FC Barcelona 2016/2017

Nanook

Their net debt is more or less like ours.

Last season's revenue stading;
1. Manchester United - £515.3m
2. Barcelona - £463.8m
3. Real Madrid - 463.8m
4. Bayern Munich - £442.7m.

Barcelona 's problem is that they spend 75% of their revenue on wages which is very high. we spend 45% on wages.
Their revenue is the same as ours and I think they're spending 60% on wages not 75%.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Adisa

They're in between a rock and a hard place. They need something like a 150m euro summer. Money they simply don't have. Due to funding contracts and their stadium redevelopment. Even if they find the money, their wage structure is such a way that they will have to get rid of a host of squad players just to sign some big players...further weakening their squad depth.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona

cyberman

They spend 62 million more than us on wages approximately. They merely sell on players like Iniesta, Andre Gomes, Suarez, and they will be fine
Thats a crap load of money, basically negating their shirt sponsor to match us when we have spent far too much on wages ourselves.
They wont get much for an aging Iniesta, joke of a player Gomes etc. That's their problem, no sell on value due to terrible recruitment.
They need to to replace half of their first team players but if they need to sell players from outside of their first 11 to fund it they then need to replace them as well. Their squad is small enough as it is.
Plus they need 600m put aside to renovate the Nou Camp.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
They spend 62 million more than us on wages approximately. They merely sell on players like Iniesta, Andre Gomes, Suarez, and they will be fine
Sell players like Iniesta? Like that's going to happen. Same with selling Suarez.

Adisa

True, different sources give different numbers.

But the general consensus is that Real, Barca and United the top 3 and fairly close to one another.

@Treble_Winning claimed that several PL times are significantly wealthier than Barcelona because of their TV deals. This of course, is objectively false.
On that, I agree.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Things have a way of looking bleaker when a team isn't in form, the biggest difference they could make from this year to next is actually just appointing the right man to come in after Enrique.

Adisa

I don't know who's to blame and when they went wrong but it's poor financial planning. I can't understand how a team that makes 600m euros a season has so little room to maneuver. It's why the Neymar rumours persist.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Even if they find the money, their wage structure is such a way that they will have to get rid of a host of squad players just to sign some big players...further weakening their squad depth.
Suarez, Iniesta and Mascherano are all making far more money than they deserve based on their performance in the last 8 months.

If those three were just on €100,000 a week instead of what they're currently on, we would be saving €340,000 per week on the wages.

Adisa

Things have a way of looking bleaker when a team isn't in form, the biggest difference they could make from this year to next is actually just appointing the right man to come in after Enrique.
I agree about poor form making things look bleaker but I think it's deeper than that. They need some quality players. They're totally reliant on MSN being in form. Something that's becoming harder and harder to do as the team behind them gets weaker. It's how they fund this that's the issue now.

Adisa

Suarez, Iniesta and Mascherano are all making far more money than they deserve based on their performance in the last 8 months.

If those three were just on €100,000 a week instead of what they're currently on, we would be saving €340,000 per week on the wages.
Mashcerano is off, so that's a plus. I really think they should consider renegotiating Iniesta's contract. Make it longer on reduced wages. Suarez is ona huge long contract foe a 30 year old. His quality means there's not much the club can do about it now. But I suspect he'll be on the transfer watch list in a year or two.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
I agree about poor form making things look bleaker but I think it's deeper than that. They need some quality players. They're totally reliant on MSN being in form. Something that's becoming harder and harder to do as the team behind them gets weaker. It's how they fund this that's the issue now.
The quality is there but the use of that quality isn't great. They need a coach that makes use of the midfield and uses at least a vdry standard form of the positinal game.

That way they will be able to integrate their youth players into the first team a lot quicker and not have to constantly look outside and pay extrordinary wages.

There is no point in having a player like Busquets or Iniesta if the team doesn't use then optimally and they have to constantly run back to their own goal when they are not athletic. It's just not logical.

Ironically, Madrid are using more youth products that are willing to die for the shirt such as Carvajal, Lucas Vazquez, Nacho. This allows Real Madrid to lower their wage bill and these players are more likely to accept the bench so harmony is retained.

Florentino has achieved his Zidanes y Pavones ideal, with Zidane himself at the helm. It is almost poetic. Almost.

Adisa

An excerpt about Messi's contract. The figures are eye-watering.
Messi is more than halfway through a four-year deal worth a basic €32m per season after tax but it's structured unconventionally. For the first two seasons of that deal Messi received €22m. This season - and next - he receives €42m.

