Fellaini and Rooney on. Mata off.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Both of them are goalscorers.
As is Mata.

Given everything we've seen this season, Rooney was unlikely to perform better than Mata had up to that point. Which is exactly how it played out. So why bring him on?

Ash_G

Thing is how many goals does Fellaini actually score from headers? Said it last season but I don't think he's been a consistent threat from us in terms of actually getting on the end of things and I'd wager he gives away more fouls (in fairness I do think he gets harshly treated at times by refs) that he actually heads attempts at goal. Even with 10 men we were having no problem working the ball in to good areas, we didn't need his height, for me Carrick would have been a better option. Mata coming off was a poor decision for me, particularly when Rooney isn't exactly confident in front of goal right now.

Witchking

Both of them are goalscorers.
Rooney is a goal scorer? Had one great chance to score and fecked it up. Gave the bal away cheaply. What a stupid sub both were. Zlatan should have gone along with Lingard.

Will Absolute

Was I the only one who immediately started caring a bit less once Fellaini entered the pitch? It's just screams "ok, now we're just hoping to get lucky". Still plenty of time left to create something, and Mata had already created a ton of chances. Fellaini wasn't even playing up top, so I don't really know what his purpose was.
I only saw the second half, but I was excited by the fluency of our football. It felt like watching the United of old. Then Fellaini and Rooney came on, the kings of backwards and sideways passing, and it all went down the toilet. I couldn't believe Mourinho took Mata off.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
I only saw the second half, but I was excited by the fluency of our football. It felt like watching the United of old. Then Fellaini and Rooney came on, the kings of backwards and sideways passing, and it all went down the toilet. I couldn't believe Mourinho took Mata off.
Yeah, exactly. I don't think we needed to change anything - of course you can't predict what will happen, but I'm fairly certain we'd have created more chances with Mata on the pitch. They obviously didn't have the energy to actually threaten us aside from the occasional counter, which Fellaini will do absolutely nothing to protect us against. I could see the logic in putting Carrick on to get a more solid midfield, but Fellaini had no role in that game for me (no chance he could bully their central defenders) and Mata was already doing well in the position Rooney took.

Rockets Redglare

Carrick would not be the right choice to bring on. You either start him or don't play him at all, he's not gonna make an ounce of difference when you're chasing a game with ten minutes to go.

Dante

Average bang
Rooney is a goal scorer? Had one great chance to score and fecked it up. Gave the bal away cheaply. What a stupid sub both were. Zlatan should have gone along with Lingard.
Yes, of course he is.
As is Mata.

Given everything we've seen this season, Rooney was unlikely to perform better than Mata had up to that point. Which is exactly how it played out. So why bring him on?
He didn't have his finishing boots on today. Rooney has proven he can score goals, so maybe he could succeed where Mata couldn't. It was a reasonable change to make. More than reasonable... sensible.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Was saying this the other day. I find it really odd that Mata gets subbed every game.
He is easy to sub. I mean he'll never sulk, never moan and never display publicly his frustration like some big names can do. You don't substitute your best player when you need to score goals, that is just madness.

Asger

To quote myself.

The reasoning behind taking Mata off is that we're a man down in the middle and there's more need for fresh legs there.

Also Fellaini might win some of these high balls from all these set pieces that we have and he'll be better at defending them.

I don't like this change but it was probably necessary. Rooney for Lingard is fairly straightforward although I'd prefer Young or even Schneiderlin.

need for fresh legs.... Then Zlatan should have been the first man off

TheReligion

Abusive
To quote myself.

The reasoning behind taking Mata off is that we're a man down in the middle and there's more need for fresh legs there.

Also Fellaini might win some of these high balls from all these set pieces that we have and he'll be better at defending them.

I don't like this change but it was probably necessary. Rooney for Lingard is fairly straightforward although I'd prefer Young or even Schneiderlin.
Thank God there are others who understand football

Giggs86

That's my only issue with Mourinho today. Bringing in Rooney, Fellaini and Memphis when chasing to score a goal is a shocking decision. Brain-fart from Mourinho. Hope he didn't mean it and it was just a misunderstanding from his messenger. He probably wrote something like "Don't let Rooney and Fellaini anywhere near the pitch" and the guy just misread it.

Ludens the Red

I thought these were strange subs considering but it didn't have too much of a negative impact and Rooney should have actually scored.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yes, of course he is.

He didn't have his finishing boots on today. Rooney has proven he can score goals, so maybe he could succeed where Mata couldn't. It was a reasonable change to make. More than reasonable... sensible.
He did have his creating boots on today though. Those goals don't come out of thin air. Taking off our best player for someone in Rooney's form was in no way sensible, as Rooney's subsequent performance showed.

Irrational.

If we don't go down to 10 men, Mata doesn't come off. It's as simple as that. He was our best creative force on the pitch.

By leaving him on we risked Burnley countering against the run of play/ winning a random set piece and losing the game.

