Subs :

Carrol
Wes
Djemba
ole
Kleberson
Bellion
Saha

i first thought 4-4-2, would be good and to play saha but then it is CL and 4-4-2 in EPL has shown our weaknesses so its important to have 2 DM's in this line up against porto who can attack and have some skillful players. Deco will really pressure us.

Rio out with ban
Silvestre out with injury

Cal?

CR7 fan
I don't think we're going to keep a clean sheet anyway, so we might as well try to grab as many away goals as possible.

-----------------Howard-------------------
--Phil------Gary-------O'Shea-----Fortune--
--Cris------Keano------Scholes-----Giggs---
------------Saha-------Ruud---------------

Yianni

Cal said:
I don't think we're going to keep a clean sheet anyway, so we might as well try to grab as many away goals as possible.

-----------------Howard-------------------
--Phil------Gary-------O'Shea-----Fortune--
--Cris------Keano------Scholes-----Giggs---
------------Saha-------Ruud---------------

My first intention was to play with that same formation and line up but dont forget we have been conceding alot of goals with the 4-4-2 formation. With the 4-2-3-1 formation we are putting 2 DM players infront of the defence to help them.

SAF hasnt played with a 4-4-2 formation in europe going back before Ruud arrived to OT. When Ruud first started playing for us thats when he used the 4-5-1 formation in the CL.

I think United really need to push and attack early, fight for every ball as though their lives depend on it, rather then watch the ball they need to be on top of it and leave no space for players like Deco to play around with the ball. an early goal will really boost their confidence and put alot of pressure on Porto.

jayjay

Not a chance in hell that we'll keep a clean sheet, so as said we might as well go 4-4-2.

-----------------Howard------------------
--Djemba----Gary-------O'Shea------Phil--
--Ronaldo---Keano------Scholes-----Giggs
-------------Saha-------Ruud-------------

sebaveron

should be...

Howard
Gary - O'Shea - Silvestre/Brown - P.Neville
Keane - Butt
Ronaldo - Scholes - Giggs
Saha/Ruud

Fortune is NOT a left back, thus I think P.Neville should hold that place from now on.....

Mr. Wood

Circle Jerkin' Wannabe
I must admit I'm scared shitless over this one.

Two defensive midfielders is a must.

Hopefully Gaz will be moved to the center of defence, as I somehow don't like Brown and O'Shea there.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Not saying it has a chance, but what about 3-5-2?

Tim
Gaz-Brown-O'Shea
Keane-Butt
Cris-Scholes-Giggs
Saha-Ruud

With 3 at the back it is a must that the 3 defenders not get caught out of position and Butt will be holding deep. Not sure if it could work though. But it gives United 5 attacking players and Keane in support.

Irwin

we should probably play our best available team for a change.

-----------------Howard------------------
--Phil--------Gary-----O'Shea-----Fortune-
--Ronaldo---Keano------Butt--------Giggs-
--------------------Scholesy--------------
------------------Ruud--------------------

A strong center midfield is a must IMO.

lonbwoy

Forget about one-up-front if we wanna win this game, we have to play Ruud and Saha together and also I would play wes at RB, he can do a good job there.

Juvenaldo

MU-

howard
P.Neville
G.Neville
Brown
O´Shea
Keane
Scholes
Ronaldo
Giggs
Saha
RVN

Porto-

Baia
P.Ferreira
N.Valente
R.Carvalho
J.Costa
P.Mendes
Maniche
Alenichev (C.Alberto)
Deco
McCarthy
Jankauskas

Go Porto :D

2-0 Deco,Maniche ;)

Irwin

MrMarcello said:
All along SAF wanted a striker that was not cuptied so now he gets one and people are saying he should be on the bench?
Away from home in Europe at the moment, yes.

The most important thing for us in the away leg is to try and keep it tight and nick an away goal. Not play some formation we've never played before with 3 at the back having just conceeded 30 odd in our last couple of games.

KidCreole

MrMarcello said:
All along SAF wanted a striker that was not cuptied so now he gets one and people are saying he should be on the bench?
It gives SAF the option... doesn't mean he always has to play him...

I agree with Irwin... keep it tight away from home... unleash him at OT...

Mr. Bungle

Would this be the sort of match for Kleberson?

The Portugese aren't exactly the most physical players, and his skill and slick passing could serve well against a side that likes to play pretty football.

I would stick him next to Keano in central midfield and Scholes in front of them both.

osterdal

Team will be:

Howard
Gaz O'Shea Wes* Fortune
Phizza Keane
Ronaldo Scholes Giggs
Ruud

*Micky if fit.

