[FCUoM] Can't beat a very late winner...

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Well that was exciting! Great stuff. Although, I still get weird feelings about the concept of FCUoM. There'll only be one United for me.
The formation of both clubs were under very different circumstances to be fair. I would like to think not, because no FCUM fans want United to fail, or deny the validity of MUFC. They remain supporters of Manchester United Football Club, celebrate their success and want the club to be successful. They just refuse to line the pockets of the owners...and have decided that, as long standing supporters of their football club, they have been ignored too long.

AFC Wimbledon fans relationship with MK Dons is a totally different matter, and for good reason.

I'm sure you'd have a few idiots, but it's a totally different relationship.

londonredmaniac

Well that was exciting! Great stuff. Although, I still get weird feelings about the concept of FCUoM. There'll only be one United for me.
It's a great concept. Fan owned football club, family orientated with affordable tickets and a good atmosphere.

I could never love them like I love United, but every success should be lauded for them. Great stuff from a set of predominently match going fans who were fed up of being taken the piss out of. As I say, they no more 'turned their back on United' than anyone else who tunes in to watch games on the tele. I don't know a single FCUM fan who doesn't tune in to every MUFC game. They simply wont go to the games in the flesh anymore.

They stopped paying to get into OT to watch their team because they were fed up of being ignored, marginalised etc.

Jammydodger7

I often wonder if FCUoM and MUFC ever ended up playing against each other in the FA Cup would there be the same kind of acrimony there was when AFC Wimbledon played the MK Dons?
I often wonder myself, I don't think there would but you never know!

I remember a couple of years ago when both were in the 3rd round draw and it came up, I think most FCUoM fans said that if they were drawn away to United then just wouldn't turn up, leaving the away side empty.

The Red Thinker

The formation of both clubs were under very different circumstances to be fair. I would like to think not, because no FCUM fans want United to fail, or deny the validity of MUFC. They remain supporters of Manchester United Football Club, celebrate their success and want the club to be successful. They just refuse to line the pockets of the owners...and have decided that, as long standing supporters of their football club, they have been ignored too long.

AFC Wimbledon fans relationship with MK Dons is a totally different matter, and for good reason.

I'm sure you'd have a few idiots, but it's a totally different relationship.
I appreciate you taking the time to explain. Though, I did know the reasons behind their support for FCUM before hand. It's just that saying the owners ignored the fans seems to indicate that the club has been disastrously run and we're languishing in mediocrity, which clearly is not the case.

If, of course, you are talking about the obscene ticket prices for matches then I can sympathise. Though, I would say that it is almost unilateral amongst the big clubs in England to charge obscene amounts of money for a ticket these days. It's a problem with the industry that is football and it needs to be addressed. However, we're not too bad. We come 7th in the PL list and for a club like United that's decent I would suggest. I want it to be lower, of course.

If there are other reasons that I'm not aware of, then by all means correct me. But, I just feel that to create your own club with a name similar to your parent club in an effort to show what is the "proper" way to run a club, just comes across a bit much for me. It's not like we're being run like Leeds. This is just me. Just my opinion.

londonredmaniac

I often wonder myself, I don't think there would but you never know!

I remember a couple of years ago when both were in the 3rd round draw and it came up, I think most FCUoM fans said that if they were drawn away to United then just wouldn't turn up, leaving the away side empty.
Indeed, that's always been the word from FCUM fans. They stopped going to OT as to not line the pockets of the people they were set against owning the club.

Just because they would be visiting and not home fans wouldn't change anything. You can see their logic. I still there would be some protest outside OT. Which could lead to a situation...though I would hope not. I'd happily join them, as many others would.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
I often wonder if FCUoM and MUFC ever ended up playing against each other in the FA Cup would there be the same kind of acrimony there was when AFC Wimbledon played the MK Dons?
The situation is very different.

Whilst FC and Wimbledon have similar ownership models, they were formed under different circumstances.

Wimbledon were formed as in effect they lost their club. MK Franchise were actually a new team that stole the place of an older one.

FC is an addition/alternative (for some) rather than a replacement. You'll often hear the calypso and various Cantona chants at matches. A group of FC fans including myself recently visited the grave of Duncan Edwards before a Midlands away.

There's still a fair amount that watch United (again including me). I just stopped having a Season Ticket a few years ago and going FC seemed obvious. £100 for a season ticket at FC and I can stand where I want and have a say in how the club is run.

londonredmaniac

I appreciate you taking the time to explain. Though, I did know the reasons behind their support for FCUM before hand. It's just that saying the owners ignored the fans seems to indicate that the club has been disastrously run and we're languishing in mediocrity, which clearly is not the case.