Correct call.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We should have kept Mata on and took out Zlatan.
I think there was an element of preservation. We were down to ten men and the long ball assault was inevitable.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Correct call my arse. We just don't bring in Rooney. Take Lingard off, put the lump on and that's it. Mata should've stayed on the pitch.

Ash_G

Yes, of course he is.

It's not like Mata was squandering clear chances like Ibra, most his chances were on the half turn, tight angles etc that he fashioned for himself. Rooney's problems in front of goal has been a long standing issue so can't really understand taking of someone who just scored a derby winner and was our best player on the day for someone who is searching for form and has been struggling in front of goal with his last display doing nothing to suggest he's getting his shooting boots back.

I can understand the logic of the Fellaini sub although I think his attacking offering is overstated but Rooney for Mata for me was an odd choice. Rooney for Ibra maybe although Ibra was doing some good stuff outside of his finishing.

Minimalist

If we don't go down to 10 men, Mata doesn't come off. It's as simple as that. He was our best creative force on the pitch.

By leaving him on we risked Burnley countering against the run of play/ winning a random set piece and losing the game.

Correct call.
Top username.

prath92

if fellaini didnt come on, then pogba would be the lone midfielder. and for a few minutes there was a lot of pressure

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
im a big fan of Mourinho but his subs are disgraceful and that didnt change today. When you play with 10 men against a lesser opponent you want as many players on the pitch that are great on the ball or at least that can offer you mobility so you can cover more ground. What we did today? Sub in 3 player that are poor on the ball and neither of them can run......insane.

Reynoldo

You just know mata would have stuck that chance rooney had low and curled into the bottom corner

Woodzy

Fellaini was very useful for the way we wer eplaying in the dying minutes I thought.

Completely lost momentum for a 10 minute spell when the sub was made though.

If anything, Depay was a worse sub and did absolutely nothing.

Clattenberg is mostly to blame for this result, although the finishing can't be excused either.

In Rainbows

How many times has Fellaini scored from headers in the past 3 seasons? Considering United have often tried to hoof it up to find Fellaini's head, those statistics must surely point to it being a pointless option. Carrick would have helped United out more.

Mata was United's best player. You don't take off your best player. Take off Rashford if you want to take off an attacker.

NK86

if fellaini didnt come on, then pogba would be the lone midfielder. and for a few minutes there was a lot of pressure
The Fellaini sub made sense in that we needed someone in the middle. But Mata should never have come off. It should have been Fellaini for Lingard with Mata moving right.

prath92

How many times has Fellaini scored from headers in the past 3 seasons? Considering United have often tried to hoof it up to find Fellaini's head, those statistics must surely point to it being a pointless option. Carrick would have helped United out more.
Him not scoring is not the point. He can create a sense of panic and this can lead to goals. Like Liverpool away last season where he sucked in 4 players and rooney scored off the rebound unmarked. Its like Klopp putting on Caulker when he was chasing games. I doubt Caulker has scored particularly highly during his career.

togg

I don't know, I always think its fair to give the manager or coaches a chance to explain why they did things. It's not as though any of us are football managers who spend day in day out analysing their players, seeing what they are perhaps useful for etc etc.

One thing that struck me from reading the match thread, is how well Mata seemed to take the Captaincy.....seemed as though it pushed him up a notch with the responsibility?

Devil may care

Schneiderlin on for Lingard and move Mata to the RW was all we needed to do, there was zero need to bring Rooney on, there never is.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I dont mind getting Rooney on and even Fellaini as them turning to be ineffective is more of a hindsight thing. But Getting either of them on for Mata was bonkers. I mean Zlatan was getting most of those chances due to Mata and he seemed to be the only one capable of scoring. If you want to get those 2 on (although not ideal) get them on for maybe someone like Lingard and Zlatan. fellaini and Pog as CM. Rash and Mata on flanks with Mata drifting in like he does and effectively playing as a CAM, and Rooney as Striker or Rooney and Mata behind Rashford

NK86

Fellaini was very useful for the way we wer eplaying in the dying minutes I thought.

Completely lost momentum for a 10 minute spell when the sub was made though.

If anything, Depay was a worse sub and did absolutely nothing.

Clattenberg is mostly to blame for this result, although the finishing can't be excused either.
Did you see that play where Rooney had the ball and was surrounded by Burnley players. Fellaini stood two yards from him like a training cone and then Rooney had to literally point him to move to make himself available for a pass. That is exactly what Fellaini's problem is. Very little positional sense either offensively or defensively. He is a ball watcher most of the times.

Irrational.

Top username.
You would rather risk losing the game with 10 men including a tiring Rashford and a Mata that had no physical presence in either box? Serious question. What other alternatives were there?

You could see Burnley increased in confidence after Herrera came off, and with the likes of Rojo on the pitch, you're always likely to concede fouls. A set piece could've proved fatal.