Keane16

Redcafe Minister for Guinness Therapy
Mr. Bungle said:

The Portugese aren't exactly the most physical players, and his skill and slick passing could serve well against a side that likes to play pretty football.

I would stick him next to Keano in central midfield and Scholes in front of them both.
Its not the worst suggestion I've ever heard. If we were in form (and if Kleberson were in form) and playing at home, I would go for it, but as it is.....

KidCreole

Mr. Bungle said:

Nope... can't afford to take risks in important games like these... we need our big match players for these type of games... i'd go for a more physical midfield... stick Phil next to keano...

Mr. Wood

Circle Jerkin' Wannabe
I don't suppose anyone knows if there will be an internet broadcast of the match?

And will Sky Sports have a radio link?

Jacqueline_S

Banned Jackie Chan lookalike
Tony Ferrino Posted: Feb 22 2004, 05:42 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 81

Ruud Van Nistelrooy will NOT be playing in our home leg.
This is true - a friend of mine is in the Maltese Man Utd supporters club and he is very good friends with the scottish knight Ferguson and also Dwight Yorke, and the scottish knight Ferguson told him Louis Saha NOT Ruud Van Nistelrooy will face us at home.
That is really good news! Up porto! :D

BlueBeliever Posted: Feb 22 2004, 05:48 PM

Taji o Conquistador...!

Member No.: 26

Good news...
But...
How reliable...
Is your source...?

Tony Ferrino Posted: Feb 22 2004, 05:52 PM

Member No.: 81

Extremely reliable, safe to say true, this info will not come out till late but Van Nis had a niggle and will NOT be risked (but the replay, probably). My source is perfect, he is an old friend of the scottish knight Ferguson and has even seen live the 'hairdryer treatment' over his own mobile phone!
stole from the FC POrto thread,
perhaps many of you've read this already *getting ready for the redcafe summer tour again?? hehe*

so... this dear Tony Ferrino friend said no ruudy... and his friend ''seen live the 'hairdryer treatment' over his own mobile phone''.... wonder what that would like... :rolleyes:

Jacqueline_S

Mr. Wood said:
I don't suppose anyone knows if there will be an internet broadcast of the match?

And will Sky Sports have a radio link?
not sure, but I'm pretty sure BBC 5 has live...
19:00 i think
and SET has live...
for both leg.
in canada...:D
but i can't figure out what channel's that... :smirk:

Mr. Wood

Circle Jerkin' Wannabe
jacqueline said:
not sure, but I'm pretty sure BBC 5 has live...
19:00 i think
and SET has live...
for both leg.
in canada...:D
but i can't figure out what channel's that... :smirk:
Aye, just realized it's on Setanta.

I'll be going to the pub for that one ... :D

Jacqueline_S

Mr. Wood said:
Aye, just realized it's on Setanta.

I'll be going to the pub for that one ... :D
can i subscripe the Sentanta channel??
no on rogers, no on bell....:smirk:...

Mr. Wood

Circle Jerkin' Wannabe
jacqueline said:
can i subscripe the Sentanta channel??
no on rogers, no on bell....:smirk:...
Setanta is only PPV so I don't think you can subscribe to it. Most events are available if you have satellite (including Bell ExpressVu), but some events (I THINK that includes the Porto v United game) in are only available to pubs and other businesses.

Check the Setanta site here for a pub locator.

kf

jacqueline said:
stole from the FC POrto thread,
perhaps many of you've read this already *getting ready for the redcafe summer tour again?? hehe*

so... this dear Tony Ferrino friend said no ruudy... and his friend ''seen live the 'hairdryer treatment' over his own mobile phone''.... wonder what that would like... :rolleyes:
:lol:

Tony Ferrino's source

Do you think Tony likes bacon?

Mr. Bungle

Mikael is out then. :nervous:

No 442 with a makeshift back four.
Ronaldo should play since it is in Portugal, but Fergie said he will put out the most experienced line-up possible and this is the team I hope to see:

--------------------Howard------------------

--G Neville---O'Shea--Keane---P Neville--

-----------------Butt---Scholes-------------

-----Ronaldo----Kleb/Saha(?)----Giggs----

----------------van Nistelrooy--------------

Kleberson's playing style is the best suited to that of the Portugese and we could do with his quick passing.

Fortune is well out of form ATM.

Mr. Wood

Circle Jerkin' Wannabe
---------Howard----------

Gaz-O'Shea-Keane-Fortune

--------Phil-Butt----------

Ronaldo---Scholes----Giggs

------van Nistelrooy-------

Still not sure about Keane in defence, but I think it has to be done.

