Federico Macheda

Decotron

Macheda a fortnight from fitness

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson expects Federico Macheda to be back in a fortnight to ease the Red Devils' striker crisis.

Macheda has been limited to just five appearances this season, the last of which came in the Carling Cup quarter-final triumph over Tottenham in December.

Since then, the Italy Under-21 star has been sidelined by a calf strain.

Macheda has already been forced to abort one comeback bid but with Michael Owen out for the season and Danny Welbeck spending the remainder of the campaign on loan at Preston, the 18-year-old would offer Ferguson an alternative to his remaining three recognised strikers; Wayne Rooney, Dimitar Berbatov and untested rookie Mame Biram Diouf.

Certainly there will be no fears for Macheda's temperament, given his explosive introduction to English football last season when he scored a sensational injury-time winner against Aston Villa before netting the goal that secured a vital win at Sunderland.

And, if all goes to plan, Macheda could return within a fortnight to bolster Ferguson's attacking resources.

"Macheda started light training this week," said Ferguson.

"He has had a long-term injury which has been disappointing for us because he is such a great talent.

"But he should be back in the football side within two weeks."

Ferguson is hoping Macheda is following Owen Hargreaves on the comeback trail as, after nearly 18 months on the sidelines, the England midfielder is expected to make his long-awaited return from surgery on both knees in Thursday night's reserve team encounter with Manchester City at Altrincham.

Decotron

Think I'll hide in here for a while after that...

Given Rooneys injury Kiko could end up being an important player for us in the run in.

Hope he can get his fitness and sharpness back asap. Id imagine even after his spell out he'd still be ahead of Diouf in the pecking order?

PS18

Think Diouf must be injured, would surely have travelled if he was fit.

Girish II

Heard Welbeck was out for the season on MUTV last night too, really does leave us short up front.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Federico Macheda will stay at Manchester United next season - agent
Federico Macehda will not be leaving Manchester United on loan next season according to his agent.

The 18-year-old has been linked with a clutch of Italian clubs over recent weeks but his representative, Giovannni Bia, insists that the Red Devils have no plans to allow the forward to leave, even temporarily.

“Manchester [United] have no intention of sending him out on loan to anyone and for this reason I exclude any possibility of him being transferred in this transfer window,” Bia told the press.

Macheda made five appearances for United last season after making his debut in the previous campaign.
So no loan for him either.