Messi will no doubt be expecting an improvement; at least €35m per season for the duration of another four-year term.

Stacks

Not happening.
He has a year left on his contract and isn't a big player anymore. why would that not happen. they have moved legends on in the past. He could get a cameo in the premier league rather than go to Al-Ahli, with the money our clubs are receiving. Why not see him at an Everton, under Koeman? If Allardyce was still at Bolton, he'd bung Iniesta over here in a second

Stacks

Thats a crap load of money, basically negating their shirt sponsor to match us when we have spent far too much on wages ourselves.
They wont get much for an aging Iniesta, joke of a player Gomes etc. That's their problem, no sell on value due to terrible recruitment.
They need to to replace half of their first team players but if they need to sell players from outside of their first 11 to fund it they then need to replace them as well. Their squad is small enough as it is.
Plus they need 600m put aside to renovate the Nou Camp.
They don't need to replace them all in one go as they are not exactly at deaths door. They still remain one of La Liga's best and a dangerous propersition in the Champions League, depsite them being as terrible as people claim.
Iniesta is merely to reduce the wage bill. They could recoup most of the money for Gomes as he is still a good age and proven. Look at todays market. worse players move for less
They simply do it little by little. If they sign Verratti this summer and move on Iniesta, then they will be strong enough with Busquets, Verratti and Rakitic, to control games. Verratti seems up for it and Barcelona may do some dodgy deal that they will be in court for in a few years, but hey!

Adisa

He has a year left on his contract and isn't a big player anymore. why would that not happen. they have moved legends on in the past. He could get a cameo in the premier league rather than go to Al-Ahli, with the money our clubs are receiving. Why not see him at an Everton, under Koeman? If Allardyce was still at Bolton, he'd bung Iniesta over here in a second
I did not know he has only a year left. I thought the poster meant selling him. I can't see him being sold. I think he'll finish his contract.

Stacks

I did not know he has only a year left. I thought the poster meant selling him. I can't see him being sold. I think he'll finish his contract.
All depends on the negotiating skills of the president and Iniesta's selflessness. If they convince him it is for the good of the club, he could be off to China. Neville was humble enough to call it quits and Iniesta seems to love Barcelona. that said, Ivan Rakitic, Aleix Vidal, Jeremy Mathieu, and Arda Turan could all be made available for transfer

Bole Top

their own board is killing them. for some reason, they are almost uncapable of buying proper player if that player isn't an obvious 70-80 million worth world class player like Suarez or Neymar and even then, they have to go to court, paying even more in the end :lol:

I've just gone through some of their transfers in the last couple of years and it's absolutely insane how many bad transfers they made. it's almost like they just took 150 million € and burned it.

just look at their subs yesterday. it's easy to say some of those players need replacing, but it will be a hell of a job with their current recruitment "policy".

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
their own board is killing them. for some reason, they are almost uncapable of buying proper player if that player isn't an obvious 70-80 million worth world class player like Suarez or Neymar and even then, they have to go to court, paying even more in the end :lol:

I've just gone through some of their transfers in the last couple of years and it's absolutely insane how many bad transfers they made. it's almost like they just took 150 million € and burned it.

just look at their subs yesterday. it's easy to say some of those players need replacing, but it will be a hell of a job with their current recruitment "policy".
It's exactly what they did. Just look at Andre Gomes, they had Sergi Roberto performing well in midfield and instead of spending half of André Gomes money on a right back, they spent it on a player inferior to Sergi and also weakened their right back position. Instead of offering decent money to Toulouse for Ben Yedder, they spent a lot on Alcacer who is an inferior and more expensive player.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
They basically need a whole need squad. The defence and the midfield are crap, while they are too short upfront.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Very interesting moment in the history of the club right now. The decision who and what will be their next coach can be crucial in the future development of the club in the next 5-6 years. I see 2 options: Going back to the traditional way for Barca - appointing someone with Barca DNA who will follow the Cruyff way of positional play, La Masia players in the first team etc.. Or they will appoint some totally different type of a manager and let him build the team as he wants (including marquee signings and complete change of the system and the way of play). Oscar Garcia (as i wrote earlier) is an excellent candidate for the first solution.. Max Allegri himself is an excellent choice for the second..

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
A bit of overreacting here. What they need is a top RB and a top CM. Busquets is still good enough for the DM role and Rakitic has shown he can perform for this Barca team. They just need a top CM to have next to Rakitic with Busquets behind the 2.
Their last transferwindow has been shit but they'll recover.

