[FCUoM] Target reached - what an achievment

Wolfboy

No relation to Wolf Man

A Manchester football club has raised £2m from a community share issue to help fund their ground building.

FC United of Manchester hoped to raise £750,000 when they were first issued shares in 2010, but have revised the total twice due to their popularity.

General manager Andy Walsh said it was "one of the largest amounts ever raised by football supporters".

The Northern Premier League club's £6.3m stadium and community facility in Moston is due to be completed by March.

A spokesman said the funding had come from 1,522 people with most investing £500 or less which had allowed the club to "unlock" a further £3m of grant funding.

He added: "Some people have invested more than £500 although we are not talking anyone with megabucks."

Board member Adam Brown said, although the share scheme was now closed, "we are still looking to raise funds to bridge gaps and improve the new ground".

Co-operatives UK, a trade association for co-operatives, has praised the club for its use of the community shares.

Mr Brown said he considered them "a preferable way of raising finance to borrowing from banks and more sustainable than relying on wealthy individuals".

"Our example has already inspired other clubs such as Wrexham and Portsmouth, showing that there is a better way for football."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-31653461

I can't wait for those first games when the ground opens - personally I think they should leave it till the Benfica match.

justboy68

A long time coming, great work by the fans. Shamefully haven't been down to see a game in the last few years but will have to make sure to get down to Broadhurst Park when it opens. That Benfica match will be special.

Wolfboy

No relation to Wolf Man
A long time coming, great work by the fans. Shamefully haven't been down to see a game in the last few years but will have to make sure to get down to Broadhurst Park when it opens. That Benfica match will be special.
If you're not at the moment, I'd make sure you're a member if you want to get into the Benfica match. I've heard nothing official as yet but my gut feeling is that the tickets will go to season ticket holders first, then members before going on open sale and with a capacity of around 4.5k I reckon it'll sell out. After all we had a crowd of 7k when we played Brighton in the 2nd round of the cup a few years ago.

justboy68

If you're not at the moment, I'd make sure you're a member if you want to get into the Benfica match. I've heard nothing official as yet but my gut feeling is that the tickets will go to season ticket holders first, then members before going on open sale and with a capacity of around 4.5k I reckon it'll sell out. After all we had a crowd of 7k when we played Brighton in the 2nd round of the cup a few years ago.
Yeah good point I will have to make sure to renew. Was an inaugural member along with my dad and used to go with him to most games home and away in the first couple of years but after I went to uni we just stopped going. Graduated now though so no excuses to not get back involved. Had some great days out following FC. Rochdale at Spotland was one of the best games and atmospheres I've ever been to. Hopefully more like that to come.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Would be great to see Manchester United play at Broadhurst sometime, maybe in the cup?
Never

Some of the c***s in Man United's support have a bizarre hatred of FC and would try and use it as an excuse to kick off.

Me personally, I could never cheer a goal against either team.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
That's great, good luck!