[FCUoM] About F*%$£&*g TIME

Scholes.92

The experience and reasoning behind FC is different for everyone these days and the Glazer takeover was just the catalyst for this. Back in 2005 that was certainly the reason I became a founding member, it was purely a thing of principle - I would not be used to pay off the debt put in place by parasite businessmen with no interest in anything other than making a profit for themselves. But all that has been gone over many times elsewhere. I didn't know what I'd do if the Glazers jumped ship. Would I go back to Old Trafford?

But these days for me (and I in no way speak for the few thousand that go to watch FC), it's about being able to be a part of something that top flight football can't offer – an affordable match day, a true connection as a supporter of a club rather than being a customer and (maybe the contentious thing that I get out of it) a more dignified sport on the pitch. What I mean by this is there is less diving and cheating, the players are clearly more grounded individuals. Yeah, of course the standard is way below the skill levels of the Premier League, but the passion is there in spades.

I think the big turning point for me was the 2010 World Cup when you had Rooney slagging off the people who had paid thousands of pounds to follow England to South Africa and quite rightly felt they were in a position to let the team know what they thought of their performance. This same player has been rewarded with massive pay rises for quite cnutish behaviour in games of financial chicken with Man United TWICE in the past few years. You see the money doing filthy things at the top level and the people who run the game are even more corrupt. It's a grimey sport that for me leaves a bad taste in the mouth and of course that is even more relevant at the moment with that arsehole Suarez doing his best to taint the best World Cup in over a decade.

I've become completely disenfranchised by the game at the top (I've even stopped my Sky Sports subscription) and all the time I've been a part of a club where I'm helping to build a stadium, who is effecting real change in it's immediate community. To me it's the difference between growing your own potatoes and buying shrink wrapped genetically enhanced jacket spuds from the harshly lit, musac piping super markets. My potatoes might be smaller and come in weird shapes, but they taste better and they are good for the soul. That's right, I'm using metaphorical potatoes to explain what FC means to me on a Friday night. ROCK AND feckING ROLL.

People have said to me that they can't understand it... 'you can't leave your football club' they say. Well I say I didn't leave MY football club. MY club was the one I followed from before Fergie came to United and right through the glorious 90's into the '00s. The product and money making machine that I no longer go and see, no longer give my money is foreign to me.

As I say, other FC fans might say that's all a load of bollocks. But that's the joy of FC, there's no marketing machine to tell me I'm wrong.
thanks for the reply mate, only just been able to get on so havent been able to read it til now. Yeah i expected a reply like that, I suppose after following them for almost 10 years that they will become your club rather than a symbol of protest. I agree on your Rooney point and it does make you feel less in love with the game when someone who was always show as a player who plays how he would in the park, would play for free, just for the love of football and all this other shit that the media have always said about, turns around and starts demanding money from the club

like the part about the potatoes ;) haha I get what you mean, I might buy a few shirts and attend a few games but I know that whether Im a united fan or not my £500 or so that i've spent on the club in my lifetime means absolutely nothing, whereas knowing you as a person and fan have made a difference, that your valued where as fans at Clubs like United and other top clubs are just used as a customer and if your not there someone will take your place. I do love the club but thats the part of football I think we all hate.

Thing is with me being younger I dont have that pre fergie or 90s knowledge to fall back on, I have brief memories of the 90s but most of my footballing memories come from 2003 onwards, so the years of big money, sponsorship , the Glazers are all I know. So although I don't like them as owners because of the debt issue I can't say the club is now hugely different from the club I originally loved. Plus the club for me isnt any person,owner manager or even any fan, its a collecting of these things, that pass on through generation to generation, its why Old Traffords name shouldn't be changed because its the one constant, the one thing that could say it is always part of the club. Renaming it or the clubs name or changing coulors are the only ways I would say the club has changed enough.

I do follow FC from afar though, check up results now and again and hope you all do well, i've love you to get into the Football League, I would like attend a game sometime. I've considered going when you play Nantwich as they're local to me but have never got round to it.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Football on the whole is fecked, the thing is a corrupt mess from top to bottom.

Supporter culture is the only thing left that retains any level of respectability in my eyes.

The problem is MUFC on the whole no longer care about supporter culture, just look at the dreadful way they dealt with the "singing section".

I was stuck for a lift to an FC away game a while ago, I posted on twitter asking for help, within minutes the top scorer (Tom Greaves) said he'd take me. That sums it up for me.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Football on the whole is fecked, the thing is a corrupt mess from top to bottom.

Supporter culture is the only thing left that retains any level of respectability in my eyes.

The problem is MUFC on the whole no longer care about supporter culture, just look at the dreadful way they dealt with the "singing section".

I was stuck for a lift to an FC away game a while ago, I posted on twitter asking for help, within minutes the top scorer (Tom Greaves) said he'd take me. That sums it up for me.
Well yes, you'd probably struggle to get a lift off one of the United players.

But I'd guess you'd have probably got a lift off one of the thousands of United fans dotted around!

