Fellaini watch | Retires

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Why didnt Van gaal keep this combo that caused shitty to shit the bed?
Fellaini Hererra
Carrick

If I remember it correctly we were better than them in most stats (shots, passes, possession). Always scratch my head thinking about why he didn't do it.... Fellaini on the left was almost cheating De Gea just hoof it to him and no one else can get the ball. Herrera did his thing, Carrick did his thing, Fellaini bulldozing and caused all sorts of problem up front. Looks ugly but it was really good.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Would anyone take him as interim until the end of the season?

He knows the club and he's worked with Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I always had a soft spot for the big man.

Always remember the uproar when we bought him... Funny thing is he probably wouldn't make our Top 10 worst signings post Fergie these days.

Walters_19_MuFc

Loved Fellaini when he was here. The season he had under Van Gaal as a 10/8 hybrid was really good, in my opinion, and it allowed us to mix up our game really well.

He used to get a lot of stick, but I was a big fan of his. Scored some important goals, too.

Wish him the best of luck in his retirement.

iHicksy

I had a soft spot for him cos he got criticised so much but you couldn't fault his effort.

He wasn't good enough to start for us but was good off the bench.
I never dislike players that have the mentality to play for United because it's become such a rare quality post Fergie. Players like Rafael, Fellaini, Herrera who got what it mean to play for United and weren't cowed by the size of the club are always preferred to those that perhaps have more talent but don't have the mental strength to showcase.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I never dislike players that have the mentality to play for United because it's become such a rare quality post Fergie. Players like Rafael, Fellaini, Herrera who got what it mean to play for United and weren't cowed by the size of the club are always preferred to those that perhaps have more talent but don't have the mental strength to showcase.
I really like lads like Fellaini and Young who got enormous shit from the fans for bad periods, put their heads down and ultimately did well.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Didn't think he was good enough but still had a soft spot for him. My main memory of him was when he was at Everton and he absolutely dominated us the whole game. I thought he was going to be some sort of elite player after that game

Josh 76

Why didnt Van gaal keep this combo that caused shitty to shit the bed?
Fellaini Hererra
Carrick

If I remember it correctly we were better than them in most stats (shots, passes, possession). Always scratch my head thinking about why he didn't do it.... Fellaini on the left was almost cheating De Gea just hoof it to him and no one else can get the ball. Herrera did his thing, Carrick did his thing, Fellaini bulldozing and caused all sorts of problem up front. Looks ugly but it was really good.
I remember when we smashed, Spurs, Liverpool and City in a row with this formation. It was probably the best we played consistently since the Fergie days.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Didn't think he was good enough but still had a soft spot for him. My main memory of him was when he was at Everton and he absolutely dominated us the whole game. I thought he was going to be some sort of elite player after that game
I had that same optimism after that game, remember it well

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I've always thought if we'd got him a few years earlier he would have been an incredible squad player under Fergie. He was never good enough to be a consistent starter, but he generally excelled whenever we gave him a very specific job to do (whether it was defensive or offensive) and would have been a fantastic late sub to bring on to either force something to happen or help close out a narrow lead. Need an opposition player marked out of the game? Need a super defensive DM to sit and protect the central defence? Need somebody to cause chaos in the opposition box? That's how Fellaini should have been used. Not the run of the mill central midfielder that we generally played him as which highlighted all his weaknesses and reduced how effective his strengths were.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
You’re all mad.

He was the harbinger of 10 years of disaster, the poster boy transfer for the Woodward era. A ridiculous deal, over paid for him, painfully average player, utterly useless with his head for such a tall guy, and a real disappointment when viewed through the context of the players Moyes chose not to sign.

He’s not a cult hero, he’s a joke and a very naughty boy.

That said I wish him well in his retirement. :wenger:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
You’re all mad.

He was the harbinger of 10 years of disaster, the poster boy transfer for the Woodward era. A ridiculous deal, over paid for him, painfully average player, utterly useless with his head for such a tall guy, and a real disappointment when viewed through the context of the players Moyes chose not to sign.

Josh 76

You’re all mad.

It's all nostalgia. He was frustrating most of the time. Probably because we never played to his strengths. He best games I can remember were always against Utd.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I see him as a very important piece in the evolution of fan reaction online. He preceded the era of hostility which the likes of Maguire and Rashford have been prey to. His was purely the joke era and he was arguably the greatest jokester of them all. Loved him.

ROFLUTION

He was a complete different style of player than what we should have gone for.

was great at what his style and play was for, but few top teams could probably have had succes with him

ROFLUTION

I see him as a very important piece in the evolution of fan reaction online. He preceded the era of hostility which the likes of Maguire and Rashford have been prey to. His was purely the joke era and he was arguably the greatest jokester of them all. Loved him.
I dont know, he got a lot of stick on this forum really. Maybe didnt suffer from memefication though, but still plenty of stick and scapegoatism.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He was boo'd by the home fans at Old Trafford. I can only recall Nani and Giggs suffering that at home.