Also, keep Messi as close to the 16 as possible.

Adisa

Very interesting moment in the history of the club right now. The decision who and what will be their next coach can be crucial in the future development of the club in the next 5-6 years. I see 2 options: Going back to the traditional way for Barca - appointing someone with Barca DNA who will follow the Cruyff way of positional play, La Masia players in the first team etc.. Or they will appoint some totally different type of a manager and let him build the team as he wants (including marquee signings and complete change of the system and the way of play). Oscar Garcia (as i wrote earlier) is an excellent candidate for the first solution.. Max Allegri himself is an excellent choice for the second..
The first option is very risky. I don't know the state of their youth talent but if those players come in and dont perform well in the first team, they could end up third behind Atletico next season. The other trouble with going back to their roots and playing the positional game with a ridiculously high defensive line is that, it will expose their shaky defense even more. Also, it will require their forward line to start pressing again because there's no point playing the high line without pressure on the ball. I'm not sure they want to do that, especially Messi. The positional game, to be done well, requres a huge amount of effort.
The reason why Enrique went more lateral was very simple. He realised if they were going to achieve anything, it was getting the best out of MSN. Therefore he set them up to give them less defensive responsibility and allow them more space. It worked very well in the first season but last 12 months, they've not been getting the ball early enough.
The other tactical problem is that there's no attacking outlet down their right. Everything comes through Neymar as messi have moved deeper and more central. Don't think that has anything to do with positional play or lateral football, it's just poor balance. Why they didn't sign a wingback is a mystery to me.

Womp

idiot
It's exactly what they did. Just look at Andre Gomes, they had Sergi Roberto performing well in midfield and instead of spending half of André Gomes money on a right back, they spent it on a player inferior to Sergi and also weakened their right back position. Instead of offering decent money to Toulouse for Ben Yedder, they spent a lot on Alcacer who is an inferior and more expensive player.
Andre Gomes never looked, nor ever will be of the required quality for Barcelona imo. Having watched him at Valencia he never really impressed me at all, looked like a good player at best. Don't know what Barca saw in him, especially for the price they paid.

Adisa

Andre Gomes never looked, nor ever will be of the required quality for Barcelona imo. Having watched him at Valencia he never really impressed me at all, looked like a good player at best. Don't know what Barca saw in him, especially for the price they paid.
Iirc, Madrid were about to sign him when Barca swooped?

Womp

idiot
Iirc, Madrid were about to sign him when Barca swooped?
I don't see why they would, he's not as good as any of their options, in fact their backups are better imo. I'd take Isco over Gomes any day. Odd.

daveoliver91

Barcelona fans are a little bit harsh with their players. I am following a Spanish forum where there are so many Barcelona fans, and for instance, a user has posted the below:

#1 Marc-Andreu ter Stegen.
#3 Gerard Piqué.
#4 Ivan Rakitić.
#5 Sergio Busquets.
#6 Denis Suárez.
#7 Arda Turan.
#8 Andrés Iniesta.
#9 Luis Suárez.
#10 Lionel Messi.
#11 Neymar Júnior.

#12 Rafinha.
#13 Jasper Cillessen.
#14 Javier Mascherano.
#17 Paco Alcácer.
#18 Jordi Alba.
#19 Lucas Digne.
#20 Sergi Roberto.
#21 André Gomes.
#22 Aleix Vidal.
#23 Samuel Umtiti.
#24 Jérémy Mathieu.
#25 Jordi Masip.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEDIDOS (On loan)
- Douglas.
- Thomas Vermaelen.
- Sergi Samper
- Cristian Tello
- Munir.

The players highlighted are the ones they would keep for next season.

Obviously first they need to find a good manager and basically sell some of the "garbage" players they do have.

Womp

idiot
Barcelona fans are a little bit harsh with their players. I am following a Spanish forum where there are so many Barcelona fans, and for instance, a user has posted the below:

#1 Marc-Andreu ter Stegen.
#3 Gerard Piqué.
#4 Ivan Rakitić.
#5 Sergio Busquets.
#6 Denis Suárez.
#7 Arda Turan.
#8 Andrés Iniesta.
#9 Luis Suárez.
#10 Lionel Messi.
#11 Neymar Júnior.

