Federico Macheda

Interista

What an outstanding goal he scored, I'm very happy for the lad and for you guys too. Credit to Sir Alex for trusting so much in young talents. If Macheda had stayed at Lazio he would still have to wait 3-4 years before getting into first team action.

ch7

What an outstanding goal he scored, I'm very happy for the lad and for you guys too. Credit to Sir Alex for trusting so much in young talents. If Macheda had stayed at Lazio he would still have to wait 3-4 years before getting into first team action.
Interesting that you make that point as it reiterates what i've been reading from the 'la Gazzetta' site (thanks to google translate). The comments from the site show real frustration at young players not being given a chance by Italian coaches. SAF is being praised to the hilt there for not only giving a 17 year old a chance but also in a big game where he is put on to make a difference. Even when really young Italian players are given an opportunity in Serie A it is by foreign coaches e.g. Santon- Mourinho, Totti-Zeman.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Really? It gets me thinking.. How many teams in Italy really believe in blooding youngsters through at a young age? Or is it more the case of if you are good enough you are old enough?

Interista

Interesting that you make that point as it reiterates what i've been reading from the 'la Gazzetta' site (thanks to google translate). The comments from the site show real frustration at young players not being given a chance by Italian coaches. SAF is being praised to the hilt there for not only giving a 17 year old a chance but also in a big game where he is put on to make a difference. Even when really young Italian players are given an opportunity in Serie A it is by foreign coaches e.g. Santon- Mourinho, Totti-Zeman.
Yes, that's true and I really can't figure out why it is so. Here there's so much pressure and coaches are forced to get results at all costs so they maybe believe that it's easier to do that by utilizing more experienced players. Young talents are not being given enough chances neither by smaller clubs as it happened in the 90's. Everybody thought Mourinho had become mad for trusting in Santon and replacing Maxwell with a 18 years old kid.

Interista

Really? It gets me thinking.. How many teams in Italy really believe in blooding youngsters through at a young age? Or is it more the case of if you are good enough you are old enough?
To be fair, most clubs grow up youngsters in their academies and it's plenty of Italian talents but they're not given enough chances and over the years, some of them have never turned out to be first team players 'cause they were loaned out to serie B, to serie C clubs or, if they were given a chance and they bottled it, they have never been given another one to show up. Lots of young talented players got lost this way, it's very sad.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
To be fair, most clubs grow up youngsters in their academies and it's plenty of Italian talents but they're not given enough chances and over the years, some of them have never turned out to be first team players 'cause they were loaned out to serie B, to serie C clubs or, if they were given a chance and they bottled it, they have never been given another one to show up. Lots of young talented players got lost this way, it's very sad.
Thanks for that.. I definitely feel a whole lot less guilty for us taking Rossi, Macheda & Petrucci off Parma, Lazio & Roma respectively..

Virtuoso

Well said and good point, I said the same to my brother and you can see why it is such an attractive prospect for these talented young players to come to United etc because as Sir Alex said today "if you're good enough, you're old enough" - he was trusted for 30 of the most crucial minutes in our season and he did fantastically well.

Interista

Thanks for that.. I definitely feel a whole lot less guilty for us taking Rossi, Macheda & Petrucci off Parma, Lazio & Roma respectively..
Well that's my point of view, maybe other Italians wouldn't agree with me. I honestly think there's nothing to feel guilty :D

It's impossible to blame these kids, they want to become famous footballers, a massive club like Manchester United give them the chance to fulfill their dream, guarantee education and at the same time (this is the case of Petrucci if I remember correctly) offer their parents a job and a house in England. Italian clubs would just give the young players a minimum wage without getting interested in extra football issues like the financial situation of their families. That's why I don't understand all the hype around these transfers.

Interista

Well said and good point, I said the same to my brother and you can see why it is such an attractive prospect for these talented young players to come to United etc because as Sir Alex said today "if you're good enough, you're old enough" - he was trusted for 30 of the most crucial minutes in our season and he did fantastically well.
Yes, that's one of the biggest quality of your manager, I can't recall how many talents have turned into great players under the guidance of SAF. This is what all managers should do, giving talented kids the chance to shine, otherwise they will never grow as footballers. I really don't understand the mentality of some Italian clubs.

Name Changed

weso26
Would it be too early to get Macheda 41 on the back of one of my jerseys?

It didn't work out well the last time when I got McShane and 34 printed on the back of another jersey.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Would it be too early to get Macheda 41 on the back of one of my jerseys?

It didn't work out well the last time when I got McShane and 34 printed on the back of another jersey.
Yes IMO it would.. He will probably be out on loan next season or get another number in either case hold your horses..

Name Changed

weso26
Yes IMO it would.. He will probably be out on loan next season or get another number in either case hold your horses..
I already have Fletcher, Rooney, Ronaldo and Vidic on the back of various jerseys. They are my favourite players. I normally try and get one with a youngster on the back. I used to have Rossi.

Virtuoso

I think it would be class mate hah, go for it if you have the money I'd say. It would be a memorabilia shirt more than anything but what a fantastic memory to have attached to it! Though I think as Chirag says, he'll get another number next season and rightly so to be honest.

