. Matic in for him, otherwise I agree. Chong will also be in contention.

Denis' cuff

Romero (though with Grant on the bench against Sheffield United it might be him instead)

Young
    Tuanzebe
    Jones
    Shaw

Garner
    Matic
    Mata

Chong
    Greenwood
    Gomes

Yes, like that one. Think Romero will play and probably spent time in preparation rather than bench warming yesterday.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
    Apart from playing mostly reserves, we shouldn't even have most of planned first XI vs Villa travelling for this. From yesterday's starting XI, only Lindelof, Pereira (lol) and Jones (lolol) should travel and Lindelof just to be on bench. Rest 8, including Fred and Williams should stay back.

King Andow

--------------Romero
    Laird-Tuanzebe-Jones-Young
    ---------Garner-Levitt
    --------------Gomes
    Greenwood------Chong
    -----------Ramazani

No reason to not give a chance to the kids.

Update: Grant, Laird, Tuanzebe, Mengi, Shaw, Garner, Levitt, Gomes, Chong, Ramazani, Greenwood :devil:

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    Should treat this as the freeroll it is. Give many of the young players a real opportunity, with the safety net of the senior team getting the job done against Alkmaar at home.

I'd keep key players who are playing 90 most weeks back: DDG, Maguire, AWB, Fred, James, Rashford

zenith

None of our precious first teamers should be playing this game.

Hopefully the likes of Jones, mata, lingard, matic can get some game time and manage to keep themselves fit for good forbid when they are needed.

RedDevilRoshi

Send the U23’s to play this game.

It’s a meaningless match on the other side of Europe. Stupidity beyond belief if Ole takes his strongest, best team with him.

OleTheGreat

None of our precious first teamers should be playing this game.

Hopefully the likes of Jones, mata, lingard, matic can get some game time and manage to keep themselves fit for good forbid when they are needed.
    Precious? What Precious? Saw what happened to them in the Sheffield game after an international game. It got so cagey! I still think we should play a decent side against Astana. We're still struggling to get results in away fixtures but since we have already qualified, maybe try Greenwood upfront, Gomes in midfield with Garner and Tuanxebe in defense.

P.S: I have no idea if Gomes is fit, so can somebody let me know.

Bwuk

Send the reserves. Zero point in any first team players playing.

Romero
    Laird - Jones - Axel - Young
    Garner - Matic - Levitt
    Chong - Greenwood - Gomes​

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    Send our reserve team and the not match fit players. Couldn't care less with this game.

Romero

Dalot
    Jones
    Tuanzebe
    Shaw

Matic
    Garner

Gomes
    Lingard
    Mata

Greenwood

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    Precious? What Precious? Saw what happened to them in the Sheffield game after an international game. It got so cagey! I still think we should play a decent side against Astana. We're still struggling to get results in away fixtures but since we have already qualified, maybe try Greenwood upfront, Gomes in midfield with Garner and Tuanxebe in defense.

P.S: I have no idea if Gomes is fit, so can somebody let me know.
    We've already qualified.

Literally no reason to send our squad half way around the world to play a meaningless match, then have to play again 48 hours later. It would be very foolish.

Send the bench players filled in with the reserves, they should be more than good enough to beat Astana.

Yes Gomes is fit.

OleTheGreat

We've already qualified.

Literally no reason to send our squad half way around the world to play a meaningless match, then have to play again 48 hours later. It would be very foolish.

Send the bench players filled in with the reserves, they should be more than good enough to beat Astana.

Yes Gomes is fit.
    No you don't understand what i mean. These players don't actually know the hardship of playing at the highest level yet. What I mean is for them to travel that far and train even if they are not actually on the pitch. These players have their lives pretty easy compared to the yesteryears when we would actually play with players outside their comfort zones and they would still come out with a victory. I don't think even our first team is actually a top team, it looks very very shaky and only hard work and repeated care in training can help us gain something out of the games this season.

khoazany

Romero
    Laird - Tuanzebe - Jones - Young
    Garner - Levitt
    Lingard - Gomes - Chong
    Greenwood

Adam-Utd

No you don't understand what i mean. These players don't actually know the hardship of playing at the highest level yet. What I mean is for them to travel that far and train even if they are not actually on the pitch. These players have their lives pretty easy compared to the yesteryears when we would actually play with players outside their comfort zones and they would still come out with a victory. I don't think even our first team is actually a top team, it looks very very shaky and only hard work and repeated care in training can help us gain something out of the games this season.
    These players also play WAY more games in a season, at a much higher speed. You can't compare it to the 60/70/80's.

