FC Barcelona launches its first NFT collection in association with Plastiks

Suedesi

So this company has created a marketplace that connects plastic recovery projects with companies willing to sponsor their impact. They essentially support plastic recovery activities through technology and NFTs.

FC Barcelona is the first team they've signed, and they're working with half a dozen PL clubs, MLS and MLB teams as well.

Is this a way for clubs to raise revenue, do good or both? Or is this meaningless in the large scheme of things? Personally I get turned off all things NFT, but smarter people than me can have a different view

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Cheapening their image piece my piece, month after month. It’s sad what is happening to this once great club.

The Barcelona of old would have been above this. Chasing the oil clubs has taken their soul.

CatsOfUlthar

Isn't the existence of NFTs in their current form pretty anti environmental anyway?

This might be my natural cynicism speaking here, but is there a way they can use this association to run money through books in any way that benefits them?

Tarrou

Isn't the existence of NFTs in their current form pretty anti environmental anyway?

This might be my natural cynicism speaking here, but is there a way they can use this association to run money through books in any way that benefits them?
It's on the Celo network, which bills itself as environmentally friendly, but i don't know if that's true or not

it was Ethereum that was dodgy for the nenvironment when it was proof of work as it consumes a feck-tonne of electricity. But even Ethereum has sorted that out now by migrating to proof of stake

CatsOfUlthar

It's on the Celo network, which bills itself as environmentally friendly, but i don't know if that's true or not

it was Ethereum that was dodgy for the nenvironment when it was proof of work as it consumes a feck-tonne of electricity. But even Ethereum has sorted that out now by migrating to proof of stake
That's fair enough then, sorry, I probably should have read a bit more before jumping in haha, appreciate the education.

I think my original secondary assessment is going to stand for now though, I really feel like anything and everything they do is aimed at skewing the financial situation of the club. I'm just trying to figure a way this works that way for them.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
Cheapening their image piece my piece, month after month. It’s sad what is happening to this once great club.

The Barcelona of old would have been above this. Chasing the oil clubs has taken their soul.
More than chasing the oil clubs, the bankrupt Bartomeu left has forced us to do things we wouldn't otherwise do.

Maluco

More than chasing the oil clubs, the bankrupt Bartomeu left has forced us to do things we wouldn't otherwise do.
But his actions, or reactions, were him attempting to chase the oil clubs surely? The Neymar deal and fallout was an absolutely disaster, for example.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
But his actions, or reactions, were him attempting to chase the oil clubs surely? The Neymar deal and fallout was an absolutely disaster, for example.
Some of the things he did are really hard to explain he raised a lot of salaries for players like Busquets, Piqué, Alba, etc. Who honestly no other club was going to come and sign. They were already in their 30's and past their prime.

Maluco

Some of the things he did are really hard to explain he raised a lot of salaries for players like Busquets, Piqué, Alba, etc. Who honestly no other club was going to come and sign. They were already in their 30's and past their prime.
It’s hard to think that it wasn’t some sort of sabotage job. Such strange behavior, as you say. I am sure more will come out about his tenure in the future.

Tarrou

That's fair enough then, sorry, I probably should have read a bit more before jumping in haha, appreciate the education.

I think my original secondary assessment is going to stand for now though, I really feel like anything and everything they do is aimed at skewing the financial situation of the club. I'm just trying to figure a way this works that way for them.
yeah I agree with you

I don’t think any club should be touching NFTs at the moment because they are highly speculative financial investments that a lot of people lose money on regularly

And Barca already opened up the crypto can of worms with that other fan token thing, which was also complete bollocks and scammy af

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Plastiks better build another company named Plastiks R Us and start sponsoring City.

I thought you meant they were partnering with City.

They're desperate for any money they can get and have long since sold their soul.