Name Changed

weso26
I think it would be class mate hah, go for it if you have the money I'd say. It would be a memorabilia shirt more than anything but what a fantastic memory to have attached to it! Though I think as Chirag says, he'll get another number next season and rightly so to be honest.
He'll get a new number alright. But that could be the goal that won us the league or as good as, so it would be for memorabilia reasons more than anything why I would get it on the back. Then again, it'll have to be the white jersey because it's the only spare one I have and I am not buying another jersey!

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Lazio bemoan Macheda exit - M.E.N

LAZIO president Claudio Lotito has called for a change in regulations to prevent homegrown players such as new United sensation Federico Macheda from moving abroad.

Macheda burst onto the Premier League football scene on Sunday when he came off the bench against Aston Villa to curl home a brilliant stoppage-time winner.

The 17-year-old's performance came of little surprise to Lotito, who is still upset that the former Lazio trainee was allowed to move to Old Trafford two years ago.

"We tried in every way to stop Manchester United from taking away our player but the present Italian regulations don't give you any type of defence," said Lotito.

"In reality we find ourselves in front of a proper cattle market.

"I talked repeatedly with Macheda's parents, we established a dialogue, but it was not possible to do anything. We could not compete with United's offer.

"That is not right, we have to be provided with more reliable and concrete rules than those which govern Italian clubs."

Italian clubs are prevented from tying a player under the age of 18 to a contract.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
LAZIO president Claudio Lotito has called for a change in regulations to prevent homegrown players such as new United sensation Federico Macheda from moving abroad.

Macheda burst onto the Premier League football scene on Sunday when he came off the bench against Aston Villa to curl home a brilliant stoppage-time winner.

The 17-year-old's performance came of little surprise to Lotito, who is still upset that the former Lazio trainee was allowed to move to Old Trafford two years ago.

"We tried in every way to stop Manchester United from taking away our player but the present Italian regulations don't give you any type of defence," said Lotito.

"In reality we find ourselves in front of a proper cattle market.

"I talked repeatedly with Macheda's parents, we established a dialogue, but it was not possible to do anything. We could not compete with United's offer.

"That is not right, we have to be provided with more reliable and concrete rules than those which govern Italian clubs."

Italian clubs are prevented from tying a player under the age of 18 to a contract.
Sounds fair enough to me. Every club in Europe ought to be allowed pro contracts at 16 with whatever wages they deem acceptable. Except maybe Madrid as they'd doubtless find a way to feck it all up. The answer is most definitely not, though, banning all U18 transfers.

68-99-08

Anyone else think this is the beauty of watching the academy and reserves? Keeping up with his progress over the past two seasons and seeing him do that made the goal even more special.

oskarutd

Anyone else think this is the beauty of watching the academy and reserves? Keeping up with his progress over the past two seasons and seeing him do that made the goal even more special.
That is what makes it even more special and prescious

Virtuoso

Definitely agree, I was nervous all the way through the match because of the circumstances ofcourse - but also for Macheda to come on and when he did for him to do well and grab his chance with both hands which thankfully he did to full effect. There is an added sense of loyalty felt to those players who you've seen play in training grounds for the Academy and conference stadiums in the Reserves when you see them walk out in front of 76,000 screaming fans at Old Trafford and live the dream :devil:

jb8521

Absolutely delighted for the lad he has progressed very well since christmas especially and playing up front on his own seems to have helped his development a lot

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Definitely agree, I was nervous all the way through the match because of the circumstances ofcourse - but also for Macheda to come on and when he did for him to do well and grab his chance with both hands which thankfully he did to full effect. There is an added sense of loyalty felt to those players who you've seen play in training grounds for the Academy and conference stadiums in the Reserves when you see them walk out in front of 76,000 screaming fans at Old Trafford and live the dream :devil:
Yep

datura

he will train with first team next week, our strikers are rooney,berbatov,kiko and diouf
Don't forget King either who is starting to regain the form after injury that propelled him into the Carling Cup squad.

Macheda has a chance of some game time next week for the reserves as there are games on Monday and Thursday next week.

datura

Accoring to the 'all knowing media'' he has regressed this season.....
I would have said the complete opposite as he seems to have put a lot of work into his hold-up and link play and appears a far more rounded player as a result. Unfortunately the injuries have hindered his progress of late, but I am far more optmistic about his long term potential than I was even after the goals last season.

PS18

He'd be doing well to have regressed give how few games he's played this year.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I would have said the complete opposite as he seems to have put a lot if work into his hold-up and link play and appears a far more rounded player as a result. Unfortunately the injuries have hindered his progress if late, but I an far more optmistic about his long term potential than I was even after the goals last season.
You and me both.

Decotron

I would have said the complete opposite as he seems to have put a lot of work into his hold-up and link play and appears a far more rounded player as a result. Unfortunately the injuries have hindered his progress of late, but I am far more optmistic about his long term potential than I was even after the goals last season.
I agree 100%. I thought he was terribly unlucky with injuries this year. The areas I had concerns with long term were exactly the ones I saw a marked improvement. So much so I really think an injury free Kiko would have played alot of 1st team football this season. His time will come that Im sure of.