But Moyes the guy who played him in the wrong role received a standing ovation

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I remember when we smashed, Spurs, Liverpool and City in a row with this formation. It was probably the best we played consistently since the Fergie days.
Indeed, could have been a really good midfield until we found better players. But Van Gaal kept changing it for some reason.

SambaBoy

I always had a soft spot for the big man.

Always remember the uproar when we bought him... Funny thing is he probably wouldn't make our Top 10 worst signings post Fergie these days.
He'd make it in the top 10 best signings post Fergie.

Got massively criticised whilst he was here but he was better than the majority of them. He was never good enough for us but wasn't a complete flop.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
The criticism he received was unfair. Yes he was a limited player but I actually thought he was decent (not great) whenever he played further up rather than as a DM. Plus he always worked his socks off and had a good mentality.

BigRon1985

Agreed! When Van Gaal's "process" worked it was as good as I've ever seen United play..............then Carrick got injured and it all fell apart! :(

Brophs

The One and Only
Agreed! When Van Gaal's "process" worked it was as good as I've ever seen United play..............then Carrick got injured and it all fell apart! :(
I’m just glad we’ve moved past the point of mistaking one player’s contribution and ability to stay fit for a ‘tactic’. ;)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Moyes himself said he knew he needed to get the first signing right, then went for Fellaini, and at a fee 4m more than we could have got him for.

It signalled a period of utter nonsense in the transfer market, without a superb manager to make it work.
Fellani, then Mata, rarely playing them in their best position, mad times.

He scored a few decent goals and always tried hard. Like someone said earlier, nowhere near the worst signings list, but it certainly set the tone in a bad way for what was to come.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I loved his mentality and personality. I wish we could install it to a lot of our signings. Does anybody remember him selling a foul? I truly don't. And the United jersey never weighed him down, good or bad he stood up to be counted.

thisisnottaken1

It was a stupid signing at first, but he ultimately managed to be a pretty useful player for us. Hope he enjoys his retirement.

stevoc

I've always thought if we'd got him a few years earlier he would have been an incredible squad player under Fergie. He was never good enough to be a consistent starter, but he generally excelled whenever we gave him a very specific job to do (whether it was defensive or offensive) and would have been a fantastic late sub to bring on to either force something to happen or help close out a narrow lead. Need an opposition player marked out of the game? Need a super defensive DM to sit and protect the central defence? Need somebody to cause chaos in the opposition box? That's how Fellaini should have been used. Not the run of the mill central midfielder that we generally played him as which highlighted all his weaknesses and reduced how effective his strengths were.
Do you think he's the type of midfielder Ferguson would have tried to sign?

His best position was as a sort fo no10 to play long to. Can't remember us ever going for a player of that profile under Ferguson.

stevoc

Moyes himself said he knew he needed to get the first signing right, then went for Fellaini, and at a fee 4m more than we could have got him for.

It signalled a period of utter nonsense in the transfer market, without a superb manager to make it work.
Fellani, then Mata, rarely playing them in their best position, mad times.

He scored a few decent goals and always tried hard. Like someone said earlier, nowhere near the worst signings list, but it certainly set the tone in a bad way for what was to come.
Because Moyes didn't want him to be signed first, he didn't want him to have that pressure on him. That worked out well.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
He won Jose a pot.

Limited and overpriced.

He'd play most games right now.

Happy retirement to him anyway he was a grafter and wish we have more.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Not a United standard player but got far too much abuse from certain parts of our support. He has had an excellent career and all the best to him on his retirement.

Guapa

All the best big man.
Far from our worst signing ever in hindsight compared to some of the charlatans we have at the club right now.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He was boo'd by the home fans at Old Trafford. I can only recall Nani and Giggs suffering that at home.

Says a lot about United fans. It's only gotten worse.

AllezLesDiables

He was unfairly targeted for United’s gaffs in transfer window. He was a good depth piece, but United has continued to completely botch its midfield decisions since Fergie retired.

He was never the problem.

Oscar Bonavena

He was one of those players who would be devastating in a team that played to his strengths, put him in an advanced position and hit it long for him to hold it up and bring others into the game. And a great asset at defending and attacking set pieces.

A Sam Allardyce managed team would have been perfect for Fellaini!

But he never quite had the technical nous required to be the type of player that United needed.

I think it was a home game v Bayern in the CL that the fans were ironically cheering him when he passed the ball to a teammate, I hated to see that. That's worse than booing a player on your team in my opinion!

Anyway, best of luck to him in his retirement.

Revaulx

Very much this.

His reputation never recovered from his awful first season, which was entirely the result of Moyes’ bizarre and idiotic misuse of him. Bizarre because one would have presumed he’d have noticed his strengths and weaknesses in the time he was managing him at his previous club.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He was useful squad player. I will always remember him for EL final where he was MOTM and destroyed those Ajax midgets.