If, of course, you are talking about the obscene ticket prices for matches then I can sympathise. Though, I would say that it is almost unilateral amongst the big clubs in England to charge obscene amounts of money for a ticket these days. It's a problem with the industry that is football and it needs to be addressed. However, we're not too bad. We come 7th in the PL list and for a club like United that's decent I would suggest. I want it to be lower, of course.

If there are other reasons that I'm not aware of, then by all means correct me. But, I just feel that to create your own club with a name similar to your parent club in an effort to show what is the "proper" way to run a club, just comes across a bit much for me. It's not like we're being run like Leeds. This is just me. Just my opinion.
No worries, it was a mixture of things. It's wasn't about as much mediocrity or the threat of less success, it had alot to do with opposition to the debt from day one, and though, as you say we're another Leeds, there was no need to take the risk of putting our football club into debt in the first place.

The fact is it looks like we will service the debt, but why should we? We weren't in debt before these lot arrived. They took a risk with our football club, a calculated one, but a risk none the less. We have seen money disappear from the club to the line our owners pockets and it leaves a very sour taste in the mouth of alot of folk, including me. But that's another story.

Anyway, not to derail the thread, because it's not an FCUM debate thread as such. FCUM fans still have a deep love for MUFC, anyone who says not basically is clueless, lying or just plain stirring :)

That's why I don't think a meeting of the two sides should cause any issues between the support.

londonredmaniac

Whilst FC and Wimbledon have similar ownership models, they were formed under different circumstances.

Wimbledon were formed as in effect they lost their club. MK Franchise were actually a new team that stole the place of an older one.

FC is an addition/alternative (for some) rather than a replacement. You'll often hear the calypso and various Cantona chants at matches. A group of FC fans including myself recently visited the grave of Duncan Edwards before a Midlands away.

There's still a fair amount that watch United (again including me). I just stopped having a Season Ticket a few years ago and going FC seemed obvious. £100 for a season ticket at FC and I can stand where I want and have a say in how the club is run.
Pretty much :)

The Red Thinker

No worries, it was a mixture of things. It's wasn't about as much mediocrity or the threat of less success, it had alot to do with opposition to the debt from day one, and though, as you say we're another Leeds, there was no need to take the risk of putting our football club into debt in the first place.

The fact is it looks like we will service the debt, but why should we? We weren't in debt before these lot arrived. They took a risk with our football club, a calculated one, but a risk none the less. We have seen money disappear from the club to the line our owners pockets and it leaves a very sour taste in the mouth of alot of folk, including me. But that's another story.

Anyway, not to derail the thread, because it's not an FCUM debate thread as such. FCUM fans still have a deep love for MUFC, anyone who says not basically is clueless, lying or just plain stirring :)

That's why I don't think a meeting of the two sides should cause any issues between the support.
Well said. I am sure that most of the FCUM fans are like you.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Yeah, I appreciate the scenarios are very different. Would be a slightly strange atmosphere all the same. Thinking about it, you might get the exact opposite to what happened with the MK Dons, as I reckon the vast majority of MUFC fans on the night would have a soft spot for the opposition team.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Yeah, I appreciate the scenarios are very different. Would be a slightly strange atmosphere all the same. Thinking about it, you might get the exact opposite to what happened with the MK Dons, as I reckon the vast majority of MUFC fans on the night would have a soft spot for the opposition team.
The far more likely scenario is FC United v Salford City.
A club owned by Manchester United fans v a club owned by former Manchester United players.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That own goal is bizarre.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
It was, funny thing is they hardly put a foot wrong for 90 minutes.

Their keeper applauded our fans at the end which was nice to see must have been gutted.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Home again tomorrow.

3pm kick off at Stalybridge.

£8 adults, £2 under 18s.

Get yourself down. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Wolfboy

No relation to Wolf Man
I've written about this in other threads before, so some of this is cut and paste from previous replies, but here's my two pence worth:

Firstly, as with most things at FC, there would be different views from different supporters and all personal takes on the situation would be respected. I personally wouldn't attend Old Trafford while the Glazers were still owners as it would be against my 'not another penny' stance. I have to say there would be a part of me that would enjoy the irony of a huge chunk of cash (in terms of FC turn over) coming out of the Glazers coffers to help run the club. But it would be a strange match because as already mentioned, many of the FC supporters wouldn't attend for the same reason as me and the away end would be practically empty.

The real hypothetical question for me that I would have to think about is: what would I do if FC were drawn at Old Trafford and the Glazers has sold up and taken their money back to the states?

I guess it would all depend on who was in charge, obviously of there was some kind of fan ownership in place (like Barca or a German team say) then I'd be there in the away end and I hope (and believe) it would be a great carnival atmosphere with most people in the stands getting the idea of two sets of separated supporters coming back together (I really hope I'm right on that).

If the Glazers just sell up to some other scum bag owner a'la City or Chelsea, or just sell to other money men out for larger profit margins for their own ends then I don't know.