#12 Rafinha.
#13 Jasper Cillessen.
#14 Javier Mascherano.
#17 Paco Alcácer.
#18 Jordi Alba.
#19 Lucas Digne.
#20 Sergi Roberto.
#21 André Gomes.
#22 Aleix Vidal.
#23 Samuel Umtiti.
#24 Jérémy Mathieu.
#25 Jordi Masip.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEDIDOS (On loan)
- Douglas.
- Thomas Vermaelen.
- Sergi Samper
- Cristian Tello
- Munir.

The players highlighted are the ones they would keep for next season.

Obviously first they need to find a good manager and basically sell some of the "garbage" players they do have.
Hasn't Rafinha been decent for them this season?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
True, different sources give different numbers.

But the general consensus is that Real, Barca and United the top 3 and fairly close to one another.

@Treble_Winning claimed that several PL times are significantly wealthier than Barcelona because of their TV deals. This of course, is objectively false.
From those graphs it looks like the only real difference between Real, Barca from United is the broadcasting revenue. Premier league sells its broadcasting rights as a package where as La Liga teams sell their own rights.

Stacks

A bit of overreacting here. What they need is a top RB and a top CM. Busquets is still good enough for the DM role and Rakitic has shown he can perform for this Barca team. They just need a top CM to have next to Rakitic with Busquets behind the 2.
Their last transferwindow has been shit but they'll recover.

Also, keep Messi as close to the 16 as possible.
Indeed. The biggest change is losing Dani Alvez and Iniesta's decline. Maybe Puyol if we go further back. People love to be dramatic

The first option is very risky. I don't know the state of their youth talent but if those players come in and dont perform well in the first team, they could end up third behind Atletico next season. The other trouble with going back to their roots and playing the positional game with a ridiculously high defensive line is that, it will expose their shaky defense even more. Also, it will require their forward line to start pressing again because there's no point playing the high line without pressure on the ball. I'm not sure they want to do that, especially Messi. The positional game, to be done well, requres a huge amount of effort.
The reason why Enrique went more lateral was very simple. He realised if they were going to achieve anything, it was getting the best out of MSN. Therefore he set them up to give them less defensive responsibility and allow them more space. It worked very well in the first season but last 12 months, they've not been getting the ball early enough.
The other tactical problem is that there's no attacking outlet down their right. Everything comes through Neymar as messi have moved deeper and more central. Don't think that has anything to do with positional play or lateral football, it's just poor balance. Why they didn't sign a wingback is a mystery to me.
There 1st team is still better than Athletico's so why would they be 3rd

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Actually...Iniesta is on €15M a year in base salary which can rise up to €18M with bonuses. Mascherano is on roughly €11/12M a year. That's £242k a week for Iniesta, and £193k a week for Masche. That's £435k a week between the two of them, and that doesn't include bonuses

As for Suarez, he's on roughly £515k a week. If those three were on £100k a week(which is ridiculous to even think about it, honestly), you'd be saving up £600k a week in wages :lol:

also? Messi makes £650k a week, AND he wants double that to sign a new contract...

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona

This board has done great deals for consistent players like Digne, Umtiti and Rakitic. We're even going to buy back Deulofeu for some spare change this year, not all bad decisions.

The problem comes when they try to do a Florentino and sign "galacticos" for a squad that really didn't need them. Andre Gomes, Alcacer and Turan are great examples of how to throw money trying to get some big profile signings that weren't needed at that point.

Had they done things right following instruction from the guys that built the most successful squad ever, we'd be still set for a couple more years with a midfield of Busquets, Rakitic, Thiago and Ander Herrera. Instead we have the worst one of the Alcantara brothers, and Andre Gomes

Adisa

This board has done great deals for consistent players like Digne, Umtiti and Rakitic. We're even going to buy back Deulofeu for some spare change this year, not all bad decisions.

The problem comes when they try to do a Florentino and sign "galacticos" for a squad that really didn't need them. Andre Gomes, Alcacer and Turan are great examples of how to throw money trying to get some big profile signings that weren't needed at that point.

Had they done things right following instruction from the guys that built the most successful squad ever, we'd be still set for a couple more years with a midfield of Busquets, Rakitic, Thiago and Ander Herrera. Instead we have the worst one of the Alcantara brothers, and Andre Gomes
Going back would be such a bad move for Deulofeu.

Adisa

Indeed. The biggest change is losing Dani Alvez and Iniesta's decline. Maybe Puyol if we go further back. People love to be dramatic

There 1st team is still better than Athletico's so why would they be 3rd
The poster spoke about replacing aging members of the first team like Iniesta and Mascherano with La Masia players.