Mr. Bungle

Sky Sports News said that Roy will drop into defence and partner Wes Brown.

And Fergie said that Wes is two or three games until returning to full fitness

claci

Mr. Wood said:
---------Howard----------

Gaz-O'Shea-Keane-Fortune

--------Phil-Butt----------

Ronaldo---Scholes----Giggs

------van Nistelrooy-------

Still not sure about Keane in defence, but I think it has to be done.
Yes. I'd like to see this start-up line above. We cant afford to make any mistake's and I think will win this game 0-3 or 1-3. Ruud 2 and Scholesy 1.

-cheers

lonbwoy

Keano is ok in defence in the CL, but people should realise it will not be a good idea for him to play defence in the PL, Fergie will have no option but to play O'shea and Wes now!!.

joaojudas

hello..

i start to say... that "Tony Ferrino"... isn't a f....g portuguese name :lol: ...... i don't understand the conversacion.... but that should br some crazy allucinacion. Why is he posting in Porto forum????? :houllier:

I wish very good luck to Manchester :keano: , Good on defense please. :rolleyes:

...and lots of concentration in the offensive central.

There was times i wish a portuguese team win in europe.... but Porto. Not anymore!!!! :nono:

but i'm afraid.... :nervous:

best compliments

Gazza

Mr. Bungle said:
Sky Sports News said that Roy will drop into defence and partner Wes Brown.

And Fergie said that Wes is two or three games until returning to full fitness
If Wes is 2-3 games short of fitness then he shouldn't be starting a CL QF.

joaojudas

i read now on RTP1 (portuguese tv)
that Porto don't have 6 players for the first leg
Sérgio Conceição (already played in europe) - right winger
Derlei (injury) - forward
Maciel (already played in europe) - forward
César Peixoto (injuy) - left winger
Costinha (card's) - defensive midfield
Marco Ferreira (injury) - forward

thereddevil

Our defence is the major worry. Silvestre out for up to 3 weeks (misses the return leg amongst other important fixtures).

The tabloids are screaming for Keane to play and reckon Keane himself is getting annoyed at being left on the bench so much... says he retired from International footie so he can play more for Man Utd (as Shearer does for Newcastle).

However, Fergie seems to think he can't play two games per week without dying.

Personally, I would like to see Keane start... whether it be in defence or midfield is irrelevant to me... he can do both jobs very well.

Just the fact that he is on the pitch handing out rollockings where necessary should help keep players concentrated.

Putting him on after 60 minutes smacks of shutting the door after the horse has bolted to me.

I would also like to see Saha start in this one... I don't believe he was injured at the weekend, it was just another of Fergie's mysterious selection policies this season that backfired.

The lad is on fire and he desperately wants to sample CL football so this would seem the ideal game.

The only major selection headache Fergie has is who to play in Midfield. Personally, I would like him to put a bit more faith in Ronaldo. He's learned a lot this season and has been pretty effective whenever he's played recently.

I would like to see Kleberson play more and the only reason I don't think Fergie will pick him is because he will want a defensive midfielder in there.

This could be the game that makes Butt decide his future DOES lie at OT.

I expect him to be picked and to shine.

Gazza

thereddevil said:
Our defence is the major worry. Silvestre out for up to 3 weeks (misses the return leg amongst other important fixtures).

The tabloids are screaming for Keane to play and reckon Keane himself is getting annoyed at being left on the bench so much... says he retired from International footie so he can play more for Man Utd (as Shearer does for Newcastle).

However, Fergie seems to think he can't play two games per week without dying.

Personally, I would like to see Keane start... whether it be in defence or midfield is irrelevant to me... he can do both jobs very well.

Just the fact that he is on the pitch handing out rollockings where necessary should help keep players concentrated.

Putting him on after 60 minutes smacks of shutting the door after the horse has bolted to me.

I would also like to see Saha start in this one... I don't believe he was injured at the weekend, it was just another of Fergie's mysterious selection policies this season that backfired.

The lad is on fire and he desperately wants to sample CL football so this would seem the ideal game.

The only major selection headache Fergie has is who to play in Midfield. Personally, I would like him to put a bit more faith in Ronaldo. He's learned a lot this season and has been pretty effective whenever he's played recently.

I would like to see Kleberson play more and the only reason I don't think Fergie will pick him is because he will want a defensive midfielder in there.

This could be the game that makes Butt decide his future DOES lie at OT.

I expect him to be picked and to shine.
Good post

Status
Not open for further replies.