Over playing them and travelling will not help improve the way we play. We'd be better off having a week of rest in the first team so that we could actually play fresh. Stick to the formation that works also. The 3-4-3 doesn't suit us.

Alabaster Codify7

-------------------------------------Romero--------------------------------------------
    Young-----------Tuanzebe----------------Maguire-------------------Williams
    ----------------------Pereira----------------------Fred-----------------------------------
    ------------------------------------Lingard------------------------------------------------
    Greenwood----------------Martial--------------------------------James

SUBS - Garner (Pereira), Fosu-Mensah (Young), Chong (James)

FC Astana 1 - 1 Man United
    Greenwood

OleTheGreat

These players also play WAY more games in a season, at a much higher speed. You can't compare it to the 60/70/80's.

Over playing them and travelling will not help improve the way we play. We'd be better off having a week of rest in the first team so that we could actually play fresh. Stick to the formation that works also. The 3-4-3 doesn't suit us.
    Only playing together constantly can improve this team is what i mean :)

Mark Pawelek

Never thought I would say this but we can't risk Fred in such a nothing game. Matic in for him, otherwise I agree. Chong will also be in contention.
    It's not a nothing game. Essential for United to win to top the group. Must stop AZ Alkmaar from winning the group, so United get an easier knockout phase tie.

I agree Fred should not be risked. Play a midfield of Gardner, Levitt, with Gomes as AM. The same as worked for the U23s and JPT.

Adam-Utd

Only playing together constantly can improve this team is what i mean :)
    We've played the same team together for the last few weeks. Only injuries has changed that.

We ARE starting to play more as a team, we've scored 3 goals in our last few matches which is a big difference compared to earlier in the season.

Our silly 3-4-3 formation, Jones being poor and Pereira having a stinker in midfield was what cost us mainly.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
    Supports
    USA Manchester Red Socks
    Europa League form guide

Astana: LLLL
    ----------------------------------------

Until we come to town.

OleTheGreat

We've played the same team together for the last few weeks. Only injuries has changed that.

We ARE starting to play more as a team, we've scored 3 goals in our last few matches which is a big difference compared to earlier in the season.

Our silly 3-4-3 formation, Jones being poor and Pereira having a stinker in midfield was what cost us mainly.
    True.. Perriera was awful! Period.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Team should be...

---------------Romero---------------
    Laird--Tuanzebe--Jones--Shaw
    -------Garner-------Levitt-------
    Chong------Mata-------Gomes
    ------------Greenwood------------

Subs: Grant, Young, Matic, Andreas, Lingard, Feck, Knows,

peridigm

I'm normally not one for wanting us to send a significantly depleted squad on the road for a match like this but we need 1 pt from 2 matches to qualify. Given the travel, and our lack of fit midfielders, Ole may not have much choice than to roll out one of the predictions seen above. It would be nice to win the group but probably not critical. Where it gets tricky is if we lose and Belgrade manage to get 3 pts away at Alkmaar. We then go into the last match against Alkmaar where any two of the 3 can qualify.

always_hoping

The 11 starting players and 3 subs to be brought on v Aston Villa next Sunday must be left in Manchester. Fill the plane fringe players this a totally meaningless match.

always_hoping

I'm normally not one for wanting us to send a significantly depleted squad on the road for a match like this but we need 1 pt from 2 matches to qualify. Given the travel, and our lack of fit midfielders, Ole may not have much choice than to roll out one of the predictions seen above. It would be nice to win the group but probably not critical. Where it gets tricky is if we lose and Belgrade manage to get 3 pts away at Alkmaar. We then go into the last match against Alkmaar where any two of the 3 can qualify.
    United are already through to the knock out stages

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 130 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Astana win