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
It's taking shape now, Mick.

Was down at Broadhurst on Saturday; very impressive progress considering the real construction work only started, what, six months ago?

mickthered

it was never going to be ready for the first home game

the hand over date was originally planned for the end of September with staged events after that for the safety certificate

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not knowing what this thread was about when I saw the title I thought Vidal had signed :(

mickthered

think that ones been going on longer then the new build and I know which one I would put my money on being completed first

Aussie_Red_Devil

Hey guys is there any way to watch FCUM games online? id be interested in having a look at some games throughout the season.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
I still can't believe it's actually happening

Seems like 5 minutes since that first proper day on the MRE

Wolfboy

No relation to Wolf Man
I know what you mean, I remember going to Wimbeldon away in the first season for my first match. It felt special that day but even so I wouldn't have a put a lot of money on us being so close to playing on our own pitch less than 10 years later.

It's been a great achievement and it feels amazing to have been a part of it.

I'm getting proper nervous that the first game is going to slip into November and it's going to clash with our holiday this year (off to Iceland to hopefully see the northern lights). I'm not worried that I'll miss the first game, I'm worried about the length of time I'll be in the bad books with my other half for cancelling a holiday.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Have you met that Chinese lad by the way?

Seems to be loving it, was stood on our coach on Sunday bouncing around to "we're having a party coz Glazers dead"

Wolfboy

No relation to Wolf Man
No I couldn't get up for the games, we're moving house at the moment which is eating all of the weekends. It's the first time we've ever been in a chain and I can say wholeheartedly that selling and buying at the same time is a massive ball-ache. I'll be glad when it all calms down a bit.

It's looking like my first game this season will be Ramsbottom United.

I've seen him on the FC facebook group though, he looks like he's having a great time over here.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
I say fair dues lads. Doing what you have done would resonate with many GAA people as this is what the GAA is all about. Building something in your community and making it the best that it can be. It's some commitment to raise a club, even to this level and I wish you further success.

Two questions @mickthered : what capacity will the ground have and how far is it from OT?

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
I say fair dues lads. Doing what you have done would resonate with many GAA people as this is what the GAA is all about. Building something in your community and making it the best that it can be. It's some commitment to raise a club, even to this level and I wish you further success.

Two questions @mickthered : what capacity will the ground have and how far is it from OT?
I think it's about 4800 (ish) to start with, think we have permission to take it just over 5000 if needed.

It's a short train/bus journey from centre of Manchester.

Wolfboy

No relation to Wolf Man

Things are coming along nicely, but I doubt we're going to see a game in there in 2014. I see on the fixtures that the game on New Years Day still has TBC in the location column at the moment, it would be amazing if we were in for then; but to my uneducated eye it looks like it's going to be Jan/Feb now.

Wolfboy

No relation to Wolf Man
Has anyone else heard anything more concrete about the realistic first game date?

Also, when you open a public building of this type you have to have test events ahead of the regular use. Has anyone heard what these events might be?

Sir A1ex

Things are coming along nicely, but I doubt we're going to see a game in there in 2014. I see on the fixtures that the game on New Years Day still has TBC in the location column at the moment, it would be amazing if we were in for then; but to my uneducated eye it looks like it's going to be Jan/Feb now.
Is that video bang up to date? If so, i'd say you're looking at a while yet.

I'm not trying to be a smart-arse, but how has this slipped so much in the course of a few months? In the spring they were still talking about August!

Wolfboy

No relation to Wolf Man
Is that video bang up to date? If so, i'd say you're looking at a while yet.

I'm not trying to be a smart-arse, but how has this slipped so much in the course of a few months? In the spring they were still talking about August!
There were a few delays in the Autumn with the weather, I guess these things never go to plan. I also believe this last stand is taking a bit longer because the pitch is already down, which means it has to be erected from the back. I think it would have gone up pretty quickly if it had been done before the pitch, as it is it's really awkward to build.

Sir A1ex

Small teams can go family friendly and all that, but when you climb up the ladder of success, you'll become money minded naturally. Them star players don't accept gratitude as wage
The impression I've got from most people involved is that, if it came down to it, they'd put the club ethos ahead of success on the pitch.
Not that the two are necessarily mutually exclusive.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
February seems realistic. It appears as though we've booked Curzon Ashton's ground for 6 games.

The test events could be anything, heard a suggestion that it might be Moston Juniors playing.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Small teams can go family friendly and all that, but when you climb up the ladder of success, you'll become money minded naturally. Them star players don't accept gratitude as wage
No problem with being "money minded".

The issue is outside businessmen taking money out of the club. If we start getting crowds of 3000 on a regular basis, there's no reason why we couldn't become a solid Conference standard team. That money can be spent on improving facilities, more development staff, further community work and obviously better players.

Charlie Foley

Can't see those photos, am I the only one?

fair play, you've come a long way for such a young football club, in this day and age it's all quite commendable (leaving the split from United discussion aside cos I'm not interested in all that).